Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

visual representation of this thread and reading daddy daze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
We will never miss that sweet baby voice.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Alhazred posted:

He has gotten some mild ribbing from other Norwegian comic artists about the art. He has also said he's completely self thaught and that he knows that he can't drawn things like hands properly.

As for the grotesque art. When he began the strip it was simply not done in Norwegian comic strips to make people look ugly, especially not women. So it kinda became part of the popularity of the strip.

I'd say the Pondus style is decent, especially for self-taught. It shows best in the hospital staff strip from the other day.

quote:

Pondus

Wide variety of people, consistent style, amusingly cartoony yet recognizably human. The hands aren't great but they fit the style and get the job done. If nothing else I wouldn't accuse Pondus of drawing at a Mark Trail level where the most charitable interpretation is "maybe the deadlines are really mean" and the most accurate reading is "lol, lmao."

However Pondus does punch down a lot and is generally ugly and gross and a bit unpleasant. Sometimes it is lighthearted and funny while handling potentially sensitive matters(I loved the one where the gay couple are yelling about whether or not the vacuum cleaner is working and Pondus overhears and sees a sucking joke) but the team switching joke was quite poorly done.

I'd put Pondus in the same category as the Herman Hedwig(I think, the gross little caveman) comic posted awhile ago. Technically competent cartooning, usually a bit too mean and ugly to not be genuinely unpleasant. Herman would be a 3/5 I personally dislike at times where the worst strips are 1/5 material, Pondus a 2/5 I personally dislike a bit more often, though capable of getting a hit in now and then.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Autumn Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

I hope you enjoy Claire’s Polish “Blue Velvet” poster. About £300 for an original last time I looked.

Note that the book in the last panel is Breasts and Eggs by Mieko Kawakami.

Vargo posted:

Hey uhhhh remember when I said the editorial reading of Dustin was completely different than what we thought it read as?

Yeah, in hindsight my comment wasn't well thought-out. As Murdstone mentioned I probably read to much into the comic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Drimble Wedge posted:

:negative: They are actually ON HORSES with REINS in their hands. If there was ever a time for the correct phrase REIN IN, this is absolutely it.

Oops.

I'm sorry

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doomykins posted:

the Herman Hedwig(I think, the gross little caveman) comic posted awhile ago.
Herman Hedning (Herman Heathen, if you want it translated into english). :eng101:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 12, 1934)

Peanuts (June 25, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 21, 1939)

Out Our Way (February 23-25, 1939)

The lighter side of conservatorship!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Odds, Ends, Etc.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

This girl can't get enough of the weird relationship contracts. If she knew what a kink scene was she'd be so disapproving yet aroused.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Lønsj Lunch

Since it hasn't been shown in this incarnation of the thread yet:
Lunch is norwegian Dilbert, pretty popular nowadays. If you've ever been to a norwegian office you've probably seen random printouts of it hanging around.

I'll try to get into the swing of translating and posting stuff a bit more often again, still got a couple more volumes of Moomin I need to scan.

As always, please give me a heads-up if something doesn't scan, dialogue in Lunch is pretty conversational and I can't figure out how to get it to flow as casually as it does in norwegian.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater & Sohn: The dark side of fame

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Top Traitor

Next time: The Vikings

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "292 - Jucika And The Trendy Store Window"

A footman spurned is relief well earned.

"293 - Jucika At The Theater"

"büfé = buffet"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

To me, this would be greatly improved by switching the order of the word bubbles in panel three.

Mary Worth

You can't fool me that's Libby.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

You can't fool me that's Libby.

wouldn't be the first cat to run the multiple families scam, won't be the last cat to run the multiple families scam

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I wish I had a grandpa like that.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Tail Spin edition)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Samovar posted:

Oops.

I'm sorry

Please don't be; I'm a rude grouchy rear end in a top hat and I owe you an apology for being so snarky. :(

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze
Ohhh, as a parent this one hits home - well past baby-age.

quote:

Macanudo

Always has been.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't dislike Haraiso Days, but it feels like it only has the one trick.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, the regulars in the previous strip really delivered on a lot of different story ideas and executions. Though Haraiso has had a few stories that were different like the memory cigarettes and the pickpocket new years story we just had, though that one did follow the story beats reliably.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
"Follow the story beats reliably" is sort of Maruoka Kuzo's superpower, though.

I dunno, we are only 7 chapters in as opposed to the 50-odd we ended up getting from Sakaba. Every chapter so far has introduced characters - it's just that the chapters being 16 pages instead of 4 means things take (or are allowed) a bit more time to wind up. (Which might just mean we're bumping up against the limits of the formula Maruoka has created for himself, I admit.)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Harasio Days is like what if we took the old boss and tried way too hard to make her cool, and took the old employee and made her way less cool.

It's fine, but it's really suffering in comparison I think

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is Dustin meant to be a millennial? He's 23 right? Wouldn’t that make him a zoomer by now?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Everyone under the age of 50 is a millennial until the boomers die off, then everyone over the age of 30 is a boomer.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Boomer is a state of mind.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
I like "Haraiso Days," I think it's a slower burn than "Sakaba," is all. "Sakaba" jammed a lot into a little, it went fast

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't think it's the pace, I'm just far, far less interested in the characters.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (April 20-22, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (July 7-9, 1919; timg'd out of an abundance of caution)

Dok's Dippy Day on the Rockpile (March 21, 1914)

Little Lefty gets it out in the open. (November 23-25, 1936)

Blondie From Zero (May 12-14, 1932)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 23, 2022

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True June 21, 1919

And He Did! July 4, 1919

Cat Tales June 5, 1925

Oaky Doaks November 30, 1936

Mopsy February 8, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out June 13, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems August 20, 1952

Those Were the Days May 11, 1961

Wee Pals August 23, 1966

Dogbert June 12, 1967

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

When I first saw Haraiso I made a comment about how when a show brings on the "rival school" (or bar or whatever) and they happen to have copies of the characters but like, two degrees elsewhere and I still feel that. And yeah I agree the bar owner & her assistant aren't as fun as the previous one and her assistant, and that the longer stories aren't necessarily discernibly better for their length.

I still enjoy it (the page yesterday with the war lady described the women who didnt make it was really nice & I will probably still pop off next comic when war lady goes sicko mode tomorrow) and thankful it's being translated, however. Thank you for bringing these comics to us.

Incidentally I like how q-rais can't do a comic for too long without adding more weirdness. Very charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey