Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

its hosed up but i dont see the point of an nyt story about it. its a problem that should be addressed by people who live in china

just like our own country’s deep flaws with aggressive militarism, police murdering black activists and covering it up, deep corruption and dysfunction on every level of the political system, politicians and hollywood sickos getting away with pedophilia with the blessing of US intelligence, etc. maybe the nyt should cover that stuff instead of pointing out china does mass surveillance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Antonymous posted:

I had a chinese friend say to me the other day, living in the USA, "At least in America you have real courts, and police that can't just decide you're guilty and arrest you"

and I was like ???????????????????

Our propaganda is really good, if you live here in a privileged bubble you can just ignore how fuckin broken our police and courts are

In fairness they quite often don't bother with the 'arrest' part.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Antonymous posted:

I had a chinese friend say to me the other day, living in the USA, "At least in America you have real courts, and police that can't just decide you're guilty and arrest you"

Our propaganda is really good, if you live here in a privileged bubble you can just ignore how fuckin broken our police and courts are

the 'china must be worse than us' copium is a helluva drug this decade

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Antonymous posted:

people just dont know that stuff. i had a chinese friend tell me i was lucky because in america university education is free, unlike china where her family had to pay to send her

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

fart simpson posted:

people just dont know that stuff. i had a chinese friend tell me i was lucky because in america university education is free, unlike china where her family had to pay to send her

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's just people don't know. It's very common for people here to say that the US has checks and balances and that corrupt officials are held accountable, unlike MY country where POLITICIANS SUCK.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChannelNewsAsia/status/1539259042425602049

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

fart simpson posted:

Lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fart simpson posted:

I wonder if the coming Supreme Court decision will lead to a gradual decline of people outside the US claiming to have Miranda rights that were never read to them. (people watching movies and call 911 instead of the real number + complain about first amendment too)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

drat. sounds important. unfortunately it’s a video so I will take their word for it.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1539194683208908805

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1539194863681429506

meanwhile the US is only contracting wellness surveillance!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1538595420108120064

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

fart simpson posted:

Now I just need a story of a Chinese friend think Americans have better health system and that will clinch the night for me.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Aas long as they don't monitor wechat log they are still getting nothing.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

I wonder if the coming Supreme Court decision will lead to a gradual decline of people outside the US claiming to have Miranda rights that were never read to them. (people watching movies and call 911 instead of the real number + complain about first amendment too)

you mean not just canadians

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Aas long as they don't monitor wechat log they are still getting nothing.

Also, wasn't enhanced and invasive surveillance the exact thing the US was accused of being used against the Uyghurs?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

cop shows are still going to have it, so people will still believe Miranda rights are a thing long after it's been eliminated by the supreme court

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

anglo plague.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah it's just people don't know. It's very common for people here to say that the US has checks and balances and that corrupt officials are held accountable, unlike MY country where POLITICIANS SUCK.

We must keep this "greener grass" effect in mind when thinking about China too. Every story of a corrupt official or haughty businessman being taken to task in China lightens my soul but we should always make sure the stories have proof. What happened to that dude who probably abused his power to have that affair with Peng Shua (spelling probably wrong, sorry) for example?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperKlaus posted:

We must keep this "greener grass" effect in mind when thinking about China too. Every story of a corrupt official or haughty businessman being taken to task in China lightens my soul but we should always make sure the stories have proof. What happened to that dude who probably abused his power to have that affair with Peng Shua (spelling probably wrong, sorry) for example?

Nothing iirc, he's already retired years before it came out.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zhang is officially still under investigation, but I don't know if anything's ever going to come of it.

Antonymous posted:

I would never be scared to ask a chinese cop directions. I would never interact with an american cop even in much more dire circumstances. it's wild

One of the first sights I saw in Shanghai was a train station official with no shirt, and a badge on a chain around his neck.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Antonymous posted:

I would never be scared to ask a chinese cop directions. I would never interact with an american cop even in much more dire circumstances. it's wild

yeah totally agreed

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

fart simpson posted:

I went to university with a Chinese immigrant couple. One day we got to talking about movies and actors, and I mentioned that due to historic antisemitism a lot of Jewish actors felt the need to change their names to something more "white"-sounding, a tradition that continues to this day (even if it's less common than in the '50s). She straight up didn't believe me, thought I was lying to her. In her mind the West couldn't possibly be antisemitic like that, and especially not Hollywood.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Falstaff posted:

I went to university with a Chinese immigrant couple. One day we got to talking about movies and actors, and I mentioned that due to historic antisemitism a lot of Jewish actors felt the need to change their names to something more "white"-sounding, a tradition that continues to this day (even if it's less common than in the '50s). She straight up didn't believe me, thought I was lying to her. In her mind the West couldn't possibly be antisemitic like that, and especially not Hollywood.

did she bring up whoopi goldberg

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
This discussion reminding me of the section in the book "Natives" where Akala (the author) describes the experience of his family migrating from Jamaica to the UK and coming into contact with poor white English for the first time and coming to realize that actually not everyone in Europe is as prosperous as the colonial administrators etc who the UK empire sent to its overseas colonies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Falstaff posted:

don't the Chinese do that themselves?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

You mean adopt anglo names? There's a variety of reasons why some Chinese might do so, the least problematic reason might be that their Chinese names are unpronounceable by non-Chinese speakers, which is also common among South and SE Asians, but it's not as if they could somehow fool other people into thinking they were white by adopting an Anglo first name, as a Jewish person generally can.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1539471524096200705

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My pet peeve is Chinese who pick a "American" name for themselves (usually around high school when they are in China) without knowing they are popular Christian names.

Throatwarbler posted:

You mean adopt anglo names? There's a variety of reasons why some Chinese might do so, the least problematic reason might be that their Chinese names are unpronounceable by non-Chinese speakers, which is also common among South and SE Asians, but it's not as if they could somehow fool other people into thinking they were white by adopting an Anglo first name, as a Jewish person generally can.

It's very hard to not able to pronounce a pinyin name but more likely situation is Eng speakers pronounce certain pinyin combination wrong.

Most Chinese don't think pronouncing the name wrong is a big deal. When I bring my kid to the baby doctor, I can see all the children's names, half of the Chinese kds have normal American first name, half of them have normal pinyin name. This is in Flushing.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 13:20 on Jun 22, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1539511036822298624

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

yeah ive never met a chinese guy named like, mason, or jaden. bryce. i know a lot people
with names like john or david though

imo if you move to america and get to pick any name you want, you should get advice on something cool. call yourself sebastian or xavier. or throw people off and go by juan

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

THS2 posted:

yeah ive never met a chinese guy named like, mason, or jaden. bryce. i know a lot people

imo if you move to america and get to pick any name you want, you should get advice on something cool. call yourself sebastian or xavier. or throw people off and go by juan

idk, i know a fair number of chinese people that give themselves a nickname based on someone they’re a fan of, like darwin, archimedes, rambo, guti or vito (he liked the godfather). then there’s people who pick names that aren’t really english names but other european language names, like francesca or paco or aimee. and then a huge group is people who pick english words that aren’t really traditional names, like fish or rock or green (her favorite color, why not name yourself after it?). those are all people i know who really go by those names with their friends or colleagues. plus i know a lot of chinese people who picked regular but somewhat less common names like helen, wendy, walter, ivy, etc

fart simpson has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Jun 22, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
They should just use their posting handles imo

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

maybe all the chinese ppl i know in texas are exceptionally boring. i work in IT so thats very possible

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

THS2 posted:

I know a Korean guy who told me that in grade 4 English class, they all chose their American name out of a newspaper. One guy ended up with the name Tiger, as in Tiger Woods.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i named a couple of korean kids dorian and sonia once because they were too shy to pick their own and those were the only two i could think of that kind of sounded like their actual names dohyun and sohyun

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I know a couple Chinese Americans who gave themselves Japanese names (very short 2 syllables)

I can't remember any with overtly hispanic name.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Chamale posted:

I know a Korean guy who told me that in grade 4 English class, they all chose their American name out of a newspaper. One guy ended up with the name Tiger, as in Tiger Woods.

Tiger is a good name. Its also a very Chinese name.

Btw I know tons of Chinese with "dragon" in their Chinese name but never one with a "Dragon" English name.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

THS2 posted:

maybe all the chinese ppl i know in texas are exceptionally boring. i work in IT so thats very possible

could also be that i have met thousands of chinese people

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

gradenko_2000 posted:

In fact, She and her husband did it themselves a month or so later, changing their first names to something more English-sounding. But at the time they thought I was pulling their leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

fart simpson posted:

could also be that i have met thousands of chinese people

yes