Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah but she blew peoples heads up and it rocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That really is just literally the reaction to MoM, lol.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Oh my God, Strange 2’s abbreviation is MoM because Wanda.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Is Blade going to be in Eternals 2?

When is Eternals 2 coming out?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It is best to not care too much about continuity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All I care about is Sam Raimi

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like people complain about how the MCU becomes impenetrable and yet also tediously rote, with anything resembling style and interesting themes sanded down into machine output, but that seems to be what the most vocal fans actively want.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrPaper posted:

When is Eternals 2 coming out?

Ideally never.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
If Thanos had just read some comic books, maybe he would have looked for the terribly named “mother boxes” instead. Clearly he didn’t do his due diligence.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

gregday posted:

Oh my God, Strange 2’s abbreviation is MoM because Wanda.

It was also released right before mother's day.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

CelticPredator posted:

All I care about is Sam Raimi

Imagine if Raimi did a Blade movie

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Immortal Hulk needs him

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Upsidads posted:

Immortal Hulk needs him

I love Immortal Hulk (so far, only like 7 tpbs in) but I don't know if its filmable, and definitely don't think its filmable by Disney.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Needs a slow burn series

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That really is just literally the reaction to MoM, lol.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like people complain about how the MCU becomes impenetrable and yet also tediously rote, with anything resembling style and interesting themes sanded down into machine output, but that seems to be what the most vocal fans actively want.

I remain unconvinced you have ever encountered a typical MCU fan.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's hard to categorize "Marvel Fans" as anything because they are a group of literally millions of people, all of which have various reasons for liking the movies.

I'm sure a dedicated anthropologist could group them into specific demographics but what would be the point?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Marvel fans are defined as people who see an announcement of an Easter egg in an upcoming film that will hint that [actor] will play "Angar The Screamer" in a Disney+ series. They then google "Angar The Screamer", & read his 'character bio', & say they're extremely hyped to finally see the classic character Angar The Screamer in live action.

(Angar The Screamer is a hippie who screams at people.)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I thought Angar was a Blorko thing but no, Angar the Screamer is a real comic book character and is just a less extreme Black Bolt or something.

Blorko would kick his rear end though

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SuddenCactus posted:

Throw a bit of optimism in there (especially since Raimi seemed to be pretty happy with his Dr. Strange filming experience:

Imagine when Raimi does the Blade movies.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

2house2fly posted:

Oh yeah, I'd actually forgotten about the Endgame "nature is healing" stuff. Thanos was right, but it's depressing that he's right!

That poo poo was dumb. He cut the already dwindling whale population in half and whales are incredibly slow breeders. In five years they wouldn't have even been able to achieve immediate pre-snap numbers even if half of everything coincidentally included all the fishing/whaling industry and none of the krill.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

theironjef posted:

That poo poo was dumb. He cut the already dwindling whale population in half and whales are incredibly slow breeders. In five years they wouldn't have even been able to achieve immediate pre-snap numbers even if half of everything coincidentally included all the fishing/whaling industry and none of the krill.

Sure it's dumb. It's supposed to be dumb. Steve sees Nat driving herself to death trying to be "The Avenger" so he'd like to find something to help her get to a place where she can ease up on herself a little instead of trying to problem-solve earthquakes under the ocean. He's not saying "Thanos was right." He's saying "Maybe it'll be okay eventually after all. Maybe we need to accept this and try to move on, as drat near impossible as that seems to be."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Marvel fans are defined as people who see an announcement of an Easter egg in an upcoming film that will hint that [actor] will play "Angar The Screamer" in a Disney+ series. They then google "Angar The Screamer", & read his 'character bio', & say they're extremely hyped to finally see the classic character Angar The Screamer in live action.

I would love to see Angar The Screamer in a comic book movie, it would absolutely get me to see a new comic book movie

Also Prez!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

SuddenCactus posted:

Give artists creative autonomy, not the constraints of franchises and continuities, imo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Maybe the Sandman show will eventually get to the Prez issue.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I'm pretty sure the majority of MCU fans are people who see a new trailer and go "that looks like it'll be a fun movie I can watch with friends as an excuse to go out" and enjoys the fact that each movie generally acknowledges previous stuff in small ways and includes obvious foreshadowing of future stuff while being dumb fun. I don't imagine the majority of people who see MCU films particularly care about the comics or Easter egg videos on YouTube; never mind have enough investment to lie to themselves or others about their knowledge of them in some way. It's more likely the majority Google "who was X in the post credits scene of Y" once, click one result on the first page, skim the resulting article and go "sounds good/bad" and stop thinking about it there.

Everyone posted:

Sure it's dumb. It's supposed to be dumb. Steve sees Nat driving herself to death trying to be "The Avenger" so he'd like to find something to help her get to a place where she can ease up on herself a little instead of trying to problem-solve earthquakes under the ocean. He's not saying "Thanos was right." He's saying "Maybe it'll be okay eventually after all. Maybe we need to accept this and try to move on, as drat near impossible as that seems to be."

I enjoyed Endgame for the most part, and don't really have a problem with Thanos having kind of a dumb plan, since (a) comic books and (b) him being deluded about his plan because of his ego and past is part of the whole thing but I found it much more annoying that Steve's "things move on" is almost immediately undercut by "wait...let's just use comic book magitech to undo our mistakes and make everything just like we want it to be". It's a terrible theme that shits on some stuff in the MCU, including stuff in Endgame itself.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 22, 2022

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Angar the Screamer already appeared in the first season of Agents of SHIELD. I’m surprised more people don’t remember how it touched off 2014’s “Summer of Angar the Screamer.”

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ynohtna posted:

Give artists creative autonomy, not the constraints of franchises and continuities, imo.

Cronenberg Blade

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I thought angar was a joke name you made up but no, he's actually a real character.

Everyone posted:

Reinforcing the idea that genocide has good consequences is really loving dumb, on that we can agree.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gatts posted:

Cronenberg Blade
Directing, or starring?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Gatts posted:

Cronenberg Blade

No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that once we've destroyed all intellectual property rights, all movies can be Blade.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Chairman Capone posted:

Maybe the Sandman show will eventually get to the Prez issue.
As interesting as using Prez! as a Jesus analogy is, I just think it would be cool to see Prez! and his hippie friends hang out and do stuff

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Prez, but he now goes around campaigning for Joe Biden and says it's ageist to suggest that our wise elders can't represent the youth.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

I enjoyed Endgame for the most part, and don't really have a problem with Thanos having kind of a dumb plan, since (a) comic books and (b) him being deluded about his plan because of his ego and past is part of the whole thing but I found it much more annoying that Steve's "things move on" is almost immediately undercut by "wait...let's just use comic book magitech to undo our mistakes and make everything just like we want it to be". It's a terrible theme that shits on some stuff in the MCU, including stuff in Endgame itself.

Steve doesn't really mean it. Nat tells him to STFU and he apologizes. He then immediately says that they don't move on.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

Steve doesn't really mean it. Nat tells him to STFU and he apologizes. He then immediately says that they don't move on.

They should though; accepting the past, learning from it, maybe even avenge it and then moving on is a lot more applicable as a theme than "nah, gently caress it; let's just use magic to undo it". Which is why a lot of stories, including ones in the MCU have used similar themes. Acceptance of past mistakes and using them as a basis to move forward often forms the basis of a hero's origin. It's also generally more interesting as a story. Of course, that requires not hinging your film duology on killing off huge numbers of characters you want to use again in future.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

Directing, or starring?

He could play whistler

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

tsob posted:

Honestly, the fact the directors meant all life is dumb. He should of said half of all sentient or semi-sentient life or something.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

They should though; accepting the past, learning from it, maybe even avenge it and then moving on is a lot more applicable as a theme than "nah, gently caress it; let's just use magic to undo it". Which is why a lot of stories, including ones in the MCU have used similar themes. Acceptance of past mistakes and using them as a basis to move forward often forms the basis of a hero's origin. It's also generally more interesting as a story. Of course, that requires not hinging your film duology on killing off huge numbers of characters you want to use again in future.

I don't think Endgame can be blamed for choosing spectacle over applicable themes in the finale of a 20 film "saga."

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Christopher Guest up for Midnight Sons?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

live with fruit posted:

I don't think Endgame can be blamed for choosing spectacle over applicable themes in the finale of a 20 film "saga."

Sure it can. Look at me…I’m blaming it. Right now. Blame and shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

tsob posted:

Acceptance of past mistakes and using them as a basis to move forward often forms the basis of a hero's origin.

The mistake of being a victim of a genocidal maniac.