Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

That heel turn within 10 minutes was a little abrupt, and it's not clear what they actually want from her? The bangle? Just... ask for it?

Attacking her with what appears to be lethal intent seems a bit much

EDIT: Also, after hearing the speech from her father about 'choosing family' she still doesn't confide in them? This episode has been the weakest for me so far and a bit of a letdown. Hopefully picks back up

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I'm still not sure why they decided to use the stick on her so quickly instead of the carrot they had going. What's another rather really small period of time relative to their lifetimes to earn some trust or to counter doubts?

crazysim fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 22, 2022

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

crazysim posted:

I'm still not sure why they decided to use the stick on her so quickly instead of the carrot they had going. What's another rather really small period of time relative to their lifetimes to earn some trust or to counter doubts?

Maybe what they actually feel is that Kamala's great grandma betrayed them by hiding out and starting a family instead of coming back to them and felt Kamala not instantly giving in and helping them meant she was against them. We still don't have any answers why there are rumors of her great grandma killing someone and what happened to her.

It could be because the ClanDestine found her when she was putting her family on the train and she killed one of them and gave the bangle to her daughter to keep it safe. She might have been captured and killed by the rest right after for all we know now.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Highlight of this wonderful episode was definitely Brown Jovi

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Ayesha's little brother wearing the Little Hulk costume. :discourse:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So uhhhhhh anyone else notice the Ten Rings symbol carved on the floor in the opening when you see everyone from above?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Rarity posted:

Oh neat Clan Destines, that is a deep cut

It is, but they could've had any random name and no-one would've made the connection.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
still a good show, not as good as the first two episodes, which isn't surprising given that the family dramedy is the strongest element here. I don't really care for how abruptly the villains were revealed as villains after being introduced, with no real development to justify their heel turn beyond vague exposition about their origins.

On the more positive side, since the obvious twist and subsequent fight are out of the way only three episodes in, I genuinely don't know where the plot is going in the back half, beyond Red Dagger showing up.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hang on, so Pakistani weddings do a first-dance for everybody but the couple? That owns.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I was lucky enough to get invited to a Bangladeshi wedding and it was very similar, they had everything *but* the dance off and, er, Bon Jovi tribute act. So now I feel kinda cheated.

Anyway, the most disappointing ep so far due to that ludicrous heel turn. Like, you've already waited centuries, you saying you really can't loving wait a few more days while her brother's wedding is going on? Get hosed. Still enjoying it a lot though, though Nakia better not go all pouty and sulky on us.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I assume it is as somebody else suggested, there is some bad stuff in the past that happened and the opportunity to escape back has slipped through their fingers before (the nan at the end of the episode and her mother being pretty evasive suggest they know something) and I guess patience isn't exactly a virtue villains traditionally have. Was definitely 0% to 100% in an instant though, not even an extra scene of them trying to persuade her again the next day or whatever, then the wedding and them going "actually gently caress this, get her!", that'd have been enough.

I enjoyed the episode well enough, if they don't do a great job explaining the villain stuff in subsequent episodes then that'll be the one negative about the show so far, been enjoying it quite a bit. The other shows had sorta showed their hands a bit by this point in their respective runs and I was actively becoming a bit concerned they weren't gonna live up to their potential or they'd actively shat the bed entirely so as long as this doesn't have a really bad ending it'll probably end up on the upper scale of the MCU tv shows for me.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Still the best thing Marvel has ever done.

On a non-spoiler note, and as someone who tries to watch more diverse content, I think this is possibly the first time I’ve ever seen a Muslim wedding ceremony in English language media. And it’s joyous and wonderful, and then hearing “Allah akbar” in a purely happy and positive context when we’ve had two decades of that phrase being twisted by bigots into a shorthand for hatred.

This show isn’t just good. It’s also Good with a capital G. There will be people out there who needed to see all this on screen. It’s the most wonderful example of positive representation for a demographic who have so far not just been underrepresented, but also overwhelmingly negatively represented. The fact that the show loving owns as well is a real bonus.

Sure the heel turn was a bit abrupt, but eh cutting to the chase on the villains meant more time for the wedding and Brown Jovi (which is legit the funniest joke in an MCU thing ever, I howled).

The fight scene was well choreographed and creative, and I’m actually digging the light powers first as instinctive defences, because Kamala doesn’t know how to fight and can’t take a hit, and then when Bruno comes to her aid like a boss she goes all embiggen on the fists. Such a great moment. So many great moments.

Also really liking that Damage Control are emerging as an anti-superhero threat and they’ll likely be making Sentinels ready for X-Men when they turn up. Of course that this point there’d be some agency dealing with powered individuals, and with She Hulk dealing with the legal ramifications of all this stuff it just feels like a good flipside to the Avengerscon fan stuff and Ant Man having a podcast aspect. World feels a little more fleshed out. Damage Control still being racial profiling pricks matches too.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I’m waiting for the Supreme Court to rule that Damage Control has absolute jurisdiction in a 100 radius of any alleged superhuman incident.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really glad that they got all the Kamran's Mom drama out of the way and moved things forward. We know there'll be an evil mom, it's Disney and clearly Muneesha's not the candidate. Same with Nakia getting on the mosque board between episodes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Adventure Time is a good example -- there's definitely a lot there that can be interesting to adults, but then you'll get a minute-long segment where Jake the dog dances and moves his body around in silly ways because the show is indeed aimed at children, and they don't have the attention span to sit through a bunch of dialogue about the series-long plot and worldbuilding without getting to laugh at a goofy dance or something every few minutes. I still haven't gone back to watch it now that it wrapped up since there's a little too much kid-friendly silliness versus meat for adults to sink their teeth into.

Yeah its this. Kids shows is just another genre, and you'll like it or won't bother with it based on how much you enjoy its facets. Like I'm not gonna watch Adventure Time because alot of it is boring for me as an older dude, but I can see how people would look past it or enjoy based on their love of the genre.

Categorizing genre is just a way to help with recommendations shows. So most likely She-Ra isn't going to hit with your average adult as much as, say, a show that has an adult protagonist and more closely reflects their concerns and struggles. But that doesn't mean its of any less worth. It's just more specific, and people recommending should keep that in mind.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

I didn't miss it, but I forgot to stay through the whole credits to see the second after credits scene.

The final episode of Obi-Wan drops Wednesday as well. Your complainability factor has been well and truly covered.

lol gonna check out the star wars thread bc I absolutely do not care about this show and just wanna see if ppl hated it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Barry Convex posted:

still a good show, not as good as the first two episodes, which isn't surprising given that the family dramedy is the strongest element here. I don't really care for how abruptly the villains were revealed as villains after being introduced, with no real development to justify their heel turn beyond vague exposition about their origins.

I haven't finished the episode (still at the part where she's talking to Brain about all this stuff) but based on Kamala's current reaction (jinn are basically demons and she's reacting like an observant Christian might were she told (and believed) "By the way, turns out your real dad was actually Lucifer.") Still, she's Kamala, so at this specific point it looks like she's trying to process it more than anything else.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I kinda wonder why they decided against Kamala using the word "embiggen". After all, Disney has owned the Simpsons for a while now, so surely it's not an intellectual property thing.
And the first issue of Ms. Marvel came out in 2017, when the Simpsons quote in question was already over 20 years old, so it's not like "the old Kamala of the comics would have used it, but this is a more modern Kamala and kids today won't get it".

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dave Syndrome posted:

I kinda wonder why they decided against Kamala using the word "embiggen". After all, Disney has owned the Simpsons for a while now, so surely it's not an intellectual property thing.
And the first issue of Ms. Marvel came out in 2017, when the Simpsons quote in question was already over 20 years old, so it's not like "the old Kamala of the comics would have used it, but this is a more modern Kamala and kids today won't get it".

Maybe they're saving it for the last episode or something? This version of Kamala doesn't actually shift the shape/size of her body the way the comic version does so perhaps this version doesn't yet think of, say, her hard-light hand construct as an "embiggened" hand.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You can't copyright a word, plus embiggen has been in the dictionary since 2018.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're definitely saving embiggening for the finale.

Anyway, Kamala's dad is the best character.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Was not ready for the show, as strong as it is, to have real good fight choreography and cinematography!

logger
Jun 28, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arist posted:

They're definitely saving embiggening for the finale.

Anyway, Kamala's dad is the best character.

His talk with Aamir before the wedding was so heartwarming.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Hostess Fruit Pies are pretty drat good

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Finally, the universe where everyone loves Hostess fruit pies is part of the MCU

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-51914

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The kitchen fight scene might be the best fight choreography of any of the D+ shows ???

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God drat that was a great episode.

Really loved the wedding and the fight that came from it.

Based on the intro flashback these pretty much are going to be the Negabands aren't they?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sockser posted:

The kitchen fight scene might be the best fight choreography of any of the D+ shows ???

As a white guy I'm probably more prone to make bigoted judgements but I can't help it. The show is bringing it out in me. Clearly Muslims are just way better than others at Disney+ shows (and weddings) and Disney needs to hire way more of them and fire the conventional (and kind of talentless) white guys.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

"We've been waiting 80 years for our one chance. Now that she is here and trusts us I say we attack her with a whip sword at a mosque we know the feds are actively monitoring!"

That was so dumb.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

D-Pad posted:

"We've been waiting 80 years for our one chance. Now that she is here and trusts us I say we attack her with a whip sword at a mosque we know the feds are actively monitoring!"

That was so dumb.

"If we don't get this done now, we'll have to wait...a few more hours!"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Parkingtigers posted:

On a non-spoiler note, and as someone who tries to watch more diverse content, I think this is possibly the first time I’ve ever seen a Muslim wedding ceremony in English language media. And it’s joyous and wonderful, and then hearing “Allah akbar” in a purely happy and positive context when we’ve had two decades of that phrase being twisted by bigots into a shorthand for hatred.

I'm not sure if the wedding involved is specifically a Muslim wedding, since it's been years since I've seen it and I can't even remember if the show gave the specific religious denomination of the wedding any focus, but the only one that springs to mind for me is Cece's wedding in season two or three of New Girl. Which I remember because it too was very lively and colorful in a way that stood out to me the way the wedding in this one does. A quick Google says that it's an Indian wedding, but given the breadth of religions that have a lot of observation in a nation as large as India, that doesn't indicate the specific religion. Still, it had a lot of the same energy at the very least.

Dave Syndrome posted:

I'm not familiar at all with the comic but I don't even see why she'd use the word "embiggen" in this show, because it just doesn't seem like it has any real relationship to what she's doing. Sure, technically she's creating an embiggened limb, but it's one that's energy based and not her own body, so the relationship is a lot more distant. Is the word "embiggen" a major thing in the comics or something, that she has to use it?

twistedmentat posted:

Based on the intro flashback these pretty much are going to be the Negabands aren't they?

It's certainly my assumption, because the Nega Bands link the user to the negative zone if I recall, as well as granting superhuman abilities; which the Marvel wiki says was by transforming mental energy into physical energy. Which definitely sounds similar to what Kamala has going on. The whole "Noh" energy thing or whatever that Kamran's mother was talking about sounds a bit similar to Noh-Varr too, who is another Kree descended Marvel character who used the Nega Bands. So the "Djinn" being residents of the Negative Zone not only gives them a tie back to older Captain Marvels, but also possibly sets up the Negative Zone for the F4, since they often have adventures there and it even ties into their origin in Ultimates if I recall..

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 22, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

I'm not sure if the wedding involved is specifically a Muslim wedding, since it's been years since I've seen it and I can't even remember if the show gave the specific religious denomination of the wedding any focus, but the only one that springs to mind for me is Cece's wedding in season two or three of New Girl. Which I remember because it too was very lively and colorful in a way that stood out to me the way the wedding in this one does. A quick Google says that it's an Indian wedding, but given the breadth of religions that have a lot of observation in a nation as large as India, that doesn't indicate the specific religion. Still, it had a lot of the same energy at the very least.

Still just seen the preview but... why wouldn't it be a Muslim wedding? It's two observant Muslims getting married. They're not on a boat or eloping or some crap. They're getting married with their families and friends in attendance within their community. This is generally how a normal wedding (regardless of the faith involved) works.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

Soiled Meat

Everyone posted:

Still just seen the preview but... why wouldn't it be a Muslim wedding? It's two observant Muslims getting married. They're not on a boat or eloping or some crap. They're getting married with their families and friends in attendance within their community. This is generally how a normal wedding (regardless of the faith involved) works.

You are parsing the sentence incorrectly, they are talking about the show New Girl and aren't sure if the wedding in that is a Muslim wedding.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This show is such an absolute delight to watch. Sure you can complain about the quick heel turn, but whatever, it was gonna happen and it got out of the way and lead to a really great fight sequence.

Also if I ever get married I want a wedding like that.

I think the bangle is one half of the nega bands, too. I figured that might be the case before the show, where the bands are the nega bands/quantum bands. But it makes sense if we're talking about other dimensions, since they can move people back and forth between them. Making the ClanDestine from the Negative Zone or whatever else they might decide is a pretty cool idea. Making the bands Kree relics is also how you can tie in Carol.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
The heel turn was a little abrupt, but if that's the worst complaint we have, then this show really is this good and not just my baked brain.

My head canon is that for 100% Djinn, living on this material plane is excruciating. They've lived with it for at least a century, so they're able to manage, but now that the way home is so goddam close... I can only assume it's like when you desperately need to take a poo poo while driving down the free way and hold like a champ for 45 minutes, but begin to turtle head terribly the moment you see your own place and your body knows that the toilet is near. I assume that's how Evil Mom feels when she looks at Kamala.

Also, Bruno is becoming a paradox for me. I get that he's the introvert nerd trope, but my man looks very good in a suit and is not at all afraid to cut a rug at wedding. How have none of these girls at this mosque not poached that little white boy off Kamala? I'm not unconvinced that Mama Khan isn't grooming him to be a proper husband, either. Probably my dumb narrative brain filling in blanks, but I noticed it, nonetheless.

Papa Khan is the best. What a weird product placement: my secret delight are these fake tasting chemical balls! I totally get it, though, so I let it slide. Has it been established what Papa Khan does for a living? It'd be great if Peter Parker had a plausible reason to end up working for him or something. I have to admit that I'm leaning on a stereotype and been assuming he's an engineer of some kind.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Marsupial Ape posted:

My head canon is that for 100% Djinn, living on this material plane is excruciating. They've lived with it for at least a century, so they're able to manage, but now that the way home is so goddam close... I can only assume it's like when you desperately need to take a poo poo while driving down the free way and hold like a champ for 45 minutes, but begin to turtle head terribly the moment you see your own place and your body knows that the toilet is near. I assume that's how Evil Mom feels when she looks at Kamala.

Kamran's mom seemed to turn not because "I can't wait a few more hours" and more because "oh, she doesn't want to do this because it's dangerous?". The danger is inherent, and she doesn't seem to think there's any way to change that or that Kamala will change her mind, so why bother waiting? If Kamala was happy to risk it regardless of the dangers then she'd probably have been happy to wait a few hours, days etc. but when Kamala is dithering because of a danger that can't be removed then she's probably not going to ever commit.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

Marsupial Ape posted:

The heel turn was a little abrupt, but if that's the worst complaint we have, then this show really is this good and not just my baked brain.

Kamran's mom seemed to turn not because "I can't wait a few more hours" and more because "oh, she doesn't want to do this because it's dangerous?". The danger is inherent, and she doesn't seem to think there's any way to change that or that Kamala will change her mind, so why bother waiting? If Kamala was happy to risk it regardless of the dangers then she'd probably have been happy to wait a few hours, days etc. but when Kamala is dithering because of a danger that can't be removed then she's probably not going to ever commit.

First, Ape... creative metaphor.

Second, I think it's a blend of both motives. (Most of) the Djinn are desperate to go home and don't want to wait a single second longer than they have to. Meanwhile, Kamala is a little freaked by the danger (haven't gotten to that part of the episode yet). Figure Najma isn't so much thinking "What if she never commits?" so much as "What if Kamala just runs the gently caress away and we end up losing our chance to leave this place for another 80 years or so?"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, Bruno is becoming a paradox for me. I get that he's the introvert nerd trope, but my man looks very good in a suit and is not at all afraid to cut a rug at wedding. How have none of these girls at this mosque not poached that little white boy off Kamala? I'm not unconvinced that Mama Khan isn't grooming him to be a proper husband, either. Probably my dumb narrative brain filling in blanks, but I noticed it, nonetheless.

Bruno is so good in this show. It does seem like Kamala's parents recognize how good of a husband he would be and already care for him like a son. Plus he's learned/is learning a lot about their culture so it's clear that he cares for Kamala a lot just through that.

I get the feeling that if Nakia wasn't so close with Kamala and knew that there's some spark between those two, that her and Bruno would be a good couple.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Everyone posted:

First, Ape... creative metaphor.

I thought it was evocative, at least.

but, yes, a little of column A, a little of column B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Are you guys talking about Brian?