Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for shouting at my brother for destroying my boyfriends self-esteem?

yes, humble brother is supposed to be psychic and just know that the boyfriend is cripplingly insecure about his height and that whole thing was not meant as a compliment to the brother, but to make the boyfriend feel better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
AITA for snapping at my half-sister when she called to say neither her nor my other sister will be attending my wedding, after they both RSVPd yes?

quote:

Throwaway, names changed.

I (F23) have 2 half-sisters, Molly (F29) and Mary (F33) from my dad's previous marriage. I wasn't close to either of them growing up because they mainly stayed with their mom, and we just generally weren't close (we're all nice to one another, but it's not buddy-buddy).

I got married a few weeks ago and both Molly and Mary were invited, they both RSVPd yes. Literally a couple days before the wedding Mary calls and says neither her nor Molly will be attending. I'm shocked because obviously all the catering, everything's been put in and now 4 people won't be attending (they each had a +1). Mary did sound apologetic and she explained it to me, detailing a 'traumatic situation' Molly's going through and she will also not be attending and staying with Molly and their mom instead. I got upset and said that I understand, but if she can just attend for a little while to support me, she can leave early if she wishes. Mary kept saying it's not possible, so I snapped and said how neither of them care about my feelings and the effort put into this wedding, especially since Molly herself didn't bother giving me a call to let me know, and it's obvious that I was always the "outsider sister" and not a part of their group. Mary said I was being selfish, and hung up the phone. I did tell some relatives the situation/who knew about it and got mixed reactions for going off at Mary, so, AITA for snapping because they didn't come to my wedding?

Huh, traumatic situation, I wonder what is going on there, probably just something blown out of proportion

Rando posted:

INFO: What exactly was the traumatic situation? Because if it actually lives up to that name…yeah, not sure how you think you’re not the rear end in a top hat. And something tells me you’re avoiding details because you know they don’t make you look good for worrying more about catering than whatever Molly’s dealing with.

OP posted:

Molly's boyfriend passed away in a accident a few weeks before the wedding.

:allbuttons:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The_Franz posted:

yes, humble brother is supposed to be psychic and just know that the boyfriend is cripplingly insecure about his height and that whole thing was not meant as a compliment to the brother, but to make the boyfriend feel better

Not to mention the Einstein of a boyfriend who's 5'8" but telling everyone he's 6'0". Unless he works at the Lollipop Guild, I imagine everyone he talks with about height is already laughing at him behind his back.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Admiralty Flag posted:

Not to mention the Einstein of a boyfriend who's 5'8" but telling everyone he's 6'0". Unless he works at the Lollipop Guild, I imagine everyone he talks with about height is already laughing at him behind his back.

yeah i don't get why boyfriend there has a hobby of inviting people to call him out on his insecurities. seems kind of a stupid thing to do

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Pnurtis, getting lowered into the molten steel.

:emptyquote:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Admiralty Flag posted:

Also, what kind of wackjob compliments someone on their height? “Hey man, great work on being tall!” That’s weird.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

Also, what kind of wackjob compliments someone on their height? “Hey man, great work on being tall!” That’s weird.

call me crazy but I think the guy who lies about being a full half foot taller than he actually is may have some weird hangups about height

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for throwing a book at a building in frustration after having something fall on me at a cafe?

The umbrella fell on me. I was instantly angry.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Verdugo posted:

The umbrella fell on me. I was instantly angry.

The guy is lucky the police weren't called, he'd get a 2-day mental hold at the local looney bin.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

TW seems like a really cool person and Live Through This is such a great album, avatar rules. Sorry about the kitties.

ETA old cat birthday party

I hope kitty wore a little birthday hat while OP threw out bf's poo poo

My favorite kitty ever, Pooky, was old and arthritic and in failing health. One late fall day it was warm and sunny and beautiful, so I let him out onto my balcony, which he was never allowed on because he'd escape. He curled up on a chair cushion and slept in the sun for about two hours. He passed away about a week later, and one of the things I feel best about for him at the end was that he had that couple of hours to get some fresh air and warm his old bones in the sun.

gently caress this boyfriend.

And Teen Witch, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitties. I lost two of my own within a month of each other and it was devastating. I hope you're getting lots of love from the rest of the pack.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The book thrower story also had a good example of a "calmly explained" bookended by examples of the OP admitting they were yelling and angry.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
"I calmly told the manager he's a loving son of a bitch"

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Troublemaker posted:

My favorite kitty ever, Pooky, was old and arthritic and in failing health. One late fall day it was warm and sunny and beautiful, so I let him out onto my balcony, which he was never allowed on because he'd escape. He curled up on a chair cushion and slept in the sun for about two hours. He passed away about a week later, and one of the things I feel best about for him at the end was that he had that couple of hours to get some fresh air and warm his old bones in the sun.

And Teen Witch, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitties. I lost two of my own within a month of each other and it was devastating. I hope you're getting lots of love from the rest of the pack.

A friend of mine, Kate, had an older cat named Minou who she utterly adored, and had recently adopted a kitten named Lilly. They didn't take to kindly to each other when they were initially introduced.

Shortly after Lilly was adopted Minou's kidneys shut down. There was nothing the vets could do to ensure any kind of quality of life for her in the long run.

Minou's last day was spent going on walks in the sun, eating treats, and being snuggled constantly. Just before it was Time to Go, she plopped down next to Lilly, and started grooming her for the first and only time, purring loudly. Kate said it was like she knew her time had come, and was saying goodbye because she knew that Lilly would be the only one left to look after the weird hairless monkey they both lived with.

When Kate told me this I bawled like a loving toddler. poo poo, I'm tearing up even thinking of it right now and I wasn't even there. I hope OP's emphatically stunted boyfriend grows tastebuds in his butthole.

TW sorry to hear about the kitties. Gather up your remaining cats and kiss their dumb little heads.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

"I calmly told the manager he's a loving son of a bitch"

I exclaimed to the manager, in my calmest voice, that I was going to gut him like a fish and wear his entrails as trophies.

He must have taken it the wrong way because he looked like he was about to call the cops so I left

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

However, I do plan to go back to reiterate exactly how calm I was at the time.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not letting the marathon cyclists cut through my land; as they have been doing for years?

quote:

My husband and I bought a home with 15 acres back 4 months ago. On our land we have 2 gates on either side of the field (it was once used for farming) and it's a good distance from my actual house (probably about 4 acres).

Well, last week we recieved a mail notice with a reminder to open both gates for the upcoming bike marathon thing that they apparently have every year to allow access to the cyclists to cut through to get back to the main road. Neither my husband or I are okay with this. First, I truly dont want a bunch of cyclists on my property. As it is we already cant do anything that day because our whole street is blocked off. Not only that but this was not mentioned in the sale of the home either. If any of these people were to get hurt on my land, I would be deemed responsible and it was not something I was willing to accommodate to.

So I go to the town hall and tell them that our property was not going to be used as a short cut for cyclists to get back to the main road and said they would need to find an alternative route. It was argued that this is how things have been for 6 years and that it would take far too much time to map out a different route on such short notice. I told them it's not my problem.

Well the day came and went. We kept the gates closed and despite the fact that these cyclists were supposedly told they couldnt use our property, a lot of them still showed up and got pissed that the hate was closed. I was outside doing gardening when one of the cyclists started berating me for not having it open; stating that I was a "selfish karen" and stated "Look at me, afraid of bikes, let me be a oval office about it". AITA?

Seems like something the realtor should have mentioned.

AITA for asking my son to get a paternity test

quote:

My son (18) has found out one of his ex girlfriends is 8 months pregnant. He knew nothing of the sort of her being pregnant until now and now he's just expected to accept everything no questions asked.

My daughter (20) is good friends with this girl and knew about her pregnancy but said nothing to us because her friend asked her not to.

My son was head over heels for this lady but she ended up breaking his heart by cheating on him and was very needy and manipulative, he spend alot of money on her because she would ask for gift my son couldn't even afford and convince him to use one of my credit cards to achieve it.

My daughter who isn't Currently living with us and is actually rooming with her by her college is also being manipulated by her and think she only dose good and doesn't believe that she convinced her brother to use my credit or that she even cheated. Showed up with my son's ex girlfriend at my door to help her tell us that she's pregnant.

When I seen her there at my door visually pregnant I knew she was gonna be saying that my son is the father of her child and immediately said that my son will not be putting in any money or time until there is a paternity test proving that is his child, My son backed me up and agreed.

My daughter was horrified by my comment and accused me of encouraging him to be a dead beat father and was upset I didn't even give them a chance to explain themselves.

My son's ex starting crying saying you always assume the worst of me and that she went 8 months of pregnancy alone and the least we could do is ensure she is taken care of for the betterment of his child.

I do agree that if this is his child we gonna ensure mom is doing well to ensure baby is doing well but I don't want my son to be involved with her only to get his heart broken again and only to find out that the child isn't his.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here

Just a quick update--

My daughter and I spoke on the phone i explained to her, that if the baby really is his then the text will only lock in his responsibility for the baby and that their is no way I'd ever encourage my son to abandon any of my grandbabies, my daughter finally agreed that the test would be beneficial and told me she'd call me back later.

I ended up getting a text back instead of a call asking if they could come back over to talk, which i agreed to. When they came over my son's ex admitted to not actually knowing who the father was and that she been in a relationship with multiple guys which is why she took so long telling my son because she was trying to figure out who's the father of her child but she's now certain it's my son. She agreed to do the paternity test as soon as we able to do one on the condition I pay for it.

One other thing I found out is that my daughter and my son's ex have actually developed a romantic relationship, which is beyond shocking to me, i mean it explains why she been sticking up for my son's ex as much as she been doing but it's just not something I thought my daughter would ever do I mean that's her brother ex, someone who break his hreat it's just not something I can understand. I'll always love my daughter but it just hurts me seeing my son feeling really hurt by this whole situation.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

The Glumslinger posted:

AITA for snapping at my half-sister when she called to say neither her nor my other sister will be attending my wedding, after they both RSVPd yes?

quote:

Molly's boyfriend passed away in a accident a few weeks before the wedding.

How rude of him, couldn't he think about the catering that had already been ordered?

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

TW, I have two elderly kitties who are my heart and soul. They both have health problems and one just got out of the vet hospital. My heart is breaking for you :love:

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for asking my son to get a paternity test

This sounds far too familiar to be comfortable. A paternity test is the right way to go about it however it turns out.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for threatening to kick my wife’s maid of honor out of our wedding.

quote:

My fiancée are getting married next year, I very recently proposed and we decided to get planning early.

My fiancé had this friend Alice, I don’t like to use this word, but Alice is a huge bitch. She hates me for no reason. Like literally no reason. When I first met her and my fiancée’s other girl friends, she was very cold to me and was very clearly disapproving of me and multiple times asked my now fiancée why the hell she’s with me.

I think it’s partially because my presence caused a big change in my fiancée’s life. She used to be a bit more lose with her morals, partied a lot, drank more, hooked up a lot, and these are all things that Alice still does. I also think part of her is jealous and angry that Alice found herself a good man.

So at our engagement party, Alice was not happy at all. She would glare at me across the room, wouldn’t have fun, and was trying just being the mood down.

Eventually y fiancée and I spoke to her. My fiancée was then pulled away by another girl. I decided then was a good time to settle things. I told her that my fiancée chose me, not her. I said she needs to get over her silly little grudge towards me. I reminded her that it was my wedding and that I could have her out of it so fast, an I knew my fiancée would I it as, once again, she chose m over her.

Alice was visibly pissed and upset. I moved on but the damage was done. Alice told my fiancée what I said and she told me I was being a huge dick and needed to apologize. I said that I would after Alice did, she refuses. I was accused of being passive aggressive and rude

My fiancée is convinced I was the rear end in a top hat and Alice is innocent.

AITA?

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006

Evil Willow posted:

posted by meatdefeater88

no, i don't think i'll be charitable when guessing why he chose that name.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

Alice knows too much

about this guy's shrimp dick

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"lose with her morals"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I want to hear more from Alice, because this guy sounds like a gigantic dildo.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Evil Willow posted:

As someone who's been recently involved in wedding planning one tip I picked up for maid of honour/best man selection criteria is "doesn't hate the betrothed".

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

As someone who's been recently involved in wedding planning one tip I picked up for maid of honour/best man selection criteria is "doesn't hate the betrothed".

I think you'll find that it's "if the maid of honour/best man hates the betrothed for no reason, then they are obliged to create one."

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Boyfriend's friend has been staying with us for a month

quote:

My (29F) boyfriend (30M) share a flat. We have a living room, 1 bedroom, and 1 study room each for us. (With one bed).

The friend (30M) is temporarily out of work (he left the company he was working for and is currently waiting for the company that he's joining to give him a start date). He doesn't know anyone in the city, so asked if he could stay with us for 1-2 weeks till the company gives him a start date. We said okay to that.

It's not that I mind him staying over, but he's starting to become extremely annoying. It's the tiny things For eg -

he's always in the living room despite us having given us his own room. I get it, he wants to watch TV, but he's there ALL the time. I haven't been able to see TV in a month. (All of us have dinner together and watch whatever he has been watching.)

I have a lot of plants throughout the house and despite me reminding that the curtains need to be open for the plants for sunlight, he always closes them the moment I exit the room.

he's big on eating healthy, eating on time. My boyfriend and I have own routine and we know it's not the healthiest, but it works for us. He calls us repeatedly for breakfast, lunch and dinner at times that we never eat. At first we modified our schedule but it's getting so annoying now. I don't want to have my dinner at 8 PM, when I usually have it at 10.

He's always burping and belching throughout the house. It's just...gross.

He talks...a LOT. My boyfriend goes to work and I work from home, he just enters my room and starts to make conversation and I don't know how to tell him to go away.

He hasn't got house slippers of his own and is always taking mine if they're laying around. To the point where I have been walking in socks around the house to avoid being barefoot.

Like, I get he's out of work but it's been a month. He's not paying rent either because he's not currently earning.

Tl;DR: My boyfriend's friend is staying with us for over a month and we're starting to get annoyed.

EDIT : I spoke to my boyfriend and about it and he refuses to say anything to him. He's increased his stay for yet another week and my boyfriend just laughed it off. He said he'll tell him about the curtains and slippers but he can't kick him out. I haven't slept in my own bed (boyfriend and the friend) sleep in the master bedroom and I sleep in my study. They're downstairs watching TV and I'm just crying myself to sleep in the study.

ummmmm

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Mx. posted:

Boyfriend's friend has been staying with us for a month

ummmmm

I read that one before the edit. Yeah, she's the side chick!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Horsebanger posted:

This sounds far too familiar to be comfortable. A paternity test is the right way to go about it however it turns out.
"My sister is in a relationship with my pregnant ex-girlfriend who says the baby is mine" sounds uncomfortably familiar to you?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Splicer posted:

"My sister is in a relationship with my pregnant ex-girlfriend who says the baby is mine" sounds uncomfortably familiar to you?

yeah dude, that's maury povich's forums account

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Evil Willow posted:

I think I've found a contender for one of the bigger doormats here....

AITA for not translating?

From a few pages back but aren't there a bunch of different smartphone apps now that can do language translation? Just point the doofus couple to that & let them figure it out.

tight aspirations posted:

I simply let the flour spiders eat the flour moths and beetles.

They're great but those little white dots on the ceiling & walls are a pain to clean

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Oh, i missed that. the part about being threatening makes a lot more sense now.

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for deleting the Excel file my husband used to catalogue complaints that I made to him?

I'd kill to get a look at that spreadsheet

Getting flashbacks of the dude who made the spreadsheet of the excuses his wife gave for not having sex over the course of a couple months :lol:

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Troublemaker posted:

Eris, my sixteen year old calico passed away on January second of this year after a couple years of slowly declining health. She was a wonderful sweet old cat, that was cuddly right up to the end. In her younger days, she liked to get under peoples' feet, squeak loudly if a foot touched her and then pretend to be hurt so she could get a treat from the fridge. She had also perfected squinting with one eye in order to look hurt for treats and sympathy. She would have made a fine lawyer or football player if cats cared about such fields.

She was the step mom for three other cats over the years. Whenever there was a new kitten in the house, she would cuddle and groom them. Also she really liked kitten food so the fringe benefits were at least part of the reason for her maternal behavior.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

the holy poopacy posted:

call me crazy but I think the guy who lies about being a full half foot taller than he actually is may have some weird hangups about height

I thought they were the same person, my bad.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for embarassing my colleague after she called me a princess?

quote:

At my work they allow 1 day a year for volunteering. My manager said that we should do a river clean up or something like that.

My colleague pipes up and says "oh i know kate would enjoy that, but OP wouldn't be keen."

I hear this from my desk, turn around and ask her what does she mean by that and she responds with " what? Nothing, it's just I thought you would be a bit of a princess about it, because of lunch".

What she means by that is I always wash my hands before I eat, and that if the food I have is messy then I will use utensils, so like a few times I've ordered chicken wings and used a knife and fork (but let me just say, those bones are clean at the end). She has laughed at me about it before and I've told her that I don't like getting sauce on my hands. This is mainly because its the office, I don't want to make a mess or be a mess.

So I respond " so because I like to keep my hands clean at work means that I'm a princess and wouldn't do what needs to be done?"

She starts to look embarrassed, and tells me that I should just drop the topic, but I'll admit I was a bit annoyed and she hadn't even apologised.

So I say to her "you're saying that even though you are fully aware that up until a few months ago I was a carer for my bed bound nan, and didn't hesitate to get my hands dirty. So if you don't want to do river clean up, that's on you." I then went to the organiser and suggested a volunteering company that I had used in a previous company.

Apparently my manager had heard the whole interaction and then called my colleague over to talk about her conduct in the workplace. Nothing serious, just a slap on the hand.

The sign up form went up for the river clean up, as I'm signing up, she comes over to me and says the I completely over reacted on something that was a small joke. One other colleague has said that I could use just ignored her.

I don't regret standing up for myself but now I'm wondering if I should have just ignored it or talked to her outside.

TL;DR colleague calls me a princess and tells the team I wouldn't want to volunteer for a river clean up purely based on the fact that I like to keep my hands clean when I eat lunch. I called her out and reminded her that I was a carer for my bed bound gran and that I am more than OK with getting my hands dirty when needed. Our manager heard our conversation and she got a slap on the wrist about office conduct. But she and another colleague have told me that I shouldn't have spoken back like that in the office.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The Glumslinger posted:

Huh, traumatic situation, I wonder what is going on there, probably just something blown out of proportion

:allbuttons:

quote:

I'm shocked because obviously all the catering, everything's been put in and now 4 people won't be attending

You mean 3, right? 3 people won't be attending. Or are you also mad at the boyfriend for dying?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for embarassing my colleague after she called me a princess?

More like a queen IMO

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dr. Stab posted:

You mean 3, right? 3 people won't be attending. Or are you also mad at the boyfriend for dying?

He must be mortified

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dr. Stab posted:

Bury the boyfriend's portion with him so he can eat it in the afterlife

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My (27M) partner (26NB) will not watch tv or movies unless there is a queer character in the main cast and it’s meaning I don’t get to pick what we watch together anymore

quote:

This is a bit silly but bare with me

My partner and I don’t have a lot of money and live in an area with not a whole lot to do so we spend a lot of time watching tv and movies together. This was great at first — I love film and often have things I want to share with them or find things I haven’t seen yet that I want to watch together! They also introduced me to lots of stuff I hadn’t seen before and it was fun back and forthing on who had something cool to bring to the table.

However in the last few months they have become increasingly discerning about what they will watch — basically unless it’s kind of soft and fluffy and about a queer character or couple, they’re not interested. I’ve tried introducing stuff that has gay side characters that come in later, it doesn’t take. I’ve tried introducing things that are written by queer folks or who wrote other things they liked, nope not good enough. I’m bisexual myself so I understand the joy of seeing representation on screen but the reality is I don’t enjoy watching exclusively soft fluffy cute stuff just because there’s a queer character in the main cast. Every tv show I have tried to introduce we watch maybe two episodes of before they get bored, so I more or less don’t bother suggesting anymore because wherever I offer is always wrong.

I’ve tried to bring this up to them but they get upset, worrying I want to break up and that I hate spending time with them which isn’t true at all, I just miss the variety. We are rewatching a lot of stuff we’ve seen before because there’s only a small handful of things that are hitting right for them. I’m not really sure how to express that it hurts my feelings a little that every time I try to suggest something to watch I get shut down, especially because they often get burned out on making decisions and want me to take over, but then tell me all the stuff I like is too gritty or hard to follow.

Outside of this issue our relationship is pretty great, and when we initially met and up until fairly recently this was not an issue — I even was able to get them to watch a lot of stuff in genres they don’t usually get into which had queer characters in the cast. But recently I even tried stuff like Adventure Time and got shut down because it’s too long and not as gay as they would like.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with this or talk to them about it? Any other LGBTQ folks have similar experiences? They are fairly newly out which I think is influencing this a little because it’s still very novel.

TL;DR: my partner and I are struggling to spend time together because all they want to do is watch tv shows with gay characters in the main cast and anything less is unacceptable and it’s becoming tiring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for refusing to give my sister my “un-used” twin bed?

quote:

AITA for not giving my sister my “un-used” twin bed set for her daughter?

I 26 female and my sister Megan 36 female have been in an argument for the past day because I refused to give her my twin bed set for her 4-year-old daughter. In the master bedroom of my house, I have a bed for myself and a nice, tall twin bed set I used as a dog bed for my three German Shepards. The bed is super cute and equipped with everything from dinosaur bedsheets to large plushy pillows in the shapes of bones and T-Rexs.

Background: Since the first day my sister found out she was pregnant she has been demanding handouts from everyone in the family. My sister was not nor is currently financially stable or able to support having a child, instead of getting a job she mostly guilt trips my mother and stepfather into paying for everything she and the child needs. My sister recently moved back into town and was unable to bring most of her things from her previous house due to her having to leave in a hurry.

Story: Two days ago my sister came and visited me at my house for the first time since I bought the place over two years ago. My sister was expecting me to live and I quote “in a poo poo shack” but was quite surprised to find out I live in a quiet comfortable home filled with nice things I take care of. When my sister saw the master bedroom she noticed the second bed I use for the dog and commented on how stupid it was that I spent my money on a separate bed just for my dogs.

Walking through my house my sister treated it like a shopping trip and constantly pointed out things I should give her for her new apartment that my mother and stepfather are paying for. But she seemed to be most fixated on the bed I use for my dogs, she constantly pointing out how her daughter could really use a bed since she would be having to share with my sister until they can afford a separate bed for my niece. The entire time I stonewall my sister and refused to give her any of the items in my house, eventually my sister left disappointed and quite fussy.

The next day I woke up to messages from my mother, stepfather, sister-friends, and even her baby daddy all saying that I am cruel and that it is unfair for me to not give my sister the twin especially if it’s not even being used. My stepfather is trying to play peacekeeper and has offered to pay me in secret for me to give my sister the bed as a “housewarming present”. I am not interested in giving my sister the bed nor any of the other items in my house as a housewarming present or otherwise, AITA?