Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

GrandpaPants posted:

Ankh is a CMON game, so a not insignificant chunk of gameplay is a Kickstarter exclusive.

Unlike a lot of CMON games the base set of Ankh is really, really strong on its own, at least in my opinion. Plus you can currently get both expansions for MSRP on Amazon and I've definitely seen them floating around some FLGSes. (Speaking of which, which would be recommended as a first buy, the one with new gods or the Pharoah expansion? I'm really digging Ankh.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

!Klams posted:

All awesome suggestions, thank you!

If forbidden stars had an expansion with ANY other, non boring af races, I'd snap it up.

If you don’t mind DIY or spending big bucks on boutique print runs there are 8 more races on BGG :black101:

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

!Klams posted:

If forbidden stars had an expansion with ANY other, non boring af races, I'd snap it up. Loved SC but it was always hard to get to the table because of the fiddly combat, sounds like they cleared that up! But, yeah, Space marines, space marines, orks and elves... Sigh. Come on.

There are actually several fan expansions, such as Galaxy in Flames (adds Tau, Imperial Guard, Tyranids and Necrons) and Darkest Dawn (the four different Chaos factions). I think you can even have them professionally printed: https://sklep.mbprint.pl/en/product/galaxy-in-flames/?fbclid=IwAR2n8dJXOXN4XlFzPgv4W7X0oZjX_mkx9gBBwwH02oAXbpSXKIQSv2Sij7k

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

That being said, how is Journeys in Middle Earth, because that sounds like it might be more up my alley, more of an RPG in a box and I like that. Gloomhaven missed me taking 20+ minutes to set up and tear down, so

Bad, particularly given the cost. And I even like app driven games when they're done well.

It's a combination of poor board game / app integration, poor use of the material and boring overall gameplay. Click my posts in this thread for an effort post review a while back but you could find far better games for far less money.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fellis posted:

What’s the best version of Patchwork to buy? I assumed most of the editions were just cosmetic differences and then I saw the Halloween edition has rebalanced tiles? Are there other versions with those as well?

Also if there are any other games with stitching/knitting/etc themes that people could recommend I’d appreciate it!

Calico has a quilting theme

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Fellis posted:

What’s the best version of Patchwork to buy? I assumed most of the editions were just cosmetic differences and then I saw the Halloween edition has rebalanced tiles? Are there other versions with those as well?

Last I checked they said that the rebalanced tiles were only going to be in the Halloween one. But I'm also not sure whether you'll notice the rebalancing or lack thereof unless you really play it a lot. The Halloween one wasn't that great visually.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Bad, particularly given the cost. And I even like app driven games when they're done well.

It's a combination of poor board game / app integration, poor use of the material and boring overall gameplay. Click my posts in this thread for an effort post review a while back but you could find far better games for far less money.

I think you mean the prior thread, since only five posts came up and your most efforty post was the one about TI4

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Crashbee posted:

There are actually several fan expansions, such as Galaxy in Flames (adds Tau, Imperial Guard, Tyranids and Necrons) and Darkest Dawn (the four different Chaos factions). I think you can even have them professionally printed: https://sklep.mbprint.pl/en/product/galaxy-in-flames/?fbclid=IwAR2n8dJXOXN4XlFzPgv4W7X0oZjX_mkx9gBBwwH02oAXbpSXKIQSv2Sij7k

HHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

What do you do about the mini's though? (Please don't let the answer be what I know in my heart the answer can only be...)

Rockman Reserve posted:

Unlike a lot of CMON games the base set of Ankh is really, really strong on its own, at least in my opinion. Plus you can currently get both expansions for MSRP on Amazon and I've definitely seen them floating around some FLGSes. (Speaking of which, which would be recommended as a first buy, the one with new gods or the Pharoah expansion? I'm really digging Ankh.)

I REALLY like Cthulu: Death May Die, and I got the retail version of that. I think I'd love the expansion but haven't really got the mileage out of the base yet to justify it.

I know you kinda said already, but ... honestly, like, HOW different are the different Gods? If it was 'very' instead of 'quite but it's subtle' I would actually have already bought it... Is it just that one detail between them all, that has a big impact? Or are there other subtle differences too?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 21, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I have no clue if this fits this thread or not but it's the closest thing I can think of. It concerns an update I got on kickstarter but, near as I can tell, is not about anything actually related to any specific kickstarter but rather stuff regarding the creation and management of some campaigns?? I'm not sure.

I'm also not even sure whether it'd really fit in here to talk about this because it's about stuff like tarot cards and oracle cards and divination stuff in general, but once I get into it I hope you'll understand why I thought it'd fit in this thread.

SO with all the disclaimer and context poo poo outta the way:

I got a mysterious black banner at the top of kickstarter and it linked me to this page.
https://www.kickstarter.com/magic?ref=banner

The thing that caught my eye was that a rep for Wyrmwood would be doing a presentation on the 29th, which was surprising to me since from what I looked up Wyrmwood just handled stuff like gaming tables and fancy shmancy wooden tools for gaming. I tried checking their website and searching google but the only thing I could find connecting them to divination stuff at all were links back to that kickstarter page I linked above. I am not entirely sure what they would even talk about because they're not exactly in the business of making tarot decks, oracle decks, or anything like that. The closest I can think of is that they have some player boards which they could maybe use as a jumping off point for divination cloths/boards, dice aren't that far removed from crystals which are all over divination poo poo, and I guess Wyrmwood also sells candles and the biggest stretch would be jumping from that to making candles intended for divination purposes.

All in all I just think it's kind of odd and strange. I'm not familiar with whoever the other person is and I haven't personally heard of Kaleidadope but I'm just puzzled and curious about what the "let's post video documentation of all of our OSHA violations" company has to do with tarot and oracle cards lol

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

!Klams posted:

What do you do about the mini's though? (Please don't let the answer be what I know in my heart the answer can only be...)

I REALLY like Cthulu: Death May Die, and I got the retail version of that. I think I'd love the expansion but haven't really got the mileage out of the base yet to justify it.

I know you kinda said already, but ... honestly, like, HOW different are the different Gods? If it was 'very' instead of 'quite but it's subtle' I would actually have already bought it... Is it just that one detail between them all, that has a big impact? Or are there other subtle differences too?

Ankh is a great, great game but I didn't raise it as it is very different from Runewars - it's almost like an abstract Knizia area majority/control game, extremely strategic and pretty much no random elements. The differences between the Gods superficially doesn't look like much (e.g. all players have the same upgrade tree) but in the context of a very simple, highly interactive rule set they make a big difference. More so than many other games I can think of with nominally asymmetric factions and differentiated units/upgrades. I don't think it will give you a RTS or Runewars vibe but its a tense, strategic, fast playing and highly interactive game that's really worth a look otherwise.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Any thoughts on Ahnk as a 2p game? The merge system seems pretty divisive but 2p would remove that hurdle.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

!Klams posted:

Open you heart to the wonders of 3D printing. Then realize that you want even higher quality miniatures for the game and buy a second 3D printer, this time a resin one. After that accept that a game this good needs dual color acrylic tokens and purchase a laser cutter/engraver. Don't forget that each faction's minis should be a unique color so you should get an air brush for good measure. Then you can marvel at the glory of your creation as it sits on the shelf never to be played.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

!Klams posted:

Given the overlap with So Very Wrong About Games ameritrash here, have you tried another of their favourite troop on a map game Lords of Hellas?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

!Klams posted:

People sell them on Etsy, and also there are group-buy threads every few months in the BGG forums where they get professionally made. Pretty sure it's very expensive though.

Bottom Liner posted:

Any thoughts on Ahnk as a 2p game? The merge system seems pretty divisive but 2p would remove that hurdle.

I just recently picked this up after researching it for mainly 2p and saw almost nothing but praise for the 2p game, though I haven't tabled it yet. The No Pun Included review video is mostly about the game at 2 if you want to check that out.

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 22, 2022

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Yep I think it's that very rare DoAM game where the 2 player is as good as the 3-4 player IMO. I can see some people preferring one or the other but they are both great. Most of my games have been 2p. The game comes with a bunch of scenarios that essentially involve different board setups to scale player count. I SUSPECT some God combos might be a bit funny at 2 player but I haven't played it enough to really tell for sure. It's never felt unbalanced.

The merge is great if from turn 1 everyone understands it is going to happen and plans accordingly over the game. It particularly makes decisions (in a 4p game) between who is going to be 2nd and 3rd when the merge happens interesting and important. It also means nobody (almost) is ever out of the game. I much prefer it to either bash the leader or some catch up mechanism which renders the first half of the game pointless.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Do CMON ever let you pledge to an older product in their newer kickstarters? Or are they the company that is basically 1 and done as a marketing tool? Mostly interested about whether Ankh will ever be available in the Kickstarter version again.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

FulsomFrank posted:

I don't think there's a single Werhle game that isn't a PITA to teach. Try explaining how Pax Pamir works to someone with even an above average experience in the hobby and get back to me. Oath is absurd. Root is multiplayer solitaire until you get a half dozen games under you belt and even then congrats, you've learned maybe how to play one faction properly.

WRONG. I shove 18xx down everyone's throats hell or high water. I will make them see the way.

Having not done it a few times online I don't think John Company.is that bad. There's definitely don't edge cases but you can pretty much go down the ribbon and have it start making sense. Prove some commentary on why and it's not too hard.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Chiming in to also boost Ankh as great at two players.

!Klams posted:

It literally boils down to their single power, which I know isn’t what you want to hear. Over your first couple of games they’ll likely feel pretty same-y. But the entire game is designed so tightly that those tiny differences end up supporting hugely different play styles as you learn the game and more about what to expect from it.

As others have said, despite the (frankly quite impressive) minis, it’s very different from any other DoaM game I’ve played before, though admittedly it’s not a genre I have a ton of specific experience in. The amount of strategy and planning that evolves through gameplay is really intense - my last game came down to the last turn and I won by a single point by planning ahead and ensuring I was the last one to split a territory, which lets you slightly rearrange the battle resolution order. It’s one of the tightest diceless designs I’ve ever seen.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Also, instead of spending gazillions on the expansions to get all the Gods, you can just look up all their powers and play all of them with the base components. :)

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Ok, so y'all have convinced me that this is something I should be looking at! I went to see if my FLGS has it, and actually, it turns out they do, plus all the expansions, but ALSO, they have a copy in their library! So I can go play it first and see what I think! YUSS! Thanks you guys, you always deliver.

hoiyes posted:

Given the overlap with So Very Wrong About Games ameritrash here, have you tried another of their favourite troop on a map game Lords of Hellas?

Ha, so, yeah... I do, and I think it's actually a really good game, but also kind of 'mean' for want of a better word. In that, it makes you really wanna do certain stuff, but then sort of punishes you if you don't do other things instead. So I often find people feel pretty bad playing it, which makes it hard to get to the table.

Like, you have these giant monument minis, that you can build as an action, and one of the win conditions involves a full monument being constructed!* So that's this really tactile, really in your face, attractive route to victory that instinctively you wanna do. Only, that particular action is also the timer for the game to end, and also is the only way to refresh all the other actions of the game. But it's kind of the slowest way to win. So hitting it over and over refreshes the actions the other people are taking, enabling them to fulfill the other victory conditions quicker. What's more, even if you construct the monument, and somehow no one else has won, you then have to hold it for a round. If all you've been doing is constructing it, someone else can have been using their actions to build an army to just swoop in and take it! So if you look at the cool statues and think "I wanna do that!" you're probably gonna be disappointed.

Another route to victory is to fight beasts, who have cool big minis that stomp around, and a fun push-your-luck minigame for combat. The thing is, if only one person goes for it, they WILL win the game. So it's up to other people to stop them, by killing the monsters themselves. But not everyone can actually necessarily reach the monsters. So, it kinda falls to people to do their duty and give up their plans to instead stop someone winning. (I guess a bit like whacking the Vagabond). This can be annoying for both players, and is annoying for the uninvolved players if the whacker just refuses, because, the solo fighter just stomps it home and there's little they could have done.

Another way to win is just area control, and there are your typical DOAM fights to win territory off other players. But, if someone kills a monster, they get a token that lets them, as a special action, just straight-up claim a territory, without any contest. Mostly what this means is that the person trying to win via beasts can just trivially shut down a player who is otherwise gonna take it via area control. So, again, you have to be reactive / have your fingers in several pies.

What this means in practice is that you have to play all the different elements of the game, and keep it all in balance. You can't just pick a single strategy at the start and hope to win off it. You have to actually react to the other players, CONSTANTLY. Every choice they make, you gotta think "Oh crap, now I have to do X". And, I think that actually makes for a great game. But it doesn't necessarily make for a good experience, because you've just got people either stopping you doing 'the fun thing' constantly, or other players demanding you stop doing 'the fun thing'.

Actually talking about it has made me really want to play it again, I'm gonna drive to give it another go.

*One rule we came up with was that 'constructing a monument' was actually 'claiming a monument', like as if your troops were stealing it bit by bit. So we start with all the monuments fully built, taking bits 'off' with the monument action, and then if one gets fully built the player builds it again and sticks it on the board. (It is obvious at that point which one is the goal, since it will be occupied and heavily contested). So you still get to build the cool thing if you go that route, but it also means that all the huge cool-looking minis are actually ever on the board.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

!Klams posted:

One of the options on the link I posted is to order the expansion with cardboard standees. The 3D-printed minis I've seen do look good though:

Tyranids:

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 22, 2022

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Crashbee posted:

One of the options on the link I posted is to order the expansion with cardboard standees. The 3D-printed minis I've seen do look good though:

Tyranids:

Wow. Those are sexy as hell! I don't know much about 3D printing, but my dad's got one. Roughly how much would that cost to print so you reckon? (or, does anyone know?)

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Would Schotten Totten/Battle Line be quite similar to Air, Land, and Sea? Probably not worth buying both I reckon but is there a reason to choose one over the other?

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

!Klams posted:

If you think Ares Project looks dry, I would stay away from Space Empires 4x - the techs that do anything but increase your numbers are gated behind optional rules, and even those are few and not particularly noteworthy. I enjoy what the game does with rush strategies vs economy, but it’s pretty flavorless.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Apocron posted:

Would Schotten Totten/Battle Line be quite similar to Air, Land, and Sea? Probably not worth buying both I reckon but is there a reason to choose one over the other?

Similar but at different extremes of the strategic vs tactical scale. All of them are great though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

armorer posted:

Calico has a quilting theme

Oh hey this looks even better, thanks!

High Tension Wire posted:

Last I checked they said that the rebalanced tiles were only going to be in the Halloween one. But I'm also not sure whether you'll notice the rebalancing or lack thereof unless you really play it a lot. The Halloween one wasn't that great visually.

Yeah that’s why I asked, it looked quite bad and I’m buying for someone who is probably more into the theme. I was hoping the Americana one might have it but was not finding much info on bgg

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Apocron posted:

Both are great, but Battle Line is an all-time great, I would say. Air, Land and Sea takes a little less table space, though.

Battle Line takes more time and is more of a brain-burner puzzle. ALS is more modern with different card powers and very quick matches. The biggest gripe I have with ALS is that it plays so fast with experienced players and individual matches don't feel as satisfactory as the best hard fought Battle Line games.

But really, get both! They are different games. ALS is getting a stand-alone expansion soon, so that's nice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The ALS expansion is great, maybe better than the original. You can mix or combine them in “epic” mode too, which is cool. The critters version of the expansion will also be out next month if you prefer that aesthetic (it’s a better set of suit colors for readability).

It’s not necessarily shorter than Battle Line though, once both players are playing safe and withdrawing aggressively a full game can go 45 minutes or more.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Could I have some suggestions for games? It's for a 12 year old, a girl if that makes any difference.

I wish I could be more specific but I can't think of anything. I guess for player count, should support at least 4 players, and preferably more. Not too simple but also not too difficult?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

uXs posted:

Could I have some suggestions for games? It's for a 12 year old, a girl if that makes any difference.

I wish I could be more specific but I can't think of anything. I guess for player count, should support at least 4 players, and preferably more. Not too simple but also not too difficult?

Sushi Go Party
King of Tokyo
Code Names
Forbidden Island/Desert
Letter Jam
Splendor

Simpler smaller stuff:
6 Nimmt
Bohnanza
No Thanks
Phase 10

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

uXs posted:

E: nvm, just read Toshimo’s post ^

Are you able to tell us what she does when she uses her imagination? Anything else in her life stick out as particular, peculiar, or otherwise notable? Has she played board games before? If so, how much and what kind?

Who are the other players - adults, kids her age, etc?

Anybody else have any good probing questions for this person? I’m not versed well in the board game landscape so probably won’t be able to offer a suggestion, but maybe this will help someone else hit on an idea.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

uXs posted:

Mysterium and/or mysterium park

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

uXs posted:

Gonna get better recommendations if you can suggest what kind of stuff shes in to. Like does she like fantasy, adventure, competition, co-operation, buying and selling railroad company stocks in the 19th century, animals, strategy, betrayal, card games, chucking handfuls of dice, dexterity games like jenga, disney movies, whatever. No matter how good something is as a game, its much easier for someone to get into it if they find the theme appealing.

Absent any other information my go-to beginner suggestions are entirely predictable; Any version of Ticket to Ride and/or any version of Love Letter. Both kind of old hat at this point, but IMO both excellent fairly lightweight but not flyaway simple intro games which have easy to explain rules. They're cliched recommendations for a reason. If shes in to disney, I've heard decent enough things about Villainous but cant personally vouch for it, just never played it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

uXs posted:

Tosh's suggestions are all good, except please please please don't get Phase 10. It absolutely sucks out loud. It makes people think board and card games are nonsense tripe. You risk snuffing out a young board gamer if you subject them to it.

I might also suggest Kingdomino, but it maxes out at 4. Also, Just One is the lightest, party-est game ever, but it's great fun and can be played by essentially anyone.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

madmatt112 posted:

E: nvm, just read Toshimo’s post ^

Are you able to tell us what she does when she uses her imagination? Anything else in her life stick out as particular, peculiar, or otherwise notable? Has she played board games before? If so, how much and what kind?

Who are the other players - adults, kids her age, etc?

Hmm. I guess the first thing that comes to mind is that she's a rather active kid, she does athletics, running, tennis.

Previous games: Dominion (which was actually quite a few years ago), Wingspan, Ticket To Ride, The Quest for El Dorado, ...

Other players: her parents, she has a niece her age. Also a brother but he's 7 years younger, so I think it would be hard to play something that's really fun for the both of them. It would be nice if I could at some point play as well. (I'm her uncle.)

SiKboy posted:

Gonna get better recommendations if you can suggest what kind of stuff shes in to. Like does she like fantasy, adventure, competition, co-operation, buying and selling railroad company stocks in the 19th century, animals, strategy, betrayal, card games, chucking handfuls of dice, dexterity games like jenga, disney movies, whatever. No matter how good something is as a game, its much easier for someone to get into it if they find the theme appealing.

Absent any other information my go-to beginner suggestions are entirely predictable; Any version of Ticket to Ride and/or any version of Love Letter. Both kind of old hat at this point, but IMO both excellent fairly lightweight but not flyaway simple intro games which have easy to explain rules. They're cliched recommendations for a reason. If shes in to disney, I've heard decent enough things about Villainous but cant personally vouch for it, just never played it.

Thematically the only things I can think of are Disney and Lego Friends.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Long Shot the Dice Game would probably be a good pick.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

uXs posted:

If she likes Disney, get her Villainous. It's more than fine, it's thematic as hell, it's easy for a 12 year old to pick up, it plays 6, and it's got a bajillion expansions so her parents will curse thank you on future gift events.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

Tosh's suggestions are all good, except please please please don't get Phase 10. It absolutely sucks out loud. It makes people think board and card games are nonsense tripe. You risk snuffing out a young board gamer if you subject them to it.

:emptyquote:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

uXs posted:

People (though not necessarily goons) really like the Disney Villianous series of games. I played it once and thought it was merely okay, but people generally really like it, so it's worth a mention. It is not the normal licensed garbo you might expect of mass market Frozen 2 Monopoly or something. It is an actual board game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I can vouch for Villanous, I introduced my wife to Board games using it. It falls apart if you try min-maxing the game or think too hard about how it’s balanced.

We mostly play Root now.