Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Really? Reviews were super positive and the gameplay vids I watched looked okay. The whole dioramas instead of graphics thing is really neat, too.

I don't think there is a single review that actually finished the game because it is split into two parts. If you trundle into the RPG thread you will find myself and 7th guests posts as well as a few other people who tried it and the reviews are the same. It takes 1/2 the game, quite nearly 25+ hours to unlock the full combat system and get to part 2. If you want full party control, well, thats even later. Seriously, you can finish all of FFXIII in the time it takes to get just full party control in this game and have time to finish off a nice 8 hour experience too.

Part 2 then immediately goes "get rekt" and for the next 25 hours you fight increasingly trollish bosses demanding mechanical and setup mastery who still have so much HP that you will be taking 10+ minutes to fight them only to find out they have a second mode that immediately stat checks you haha you must be this tall to ride now. Theres also basically no story in this part, its a series of open objectives with lies for the recommended level gates, which is extra fun because overleveling is a hypergrind due to how xp works in the game.

A lovely example of dickishness is the boss guarding access to part 2 is quite literally mechanically impossible to defeat unless you grind levels to unlock a skill the game did not tell you you would get.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

American McGay posted:

Fall Guys is kinda fun lol

I'm thoroughly enjoying being able to play it on my TV now. It's the perfect casual couch game :D

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
As someone that still has their childhood teddy bear, I find the premise of Stuffed awesome.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Call of Duty Infinite Warfare tonight. I don't know why it took me so long to get around to finally completing the single player campaign, but it was good.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I really don't get the hate for Far Cry 5, I played it though a few times and enjoyed the hell out of it.

I enjoyed Far Cry 5 until about halfway through, then I suddenly got absolutely tired of it. But it was fun while it lasted.

But I really hated it when the game decided to stop your fun to randomly kidnap you and force you to run through some gauntlet. That was some rotten game design, I think that's why I had to stop.

edit : should have read the other posts first, I'm repeating what was said already.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem with 5 is that its just 4 with a less interesting map, story, and the new mechanics were all bad and annoying. Also Ubi tipping their toes into 'what if every game we make is co-op by design?'

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Far Cry 5 is built for co-op but I'm pretty sure it's the dumb co-op where the second player's progress is not properly saved

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
4 is decent but i have no desire at all to ever play another one because I've seen it all. also it has a really stupid story, the only interesting character is the main bad guy so he mostly yells at you over the radio and isn't actually in much of the game, and by far the biggest crime is unskippable intros to every mission, even the side ones. i stopped playing when a few of the side mission intros literally took longer than the entire side mission, including travel time to wherever you had to go. lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

i stopped playing when a few of the side mission intros literally took longer than the entire side mission, including travel time to wherever you had to go. lol

I still don't know why unskippable intros/cut scenes are a thing. Like by know everyone must know that's just a super hated thing. I'm sure as hell when they're making and testing games they have ways of skipping them.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

But the creator's vision!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

5 was a gutless and empty experience while I played it, with humour that would be embarrassing even for a for a 12 year old, their apparent target audience. 4 was good for my first ps4-gen game! Far Cry 6 was an instant shun for me.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I had a dream about gamepass last night. It had a platformer called Qtop starting some small round guy. excited to go home to look at Gamepass on my Xbox

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dr_rat posted:

I still don't know why unskippable intros/cut scenes are a thing. Like by know everyone must know that's just a super hated thing. I'm sure as hell when they're making and testing games they have ways of skipping them.

i wouldn't even have minded if it they were good cutscenes lol. ive never once skipped a from soft cutscene, even on replays. the ones in dragons dogma are a little corny but that's the point of the story (the artificiality of it all, etc), so they're good. ive never skipped a codec call or cutscene or w.e. in metal gear. most rockstar games I watch them all the way through too. well really just max Payne and rdr2 and gta4 but whatever. ace combat has always had great ones too. There's so many good cutscenes out there i'd never want to skip anyway and it's always the really lovely ones that make me watch it all. gently caress you!!!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
The Far Cry series is desperate for an 'Assassins Creed Origins' moment where they scrap the existing formula and reinvent the series, I'm hoping that FC6's universally 'meh' reception greenlights something like that instead of cranking out yet another FC3 with slight tweaks.

I'm also hoping that this hypothetical scenario won't inevitably lead to an 'Assasins Creed Valhalla' moment for the FC series where it turns out they run the new format into the ground also.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

joylessdivision posted:

Serious question, why?

I ask this as someone who enjoyed the shooting and general open world poo poo in the game but absolutely hated the story and the game forcing me into main plot sections because I was having too much fun doing my own thing.

Once was more than enough.

I enjoyed the shooting and general gameplay, I liked the look of the map, Cheeseburger is my favourite, the story didn't bother me - the kidnap sections were frustrating but didn't really detract from the fun I had otherwise.

I really couldn't grow to like New Dawn though.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Space Racist posted:

The Far Cry series is desperate for an 'Assassins Creed Origins' moment where they scrap the existing formula and reinvent the series, I'm hoping that FC6's universally 'meh' reception greenlights something like that instead of cranking out yet another FC3 with slight tweaks.

I'm also hoping that this hypothetical scenario won't inevitably lead to an 'Assasins Creed Valhalla' moment for the FC series where it turns out they run the new format into the ground also.

The new format for AC was to make the games even more repetitive and boring though.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Yes, I tried AC : Origins because it's on game pass but I just can't get into it anymore. I used to enjoy AC and Far Cry, it feels like I've outgrown them now.

I should probably continue Cyberpunk one of these days.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

they had a bow that let you manually aim the arrows after you shot it so you could always hit someone in the nuts. the rest of the game sucks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Finished Call of Duty Infinite Warfare tonight. I don't know why it took me so long to get around to finally completing the single player campaign, but it was good.

It’s excellent. Advanced Warfare is a similar buzz if you haven’t played that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The new format for AC was to make the games even more repetitive and boring though.

The gameplay absolutely needed a reboot (Syndicate is in hindsight a very strong game, its just everyone was exhausted of the formula by the time it came out). Origins was fresh, Odyssey fun for Tutorial Island, Valhalla very much less so.

Ubisoft are currently silent on the next steps for all their top open-world lineups so hopefully they're reevaluating their plan to make everything bland and identical.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They took the most annoying aspect of those games (too much filler bullshit) and added RPG grind poo poo to it. Lol.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I like the low tech sci fi setting. The missions are a bit samey. The cod writing is pretty wretched too. Wish it could have just been it’s own game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1539336579151536131

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I’ve tried both Far Cry 5 and 6 for an hour or two during their free weekends. I’m amazed that Ubisoft managed to make me feel like i got ripped off despite not actually spending money.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

IW is win

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Good lord Tunic owns, what a great game

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I’ve tried both Far Cry 5 and 6 for an hour or two during their free weekends. I’m amazed that Ubisoft managed to make me feel like i got ripped off despite not actually spending money.

I’m always astounded at how close to being good they are. They have these really impressive open worlds and usually look good. The shooting isn’t bad and the driving is ok. The stories absolutely loving suck and there’s never any motivation to do anything in them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I find farcry driving to be impossible usually

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That’s why it’s fun. You just end up hitting a goat

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the funniest part about the kidnappings in FC5 is they don't just spring them on you, part of the HUD is a kidnapping meter that shows you how close you are to the next one

also lol that 6 turns into a live service living world game with rotating mini-stories after you beat the campaign but at that point everybody uninstalls anyway. haven't seen it discussed anywhere, the roguelite dlcs were also a wet fart

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I just want Just Cause 3 2, or maybe Just Cause 2 2. To heck with story, just let me blow up some bases at my leisure and maybe ride a motorcycle. Thanks.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Far Cry 5 is built for co-op but I'm pretty sure it's the dumb co-op where the second player's progress is not properly saved

I've been looking into it as my co-op buddy and I are thinking of playing it after we're done with Sniper Elite 5.

From what I've read it seems like story progression is only saved for the host, which sucks. Character progression and open world stuff (such as clearing outposts) is saved for the joining player though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Far Cry 4 is the best because just by doing nothing in the first location you can complete the game without firing a shot and then get on with your life.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

they probably made the timer 15 minutes because it takes 7 for all the premium content notifications to clear in there

and the best ending is quickly switching to and firing the rocket launcher as pagan's helicopter leaves

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
FC4 is the best one, IMO. I loved FC3, and FC4 added just enough. All the changes in elevation and such made it a lot of fun to get around.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

why the gently caress would anyone design a game like this, especially an ostensibly open world one

i 100% get the instinct to remove a playing from Far Cry gameplay. The kidnapping ruse is as good as any. Personally I'd just have the software send a signal to turn off the hardware. The confusing thing about the kidnappings are that they inevitably lead you back to playing far cry.

priznat posted:

Far Cry 4 is the best because just by doing nothing in the first location you can complete the game without firing a shot and then get on with your life.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This is interesting, albeit with one caveat I noticed from playing games on Stadia and GeForce Now: mouse lag is a LOT more noticeable than the equivalent inputs on gamepad sticks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

priznat posted:

5 has a similar option for Josephine.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

priznat posted:

Yeah something like that is an easter egg in 5 and I think 6 as well, I think it's a running gag of theirs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Of course UBisoft couldn't help running it into the ground, laff.