Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tarnop posted:

Despite weeks of the consent manufacturing machine running full time:

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1539277133352259584

How do we have a Tory government and a brexit when the UK public... Doesn't seem so bad? Have they got better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How do we have a Tory government and a brexit when the UK public... Doesn't seem so bad? Have they got better?

34% of the popular vote is enough for a majority if that's mostly rural areas.

Brexit is more complicated because there's the "this is poo poo tear it all down" vote as well as the true believers

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
we have public rail and buses in NI so everything was normal today

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/21/labour-frontbenchers-likely-to-be-disciplined-for-joining-rail-pickets

quote:

Starmer did not make a public appearance on Tuesday

Amazing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

we have public rail and buses in NI so everything was normal today

There was talk about bus strikes in NI back in May but not sure what happened, forget.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sir Steir Koward

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
i don't have the loving words anymore

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Apraxin posted:

On the side of the public.*

* of who 58% say the strike is justified.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
More bad news for Starmer.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/ford-mondeo-to-be-axed/n22845

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Mondeo man has a lot to answer for.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Apraxin posted:

hiding like a freak worked well for johnson in 2019 I guess

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

serious gaylord posted:

Mondeo man has a lot to answer for.

if they renamed the coaches on the trains gti, 1.6, 1.8, S, i; then maybe I'll see the point in travelling by public transport

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Maybe we need to bring back the Independent Labour Party.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Cocks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We like the public except the parts of the public who are striking or who think striking is good, they are not serious parts of the public and we are very serious.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Kieths strategy of being nice and sensible and hoping the tabloids aren’t mean to him continues to pay off I see

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Clearly the damned left wing of the party is out to embarass the extremely sensible suhkier.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is there any reason this rail strike in particular has gotten so much media attention? I don't remember any of the other rail strikes in the last decade rattling the right like this.

"Day we went back to the 70s". It's three days of trains running a limited schedule like they do all the time for various reasons. Get a loving grip.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's the biggest combined national rail strike in 40 years, with a lot of other unions balloting, criminal barristers about to refuse new instructions from next week, and a Conservative prime minister very much on the ropes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Kieths strategy of being nice and sensible and hoping the tabloids aren’t mean to him continues to pay off I see

"PLEASE REMEMBER THE MAGGIE TIMES PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WE NEED YOU TO THINK OF THE MAGGIE PLEASE STOP NOTICING THE TORIES ARE poo poo AND AWFUL THINK OF THE MAGGIE PLEASE"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

It's the biggest combined national rail strike in 40 years, with a lot of other unions balloting, criminal barristers about to refuse new instructions from next week, and a Conservative prime minister very much on the ropes.

Stop bringing history into this unless you're remembering the Maggie times. Remember when she defeated the unions? All praise the Maggie times.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

stev posted:

Is there any reason this rail strike in particular has gotten so much media attention? I don't remember any of the other rail strikes in the last decade rattling the right like this.

"Day we went back to the 70s". It's three days of trains running a limited schedule like they do all the time for various reasons. Get a loving grip.

I think it's the largest in terms of the national impact on train services. So it's noteworthy for that.
Plus, as the Tories have been briefing anyone who'll listen, this is coming at a time of massively increased pressure on the cost of living that they caused and so it will have a financial impact on the people who can't get to work because their train/tube has been cancelled.

The last Tube strike got a lot of attention in London - mostly because (I suspect) some prominent BBC execs were too gakked out over the Jubilee weekend to remember about it and therefore had to resort to getting a bus.

Also, let's ignore the cuts to TfL services because the Tories are playing politics with people's commute in the long-run, hoping it'll pay off at the next Mayoral election.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

can’t wait for Boris to reach deep into his bag of tricks and bring out another dead cat for everyone to enjoy

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

In some ways its quite apt, since the final straw in 1979 that finally proved that social democracy could never work and the unions had to be destroyed was people missing three bin collections in a row.

Last time I was down at my Dad's and we turned to talking politics I asked him if the current sense of national-scale "it's all hosed and won't get better" was closer to how things were in the 70s or the end of Thatcher's time in the 80s. He said that he felt and saw more similarities with the tail end of the Major government.

But then we talked about what it was like in the 70s with all the turmoil, strikes, social strife and general malaise...and while it sounds pretty poo poo I can't honestly say that it sounds any more terrible than the past five years or so have been - certainly not enough to justify all the Ooga-Booga :ghost: The 70s :ghost: stuff. Dad was in his 20s and living in London during the decade and his summation was basically "there was loads of social division, it felt like everyone was at each other's throats, everything was run-down and tired, all the services felt on the verge of collapse and it seemed that Britain was in terminal decline."

Isn't it the case (perhaps articulated ITT?) that a load of social metrics that benefit ordinary people were at something of a peak in the 70s (before the 1973 energy crisis) and showed signs of recovering towards the end of the decade, and that the 70s was really only uniquely, horrifically awful for you if you were rich enough to run a newspaper publishing group?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TACD posted:

can’t wait for Boris to reach deep into his bag of tricks and bring out another dead cat for everyone to enjoy

We already know about his tendency for rank pussy tbf.

That is a solid joke and if you probate me you're a coward.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Mother loving :kiss:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Apraxin posted:

ah yes, the strikers famously being fey tricksters from the outer planes and not members of the public

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So some absolute fucker created a bet365 account for me at the start of the month. They used my name, an old email address, my home address, my date of birth, what I think is an old phone number, possibly a very out of date debit card. I've got the password to it, timed it out for a month and sent them a very sternly worded email, and changed my password on that email account and added 2FA. Is there anything else I can or should do? How scared/angry should I be? What the gently caress were they up to?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Dabir posted:

So some absolute fucker created a bet365 account for me at the start of the month. They used my name, an old email address, my home address, my date of birth, what I think is an old phone number, possibly a very out of date debit card. I've got the password to it, timed it out for a month and sent them a very sternly worded email, and changed my password on that email account and added 2FA. Is there anything else I can or should do? How scared/angry should I be? What the gently caress were they up to?

Well I'd let your bank know, and possibly sign up for one of those credit check identity theft protection things if you can afford it? Experian do it free for 30 days then £19.99/month which seems a bit steep. I think I used to be signed up with one of them (can't remember if it was experian or not) for more like £7/month which included some amount of free monitoring/alerts of new accounts set up etc.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Whoever it was wasn't able to get any money on the account, if the card they used is one of mine it's so old I don't recognise the number, so I probably don't need to contact my bank. I timed the account out as well, so nobody can do anything with it for 30 days. I'll look into this Experian thing I guess.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Dabir posted:

Whoever it was wasn't able to get any money on the account, if the card they used is one of mine it's so old I don't recognise the number, so I probably don't need to contact my bank. I timed the account out as well, so nobody can do anything with it for 30 days. I'll look into this Experian thing I guess.

I used a thing called ClearScore when my ex housemate managed to take out four phone contracts in a row in my name. I think it was free and they periodically send me an email saying “nothing unusual on your credit file”. Years ago since I used it but worth a look.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I use Credit Karma. They're all much of a muchness really, but that one is free.

Natwest also provide free credit checks on their app now, not sure if the other banks do.

Sorry what happened to you, Dabir, anyway. Whether or not you've been robbed, knowing that someone has violated your privacy is a gross feeling, either online or irl.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I signed up to a few years ago when we were buying a house and it took experian almost 4 years to notice I've got a mortgage

Which is quite worrying really

Credit Karma or Clearscore seem to do the job a lot better

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I was advised to sign up for protective registration with CIFAS after a series of fraudulent store card applications in my name. They also put a flag on your credit file so any future applications (including your own legitimate ones) have to jump through a bunch of extra hoops.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

Isn't it the case (perhaps articulated ITT?) that a load of social metrics that benefit ordinary people were at something of a peak in the 70s (before the 1973 energy crisis) and showed signs of recovering towards the end of the decade, and that the 70s was really only uniquely, horrifically awful for you if you were rich enough to run a newspaper publishing group?
Mid 70s were about the best time on record for new houses being built with heating and plumbing and people who needed houses getting to live in those houses, for kids leaving school with qualifications and getting jobs with union representation and career progression, improvements in smog reduction and disease eradication, and all that other stuff that's useful for society but doesn't treat you like a special little trooper for being born a minor aristocrat or owning a dozen houses or a newspaper.

But it was also the peak of National Front support, Clapton and Bowie going publicly fash, and Mary Whitehouse having a normal one at Genesis of the Daleks, so the egg for Thatcher's 'swamped by people with a different culture' rhetoric was definitely laid and rotting, there was a core that saw racism and homophobia in British society and said "yes please, more of that."

Dabir posted:

I'd bet someone's got the database from an online shop you ordered from a way back.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

I use Credit Karma.

yeah but he's broken almost all of his leadership campaign promises

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Dabir posted:

break their legs if they live close enough imo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
When I had suspicious activity on a card I signed up for CIFAS. It only lasts 2 years IIRC but means members double check credit applications with your details.

NB not all companies use CIFAS so it's not 100% foolproof.

Unrelated:
As I'm in rural France with dodgy internet for another few days and using my phone I'm a bit confused on the Apsana Begum thing. Can't work out if it is her supporters supposedly disrupting things or others disrupting her.
Anyone fill me in?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/HatokTalk/status/1539277457001353216

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Absolutely obsessed with the very real possibility that a Sun photographer drove their young daughter out to Waterloo last night and made her stand in the empty station with a toy rabbit and a bag, to give the impression that there are now just unaccompanied child evacuees wandering desolately through our nation's rail stations. Our brave tots, tired but unbowed by the monstrous strikes, determined against all odds to find their way back to their parents.

I can't really cope with this stupid bloody country any more.