Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Moon Slayer posted:

Fox News was really only just starting to spin up the "Russia is manly and strong because they're anti-woke unlike our Army which lets those people in, therefore we should be on their side" in early 2022.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1483612693827182596

Ironically, if Putin had held off another six months or so this message would have permeated the right-wing-o-sphere enough to maybe actually affect policy but that's just one more thing Russia hosed up.

This is a different stream of conservative thought. The Kochs for example famously promoted "responsible statecraft" which essentially meant neo-realism. Fascists liked Russia for its leadership and "trad" culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Russian Ammo Dump gets hit, starts exploding all over the place.

Точка-У ударила по складам с боеприпасами!!! Слава богу наши ребята живы!!
"Point-U hit the ammunition depots!!! Thank God our guys are alive!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdGA88Eo8vs

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Ynglaur posted:

Is Germany trying to kill its own defense industry? So far we've seen them prevent others from reselling their kit, and their own kit is a bunch of rusted, sad things from the Cold War. If I'm Slovakia I think I say, "fine, cancel the other half of our order. We'll get LeClercs / Challengers / Abrams / K2s instead. gently caress off forever."

Germany has not been manufacturing the Leopard 2 in any real numbers in years and I can't imagine the ammo stockpiles for it are high enough to support mass export at this time. It's likely that the Leopard 2 is too expensive of a program for what it delivers and that they're probably trying to light-speed their new tank. They've likely been gunshy about exporting their tanks after it was revealed that Turkey was using their Leopard 2s against Kurds (Germany pulled any support for Turkey's Leopards soon after).

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hot off another chapter in the Molotov Ribbentrop pact our friend Herr Scholz is the chaotic evil of the sandwich image considering a rifle to be a tank and therefore Germany cannot help with anything that resembles a tank and by resembles I do mean, made of metal.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Kchama posted:

The people who would be in charge of bringing up the bills are literally the same people who are currently extremely supportive of Ukraine. They would not be interested in playing games with something extremely popular with the voting populace and giving the Dems something easy to hit them with.

Not to mention the multi-billion dollar U.S. defense industry has a) made drat sure it has jobs-producing factories all over red states (and in pretty much every single district) to make it as politically costly as possible for politicians to vote down defense contracts and b) just lost its biggest cash cow (Afghanistan) and has been looking for another market to tap since we pulled out. That its a genuinely good cause that's broadly supported is just a bonus.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Oracle posted:

Not to mention the multi-billion dollar U.S. defense industry has a) made drat sure it has jobs-producing factories all over red states (and in pretty much every single district) to make it as politically costly as possible for politicians to vote down defense contracts and b) just lost its biggest cash cow (Afghanistan) and has been looking for another market to tap since we pulled out. That its a genuinely good cause that's broadly supported is just a bonus.

Ok, do you have any particular numbers or sources here?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Now that McDonald's has returned to Ukraine can I doordash to the Sieverodonetsk front?

-

https://t.me/lumsrc/1899

Russia has had some success expanding the popsana salient at the top and bottom of it but has had less luck sharpening the spearhead. They were repelled at the center of the salient closest to lysychanak.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1539407129542549504

quote:

Some point out that Europe’s oil embargo has yet to take effect, and say the long-term effects of Russia’s economic ostracism over the war remain a powerful determiner of the country’s fate. Those effects extend far beyond the trade in fossil fuels, hobbling Russian banking and other industries, but it is largely the sale of oil and gas that keeps the government — and its military — afloat.

“Things are much better than the worst case, and probably even better than the base case,” Yevgeny Nadorshin, the chief economist at the PF Capital consulting company in Moscow, said of Russia’s energy revenue. “Unfortunately, the most difficult period is only beginning.”

Whether Mr. Putin will now feel financially emboldened to prosecute the war indefinitely is an open question. But there is every indication that Ukraine and its supporters are girding further for a protracted conflict.

[...]

But in the short term, the United States and its Western allies had been counting on economic sanctions, not criminal prosecutions, to persuade Moscow to back down, or at least degrade its ability to sustain the war. For now, at least, that tactic appears to have boomeranged, given surging demand in Asia for oil from Russia, the world’s third-largest producer of oil after the United States and Saudi Arabia.

In May, China’s imports of Russian oil rose 28 percent from the previous month, hitting a record high and helping Russia overtake Saudi Arabia as China’s largest supplier, according to Chinese statistics. India, which once purchased little Russian oil, is now bringing in more than 760,000 barrels a day, according to shipping data analyzed by Kpler, a market research firm.

“Asia has saved Russian crude production,” said Viktor Katona, an analyst at Kpler. “Russia, instead of falling further, is almost close to its prepandemic levels.”

According to Rystad Energy, an independent research and business analytics company, Russian crude sales to Europe dropped by 554,000 barrels a day from March to May, but Asian refiners increased their take by 503,000 barrels a day — nearly a one-for-one replacement.

Although Russia is selling the oil at a steep discount because of the risks associated with sanctions imposed over the Ukraine invasion, soaring energy prices have compensated. Russia took in $1.7 billion more last month than it did in April, according to the International Energy Agency.

It remains unclear whether Asia will buy all the Russian oil once destined for Europe, as the European Union works to wean itself from dependence on the Kremlin’s energy exports. But for now, the shift has enabled Moscow to maintain oil production levels and confound expectations that its output would plunge.

China’s purchases in particular have underscored the support Mr. Putin enjoys from his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, who has pledged to deepen cooperation with Moscow, whatever his qualms about the war in Ukraine.

The combination of discounted Russian crude and higher prices at the pump also means that Indian refiners are profiting doubly, according to analysts. Some of the oil products exported by India have been shipped to the United States, Britain, France and Italy, according to the Finnish-based Center for Research on Energy and Clean Air.

Once the refiners turn oil into diesel or gasoline, no one can distinguish whether the fuels they ship to Europe and elsewhere come from Russian crude. That means Western motorists who think they are paying more for non-Russian fuel may be mistaken.

“Those molecules, a lot of them are Russian,” Jeff Brown, the president of F.G.E., an energy consulting firm, said of the refined oil products exported to the West.

The high global demand for Russia’s oil and gas is prompting Russian officials to declare that the West’s efforts to limit Russian exports have flopped.

[...]

Still, the sanctions are likely to exact more pain on the Russian economy later this year. And while the rebound of Russia’s currency, the ruble, is attributable in part to the country’s surprising economic resilience, it also reflects the strict government controls on capital flows and plummeting imports into Russia.

Mr. Putin’s government also has sharply reduced how much budget data is made public, making it hard to quantify how much it is spending on the war. Analysts say there is no evidence that Mr. Putin is under immediate pressure — economic or otherwise — to wind down his military campaign.

But Mr. Nadorshin said that the data the government does release indicated it was trying to curtail spending across the board. And evidence of shortfalls in the Russian army’s equipment, with volunteers scrambling to deliver first-aid gear and other basic items to the troops, shows the limits in the Kremlin’s ability to finance the war effort.

“The government’s readiness to spend is clearly suffering, despite the bravado of the official pronouncements,” Mr. Nadorshin said. “It’s not hard to guess that in terms of procuring weaponry, not everything is going well.”

What a shitshow.

I made the mistake of reading Twitter reactions. I guess a lot of people online would have just let Putin win? Not sure what else to think when people said "I told you sanctions were dumb!"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

What a shitshow.

I made the mistake of reading Twitter reactions. I guess a lot of people online would have just let Putin win? Not sure what else to think when people said "I told you sanctions were dumb!"

That was expected. Sanctions mean that it doesn't matter how much money Russia has, they can't spend it on anything.

Western Europe spurning Russian oil and gas is primarily about severing any dependence and leverage Russia may have over them. Russia will continue to sell oil into the world market and there's not really anything anyone can do about it.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Hmm, maybe if somehow the oil price would crash again.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

What a shitshow.
Because Russia must sell crude at a discount, producers especially, but every Russian chain in the supply, essentially are losing money. That means to break even, they must increase production, and net profits are very difficult to achieve. That can be offset by really increasing production, which has limits, and injections of stockpiled cash, which they have, but that kind of legerdemain plays unpredictably with the economy. Russian economists must be losing their minds trying to moderate the effects.

The upside, is that their increased production to Asia and India, at discounted prices, encourages lower pricing by refiners, who then resell it to the west. The greater volume and lower pricing, if they pass it on, can marginally keep petrol prices from exploding, as they would if Russia's oil was not being distributed. So it really is a conundrum.

the popes toes fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 22, 2022

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Eric Cantonese posted:

What a shitshow.

None of that is surprising. Putin's original calculation was that he could profit from the war, which would spike the price of oil. Sanctions on Russia, which do not cause the price of oil to decrease, do not prevent him from doing that.

Instead the point of sanctions is to gut the rest of the Russian economy. Since the price of oil will not stay high forever, there is an incentive to eventually end the war.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/jonnytickle/status/1538970654145404934?cxt=HHwWjICzgf_pwtsqAAAA

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

HOLY gently caress :stare:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is that an Instagram logo there? Highly illegal. Someone should report them for spreading terrorist materials.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

Holy poo poo it starts off bad for these guys and only gets worse

Props to the dude standing against a gate and casually smoking a cigarette as the camera crew boys crouch-run from place to place trying to avoid shrapnel

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Eric Cantonese posted:

What a shitshow.

if russian oil isn't having trouble making it to market, how could energy shortages be pushing the price to all time highs? if china and india were already willing to buy oil at a premium, why wasn't russia just selling it to them instead of the west in the first place? i'm willing to buy that on the balance russian revenue is higher now than pre-sanctions (although it's very unclear to me how effectively russia can turn oil revenue into imports), but if china and india really are completely making up the volume at higher prices, then that's an insane arbitrage opportunity that has been sitting under everyone's noses for a while

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if russian oil isn't having trouble making it to market, how could energy shortages be pushing the price to all time highs? if china and india were already willing to buy oil at a premium, why wasn't russia just selling it to them instead of the west in the first place? i'm willing to buy that on the balance russian revenue is higher now than pre-sanctions (although it's very unclear to me how effectively russia can turn oil revenue into imports), but if china and india really are completely making up the volume at higher prices, then that's an insane arbitrage opportunity that has been sitting under everyone's noses for a while

quote:

Although Russia is selling the oil at a steep discount because of the risks associated with sanctions imposed over the Ukraine invasion, soaring energy prices have compensated. Russia took in $1.7 billion more last month than it did in April, according to the International Energy Agency.

China and India are not willing to buy oil at a premium, but global energy prices are so high that Russia is still generating more revenue even with the price being discounted from the current market rate.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

All time highs? Adjusted for inflation, oil prices reached peaks 25-50% higher in 2008 than anything we've seen this year. Even without adjusting for inflation I'm not sure we've actually beaten the 2008 peak. U.S. gasoline prices are noticeably higher than 2008, partly because of 14 years of inflation and partly because no one is expecting fracking to come to the rescue anymore.

Bear in mind that a lot of the current price spike is just basic demand. Oil prices have been depressed for the past few years due to the pandemic but now that consumption is recovering demand is rapidly outstripping supply, with or without Russia. Russia has certainly played its part in juicing the price but we would probably be seeing triple digit oil prices regardless.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

VideoGameVet posted:

as a non-russian speaker, does the audio give any explanation for why they pile into a truck and instead of gunning it directly out of the dump they instead start an on foot scramble through that hellstorm? the sheer amount of energy being unleashed is unreal, it puts the magnitude of something like the halifax disaster in perspective

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Russian oil is sold at 30% discount.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Just to put some numbers on it, the price spread between Urals (i.e. Russian crude) and Brent (i.e. North Sea crude) was around $1-3 pre-war. In other words, if a barrel of Brent was trading at $80, a barrel of Urals might go for $77-79.

Since the war, that spread has blown out and a barrel of Urals now trades at a roughly $35 discount.

(These numbers are from Thomsen Reuters but I'm not sure how much visibility they have into Chinese/Indian trades.)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

as a non-russian speaker, does the audio give any explanation for why they pile into a truck and instead of gunning it directly out of the dump they instead start an on foot scramble through that hellstorm? the sheer amount of energy being unleashed is unreal, it puts the magnitude of something like the halifax disaster in perspective

No, just a bunch of distressed and disorganised kids trying to stumble through that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if russian oil isn't having trouble making it to market, how could energy shortages be pushing the price to all time highs?

At least in the US of A there's a lot of price gouging going on.

d64
Jan 15, 2003

the popes toes posted:

Because Russia must sell crude at a discount, producers especially, but every Russian chain in the supply, essentially are losing money. That means to break even, they must increase production, and net profits are very difficult to achieve.
Do you have a source for this? All I have read is that despite the discounts, they are more profitable than before the war.

Already years ago I read that Russia's oil industry has a lower cost per barrel produced than many other big producers.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Coldbird posted:

Trump can withdraw from NATO day one, UK likely follows, and it’s all downhill from there. Or at least, downhill faster than now. Poland and friends would still likely drag it out for years, and it really could turn into WW3 then.

I think the window of opportunity for us withdrawal has thoughally closed, but the idea that the UK would follow a US withdrawal is laughable. Our politicians make so much hay from looking tough, and it justifies continued building of silly ships in marginal seats to bribe voters. Just a mind boggling misunderstanding of UK political landscape.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Ynglaur posted:

Is Germany trying to kill its own defense industry? So far we've seen them prevent others from reselling their kit, and their own kit is a bunch of rusted, sad things from the Cold War. If I'm Slovakia I think I say, "fine, cancel the other half of our order. We'll get LeClercs / Challengers / Abrams / K2s instead. gently caress off forever."

Good luck with that. The LeClerc and Challenger are both out of production already and the successeurs will include German companys.
So it's either the Abrams export variant or bust.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, just a bunch of distressed and disorganised kids trying to stumble through that.

They were insanely lucky to survive. Holy poo poo that was intense

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Charliegrs posted:

I feel like there's one factor that the Biden administration isn't thinking about when it comes to urgency to arm the Ukrainians and that's the 22 and 24 elections. The house is expecteded to flip in 22, and my guess is it will be full of the worst kind of Russia loving chuds at that point. How will Biden get any Ukraine arms bills through that congress? That's why they need to be doing absolutely everything they can right now while they still have a Congress that's sympathetic to the Ukrainian cause and well, democracy in general. And if Trump or DeSantis wins in 2024? Lol that's a wrap folks nice knowing you Ukraine.
If there's anything that US politicians love, it's spending billions on the military industrial complex, so you probably shouldn't worry. That includes Trump.

Trump is somewhat more unpredictable on foreign policy than the bipartisan consensus of the past decades, but he actually reversed Obama's policies and started arming Ukraine. So I wouldn't count on him automatically dropping support for Ukraine.

You probably should reconsider a lot of what you heard about Trump and Russia(gate). It was mostly over hyped bullshit from the Democrats. Not that you'd want that madman back in power when the chances at a nuclear showdown between the US and Russia keep rising.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Having a visit from the AG seems odd to me, especially in light of the historical (bad) relationship between UA and the previous POTUS and his lackeys. Has any other AG or equivalent made a visit to Ukraine?

==

A couple of pages ago...

Kraftwerk posted:

What's the strategic value of Snake Island anyway?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, it’s just 35km away from the shore.
I've been wondering if it's not just the proximity to shore that has made it seem like such a valuable asset that RU is willing to waste what seems an inordinate amount of assets on it, but that it is also close to the mouth of the Danube. As a waterway the river extends almost all the way to France, and with the Rhine-Main canal offers a trade route from the North Sea across Europe to the Black Sea.

It's also the only access for water traffic from Moldova to reach the Black Sea and Mediterranean.

They certainly seem interested making the island a permanent asset.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

CSM posted:

If there's anything that US politicians love, it's spending billions on the military industrial complex, so you probably shouldn't worry. That includes Trump.

Trump is somewhat more unpredictable on foreign policy than the bipartisan consensus of the past decades, but he actually reversed Obama's policies and started arming Ukraine. So I wouldn't count on him automatically dropping support for Ukraine.

You probably should reconsider a lot of what you heard about Trump and Russia(gate). It was mostly over hyped bullshit from the Democrats. Not that you'd want that madman back in power when the chances at a nuclear showdown between the US and Russia keep rising.

Trump very famously attempted to blackmail Ukraine over the aid that Congress was sending them, so I don't think you should attempt to hype up Trump as good on Ukraine. It was despite Trump, not because of Trump.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 22, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And that was still an upgrade over Obama who refused to provide any weapons at all lol.

Anyway, new Zizek just dropped, and it's making some tankies uncomfortable I think

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/21/pacificsm-is-the-wrong-response-to-the-war-in-ukraine

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1539525840966492160
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1539526871557320709

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

And that was still an upgrade over Obama who refused to provide any weapons at all lol.

Anyway, new Zizek just dropped, and it's making some tankies uncomfortable I think

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/21/pacificsm-is-the-wrong-response-to-the-war-in-ukraine

Yeah, and apparently that was because Merkel showed up and begged Obama not to when they started sending gear to Ukraine, which, lol, somehow not a shocker.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

GaussianCopula posted:

Good luck with that. The LeClerc and Challenger are both out of production already and the successeurs will include German companys.
So it's either the Abrams export variant or bust.

The K2 is a currently produced tank availabe for export, and the South Korean defence industries have been doing a good job eating the lunch of all the German companies the last decade.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Voice commentary briefly before explosion:

:confused: “Are those Ukrainians or something?”
:smug: “Of course not”

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I enjoy the cameraman's total lack of urgency whatsoever

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Post-explosion conversation is fairly pastoral, minus brief wailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I feel like that's a pretty standard response, at least among most of the Russian dashcams video I've seen. Every now and then someone goes ape poo poo but often you don't even hear an "oh gently caress!" in Russian when someone like, watches a jet crash into a semi in front of them on the highway, or a meteor explode in the atmosphere above them. To the extent that even uh... Jon Stewart? did a bit about it regarding Russian reactions on video to the Chelyabinsk meteor explosion.

Maybe that's normal though. I have recorded a couple crashes on my dashcam IRL but I don't get cabin audio, so maybe I don't go "oh what the fuckkkkk!!!" either when I've seen a bus merge into a car or whatever.