Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Looks better than I could have expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So now its a comedy? :3:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Yeah this is good now Im 100% on board

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vintersorg posted:

I mean I expect it to have some darkly comedic elements, but it still looks like an action/adventure

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Get to look forward to this now too. Could be fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAI1_0xnmL0

i hate his movies but maybe he's better at comedy

but sheri moon zombie only knows how to do one character and i really don't think it's a good fit for Lily, but we'll see

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

its called “NOPE”

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm not gonna even watch that trailer cause i know it's gonna be good and i'd rather be surprised by something for once

oh poo poo, i keep forgetting to see Crimes of the Future. i even have a ticket already lmao

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm catching it tonight, I'm pumped. Also think my expectations are in the right place thanks to goon reviews.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I'm digging the idea of Michael Wincott playing Michael Khan, the last physical film editor on the planet

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

meh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYI77-pqrE

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

feedmyleg posted:

I'm catching it tonight, I'm pumped. Also think my expectations are in the right place thanks to goon reviews.

It felt like Cronenberg's Greatest Hits to me. Ended a little too abruptly though. We never get to see the beauty pageant :(

The revival a few years back was pretty solid and Mike Judge still has talent left in him so I would watch (although would I subscribe to Paramount for it? Meh)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

feedmyleg posted:

it's good op

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

i saw it, it owns. Viggo has big weird sexy peter weller energy. it's not as funny as i was hoping but it's really good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yup, Crimes of the Future was real real good.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’d rather have a King of the Hill movie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

whydirt posted:

I’d rather have a King of the Hill movie

no thank you. you just know it would be politically stupid.

"well i tell you hwhat, looks to me like both sides are morons. maybe boys shouldn't go in the girls room, i tel you hwhat."

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
No way that’s Hank. Not one mention of propane and propane accessories.

I love King of the Hill, but not sure about a long movie of it. I think they only had handful of multi part episodes?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

So, do you think that Rob Zombie's Munsters movie will look good in black and white?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrQFHV6yTZ8

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PeterCat posted:

So, do you think that Rob Zombie's Munsters movie will look good in black and white?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrQFHV6yTZ8

rob zombie has given the world no indication that he can write comedy, except the unintentional kind, so we'll really just have to see

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

thrawn527 posted:

Because most of these YouTubers want to be actual content creators. Take Patrick in this example. He starting making pretty good videos about movies, but he really wants to be a director, so he’s trying to make the shift. He’s turned this Charl thing into a full blown movie only available on some pay streaming service, and it’s like, dude, that is not why most people are tuning into you. I’m sure you have a small vocal fan base telling you you’re doing a great job, but it’s just terrible stuff.

It’s similar to Lindsey Ellis writing books now. They’re hoping their YouTube fame will be their foot in the door to larger fame. But you have to actually be good at the other thing, which tends to be a stumbling point for many.

I have a subscription to Nebula and tried to watch the Charl movie. I found it pretty unwatchable. I got about thirty minutes in with generous amounts of fast forwarding before giving up. I'm not sure what they were going for. I think it's supposed to be funny, but I kept thinking to myself, "Do they actually think this is funny? Did they actually laugh when they wrote, filmed and/or edited this?" Then I started to think they were going for some kind of anti-humor. I finally gave up when I decided that whatever their intent was, the end result, for me at least, was something just pointless and boring.

The weird thing is that it's competently executed. It looks good, it's well edited, the acting is uneven, but fine for a low budget production. That's what really confuses me. Given the level of competence in the execution, I'm assuming that they made the movie that they wanted to make. Humor is subjective, obviously, but I don't know what mindset you have to come from to watch it and think, "Man, this is hilarious. They really nailed it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxjWEgOCMzA

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

confused posted:

I have a subscription to Nebula and tried to watch the Charl movie. I found it pretty unwatchable. I got about thirty minutes in with generous amounts of fast forwarding before giving up. I'm not sure what they were going for. I think it's supposed to be funny, but I kept thinking to myself, "Do they actually think this is funny? Did they actually laugh when they wrote, filmed and/or edited this?" Then I started to think they were going for some kind of anti-humor. I finally gave up when I decided that whatever their intent was, the end result, for me at least, was something just pointless and boring.

The weird thing is that it's competently executed. It looks good, it's well edited, the acting is uneven, but fine for a low budget production. That's what really confuses me. Given the level of competence in the execution, I'm assuming that they made the movie that they wanted to make. Humor is subjective, obviously, but I don't know what mindset you have to come from to watch it and think, "Man, this is hilarious. They really nailed it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxjWEgOCMzA

I think part of the problem is that he’s so far up in his own rear end with the inside joke, he can’t see that no one outside his circle doesn’t get it. Like, Clerks was absolutely an amateur movie made by an amateur filmmaker, who didn’t know how to move the camera and barely knew how to edit. But it was about something relatable that everyone experiences (I hate my job), so the buy in was easy, and you forgave all the other poo poo. This coconut thing is just so obtuse that, unless you’re a regular watcher of his essays, you’re not gonna know what the gently caress he’s even doing, so most people won’t care if it’s well made. And I even am a semi-regular watcher, but I’ve been skipping the Charl stuff for a while, once I filed it under, “You don’t understand why people watch you.”

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 19, 2022

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

thrawn527 posted:

I think part of the problem is that he’s so far up in his own rear end with the inside joke, he can’t see that no one outside his circle doesn’t get it. Like, Clerks was absolutely an amateur movie made by an amateur filmmaker, who didn’t know how to move the camera and barely knew how to edit. But it was about something relatable that everyone experiences (I hate my job), so the buy in was easy, and your forgave all the other poo poo. This coconut thing is just so obtuse that, unless you’re a regular watcher of his essays, you’re not gonna know what the gently caress he’s even doing, so most people won’t care if it’s well made. And I even am a semi-regular watcher, but I’ve been skipping the Charl stuff for a while, once I filed it under, “You don’t understand why people watch you.”

Totally agree. In general, I enjoy his videos. I, like you, mostly just skipped the Charl stuff. Maybe some of them made me chuckle here and there, but that's about it. I think another good comparison is RedLetterMedia's Space Cop movie. At this point, I don't remember if I've actually watched the movie or just seen enough random clips from it to feel like I have. Even if it was a miss for me, I totally understand what they were going for and am sure, knowing their sense of humor, that it made them laugh. Whereas with this, I just can't understand what the humor is supposed to be besides maybe "LOL random." If the goal was anti-humor, then it was a miss in that regard as well. I find some anti-humor funny, but you have to be a comic genius, like Norm Macdonald, to be able to pull it off.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

thrawn527 posted:

It’s similar to Lindsey Ellis writing books now. They’re hoping their YouTube fame will be their foot in the door to larger fame. But you have to actually be good at the other thing, which tends to be a stumbling point for many.

Lindsey's book is really good so I mean if YouTube content creators want to follow their dreams good for them.

Patrick's movie is probably more about creating a movie than creating a good story movie.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcDK7lkzzsU

nah

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerkface posted:

Lindsey's book is really good so I mean if YouTube content creators want to follow their dreams good for them.

I enjoyed her book mostly, especially her characters, but it had some pacing issues, to the point where I thought the third act fell apart completely. But I've heard the sequel fixed this somewhat, so I'll have to give it a shot.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

That looks like a really dumb parody of It Follows or The Ring or something (both way better movies than this seems to be).

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Paramount seems to think this has sleeper potential, given that they put a teaser in front of Top Gun

i've seen worse-looking horror movies, but that seems pretty generic

meanwhile, here's a children's classic as a Shawn Mendes musical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSHecHtkXAc

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

This will either be good or utter poo poo, like most horror movies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FoneBone posted:

Paramount seems to think this has sleeper potential, given that they put a teaser in front of Top Gun

i've seen worse-looking horror movies, but that seems pretty generic

meanwhile, here's a children's classic as a Shawn Mendes musical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSHecHtkXAc

Immediately turned it off when the mini preview in the beginning had the croc singing in a high voice instead of sounding deep and croaky.

You know, like how crocs usually sing

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yeah I can't figure this out. The production style looks pretty cool (love those colors) but the premise just seems... too wacky to make scary. I kinda lol'd at the last shot of that trailer.

It Follows definitely did it better and holy poo poo was it an anxiety inducing classic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerkface posted:

Patrick's movie is probably more about creating a movie than creating a good story movie.

i think, total opinion here, but i think her book is "good if you go into it with appropriate expectations". if i'd just read her book in a vacuum without already liking her videos and getting familiar with her "voice", i don't think i'd have liked it nearly as much

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Stealth Joker sequel?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I didn't watch but I'm assuming the whole trailer is just the Black Hole Sun video

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
y'all gotta watch the trailer if for nothing else than the very last shot

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

It's the sound direction and quick cuts that make this look poo poo.
There's total silence in the wrong places.
You could make it scarier with some low level static and some low distorted giggling (for example when passing the man in the room), but thats me.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I was kind of with it until that last shot and then I lol'd heartily.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BonoMan posted:

y'all gotta watch the trailer if for nothing else than the very last shot

haha yeah

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

happyhippy posted:

It's the sound direction and quick cuts that make this look poo poo.
There's total silence in the wrong places.
You could make it scarier with some low level static and some low distorted giggling (for example when passing the man in the room), but thats me.
I'm guessing it's a movie on the level of The Bye Bye Man but the trailer editor really wanted to create a modern psychological horror "Jordan Peele" feel with those vocal "conk" and cello sting sounds and absence of audio.
It completely felt like a parody. A24 this is not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JazzFlight posted:

I'm guessing it's a movie on the level of The Bye Bye Man but the trailer editor really wanted to create a modern psychological horror "Jordan Peele" feel with those vocal "conk" and cello sting sounds and absence of audio.
It completely felt like a parody. A24 this is not.

i mean, don't you think that's what it's going for? to me it scanned as a po-faced satire of A24 type indie horror, in every possible way

whether the movie itself is fun or not, who knows, but the trailer for sure seemed to be winking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

kiimo posted:

I didn't watch but I'm assuming the whole trailer is just the Black Hole Sun video
It's just the Richard D. James album cover for two and a half minutes.