Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m at a hotel and they have hbo comedy channel and it’s awesome. Like ifc was in the early 2000s. No ads and the programming has been really good. Better than Netflix binging for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

has anyone been able to stomach an episode of irma vep yet. I tried

For what it’s worth I watched it while super nauseated and trying to fall asleep last week. I fell asleep and didn’t hurl so… I stomached it?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I want to watch Ms Marvel because I liked the comics but a few things bug me:

1. Them chickening out of using her actual powers
2. I can't imagine not hurling at the self praise for the Avengers in the show.

I don't know if #2 is true or not but I really can't stand the thought of watching a show pretend the Avengers is the best thing in the world. Do they tone that part down at all?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Fartington Butts posted:

For what it’s worth I watched it while super nauseated and trying to fall asleep last week. I fell asleep and didn’t hurl so… I stomached it?

Wait is it like a cool psychedelic thing or just boring or something

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Timby posted:

I don't get the whining about ads.

Like, isn't the point of being in business to make money? Sure, gently caress capitalism and gently caress CEOs who make a dollar while the rank and file make a dime, but are these companies just supposed to provide poo poo for free?
🙄🙄
Imagine ceding a rhetorical inch as a consumer, as they put us all in medieval torture devices. Get your mind outta this empathy for vampires.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Just as HBO Max started promoting the Anthony Bourdain documentary, they took down all but the first season of Parts Unknown.

Also, the new version of Father of the Bride is horrible. But also apparently HBO Max's most watched original content ever.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Timby posted:

I don't get the whining about ads.

Like, isn't the point of being in business to make money? Sure, gently caress capitalism and gently caress CEOs who make a dollar while the rank and file make a dime, but are these companies just supposed to provide poo poo for free?

The reason they have to put ads on their content is because they are spending millions on trash that they cancel after 1 season because an algorithm told them it would be a hit.
The consumers shouldn’t be punished because of their abysmal business decisions, but they are, so people turn to the easier ad free method when they do.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The vast majority of streaming services are not free, but the trend is heading towards paid content with ads. What are you talking about "supposed to provide poo poo for free"?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Watched the latest bond film on prime. Seemed like the worst Craig bond to me. Rami Malek felt like diet store brand soda as a villain compared to previous actors.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

worms butthole guy posted:

I don't know if #2 is true or not but I really can't stand the thought of watching a show pretend the Avengers is the best thing in the world. Do they tone that part down at all?

I agree to 1 but also it could look super terrible

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The more i think about a film like Everything Everywhere at Once the more I find its basic bitch sentiments cloying and fake to a near point of vileness. Maybe that's more of a statement of how jaded I am in general but I'm almost glad the film didn't work on me despite my heart being very open to it.
There's far more heart, genuine emotion, and reflection of "the Asian experience" in say, RRR's Passion of the Komaram Bheem even with how big and silly of a movie it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VmgpHUld8o

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This Is Going to Hurt ended up being pretty gutting and a hard watch.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It does say it right in the title

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

worms butthole guy posted:

It's a fun show, just give it a shot. Yes she's an Avengers fan and yes her powers are more like Green Lantern than the comics. Definitely has a Homecoming feel.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The more i think about a film like Everything Everywhere at Once the more I find its basic bitch sentiments cloying and fake to a near point of vileness. Maybe that's more of a statement of how jaded I am in general but I'm almost glad the film didn't work on me despite my heart being very open to it.
There's far more heart, genuine emotion, and reflection of "the Asian experience" in say, RRR's Passion of the Komaram Bheem even with how big and silly of a movie it is.

...basic bitch sentiments?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's very reductive to boil Everything Everywhere All At Once and RRR down to movies about "the Asian experience."

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 21, 2022

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I agree, anyone can live laugh love, not just the Chinese.

edit: As for RRR, I don't see how it's reductive to say that it's about the Indian national identity, a subject of profound and complex significance.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 21, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You're right, it's also about how much we've lost hope in our institutions on this goshdang hell planet ever since jojujabacca got elected president, googly eyes, and "accepting" your fat gay daughter in the most half-hearted and tedious way possible

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Meltdown May was last month

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Goons really using "meltdown" in the loosest terms these days arent they lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

lament.cfg posted:

Meltdown May was last month

On SA it's year-round

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Goons really using "meltdown" in the loosest terms these days arent they lol

Nobody liked "Getting A Bit Miffed June"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nihonniboku posted:

Just as HBO Max started promoting the Anthony Bourdain documentary, they took down all but the first season of Parts Unknown.

Also, the new version of Father of the Bride is horrible. But also apparently HBO Max's most watched original content ever.

Didn’t they move all the Parts Unknown stuff to CNN+ during its brief existence? Maybe there’s still some rights weirdness due to that disaster.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Not sure why you're comparing two movies that couldn't be more different?

Sounds like what you want from a movie starring Chinese actors is something more like The Battle of Chosin Reservoir where the outgunned and outequipped volunteer army heroically fight off the better equipped American invaders. It also contains gloriously over the top action and incredible violence, but no supernatural stuff (because that's outlawed, and also ahistorical), and unlike RRR it doesn't downplay the revolutionary communism of any of its historical figures (because it's funded by the PRC government).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aHDj84CcsY

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 21, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nobody liked "Getting A Bit Miffed June"
"Slightly Jerk rear end Movie Opinion I Disagree With June"
Hey maybe it's a statement on the relative mood of the forums being chill if that's what a "meltdown" is these days

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Sounds like what you want from a movie starring Chinese actors is something more like The Battle of Chosin Reservoir where the outgunned and outequipped volunteer army heroically fight off the better equipped American invaders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aHDj84CcsY
No, no, that's not really what I meant. More like, how genuine the sentiments of one felt compared to the corniness of the other. For a film that emotionally resonated with so many people, Everything Everywhere just felt cloying and fake to me. I get why the comparison feels out of nowhere.

I do have that movie on my watchlist tho, wish I'd caught it in theaters.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I watched Titane on Hulu the other day. I liked it a lot and can see why it won all those awards, but I’m not really sure what to say about it other than it’s extremely French.

edit: ok, I do have one thing to say and it’s that the scene with the Future Islands song was extremely beautiful.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 22, 2022

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I just watched RRR yesterday and overall it was a good time but like the other recent 3 hr film about a superhero cop The Batman I feel like they could have easily shaved 30-40 minutes off the runtime and been better for it

And I don't even mean all the over-the-top action scenes, most of the exposition scenes could have been halved and it would have been a good call

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah agreed, as much as I loved it by the time we get to the childhood flashback i was totally exhausted
And they def coulda cut some of the jenny stuff honestly the film's general instinct to give most of the white women (other than Anime Villainess Whip Lady) a pass can get weird, like, did jenny know she was with a kidnapped child???

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There are two white female characters in the movie and one is the worst person in the entire movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
True but the only white people to show any humanity or friendliness are white women (the white lady who asks her psycho soldier biker bf to stop beating Komuram, or like, every white lady at the party being like NO NO LET EM DANCE!!) but I guess that's fair tbh...Jenny just gets a major pass.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It is pretty weird that she's in the final freeze frame.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 22, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I know what you're thinking you see Mickey Rourke and your thinking this is a goona be a great movie

Warhunt is not a movie

Don't even try

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah agreed, as much as I loved it by the time we get to the childhood flashback i was totally exhausted
And they def coulda cut some of the jenny stuff honestly the film's general instinct to give most of the white women (other than Anime Villainess Whip Lady) a pass can get weird, like, did jenny know she was with a kidnapped child???

they definitely show jenny as super naive but I assumed she fully got on board with helping plot her family's downfall during the barbed wire flogging scene

and yeah not only was the first childhood flashback too long but then they go back there! my SO said all Indian blockbusters are padded to hell like that but i'm not really familiar with the genre

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

For a film that emotionally resonated with so many people, Everything Everywhere just felt cloying and fake to me. I get why the comparison feels out of nowhere.

Big Hamilton energy?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Big Hamilton energy?
Yeah, I guess in the sense of there being a disconnect between me and true believers but of course Everything Everywhere isnt anywhere on the level of obnoxious poison cringe that Hamilton achieves with gettin a buncha black people to do really lame rapping grandma rear end raps as white slaveowners (a buncha jackasses so stupid they thought the analysis to derive of roman history was "cicero was sooooo cool") for dipshit libs
I actually kinda liked and was charmed by Everything Everywhere in moments, just got a lot more misses than hits. I still look forward to what else the Daniels do next, I liked Swiss Army Men and Dicky Long...and Everything Everywhere definitely has a lot of effort crammed into every moment, it's hard to deny it tries hard. Very hard. Whatever they do next will prolly be worth seeing at least.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 22, 2022

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Everything Everywhere does a lot of technically impressive stuff and visually looks great, whereas Hamilton is oatmeal mush for neolibs to clap at. It’s not a fair comparison at all.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah there's so much effort put into it by so many talented artists. It really goes for broke. I just didn't click with its heart, humor, or sensibilities past that loud and impressive technical spectacle. I'll actually rewatch it someday whereas you gotta pay me a lot of money to see Hamilton once.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s so visually super dense and has such breakneck pacing that I can totally see it not click with someone. I think it’s something that really improves with multiple viewings. I was pretty ambivalent about it at first but it’s grown on me.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Does anyone know when the Beavis and Butt-Head movie goes up on Paramount? I know it's supposed to be tomorrow but I don't know if it goes live at midnight or at some other hour.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macrame_God posted:

Does anyone know when the Beavis and Butt-Head movie goes up on Paramount? I know it's supposed to be tomorrow but I don't know if it goes live at midnight or at some other hour.

wait, that soon??? :sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I didn't think Everything Everywhere was a life changing masterpiece but I was really entertained by it and thought it was well worth seeing in the cinema. Appreciated it was trying to do something different with the action even if the dramatic moments didn't fully land for me.