Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorkBot3000
Nov 3, 2012

Goddamn. That End of an Era cinematic is so loving good. I go back and watch it once in a while and when Dalamud explodes and the choir kicks in? Chills every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bloody Pom posted:

I give them a month before they get fed up with the lack of hats and use their free fantasia.

I know I did :sigh:

Fastest fantasia I did was when I had two, one for finishing ARR and one because I was an old returning account and there was a special offer sometime I was gone (I dunno, found it in my mailbox when I came back). Figured I'd spend some time as a Lala, then switch to Au Ra. Accidentally picked a really annoying voice, I think I lasted three days before using my second Fantasia.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Fastest fantasia I did was when I had two, one for finishing ARR and one because I was an old returning account and there was a special offer sometime I was gone (I dunno, found it in my mailbox when I came back). Figured I'd spend some time as a Lala, then switch to Au Ra. Accidentally picked a really annoying voice, I think I lasted three days before using my second Fantasia.

Ha, was it ~that~ voice? The one that people pick that makes everyone around them play on mute or quit dungeon runs?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

HPanda posted:

Ha, was it ~that~ voice? The one that people pick that makes everyone around them play on mute or quit dungeon runs?

If you asked me if you could hear other player's combat grunts in this game, I would have never noticed and assumed the answer is no if not for -that- voice. How anybody puts up with that at all times is beyond me.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

~That~ voice for me is whatever femroeg voice has the really dinstinctive "HAWWW" combat grunts. :byodame:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There's a few, I know female miq'ote has one (that the Bozja archer uses). Mine was one of the male lala voices, can't recall which.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

DorkBot3000 posted:

Goddamn. That End of an Era cinematic is so loving good. I go back and watch it once in a while and when Dalamud explodes and the choir kicks in? Chills every time.

It really does evoke "Oh, this is the end of the world. We're hosed." so well. Makes me tear up for some reason.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Farg posted:

also share your character name so you can be showered with gifts and fc invites

Seltzera Quinn

I planned on going through the official channel for a FC invite but feel free to bring me in :)

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Bruceski posted:

There's a few, I know female miq'ote has one (that the Bozja archer uses). Mine was one of the male lala voices, can't recall which.

god, that loving bozjan archer. HWOHHH!!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bruceski posted:

There's a few, I know female miq'ote has one

IIRC, it's specifically female Miq'ote Voice #5.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

And yet only the male Viera scream got changed. Unfair.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Vargs posted:

If you asked me if you could hear other player's combat grunts in this game, I would have never noticed and assumed the answer is no if not for -that- voice. How anybody puts up with that at all times is beyond me.

I just screwed with my sound settings on the fly so I could hear Discord voice chat, and somehow I ended up with only combat grunts being audible for all of the current Unreal. Incredibly weird vibes!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alright, so I like this game!

Turns out I had tried it a long time ago but got overwhelmed right away but that was before my anxiety got under control.

So far I'm treating it like any other FF game... just that there is a plaza full of half-naked cat people BUT HEY.

Is there a way to set the auto-attack to start going off once an enemy is in range?
I'd like to open with Ruin and smash with my book without having to do extra clicks.

Can you set a spell/skill to auto-fire? Jamming on 1 to spam Ruin is kinda lovely.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I thought -that- voice was a lala voice? But either way like someone posted it's the only drat combat voice I can hear. :mad:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a way to set the auto-attack to start going off once an enemy is in range?
I'd like to open with Ruin and smash with my book without having to do extra clicks.

Can you set a spell/skill to auto-fire? Jamming on 1 to spam Ruin is kinda lovely.
Casters/healers don't trigger auto-attacks by default because you can't auto-attack while casting. And also they do basically zero damage for those roles, so I wouldn't worry about it.

And nope, sadly the early levels may prove slightly mechanically dull for this reason.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F9_39ZCmGA

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Turns out I had tried it a long time ago but got overwhelmed right away but that was before my anxiety got under control.

So far I'm treating it like any other FF game... just that there is a plaza full of half-naked cat people BUT HEY.

I think for autoattack, as long as you're in combat and also in autoattack range you'll automatically punch/stab things with the appropriate implement.

You sadly cannot set a skill to autoattack, the game starts off pretty slow since it's designed to be babbys first MMO in the early levels

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Which voice is the one that does the goofy "hurr huh hurr huh" that I always hear when I port into limsa

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Early levelling is the biggest issue I have with the game as it is right now. I'm well past that point on all jobs, but every time I get rouletted into a low-level dungeon I lose all my fun buttons so I'm just hitting a 1-2 combo over and over while sometimes dodging a mechanic. Most jobs don't feel "complete" until sometime after level 50. Some not until 60+. At least one dps job doesn't get any multi-target attacks until level 40. The gameplay gets more complex and interesting later on, but most of the really fun and flashy attacks don't show up until Stormblood levels or later.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Which voice is the one that does the goofy "hurr huh hurr huh" that I always hear when I port into limsa

That's just an ambient noise clip that kicks in when there's a certain number of players in a town area.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

That's just an ambient noise clip that kicks in when there's a certain number of players in a town area.

Oh so that's what the little kid going "HA HA HA HA HA HA, FUN!" everytime I go to Limsa is.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

After spamming dungeons as Reaper tonight (…I really like all of the sets from the latest one), I think I’ve figured out the best way to play them.

Step 1: do your rotation as normal

Step 2: start playing some powerup music the first time you go into a burst phase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rewf1YVA86U

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

Don't listen to these losers. Always bonk fools with your book (even if it does next to no damage). X on a controller or double-clicking a target with your mouse should initiate auto attack, which you'll use automatically as long as you're close enough to the target. If you're autoattacking, the target will get a little spinny icon by their target bar.

You can't set skills or spells to auto though. Things can be really slow and boring at low level, but as you level up and get multiple hotbars worth of skills, pushing your buttons in the correct order is the primary gameplay mode.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alright, I'll be patient.

I read that Summoner is easy to play but then others complained about having to play keyboard piano.

Sure hope I don't have to dance across the keys to be effective since that's why I stopped playing the complex classes in GW2.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Inzombiac posted:

I read that Summoner is easy to play but then others complained about having to play keyboard piano.

Sure hope I don't have to dance across the keys to be effective since that's why I stopped playing the complex classes in GW2.

Summoner is the lowest rotational complexity job by a considerable margin. It also has the lowest number of key binds needed for optimal play in my experience.

Complaints about keyboard piano may be about older versions of Summoner. Endwalker significantly streamlined it and fully built out the "I call upon powerful external forces" aesthetic but dropped the dot maintenance side of the job.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
It was quite complicated last expansion, but got a major rework when Endwalker released. It's now one of the easiest DPS rotations to understand and execute.

Like, it used to have juggling two Damage over Time spells as part of its skillset and job identity. That's gone now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The tradeoff is that Summoner also takes a while to get out of the utterly boring parts, because they’ve got a very gradual curve to get the fun stuff.

In 1-50 leveling, you’ll be spamming Ruin a lot… But at 90, you’ll only have 3-4 spells with actual casting times per minute. The thing is, 90 is going to be a long, long, long ways off.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

When you get to lvl 50, give Red Mage a try. Very flashy, very easy rotation, and you stab things magically. You also get the best PVP ability in the game for use exclusively in PVE large party/raid content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkWpCI8F_r0

That's several seconds of not being able to see ground indicators and about two seconds of not being able to see anything for the whole party/raid. Timed properly, it is hilarious. There are some other great videos of this in action, but not new person spoiler-free friendly. In my experience, at least 95% of the player base will still laugh even when they get taken out by this.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if you can hit at least one button every 2-2.5 seconds or so you're basically "being effective" and only the optional endgame high difficulty raid content requires anything more than that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Ignore any posts about Summoner that that are older than December 2021, because the job was completely and totally revamped when Endwalker was released and it's nothing like it used to be. It went from arguably one of the hardest dps classes in the game to the absolute easiest one. No contest.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

HPanda posted:

And ignore the terrible, terrible voice acting. It gets like 98% replaced starting in Heavensward, and all but like 3 people are markedly better for it.

Or set it to japanese and enjoy good voice acting all throughout the game (except Tataru, her speech tic is the worst)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Khizan posted:

Ignore any posts about Summoner that that are older than December 2021, because the job was completely and totally revamped when Endwalker was released and it's nothing like it used to be. It went from arguably one of the hardest dps classes in the game to the absolute easiest one. No contest.

Oh good to know. The thing I was looking at was from 2019.

Gotta say that level 1-9 were pretty boring but now I have way more stuff to play with!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Tamba posted:

Or set it to japanese and enjoy good voice acting all throughout the game (except Tataru, her speech tic is the worst)

Ehh. There's some real good VA work in English after they switch. Enough I'd say they'd be missing out if it's their primary language.

Of course, that doesn't diminish the Japanese crew. I just wouldn't say it's the obvious default option.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Someone just gave me a mount, do I still need to finish the level 20 story mission to use it?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Someone just gave me a mount, do I still need to finish the level 20 story mission to use it?

Yes, you can’t use any mounts until then, though you can use the items to add them to your mount list.

Found this out when I made my alt because the motorcycle from the cash shop is account wide.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

hopeandjoy posted:

Yes, you can’t use any mounts until then, though you can use the items to add them to your mount list.

Found this out when I made my alt because the motorcycle from the cash shop is account wide.

Makes sense. Some rando dropped by and gave me a Zu. Some kinda giant bird. Can't wait to try it out... hopefully soon.

Also, how TF am I supposed to get anything done with this guy around?!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Gotta say that level 1-9 were pretty boring but now I have way more stuff to play with!

So, good news and bad news.

It stays roughly that simple through most of the game. Aethercharge will eventually turn into Bahamut and gain a few new things, and then it'll also add Phoenix with a few new things, and then you'll get a few new spells in the 80s. For the most part, though, the rotation remains something like:

Aethercharge(Or Bahumut/Phoenix, level depending) -> Spam Ruin until Aethercharge is over -> Summon #1 -> use all Gemshine charges -> Summon #2 -> use all Gemshine charges -> Summon #3 -> use all Gemshine charges -> Ruin until you can Aethercharge again. Weave Energy Drain and Fester in there as appropriate. You'll get a few more spells, but the core rotation remains about that simple.

This is bad news, because it can get a bit boring in easy content. On the other hand this is also good news. It stays very light on keybinds, which can be nice if you have trouble with that. It's hard to really get it wrong as long as you're using up all your Gemshine charges before moving on to the next summon, so when you're doing harder content you can concentrate 100% on mechanics. Theres no dot timers to watch or buffs to track or combos to drop, so it's very friendly for learning difficult encounters. I main SMN for just those reasons.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tamba posted:

Set JP until you start Heavensward. It'll get you through the grating ARR voice acting cadence, and from HW onward there's a consistently good EN voice track.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

Runa posted:

They chose the exact right cliffhanger to end the free trial on and at that point I just have to applaud their savvy.

That actually makes me wonder, if they are ever going to increase the content of the free trial, will they stop at StormBlood or Shadowbringer next?

Given the less than stellar reception which StormBlood has received compared to Heavenward or Shadowbringer, it might actually be in their interest to have it skipped to ShB instead.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

shoc77 posted:

That actually makes me wonder, if they are ever going to increase the content of the free trial, will they stop at StormBlood or Shadowbringer next?

Given the less than stellar reception which StormBlood has received compared to Heavenward or Shadowbringer, it might actually be in their interest to have it skipped to ShB instead.

I'll be honest, I don't understand where this comes from. I'm thinking back on StB and... nothing really sticks out as bad? Gyr Abania is boring, I think, but the Far East was fun. Lyse was there, but it wasn't really about her at the end of the day--for as much camera time as was on it, her arc felt like the B plot to setting up the WoL vs Zenos. ARR was much worse than StB by my measure.

Saying StB is bad is like finding the game that got an 8/10 in a lineup of 9s and 10s.

edit: lmao I need coffee I used Discord spoiler tags wtf

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Yapping Eevee posted:

It was quite complicated last expansion, but got a major rework when Endwalker released. It's now one of the easiest DPS rotations to understand and execute.

Like, it used to have juggling two Damage over Time spells as part of its skillset and job identity. That's gone now.

Forget the two DoTs old Summoner had, early Shadowbringers Summoner had like a full minute of double weaving oGCDs at the start of a fight.

I honestly ended up switching over to Machinist as my main rather than deal with it, before switching back after the Endwalker revamp.