Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i was a big fan of this bad argument

We all agreed though: the xbox layout is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Mescal posted:

can we go back to talking about controller button placement

Sure, why settle for mere letters when you can have hieroglyphs:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CharlestheHammer posted:

People need to realize art is just whatever it’s not actually all that special.

Yeah lol

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Lol at wireless anything that doesn't need to be mobile.

"Hey guys look at my new wireless keyboard that literally never moves from its spot and now I have to always be aware of its charge and wondering if it might be running out of battery soon even though the entire problem could be solved with a cable that will outlast the life of the device, that I also would never even notice."

"Hey guys my new wireless mouse that also never leaves my desk sure is great, check out how it can get close to not having lag but never be actually fully without lag, see check this out. Oh wait it's not working sorry haha the battery must have died since I only charged it up last week. Or the week before, I can never remember. No problem though, I'll just find the charging cable or purchase a new battery and change it out and we'll be back to having fun in no time!"

Fuckin EL-OH-EL at all that nonsense.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 21, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
me: changes the aaa batteries like a normal person

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they have low battery warnings, OP

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

they have low battery warnings, OP

Tangential pet peeve, but the Xbox series controller doesn’t.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
dont they do it on the OS level

which isn't ideal but hey

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

dont they do it on the OS level

which isn't ideal but hey

On pc? It’s hard to even check what the battery level is. I think you need to use the windows store controller app.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GreatGreen posted:

OK boomer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rinkles posted:

On pc? It’s hard to even check what the battery level is. I think you need to use the windows store controller app.

i thought a little overlay popped up when you hit the xbox button but it's been a while since i used an xbox controller on PC

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

the xbox game bar thing shows the battery level

a more active notification would be nice though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also yeah it's a UWB Garbage App but it works at least and honestly isn't like, that much worse than the software that comes with most peripherals

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, it's ridiculous and I have story about this. I wanted to check the battery level and it said I had to update the firmware, and in the process it bricked the controller. The controller was like a month old, MS would not replace it, I couldn't even find the right department, they kept sending me to the xbox division where they asked for my gamer tag or whatever, and said they couldn't help me without an Xbox on my account. Luckily Best Buy was nice and replaced it a week out of their warranty period. I kind of wish I had a PS5 controller, but I use it so little I don't want to spend the money.

Also on the wireless thing, I run wires for charging under the desk and attach them by my mouse and headphones and also my keyboard so when they need charging I can just reach under and pull the wire and plug it in.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i thought a little overlay popped up when you hit the xbox button but it's been a while since i used an xbox controller on PC

repiv posted:

the xbox game bar thing shows the battery level

a more active notification would be nice though

you're right, i forgot. thanks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

someone made a little utility that pops a notification when the battery is nearly dead

https://github.com/NiyaShy/XB1ControllerBatteryIndicator

why isn't this a standard feature microsoft

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

someone made a little utility that pops a notification when the battery is nearly dead

why doesn't the screenshot button do anything, microsoft?

(it does, but only on windows 11)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mescal posted:

can we go back to talking about controller button placement

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

press x

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

have you tested this yourself? for me it's stuck on this

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the github page says that's expected and goes away after a button press

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

the github page says that's expected and goes away after a button press

Thank you for troubleshooting for me, but this is the relevant part for me

"Series X/S controllers connected via Bluetooth won't report any or a completely wrong battery level. This seems to be an issue with Microsofts BT implementation and I can't do anything about it. See Issue #49 for details"

but the issue thread included a link to an alternative that does work for me

https://github.com/tommaier123/XBatteryStatus/tree/V1.0.1

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

however, I just noticed that Game Bar gives a completely different battery leveling reading so I guess I'll see if this utility actually works

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

GreatGreen posted:

"Hey guys my new wireless mouse that also never leaves my desk sure is great, check out how it can get close to not having lag but never be actually fully without lag, see check this out. Oh wait it's not working sorry haha the battery must have died since I only charged it up last week. Or the week before, I can never remember. No problem though, I'll just find the charging cable or purchase a new battery and change it out and we'll be back to having fun in no time!"

Or you put in two of your charged batteries and put the empty ones in the charger.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GhostDog posted:

Or you put in two of your charged batteries and put the empty ones in the charger.

do I have crappy rechargeables, or are they supposed to last much less long than disposable batteries?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
people itt probably don't even know that trackmice are the way to play FPS games

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cheap rechargables are poo poo, invest in some eneloops (or eneloop rebrands, ikea have some for example) and a smart charger to keep them in good condition

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GreatGreen posted:

my favorite part of my wireless mouse is that I am a dumbass who forgets it all the time

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Rinkles posted:

do I have crappy rechargeables, or are they supposed to last much less long than disposable batteries?

They do generally not last quite as long I think, but not to the point where it should be an issue. I've been using eneloop for years and they've been fine.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is the ideal gamer setup. not reading any replies

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

GhostDog posted:

Maybe I'm really lazy but this sounds like way too much work and preplanning just to get rid of a cord.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

OK but you have to tell me, is that a loving PCMCIA mouse?

E or are those screws on the side for attaching like its a serial port or something?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Feels Villeneuve posted:

rehosted since the hotlinked image wasn't showing up for me:

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I have a Logitech m705. I have to change the two AA batteries every 2-3 years and there is no discernable lag. Also, I didn't notice how annoying mouse cords are until going from wired to wireless and back.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Another vote for Eneloop here; I've had my set for over a decade and one of them has been running my G604 for three weeks now without the level indicator budging yet.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

GhostDog posted:

Or... you just buy a wired mouse that's objectively better and that doesn't require you to keep track of anything at all.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Oh snap, I'm in the Tactical Breach Wizards beta. :hellyeah:

Check yer emails if you signed up.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

What kind of trash are y'all buying that you even have to care about the charge in wireless keyboard/mice?

I've had a logitech keyboard for over a decade that has needed its batteries changed once ever. The mouse just needs a couple of hours of USB charging once a month.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Finally got around to playing MGS Revengeance after picking it up last week for $7.

Is this one of those games where you have to install a community bug patch and/or gently caress around in the nvidia control panel? It’s been quite buggy so far. Took several attempts before I could set game resolution without it locking up, crashed once after loading the first level, etc.

Right now I’m stuck on finishing off the Metal Ray. After jumping across all the missiles and taking it down, something throws Raiden way up in the sky and then the game softlocks with him looking extremely upset and hovering high in the air on his back.

Retried the boss three times and same thing happens each time. Gonna try forcing a locked 60fps in the control panel and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Wonderlands is coming to Steam the 23rd. Much shorter EGS exclusivity than BL3. It’s supposed to launch at a reduced price.

You played it right? Is it any good?