Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
wow there are no arcades in Cyberpunk?? are there at least any karaoke bars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno how unpopular this actually is, I was posting in the FF7 remake thread a few days ago and nobody really agreed, but I think pretty much everything they added to the story/concept on top of what was originally there was trash. I was all for expanding the world of midgar and having some changes, so it isn't that, but most of the stuff they chose to do was either latter day square gibberish, like the entire last chapter, or just mindnumbingly boring, like every sidequest and new/expanded universe character they put in.

The game overall was pretty fun and it was cool to see the bits from the original blown up to life size, because even though they dragged everything out alot, they pretty much did a good job there and in some spots a great job. But the whisper stuff and all the breaking fate stuff is really abstract stuff that I don't understand why anybody likes. The only defense I really see of it is that it's great because it's different. But I didn't want to play a latter day square dumbass story, they lost me a long time ago on that. I wanted a remake of ff7 and they sort of took a huge poo poo on it right at the end.

during the ending I wasn't bored or kind of not liking it, I was hating the thing because right before the ending chapter, there's some excellent stuff happening lifted right from the original and I was having fun and looking forward to seeing the rest of the world and story remade like that, but then they do all this poo poo which tramples on it all with things that are so far from interesting drama it's nuts.

I know stuff like kingdom hearts has its fans and there's a hardcore audience for this kind of stuff but y'know, the ending of ff7 isn't actually regarded as good is it? It feels like there should be a lot more talk about how much of a gently caress up that ending was.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 21, 2022

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Get mad at videogames, have a reaction. Please don't just sit there occasionally grunting

I don't think I've gotten more angry at a video game than the first Dead Rising where I actually screamed and smashed my controller into the floor and tortured the disk with hot water until I broke it in half like a toddler.

The AI and trying to save anyone combined with the Hicks in the courtyard and their jeep just broke my brain and I still consider that the worst game I've ever played

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

wow there are no arcades in Cyberpunk?? are there at least any karaoke bars?

there's literally zero immersive sim type elements lmao

CDPR fanboys tried to spin this as somehow a positive, like, "it's just not that kind of game man" but no, it is objectively a really stupid waste of a great setting that you can't play some weird games or do a dancing minigame even or whatever

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

It's a shooter with RPG elements. It's fine for that. It's gonna suck if you expected a life sim lol

I am enjoying it, playing it again properly for the first time since the big patch. It's fun. I got guns and go blammo and also there's cool sneaky stealth kills, and throwing knives zip back to your hand now.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah but no. i mean if you're enjoying it a lot then i'm glad. i wish i had enjoyed it a lot. i like, barely enjoyed it. and i went in knowing what it was. it's just, for real, the actual gameplay is bad. it's not "just okay", it really is just bad. there isn't any pretension of encounter design or level design, there are no cool secret optional things in the missions, it's just a totally on rails experience

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't think I've gotten more angry at a video game than the first Dead Rising where I actually screamed and smashed my controller into the floor and tortured the disk with hot water until I broke it in half like a toddler.

The AI and trying to save anyone combined with the Hicks in the courtyard and their jeep just broke my brain and I still consider that the worst game I've ever played

lmao

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

there's literally zero immersive sim type elements lmao

CDPR fanboys tried to spin this as somehow a positive, like, "it's just not that kind of game man" but no, it is objectively a really stupid waste of a great setting that you can't play some weird games or do a dancing minigame even or whatever

I mean they had a really good history and I was stoked about the game except for Keanu reaves being heavily involved which is usually the death sign (not him specifically but any celebrity) but I have lose all interest

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I have never matured past a twelve year old

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
and i'm not like, trying to change anyone's mind. i've deffo liked games that were bad games but good stories before. i just think people who enjoy it should admit that. Witcher 3 wasn't the best game experience ever but it was designed, it had a lot of enemy variety and you got to make choices and it had lots of quests with all kinds of weird ways to resolve them, often involving actual puzzle solving

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

syntaxfunction posted:

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Hey, in a cyberpunk game that cigar better be a cyber-cigar buddy. :colbert:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Cyberpunk was the only m rated game that prominently displayed women's boners stretching against tight shorts as "in world advertisements" for a few minutes every time I played.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

precision posted:

and i'm not like, trying to change anyone's mind. i've deffo liked games that were bad games but good stories before. i just think people who enjoy it should admit that. Witcher 3 wasn't the best game experience ever but it was designed, it had a lot of enemy variety and you got to make choices and it had lots of quests with all kinds of weird ways to resolve them, often involving actual puzzle solving

I think people should admit to themselves video games do not have good stories. While theoretically they could have good stories why would anyone bother? Who's going to waste a good story on a video game?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

roomtone posted:

I dunno how unpopular this actually is, I was posting in the FF7 remake thread a few days ago and nobody really agreed, but I think pretty much everything they added to the story/concept on top of what was originally there was trash.

They added trash to a trash can, oh no!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I will restate my opinion that Cyberpunk would have been a 10x better game if they had just given the player character Mirror's Edge style movement abilities. It would transform its beautiful but mostly pointless and joyless city into an open world parkour funhouse.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Final Fantasy fans are obnoxiously defensive of their series, and even the mildest criticism sets them off into a froth of the most tedious possible posting.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

tripwood posted:

TUNIC was great until I hit the Quarry. What the gently caress is this, this is way harder then it needs to be. And there's almost no save points anywhere. The next area's even worse!
Yes there is God Mode, but I was having so much fun until that area and didn't need to cheat. Who wants this kind of brutal jump in difficulty?

You get access to the Quarry loooong before you actually need to go in there. It's initially a bullshit place on purpose, but once you have a few quest items and generic +hp +potion stuff you get to clown all over them. Spamming the grapple on every ranged dude is never not maliciously fun.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Final Fantasy fans are obnoxiously defensive of their series, and even the mildest criticism sets them off into a froth of the most tedious possible posting.

Are you referring to certain people in this thread? Sorry, not seeing it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

they're right

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not this thread just in general. Just insane levels of delusional thinking and bizarre hostility I think it's because the fandom is so far into the nerd side of the scale that the fans never learned any actual communicative or interpersonal skills and started entwining their own self image into that of the games and thus see anyone calling the games into question as calling those fans out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

This doesn't really make sense to me given how viciously Final Fantasy fans tear apart the Final Fantasy games they don't like

I feel like I see fewer people defensive of the series at a whole and more of their own specific favorite games in it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

they're right

Final Fantasy XIII is just absolute garbage but goons still go nuts to defend it to this day

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And I played it for like 40 hours+. The combat system was kind of interesting but everything else was just boring and bland and repetitive

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

And I played it for like 40 hours+. The combat system was kind of interesting but everything else was just boring and bland and repetitive

I did 100% of the superbosses in that game and the moment I was done I sat back and was like, "why did I do that?"

I'll go to bat for its combat system, I think it's legitimately fun (the last few superboss fights were really cool fights, too), but the rest of it I really don't know why I stuck with at the time. Its worst flaw is that it makes you wait 20+ hours before you can almost use the full combat system, and still another dozen or so hours after that before they finally let you loose.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'll have you know 11-16 year old me thought final fantasy was awesome.

I have not revisited the series since then because I'm not longer the target audience from what I can tell.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Final Fantasy 13 is one of my favourites because I always know where I need to go to progress, the combat system is fun, and visually it has aged well. I get why people hate it because I saw the response when it was released, but from my point of view it has very little fat on it by Final Fantasy standards.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I still think Lufia 2 is the best RPG I've ever played. I don't know how much of that is nostalgia

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Gaius Marius posted:

fans are obnoxiously defensive of their series, and even the mildest criticism sets them off into a froth of the most tedious possible posting.

Let's not start another FromSoft discussion.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fromsoft fans don't have to be defensive. Everytime a game drops more people join the From lover family. No amount of impotent screeching will change the fact that the series has proven that people want games with good gameplay, challenge, and exploration over the morass of garbage "Narrative" focused games that can't even reach the heights of a Grisham or Patterson novel.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gaius Marius posted:

There are lots of valid criticisms of the FF series but I’ll be damned if anyone but me raises them.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I really like pre-rendered backgrounds. The coolest spots in Ocarina of Time for me were the pre-rendered, fixed camera spots.

Never got that into the post IX FF's. Beat and enjoyed X but didn't like it as much.
Thirteen was one of the worst purchases I've ever made.
Hated FF7R. Felt like Kingdom Hearts minus Disney.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I will defend final fantasy 12 I think it's probably one of the most underrated ones

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

I will defend final fantasy 12 I think it's probably one of the most underrated ones

:same:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'll play 12 if i ever finish Vagrant Story.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spent so much time smoking weed out of my terrible wooden vaporizer right out of highschool blasting TV on the Radio in my headphones while playing that goddamn game

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Spent so much time smoking weed out of my terrible wooden vaporizer right out of highschool blasting TV on the Radio in my headphones while playing that goddamn game

same EXACT thing except its Mass Effect

that lovely Magic Flight thingy gently caress that thing

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

same EXACT thing except its Mass Effect

that lovely Magic Flight thingy gently caress that thing

Same for me with Mass Effect. I loved that entire series and caught the ending of 3 sucked so when it happened it was not even that bad

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Different tangent but I don't know why they thought making the first commercial vaporizers wooden made sense, it wasn't the 70s and there were a lot of better options

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m the happy idiot who also played final fantasy and tv on the radio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the only final fantasy fans i don't like are the ones who refuse to admit that 13 and/or 13-3 and/or 15 own and slap rear end