Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you put a gun to my head, the D'deridex is probably my favorite design of any star ship in any series.

That episode of DS9 where the joint Cardassian and Romulan fleets go attack the wrong Founders planet, mmmmmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
good on you for answering instead of becoming the latest Trek Ship Questionnaire killer victim

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MikeJF posted:

I feel like 90% of the background staff on the D should've been in blue.

Most of the background folks were gold is my gut feeling, and that sort of smells right -- a ship like the Enterprise needs a lot of people keeping it at tip-top shape (Engineering) plus the mishmash that is Ops: managing subsystems, overseeing and reallocating space/resources, crew training, anthropology and cultural sciences (assuming this falls under the same rubric as TOS -- thinking Marla McIvers here), actually operating the ship's systems, and other miscellaneous "keep the ship and its functions running" duties.

I do agree we should have seen more blue, but half of the time we saw blue it seemed like it was medical, not science. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch but for named science blues I can only think of a few offhand: Bruce Maddox, Picard's astrophysics squeeze, Tapestry Picard, and the Benzites; Data (and to a much lesser extent Geordi) did most of the sciencin' on TNG.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khanstant posted:

good on you for answering instead of becoming the latest Trek Ship Questionnaire killer victim

Yes but now I wear my love of the Romulan aesthetic around my neck like a millstone

Well, not their TNG unis, they look like motel bedspreads.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 21, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I love Probert's designs and the thought that he puts into them, but the dude can come across as real prickly sometimes.

Yeah, Probert is kind of a huge prick. When they altered the Enterprise-D model for All Good Things, he had an absolute unhinged meltdown over it, despite him not having worked on TNG for years at that point. Like full on “how DARE a you defile my magnum opus with their garbage” stuff. And he is still, decades on, seething mad that the Galaxy-X exists and will trash it any chance he gets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Galaxy isn't that good of a design...

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Lester Shy posted:

There's a serious lack of blue uniforms in all of the 90s shows. I wonder if those costumes were harder to make look good on camera or more expensive or something.

I'm guessing it's because they tended to use blue screens instead of green for sfx shots back then.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Probert is kind of a huge prick. When they altered the Enterprise-D model for All Good Things, he had an absolute unhinged meltdown over it, despite him not having worked on TNG for years at that point. Like full on “how DARE a you defile my magnum opus with their garbage” stuff. And he is still, decades on, seething mad that the Galaxy-X exists and will trash it any chance he gets.

To be fair, have you see the Gal-X? It is absolute trash and deserves that scorn.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Galaxy-X represents a future timeline where things are all hosed up and the design serves that purpose exquisitely

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just don't get what a third nacelle is supposed to do

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

It's for loving.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

The Galaxy-X represents a future timeline where things are all hosed up and the design serves that purpose exquisitely

I don't know how anyone can watch All Good Things, look at the Galaxy-X and not come away with that take, honestly. It is the perfect visual encapsulation of everything "wrong" with Picard's hosed up AGT future. Getting mad at it for... doing its job is dumb.

zoux posted:

It makes it go faster.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Should've been an AWACS dish or some kinda conning tower

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

zoux posted:

Non-warp drive, just supplies warp power to shields and weapons?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zoux posted:

It's for warp 13 dude, where the entire universe is transformed into lizards that gently caress

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Or simply backup/redundancy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

V-Men posted:

I also feel like Operations should wear red rather than yellow for tactical/security/engineering, but maybe the red would have clashed with Spiner's skin paint? No impossible he looked hella awesome in red.

I thought Spiner's paint was the reason they switched the uniform colors from TOS in the first place.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Delsaber posted:

Should've been an AWACS dish or some kinda conning tower

The Galaxy with the Nebula AWACS variant dish would look loving hilarious and I suddenly need to see this monstrosity rendered out by someone.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Galaxy-X is, canonically, a bad ship that Q made bad on purpose to prank Picard

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Winifred Madgers posted:

Non-warp drive, just supplies warp power to shields and weapons?

Warp core provides power, nacelles are just where the warp coils are, and they draw plasma through EPS from the warp core.

Also I know there are some rando one nacelle ships in the Kelvin timeline, but I think that the Galx is the first odd-numbered nacelle ship we see.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The way I remember it being explained was that each nacelle had two pairs of coils for an even set making the third one ok according to the "rules"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

No Dignity posted:

The Galaxy-X is, canonically, a bad ship that Q made bad on purpose to prank Picard

:smug: "Ah, mon capitan, you shouldn't be mad at me for this design. This was provided to me by 20th Century publishers Simon and Schuster through the Starship Creator program. All the pieces were there, I merely made them fit"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Warp core provides power, nacelles are just where the warp coils are, and they draw plasma through EPS from the warp core.

Also I know there are some rando one nacelle ships in the Kelvin timeline, but I think that the Galx is the first odd-numbered nacelle ship we see.

The old Franz Joseph TOS technical manual had tons of one- and three-nacelle ship design proposals, but yeah the Gal-X is the first one that shows up on screen at least.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What's warp about the warp core then? If its just for energy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

The Galaxy isn't that good of a design...

Yes, it can't be merely good when it is actually great

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's just a matter-antimatter reaction chamber. Romulans use a naked singularity in place of a warp core.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Pee is stored in the warp core

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

nine-gear crow posted:

The Galaxy with the Nebula AWACS variant dish would look loving hilarious and I suddenly need to see this monstrosity rendered out by someone.

Got some mixed results here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I love Probert's designs and the thought that he puts into them, but the dude can come across as real prickly sometimes.

I kind of enjoyed his "I don't know, I was just doing a job" types of answers to leading questions. The guys asking him questions are expecting that he was heavily drawing from other places and was trying to make lore tie together and he's just "yeah, it looks like a bird. Dunno why it's green?"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Delsaber posted:

Got some mixed results here

Oh so that's how they design stuff for discovery

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

T.C. posted:

I kind of enjoyed his "I don't know, I was just doing a job" types of answers to leading questions. The guys asking him questions are expecting that he was heavily drawing from other places and was trying to make lore tie together and he's just "yeah, it looks like a bird. Dunno why it's green?"

That’s always one of my favorite things - when artists produce something that has such an impact, and when asked what the meaning behind it all was, they’re just “yeah idk I was just fuckin around lol”.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

This is violence.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Probert rules, Eaves droolz

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

jeeves posted:

Probert rules, Eaves droolz

Wah Chang to rule them all.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The old Franz Joseph TOS technical manual had tons of one- and three-nacelle ship design proposals, but yeah the Gal-X is the first one that shows up on screen at least.

I think there was one in the wolf 359 debris field too.

Anyways, the Galaxy-X looks better to me than the Galaxy because the third nacelle adds some balance to the design. The D's comically big saucer relative to the secondary hull and nacelles always looked dumb to me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

I think there was one in the wolf 359 debris field too.

Anyways, the Galaxy-X looks better to me than the Galaxy because the third nacelle adds some balance to the design. The D's comically big saucer relative to the secondary hull and nacelles always looked dumb to me.

Yep, the Freedom-class:

E: Oh and the Niagara-class too:

So yeah I was wrong, Best of Both Worlds is the first place it happens...ish.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 22, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can’t count derelict kitbashes :colbert:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Strange New Worlds had the USS Archer in the first episode

It only had a crew of three, but with it having no windows looking to not have much interior space, I'm guessing it's supposed to be like a TOS version of a Runabout. A longer range small ship, but it can't land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
All one nacelle designs look so dumb but the whole “crew of three” thing was so stupid.