Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Green curry

Creme caramel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Both look good but the "green curry" descriptor threw me off for a moment - I'd already scrolled down to the creme caramel and thought "Huh, that's the weirdest goddamn curry I've ever seen."

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Both look good but the "green curry" descriptor threw me off for a moment - I'd already scrolled down to the creme caramel and thought "Huh, that's the weirdest goddamn curry I've ever seen."

Oops :shobon:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

You ever just

finally roast that chicken you've been meaning to roast

Herbes and Rosemary with plenty of butter salt and pepper. The pan veggies were phenomenal, the potatoes crisped up where I accidentally flaked them with the tongs while turning them.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
That's a good-lookin' bird

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Made a cold Vietnamese noodle salad with some marinated grilled tofu. Was really good. Sort of like a deconstructed nime chow. Really nice on a hot day.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Another one from Ottolenghi's shelf love, star anise and cardamom braised short ribs with butter beans and figs

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

large hands posted:

Another one from Ottolenghi's shelf love, star anise and cardamom braised short ribs with butter beans and figs

:captainpop::captainpop::captainpop:

loving hell :gizz:

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

large hands posted:

Is the side couscous? Did you do anything in particular with it?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

fr0id posted:

Is the side couscous? Did you do anything in particular with it?

just couscous made with chicken stock and a little olive oil and butter and chives. it's my go to carb for anything vaguely middle eastern

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
made myself some poutine since HEB started selling cheese curds. It was awesome, the gravy was super good with that everything bagel seasoning.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Made some vegetarian mapo tofu tater tots as a Friday night snack. A looser gravy would have been better for this application but it was still very good.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

HEB has cheese curds now? Intriguing. I may need to copy your meal.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

Made some vegetarian mapo tofu tater tots as a Friday night snack. A looser gravy would have been better for this application but it was still very good.

Mapo.... Tater tots....

I might have to try this

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

this is the kind of fusion cuisine i can get behind

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Human Tornada posted:

This sounds mindblowingly good, hot drat

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

large hands posted:

Goddamn I want to eat this so bad

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah I’m kinda onboard for this too.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

blixa posted:

We did a non-turkey thanksgiving because nobody wanted it...so Beef Wellington was the centerpiece instead.

Went the sous vide route for the meat and it turned out better than I had expected.

Mother of god.

Here's a trifle I made awhile back, custard, vanilla whipped cream, victoria sponge, mascerated strawberries, and cream sherry.

And some simple shakshuka and flatbread which has become one of my fav dishes:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Attempted something pretty ambitious (for me) and cooked a big 3.5 pound (and 3-inch-thick) bone-in ribeye steak for myself, my roommate. and our guest:

The massive piece of meat following a 24-hour-dry brine... looking good!

Searing in the big pan with lots of butter, fresh garlic, chopped scallions, rosemary, and thyme - steak has been seasoned liberally with Montreal-style steak seasoning. After this the pan went in the oven for a good 25 minutes...

And the result! Excuse the thumb over the side of the lens, I was a bit antsy when I took this one. This turned out especially perfect because while two of us like our meat rare to medium-rare, one of us preferred it medium-well. And there was a pretty good range there for everyone!

I was actually shocked at how incredibly delicious and tasty it turned out to be. Crust was great, meat was juicy and delicious.... I really had never cooked a piece of meat half this big before, and I didn't know how it would turn out. So I was pretty thrilled, everyone was very happy and ALL of it was very quickly consumed - always a good sign.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Looks like you absolutely nailed it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Here's a trifle I made awhile back, custard, vanilla whipped cream, victoria sponge, mascerated strawberries, and cream sherry.

Trifle is so good. I feel like it's a vastly underrated dessert.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

Looks like you absolutely nailed it

Thank you! It really ended up tasting amazing - a good sign was that pretty much every piece of meat was gone after 5 minutes, and by the end of the night my roommate was arguing with me about who would get to gnaw on the bone - so much flavor on that thing.

Only sad thing is that I bought that cut of meat like 2 weeks ago at my local grocery store, and I haven't seen another one being sold there since then - for that matter I don't really remember ever seeing it on sale before then, either. I'd love to buy another one (it was a Swift "Bone-in Frenched Ribeye") but have no clue where I'd even go to find another one. Costco, I guess? I suppose it's finally time to became a member there...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

kaworu posted:

Thank you! It really ended up tasting amazing - a good sign was that pretty much every piece of meat was gone after 5 minutes, and by the end of the night my roommate was arguing with me about who would get to gnaw on the bone - so much flavor on that thing.

Only sad thing is that I bought that cut of meat like 2 weeks ago at my local grocery store, and I haven't seen another one being sold there since then - for that matter I don't really remember ever seeing it on sale before then, either. I'd love to buy another one (it was a Swift "Bone-in Frenched Ribeye") but have no clue where I'd even go to find another one. Costco, I guess? I suppose it's finally time to became a member there...

If your grocery store did it once, they can do it again. You may have to ask for it in advance, but talk to someone at the butcher counter and see if they can help.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Cumin lamb and miso soup for lunch

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

Just talk to the butcher. A lot of stores will get in whatever you want. My place, the guy just adds it to his next order. This may have been the same thing, and he ordered extra or it didn't get picked up by whoever requested it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Democratic Pirate posted:

HEB has cheese curds now? Intriguing. I may need to copy your meal.

they do, and they're totally mixed in with all the other shredded cheese so kind of hard to spot. they have garlic and regular, both are really good.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Tiggum posted:

Trifle is so good. I feel like it's a vastly underrated dessert.

Agreed, and it's definitely one of those desserts that benefit so much from using quality, homemade ingredients. Making one with cool whip, custard powder and store-bought yellow cake will still be good but not in the same ballpark as one made with better stuff.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Trying some Korean tacos again, these worked out a lot better than the last batch.

Gochugaru-apricot carnitas, queso panela, lime-cured cucumber onions and peppers, habanero salsa, corn tortillas.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Pea Fetish.

Scallops on top of a salad of pea greens, pea hummus, with a garnish of… peas.

Load of minor issues: Couldn’t get a good sear on the scallops for some reason, but aside from that they came out excellent. Thought I could cut corners and make a pea purée without blanching the raw peas first, so the purée came out chunky. Decided to add some garlic and shallot to it and call it a hummus. Too much garlic made it taste like a vinaigrette, but whatever—SALAD. Tried to get fancy and put the hummus into a sandwich bag and pipe it onto the salad in a nice design, but a piece of pea got stuck and then the whole bag erupted onto the plate. Scallops concealed most of the mess.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

California rolls and curry rice.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Pea Fetish.

Scallops on top of a salad of pea greens, pea hummus, with a garnish of… peas.

Load of minor issues: Couldn’t get a good sear on the scallops for some reason, but aside from that they came out excellent. Thought I could cut corners and make a pea purée without blanching the raw peas first, so the purée came out chunky. Decided to add some garlic and shallot to it and call it a hummus. Too much garlic made it taste like a vinaigrette, but whatever—SALAD. Tried to get fancy and put the hummus into a sandwich bag and pipe it onto the salad in a nice design, but a piece of pea got stuck and then the whole bag erupted onto the plate. Scallops concealed most of the mess.

Just make sure you pat them dry and that your pan is screamin hot. Clarified butter is my pref because its got a high smoke temp and tastes good. Looks good! Im gonna try a pea puree next time.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
get those tacos in my mouth

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Ottolenghi's panzanella salad with pan fried swordfish

Good old bibimbap. One of the first things I learned how to make when I started cooking and still holds up

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Tiraditos... salmon, branzino, and sea bass.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ogarza posted:

Tiraditos... salmon, branzino, and sea bass.

Holy cow, I've never had anything like that and it looks incredible.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I ate super good today: Kung pao shrimp

Oven baked char siu ribs

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Carne asada again

User Error fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 6, 2022

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Leftover burnt ends and slaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU