Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The games have online with rollback now. I’m afraid to see how bad I am at Vampire Saviors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was coolboarders any good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Muscle Tracer posted:

Personally, I love to play games I enjoy. There are other games that I don't enjoy, and while I know of ways that they would be more enjoyable for me, I'm glad other people with different tastes also get games that they like to play.

that's what is super amazing, i think elden ring is great and i enjoyed it a lot

why is it so weird to suggest improvements to FROM games? people suggest improvements to literally every game they play.

like dang guys if you don't want to be known as "the lovely fandom" then don't be lovely

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
people will argue over suggestions to any games and who on earth ever wanted to be known as part of a fandom, let alone care how people perceive it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I got the impression from Elden Ring that FromSoft would prefer if players didn't grind at all. Killing on-level enemies doesn't really give that many runes. You can get a good number of runes by exploring, but most are going to come from one-time consumables or boss kills rather than the normal enemies you're killing along the way. They put a ton of tools in the game to help players succeed (especially spirit ashes) likely on the hope that you wouldn't feel the need to grind.

That said I think I mostly agree with dunkey's review from a couple months back, which is that the game is amazing but endgame enemies and bosses probably hit too hard. Not like a ton too hard, but a bit. A lot of them would've been more fun to fight solo if they did a bit less damage. I'm not going to spitball numbers, I'm bad at that, but not a drastic reduction.

Then again I also know that's what spirit ashes are for, and there wasn't a boss fight in the entire game that wasn't made much easier by them, which is a good thing, they're a great option to have.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

precision posted:

that's what is super amazing, i think elden ring is great and i enjoyed it a lot

why is it so weird to suggest improvements to FROM games? people suggest improvements to literally every game they play.

like dang guys if you don't want to be known as "the lovely fandom" then don't be lovely

I'm glad you also enjoyed the game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

precision posted:

why is it so weird to suggest improvements to FROM games?

I think a lot of it comes out of a not entirely unfounded concern over a style of game they enjoy being watered down or changed too much to the point where there's no longer the elements that they personally found enjoyable, even if proposed suggestions aren't directly linked to those elements. It's sometimes hard to determine what exactly draws you into a game, so a blanket "don't change anything more than by X degrees" stance can easily develop. Pillars of Eternity struggled a lot with this issue, for example, with feedback from early backers being insistent that the game have 6 statistics solely because that was the norm of previous Infinity Engine games, and the desire was for a game that replicated the "feeling" of those titles without any deeper understanding of what elements precisely contributed to that feeling.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is there any world where Ubisoft goes back to making 20 hour long AC games instead of 100+ hour long slogs?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Infinity hour long slogs? Sure, we gotcha.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They should've made a Rome game. Hang out with my boy Augustus. Kill some barbarians. The usual

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Barbarians rule

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jay Rust posted:

Barbarians rule

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

I think a lot of it comes out of a not entirely unfounded concern over a style of game they enjoy being watered down or changed too much to the point where there's no longer the elements that they personally found enjoyable, even if proposed suggestions aren't directly linked to those elements. It's sometimes hard to determine what exactly draws you into a game, so a blanket "don't change anything more than by X degrees" stance can easily develop. Pillars of Eternity struggled a lot with this issue, for example, with feedback from early backers being insistent that the game have 6 statistics solely because that was the norm of previous Infinity Engine games, and the desire was for a game that replicated the "feeling" of those titles without any deeper understanding of what elements precisely contributed to that feeling.

In this specific instance it’s kinda weird though, like the MO for most From games is absolutely pushing yourself to overcome adversity in an unforgiving world, but Elden Ring is the game that teaches you “come back later when you’re stronger” by throwing an OP overworld boss at you, followed by a nerfed version of a mid-lategame boss who takes nearly no damage from a base level character, which is the opposite of how Souls usually works beyond some instances of branching paths.

And really even beyond that Elden Ring is meant to be the most accessible Souls between it being super easy to do co-op, ash summons, Marika statues, and frequent patches to mitigate the clunkiest parts of the game like smithing stones. If Elden Ring gated the player harder than it does (iirc like everything except the Plateau onward is immediately available, and the Plateau except for Leyendell is gated by one dungeon/boss) I don’t think people would complain because the expectation to git gud would already be set.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vermain posted:

I think a lot of it comes out of a not entirely unfounded concern over a style of game they enjoy being watered down or changed too much to the point where there's no longer the elements that they personally found enjoyable

i think that is an entirely unfounded concern

Barudak
May 7, 2007

From decided, finally, in Elden Ring I was allowed to have fun with shields again, so Im glad complaining about that got through.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i just wish they had a captain america style boomerang shield

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

hatty posted:

The games have online with rollback now. I’m afraid to see how bad I am at Vampire Saviors

The trick is to get really good at slamming your entire palm on all 6 buttons but why timing so that they're all on different frames

E. Being good is easy you just pick squatxh and mash standing medium punch

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 22, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1539446835328102400?s=20&t=nGENwFmSyIsoJcFrQZPDWw

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

SeXReX posted:

E. Being good is easy you just pick squatxh and mash standing medium punch

But I wanna be the weird bug lady

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Yikes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
sounds cool but am i supposed to know what eikons are

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They're the summons.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Would rather have a single system to master

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
then only master the one! i'll jack of all for the two of us

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mastered being single years ago.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, there's a whole regular combat system, these are just setpiece boss battles.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The basic combat system is being designed by the Dragon's Dogma/DMCV combat designer

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if the titan battle isn't like this i'm going to feel immeasurable disappointment

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

finally

Crystal Bearers 2

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
is vob2 the worst stage in any video game

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Can't wait for Haseo to summon Skeith again

Happy 20th anniversary, .hack

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Khanstant posted:

sounds cool but am i supposed to know what eikons are

shoulda played FFXIV

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Khanstant posted:

i just wish they had a captain america style boomerang shield

Dark Souls has this. It was also, at launch, obscenely overpowered and could easily carry you through the entire game with minimal risk.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

shoulda played FFXIV

evergreen post

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

will we get buddy eikons though

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~