Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Yes, Homelander on ‘The Boys’ Is Supposed to Be Donald Trump

Showrunner Eric Kripke goes deep on the twisted superhero saga’s evolution from Season One to now — including the fate of that giant penis prop

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/boys-penis-homelander-trump-billy-joel-season-3-1369258/

The evil-Superman-style character Homelander is becoming more and more of a direct Trump analogue this season. What was your thinking there?

He’s always been a Trump analogue for me. I’ll admit to being a little more bald this season than I have in past seasons. But the world is getting more coarse and less elegant. The urgency of our team’s writing reflects that. We’re angrier and more scared as the years go on, so that is just being reflected in our writing. But part of it is where Homelander’s story naturally goes. He has this really combustible mix of complete weakness and insecurity, and just horrible power and ambition, and it’s just such a deadly combo. Of course he would feel victimized that people are angry that he dated a Nazi. All he ever wants is to be the most powerful person he can be, even though he’s completely inadequate in his abilities to handle it. So it’s white-male victimization and unchecked ambition. And those issues just happened to reflect the guy who, it’s just still surreal to say it, was loving president of the United States. And it’s a bigger issue than just Trump. The more awful public figures act, the more fans they seem to be getting. That’s a phenomenon that we wanted to explore, that Homelander is realizing that he can actually show them who he really is and they’ll love him for it.

PS

Stormfront was a nazi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Did Homelander really deafen that guy just because he was asian?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Homelander is gonna feel real dumb when he remembers Black Noir is a mute.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Homelander is gonna feel real dumb when he remembers Black Noir is a mute.

He generally seems annoyed when anyone says anything to him since he far prefers talking *at* people, so in that respect, Noir probably has a leg up.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!

DrPaper posted:

Did Homelander really deafen that guy just because he was asian?

Holy poo poo, Homelander used to be asian? I really need a rewatch

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He generally seems annoyed when anyone says anything to him since he far prefers talking *at* people, so in that respect, Noir probably has a leg up.

I think Homelander just likes him because half of his face is burnt off. It's the same thing with his girlfriend the nazi pedophile Stormfront.

Also Stillwell too now that I think about it

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 22, 2022

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
This thread is really bad. I hope you are all proud.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I think this thread has had enough people triumphantly proclaiming that they understand the not at all subtle political subtext of the show to offbalance the two people who didn't get it now guys.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Collateral posted:

This thread is really bad. I hope you are all proud.

but did you see this post?

Martman posted:

it's an acronym, idiot

Bugger Off, Ya Supes (in Butcher's voice)

redeemed

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

"Maevos Rancheros" is an amazingly vile piece of wordplay.

That turn of phrase is general fighting words to anyone hearing it and I love whoever came up with it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Owlbear Camus posted:

They were young enough to come up with the solution, and old enough to realize how silly it was when I encouraged them to reason through its recursive absurdity.'

She said she's an "anarchist" but I say that doesn't mean she gets to defy the hierarchy of Dad enforcing bedtime.

Your child is a liberal

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Farm Frenzy posted:

I think this thread has had enough people triumphantly proclaiming that they understand the not at all subtle political subtext of the show to offbalance the two people who didn't get it now guys.

Joe Biden is the shrinking guy, the penis is America

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Man how the hell does Herogasm even work within the context of the show vs the comics

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sockser posted:

Man how the hell does Herogasm even work within the context of the show vs the comics

My guess is that Homelander calls a meeting of "all the most powerful/popular Supes" at a remote location (in the comics it was some "secret off-world mission against aliens"), gets them all drugged and hosed up in both senses of the word so they're more receptive to his giving the "let's just loving take over the world" speech.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Sockser posted:

My bet for what happens in the show:

Starlight drinks or inhales something, passes out and wakes up to find herself in bed with Homelander after he's finished. Mainly to gently caress with her and Hughie even more.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I am not sure where the idea that the boys were all about nobody should ever have these powers. They weren't, they were about holding those with these powers to account when they gently caress up, intentionally or otherwise.

A-train killed Robin with his superspeed, and got away with it.

Soldier Boy did "something" to MM's family, and got away with it.

Homelander raped Becca, and got away with it.

etc.

At the start of the show all The Boys thought Supes were born with Power, looking askance at V or TempV and their friends that use it to help them in their mission, sounds a whole lot like shifting goalposts. So we can classify the boys into two camps, Ends Justify the Means : Butcher and Hughie. Ends Do Not yet Justify the Means: The Rest.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Butcher using a Churchillian put down on Maeve felt forced, I'm sure they could have used it better elsewhere. But still nice to hear it used.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

tbh the original Churchill quote seems like him being a complete dickhead out of nowhere... like "haha Winston you're drunk" "oh yeah bitch?? well you're ugly!!!"

I kinda liked Butcher's use of it better.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Churchill wasn’t exactly known for his fine social graces.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Bussamove posted:

Yeah more so his banging body

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The sheer gall of looking like winston Churchill and calling someone else ugly

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

homelander didn't want the muslim or black woman into the seven and let the deep in instead and people are still wondering if he's a racist sexist super incel

i can't... lol

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

christmas boots posted:

The sheer gall of looking like winston Churchill and calling someone else ugly

Uh it’s called ginblossom chic thanks

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Dalael posted:

I think we're ready for a new format, where there's red circles with arrows pointing to things, and a lenght subtitle explaining the subtleties.

Like a red circle around homelander, with "Bad Guy" is red gory letters cuz woa was that a surprise to some ppl.

They'd still need 5 NerdCrew(tm) videos to explain it to them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Noam Chomsky posted:

homelander didn't want the muslim or black woman into the seven and let the deep in instead and people are still wondering if he's a racist sexist super incel

i can't... lol

LoL Homelander isn’t an incel, wtf are talking about lmao

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL Homelander isn’t an incel, wtf are talking about lmao

"Discussions in incel forums are often characterized by resentment and hatred, misogyny, misanthropy, self-pity and self-loathing, racism, a sense of entitlement to sex, and the endorsement of violence against women and sexually active people"

Homelander gets plenty of sex (rape and consentual) but his inability to form a lasting connection and view people as anything but objects to satisfy his needs because he "deserves" them, and his violence when those needs aren't met, is what makes him an incel. He's got a lot more wrong with him than that, but yeah that label fits. I mean poo poo, one of the few normal people he's shown to respect or admire was Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver, the ur-incel.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
… what do you think the “cel” part of Incel means?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

As Nero Danced posted:

Homelander gets plenty of sex (rape and consentual) but his inability to form a lasting connection and view people as anything but objects to satisfy his needs because he "deserves" them, and his violence when those needs aren't met, is what makes him an incel.

a person with a history of consensual sexual relationships is literally by definition not an involuntarily celibate person

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Noam Chomsky posted:

i can't... lol

Homelander likes power and popularity. The black or the muslim women are not going to be popular with half the country (just look at the Ms Marvel ratings, which despite being among the best reviewed Disney+ shows, are half of Hawkeye - which was the previous lowest rated MCU show). The only reason he brought back The Deep is to torment Starlight. In season 1 he made it clear he thought The Deep was a joke.

Homelander has a pretty simple world view. He is on top, the rest of the supes are on the level below, with preference given based on how association with them benefits Homelander, and everyone else is just food.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bussamove posted:

I dont know if it's apocryphal but after his death his housekeeper said "Nah, he wasn't quick witted, he would hours every day sitting in the bath tub and thinking up insults people would say to him so he could workshop comebacks."

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

OctaMurk posted:

a person with a history of consensual sexual relationships is literally by definition not an involuntarily celibate person

So if an incel finally gets laid they stop being awful to other people? He's angry, resentful, misanthropic, misogynistic, and prone to violence when he doesn't get what he wants.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

So if an incel finally gets laid they stop being awful to other people? He's angry, resentful, misanthropic, misogynistic, and prone to violence when he doesn't get what he wants.

Incel means 'involuntarily celibate', whether the sex is consensual or not by definition he's not an incel if he's not celibate

Jesus Christ

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He’s ALSO not INVOLUNTARY, he’s NEITHER OF THE THINGS!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

As Nero Danced posted:

Incels don't hold a monopoly on being huge misogynistic assholes

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

pik_d posted:

Incels don't hold a monopoly on being huge misogynistic assholes

Fair enough, I'm focusing more on the narcisstic sociopathic tendencies of that group and how homelander hits pretty much all of them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*ashley runs into thread*

"the thread dropped by 20 points!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

As Nero Danced posted:

Fair enough, I'm focusing more on the narcisstic sociopathic tendencies of that group and how homelander hits pretty much all of them.

I’m sorry to inform you that misogynystic sociopaths tend to get a lot of pussy, and they have for hundreds and thousands of years before the online “incel” movement formed. It’s literally why the patriarchy exists such as it does presently. Just look at Mormonism, for example.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m sorry to inform you that misogynystic sociopaths tend to get a lot of pussy, and they have for hundreds and thousands of years before the online “incel” movement formed. It’s literally why the patriarchy exists such as it does presently. Just look at Mormonism, for example.

Good point, I was mistaken and looking at the wrong part of the problem

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

What’s kind of funny is the Muslim hero has mind reading powers, so outside of the racism aspects it’s something Homelander really doesn’t like, if his interaction with Mesmer is any indication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

bobjr posted:

What’s kind of funny is the Muslim hero has mind reading powers, so outside of the racism aspects it’s something Homelander really doesn’t like, if his interaction with Mesmer is any indication

he loves talking to people and being like "your heart rate is elevated, are you afraid?" but poke around in his horrible brain a little and whoa buddy.