Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jack B Nimble posted:

1 superior with a chain sword and a bolt gun (is this legal, both are on the data card but do I need to proxy it as a bolt pistol)?

Based on the numbers, I favor the power sword over the chain sword. You should probably also go with either a combi-melta or -plasma instead of the plain bolt weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is Kill Team WYSIWYG? Because the model has a bolter and chains word, but maybe that's not a big deal these days? I mean I know everything is fine between friends but I was going to "run what I brung"

All things being equal yeah I'd love a power sword and plasma pistol, especially in a game where not bringing the best poo poo is just leaving money on the table.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's supposed to be wysiwyg, yes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
But no one really gives a gently caress as long as the models are approx the right size and you differentiate them.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain
Technicially it is wysiwyg, but really only tournaments are going to care. I try to build my units to wysiwyg but sometimes the rule of cool applies. I'd say as long as it's not a tournament just talk with your opponent about what you want to run vs what you actually have.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So the latest White Dwarf has a new variant Badzone Enforcers gang for Necromunda that AFAICT was completely unannounced. What do people think of it? It looks like it'd be fun for conversions and they can hold territory like a normal gang, among other things.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I play with a bunch of indecisive people so a lot of games there's "for this game that person carrying a melta actually has a flamer". Which I'm fine with.

It gets tiring to play and I'll just not play if it's a situation like if they have 10 sisters all painted the same with just bolters saying "this one is actually a heavy bolter, this one's actually a flamer, etc..."

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain
Oof I can't say I've ever run into that, and yeah that would be awful. There needs to be at least some visual distinctiveness so that disparate units are easily parsed by everyone without a spreadsheet. Like yeah sometimes I or a buddy will be like "This flamer is going to act as a meltagun for this match" but I'd probably walk away if it's all basic vet guards and they're trying to use small details like "The one with a grenade on it's hip is the meltagun and :words: "

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Refind Chaos posted:

Oof I can't say I've ever run into that, and yeah that would be awful. There needs to be at least some visual distinctiveness so that disparate units are easily parsed by everyone without a spreadsheet. Like yeah sometimes I or a buddy will be like "This flamer is going to act as a meltagun for this match" but I'd probably walk away if it's all basic vet guards and they're trying to use small details like "The one with a grenade on it's hip is the meltagun and :words: "

I recall someone using coloured hair ties to mark stuff like this (or wounds) so their army was draped in fuzzy pink sashes like a beauty competition.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, we tend to play NM pretty loose in that we don't necessarily go WYSIWYG, but we do try to keep specific weapon profiles in the same neighborhood - if a model is carrying a long gun, they have to have a long gun in the game; pistols are pistols of some flavor; and you can fudge a special weapon for another type (melta = flamer, bolter = plasma, etc.)

Our reasoning is that a lot of us still play with the old metal models, and, even when they were readily available, it was ridiculous to expect anybody to hack them up for game purposes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In WHFB we used to use post-it notes to denote when something drifted significantly from WYSIWYG. They make tiny ones that would be perfect to tuck under a NM base. Just use the note upside down so the adhesive sticks to the underside of the model.

Loxbourne posted:

Speaking of old BFG stuff, I recently picked up a bunch of old plastic Imperial cruisers on eBay. A lot of them have their ramming spikes broken off. Any idea where I could get replacements?

BFG has a massive 3d printing community, someone deeper in that could probably point you in a correct direction.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, proxying within the same type is the kind of stuff I'd expect in a friendly game and I wouldn't think much of running that superior as power sword and combi bolter.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, proxying within the same type is the kind of stuff I'd expect in a friendly game and I wouldn't think much of running that superior as power sword and combi bolter.

That said, teenage lilljonas DEFINITELY ran units of goblins that were supposed to be skaven, dreadnoughts that subbed as Hive Tyrants etc. Hey, it's a game, not science.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I *wish* teenager JackBNimble had been more willing, and I guess in a social scene that was more willing, to proxy poo poo, because looking back I had a stupid level of anxiety over "how I scrape together 2500 points while not having a job". I suppose it was just the one expensive hobby I had in a time of general financial limitations, but in retrospect it weighed on me a lot more than it needed to.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I just finished magnetizing the escher gang boxes (main and death maiden/wyldrunners), and now have the weapons on order to also magnetize.

I try to play as wysiwyg as I can, but I also want options!

I basically want an excuse to build terrain, so I'm working on my first legit Necromunda gang. I played back in the 00's with a box of Cadians and a box of Catachans, everything proxied, for many years. Now that all of these gangs are available, I kinda feel like I have to get at least one.

Been working on ooze before this magnetizing bit, hope to work this kind of thing into their bases when/if I get them painted.

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1539332275027984384

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ravendas posted:

I just finished magnetizing the escher gang boxes (main and death maiden/wyldrunners), and now have the weapons on order to also magnetize.

I try to play as wysiwyg as I can, but I also want options!

I just started building/painting some Eschers and while I would love to magnetize for WYSIWYG, holy hell that sounds like a nightmare.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

In Kill Team, can you take the same action more than once in a turn, so like 2 Shoot actions? I can't find anything that says you can't, but I'm trying to find the value in the Shuriken Storm unique ability. (2AP, make 2 shooting attacks with the Twin Avenger Shuriken Catapult and but ignore the weapon's Relentless special rule). Wouldn't just taking 2 Shoot actions be objectively better?

EDIT: WOOPS that rule is right there. Kinda wish they'd have bolded that one, but no, you cannot do the same action twice; leaving that there in case anyone else is also glazing over that part.

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 21, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You CAN make the "same action" OUTSIDE of your turn.

Like, if a strategic ploy let's a unit make a shot, that isn't going to prevent the unit from shooting during it's activation.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

my extra print on demand mordheim supplements finally arrived, but then i spent all my time setting up the table and didn't get to actually play. still need to paint up my sisters & witch hunter warbands but was planning to do a mercenary v undead game. still had fun, and we'll get to run a game tomorrow

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Gods that's a gorgeous setup.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Wow yeah, that's a fantastic table! Must've taken a lot of time and effort there

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
God drat

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That is really impressive. Any chance of more detail on how you assembled and painted it?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

thx! some day i'll actually build my dedicated mordheim board that i've planned to knockoff from lybbans miniatures. i need to set up my 3d printers again to do it and i'm pretty much out of space to store stuff like that. i have a pretty full collection of buildings and battlemats that works for me for basically whatever i need but i'm getting more into city crawling type dungeon crawl games and i've been wanting a fully textured ruined city with canals and multiple levels.

i have a bunch of 3d printed buildings i've actually painted up, but the setup in the pictures is mostly pre-painted resin stuff from either miniature building authority or urbanmatz so i can't take much credit for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yo6tlXbo8k&t=1158s

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

That is really impressive. Any chance of more detail on how you assembled and painted it?

sure! this table is a combination of a few years worth of stuff, but the majority of it is not made by me.

the lake is a painted and sealed piece of posterboard that i bought from yansolo on ebay. he does a bunch of dwarven forge compatible mods and it's super cool stuff that he will take forever to ship you. it just showed up the other day along with the wood docks (laser cut mdf & dowels, i need to hit them with a drybrush but i wanted to set up a table). the boat, stone docks, barrels & trees are 3d printed and painted by me, and most of the scatter is scotia grendel resin that i painted up.

the big walkways i made out of coffee stirrer sticks and a coat of contrast paint in about 10 minutes before a game. they're terrible and i need to make a different set of them.

i've been getting more into the resin terrain side of things because there's a better heft/feel to cast resin than the 3d printed pla buildings. so the walls are all from urbanmatz and the straightforward little ruined buildings & cathedral are from there as well. miniature building authority also sells pre-painted buildings that i really like. i've found that it's been worth it to spend the money over time on pre-painted stuff because i can immediately get use out of it and if the mood hits me i can step up the detail with some extra weathering and adding moss/flock/etc details (the most fun part of the crafting), and they don't just sit half-started on a shelf for a year. it's an expensive way to do things but i've been at it for years so i have a sizeable collection at this point.

i used to make use foam boards with flock and texture glued down and all that but i've replaced about all of it with neoprene battlemats because i can actually roll them up and store them. the board game table i built isn't designed for wargaming tho so i only use 3x3 or 4x3 (the best size but impossible to find in the US) battlemats.

when i first started getting into d&d i made all my own terrain but i just don't have time these days to really accomplish projects at the scale i want to play with. i did the full hirst arts gloomhaven walls & floor set when i was working through that game, and it's pretty awesome, but it was a LOT of work. i really prefer painting miniatures so i tend to prioritize my hobby time on that now.

i got really into warhammer quest 1995 last year and i was accumulating a vintage gw bestiary for it. that has morphed into a mordheim fixation so i'm putting together a bunch of warbands now. i'm still figuring out how to run a WHQ adventure campaign with the loot/etc while using a mordheim ruleset to make combat more interesting, but the mordheim sessions have been super fun on their own.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Any recommended retailers of somewhat cheaper Necromunda style figures? Might be able to rope some TTRPG friends into playing and I'd like to pitch it with a balance between price and good looking/exciting miniatures (wrote it like that because of course you can paper craft some card stock figs or buy a bulk pack of not so great mono cast figures from Amazon.

So what's on offer for, say, $30 bucks a gang?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

Any recommended retailers of somewhat cheaper Necromunda style figures? Might be able to rope some TTRPG friends into playing and I'd like to pitch it with a balance between price and good looking/exciting miniatures (wrote it like that because of course you can paper craft some card stock figs or buy a bulk pack of not so great mono cast figures from Amazon.

So what's on offer for, say, $30 bucks a gang?

30$ is already what you pay for a gang (I mean single box) so I assume you are talking like double the box? Is 3d printing an option?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sorry, I just sort of assumed one box would be about what a 40k box costs, so more like the better part of $50. But presumably you need more than one $30 box to really fill out a mature gang?

Specific price point aside, am I right to assume there are companies that offer alternatives for a bit less? Regarding 3D printing, do you mean doing it or buying some that are already printed? No on the former, but I think the later is fine as long as we aren't cutting and sanding models or something, right?

I just know I have a set of friends that would get a kick out of playing and collecting and painting, but are never going to be willing to drop $50, let alone $100, on models.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I mean if you want to fully expand your gang there are various separate boxes for necromunda - for example cops have boxes of both enforcers and subjugators. Imho the best way would be probably going on etsy and looking there for knockoffs since from what i've seen most games from other companies do not have much overlap with munda and stuff like malifaux isn't really cheaper model wise.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Jack B Nimble posted:

Sorry, I just sort of assumed one box would be about what a 40k box costs, so more like the better part of $50. But presumably you need more than one $30 box to really fill out a mature gang?

Specific price point aside, am I right to assume there are companies that offer alternatives for a bit less? Regarding 3D printing, do you mean doing it or buying some that are already printed? No on the former, but I think the later is fine as long as we aren't cutting and sanding models or something, right?

I just know I have a set of friends that would get a kick out of playing and collecting and painting, but are never going to be willing to drop $50, let alone $100, on models.

You might get some good mileage out of the Stargrave crew sets, I think those are considerably cheaper.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Necromunda is basically:

Gang main box: $40 (This is the 10 basic options. 2 leader minis, 2 champions, 4 gangers, 2 juves? Or something?)
Gang 'cool extras' box: $40 (Optional, but very nice to have) (like 8-10 more minis for the expanded options for the gang)
Gang Extra Arm Options: $20-27 (Very optional) (Extra weapon choices, not needed if you aren't strict with wysiwyg)
Gang Rulebook: $42-50 (Required one per gang type)
Necromunda Rulebook: $50 (Someone needs to own this to learn/teach)

Then there's the tactics cards, which can be proxied by the tables in the back of the gang books. There's also a free pdf you need that has the market stuff for campaign item buying. It was in another book, but they phased it out, leaving the required market rules homeless essentially.

There's also 'neutral' characters that anyone can hire, like the Ambot which is 2 for $40, or Ogryns that are the same I think. Those are very optional as well.

This is also assuming you have terrain, none of the above includes terrain.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 22, 2022

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

If you want to do Necromunda on the cheap, you can always go the LRB (Living Rulebook) or ORB (Online Rulebook) versions. The pdf's are available on some fan sites. I played LRB rules from like '08-'11 or so. It's a single pdf with all of the rules for the game and all of the gangs.

The gangs are a lot more similar in there, the only differences really being their starting equipment and which skills they have access to.

From there, just get the models for $40 per gang and you're good to go.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Someone else has taken over doing the lord's work and the fan compilation is no longer full of homebrew and house rules.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

moths posted:

Someone else has taken over doing the lord's work and the fan compilation is no longer full of homebrew and house rules.

Is it? Where can I find it?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The one I have is titled Necrodamus. It's kinda grey area WRT :filez: so I don't want to link it, but that's hopefully enough to get you there.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding Necromunda, what I'm immediately struck by now that I'm possibly going to be playing a campaign of it, is that I really don't want to go back to the "one wound for most models" paradigm after tasting the "HP" system of Kill Team.

But it's always hard to know just how much subtle balancing is going on between KT and Necromunda: for example, how many rounds, and attacks, is a model going to be subjected to in one vs another? That's something that isn't discernable in a bare assessment of the mechanics of shooting and killing, but it has a huge impact on actual lethality.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Regarding Necromunda, what I'm immediately struck by now that I'm possibly going to be playing a campaign of it, is that I really don't want to go back to the "one wound for most models" paradigm after tasting the "HP" system of Kill Team.

But it's always hard to know just how much subtle balancing is going on between KT and Necromunda: for example, how many rounds, and attacks, is a model going to be subjected to in one vs another? That's something that isn't discernable in a bare assessment of the mechanics of shooting and killing, but it has a huge impact on actual lethality.

There is no subtle balancing in GW games.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I play a lot of both, and feel that the complicated series of hoops required to put a model down works for Necromunda in a way that it never did for the last edition of Kill Team. The Necromunda ruleset isn't a game so much as a 900 page long misfortune simulator.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmmm, that's something to think on, and it would be nice to not have to fuss with my own home brew and just use the RAW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, NM is in no way balanced, and, quite frankly, pretty slapdash in general. I like it, but good lord, it's really poorly written and executed, and the rule book situation is a goddamn mess.

In regards to hit points, that's what the flesh wound system is for. Unless you have a heavy weapon involved, your fighter is probably not going out of action with one hit.