Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's better than the possibility that a Sun photographer was anywhere near an unaccompanied minor.

e: In 1963 John Profumo resigned for something that Boris Johnson is doing right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I decided to tweet at the person whose byline is on that article to call her a cancer on humanity. Really feel people who write for fash rags shouldn't get a moment's peace.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The deranged anti-union line the press is pushing isn't really lining up with the public attitude that I've seen. Reality seems like much more ambivalence - people think the strikers at least have a strong basis for complaint even if they don't follow that through into openly supporting strikes.

Though I guess the press create reality rather than report it. And I don't have a lot of contact with the retired gestapo that their mostly comprises their readership.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rail Unions cripple UK :getin:
Scargill joins picket line :clint:
Teachers threaten to strike too :hai:

It's CLASS WAR :circlefap: :guillotine: :circlefap:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
If everybody s ready for a class war just give the secret signal.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So they've identified that it's a class war, then explicitly set themselves against the workers. Incredible.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So they've identified that it's a class war, then explicitly set themselves against the workers. Incredible.

the people's paper

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

I decided to tweet at the person whose byline is on that article to call her a cancer on humanity. Really feel people who write for fash rags shouldn't get a moment's peace.

Haha, you too? She has a really good recent tweet that can be dogpiled. It's currently sticked.

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1538769825056669696

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Sun considers Costa servers with English degrees to be the metropolitan elite and Prince William to be middle class, so I think they might be a bit confused about what workers are.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

grobbo posted:

Absolutely obsessed with the very real possibility that a Sun photographer drove their young daughter out to Waterloo last night and made her stand in the empty station with a toy rabbit and a bag, to give the impression that there are now just unaccompanied child evacuees wandering desolately through our nation's rail stations. Our brave tots, tired but unbowed by the monstrous strikes, determined against all odds to find their way back to their parents.

I can't really cope with this stupid bloody country any more.

The people in that picture are clearly moving, not at a standstill though?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Haha, you too? She has a really good recent tweet that can be dogpiled. It's currently sticked.

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1538769825056669696

Exactly the one I went with lmao

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I didn't see much dogpiling on it. Just a lot of blue checkmarks congratulating her on the "promotion".

Now she DRIVES the school bus!

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Deketh posted:

the people's paper

The mysterious public.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

jiggerypokery posted:

I didn't see much dogpiling on it. Just a lot of blue checkmarks congratulating her on the "promotion".

I said 'can be dogpiled'. Dogpiling requires lots of people to dogpile.

e: loving hell... Paul Dacre is being made a Lord

https://twitter.com/MimiJ9/status/1539552444119744514

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jiggerypokery posted:

Now she DRIVES the school bus!

Guavanaut posted:

It's better than the possibility that a Sun photographer was anywhere near an unaccompanied minor.

:ohdear:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fuctifino posted:

I said 'can be dogpiled'. Dogpiling requires lots of people to dogpile.

You also need a well-lit carpark in a slightly out of the way location

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

You also need a well-lit carpark in a slightly out of the way location

Hark at your privilege, what with being able to afford the petrol to get to such places.

In other news, the Tories are beyond parody now https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1539516964313382912

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Please don't be Putin's friend, that's the London housing market's job.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Mykflips/status/1539505514895265792

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

PCCs were such a stupid idea, the only thing stupider being the people elected PCC

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fuctifino posted:

Hark at your privilege, what with being able to afford the petrol to get to such places.

Mate I can't even drive, I just have to watch dogpile videos online

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I just read something "funny" on another UK forum I visit. They fired a guy who did good work (something shop related I think, welding perhaps) because he failed a drug test twice, he was good enough that ordinarily 1st offence was a firing but they gave him two weeks. It all sounds so dumb, the guy was putting out good work and now they're looking for a replacement and complaining about it, because of their own dumb drug testing policies. It's a problem that simply need not exist.

So anyway if someone in southern Essex wants a job that is described like this, note you can't do weed no more then check out the UK mig welding forums I guess:

quote:

The company starts new employees on £15 an hour Paye, with pension, No qualifications needed, All training provided, once you have trained up & got good wages rise up to £25 an hour, All transport to London & back provided all you got to do is turn up at the factory on time. You will need a CCS card.
Anyone live in Southern Essex interested I can pass your number on if you send me a pm.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1539586542821425153

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh word? Is that the same sewage that's being pumped into our rivers?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Jesus Christ the comments on the Twitter are an antivac and conspiracies cesspool. I though Sky News had at least a sane audience, even if a bit right wing.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

This is the kind of poo poo people don’t think about when it comes to austerity - it’s not just welfare, council services, public sector wages etc. The whole country’s material infrastructure is about to fall apart and it’s going to be loving gruesome.

(e: pun not intended, honest)

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 22, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Press needs to maintain neutrality, which is why they have no class.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

"You could talk about the legalisation of alcohol and tobacco, but hey, we’ve still got an illicit industry in the sale of those as well. So it doesn’t even take away the black market."

quote:

However, in the years that followed there was increasing concerns over the modifications being made to cannabis by criminals, making it stronger and more harmful.
:thunk:

Isn't that the perfect case for legalization then? We admit that legalization is not perfect, but is better than the alternatives, and that the majority of people will turn to a safer regulated product even if it doesn't make the black market immediately disappear.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If only we have enough police we can control every aspect of existence to ensure that everything is lawful and proper.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

UKMT:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TheRstott/status/1539532687442169856

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

fuctifino posted:

In other news, the Tories are beyond parody now https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1539516964313382912

Jesus how much mileage do the Tories think they can get out of the war in Ukraine.

Countdown to Boris's next disgrace being chalked up to stress caused by the trains being cancelled and that anyone who mentions it loves Putin and is his best friend

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Jesus how much mileage do the Tories think they can get out of the war in Ukraine.

Countdown to Boris's next disgrace being chalked up to stress caused by the trains being cancelled and that anyone who mentions it loves Putin and is his best friend

Boris Johnson nonced that child in solidarity with the Ukrainian people and only traitors in league with Putin would call for his arrest

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Guavanaut posted:

:thunk:

quote:

However, in the years that followed there was increasing concerns over the modifications being made to cannabis by criminals, making it stronger and more harmful.

I don't want to know what they mean by that cos it's not gonna be nearly as cyberpunk as I'm imagining

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's referring to the skunk cannabis craze from about a decade back, where smoking it just once could make a newspaper paranoid for several years.

They do at least admit in the article

quote:

A study by King's College of London study, based on a study of 780 people in South London, suggested the risk of psychosis was three times higher for users of the more potent ‘skunk’ cannabis than for non-users.

The study found the use of hash, the milder form of the drug, was not associated with increased risk of psychosis. Cannabis was reclassified as a Class B drug in January 2009. It has remained, for many years, the most widely used illegal drug in the UK.

But conveniently omit any comparison to the increased psychosis risk for other substances like alcohol, where heavy use is associated with an eightfold increase in episodes of psychosis

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

The deranged anti-union line the press is pushing isn't really lining up with the public attitude that I've seen. Reality seems like much more ambivalence - people think the strikers at least have a strong basis for complaint even if they don't follow that through into openly supporting strikes.
The anti-union sentiment very much feels like a London issue, as London and the commuter towns connected to it is pretty much the only region with a functioning public rail system.

Also funny how the press suddenly give a poo poo about the divine right to hop on a train when it's near them, but when local stations get shut down leaving villages and small towns with no access to the rail network, nobody gives a poo poo.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/Daily_Record/status/1539212769685274627?t=JBUF8zlzB73SpoWByzKdCw&s=19

1. Do it you cowards.

2. Carefully worded headline there - a retired and thoroughly insane general has said that IF the 3rd world war kicks off due to a niche port that was important when he was also important, Britain would be wiped off the map.

2. I cannot overstress this, loving do it I beg you.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
you ok?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
she's really shot up my 'oh, gently caress you' media rankings the last couple of days
https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1538809639420276736
https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1539199902806380545
https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1539522787194331136
https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1539547529569878019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Big "on one side we have a climatologist who heads the climatology institute and on the other we have Bob, who runs a youtube channel that says the moon is a hologram made by Jews, let's give them 3 minutes each" energy there.

I think Irish reunification would be a better way to stop the UK existing than nuclear war, but they'd both result in Ian Paisley's coffin reaching about the same temperature.