Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The most NHL thing in the world is going in big on NFTs after the bubble has long since burst, just unbelievably consistent in taking Ls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1539632513659830273?s=20&t=Usu_sWr922U76sYqTf_a2Q

I will say, I was a fan of Maurice the person when he was the Leafs coach because he was really articulate in scrums and interviews. I do think watching his teams play he understands how goals are scored (side-eyeing in Keefe’s direction here) and with enough talent his teams at least look exciting. But… it’s pretty clear that he’s not good, and lol hiring a dude with his track record just because he talks well.

Also there were rumours of a divided and toxic dressing room when he was Leafs coach and he also presided over the whole Jets thing for years so that’s not great.

It was the same exact thing with both his Carolina tenures. A year after their 2002 Cup run he had half the team (the half that already hated him) skating suicide sprints after practice and it blew up on him.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

there's the 2nd insanely stupid piece of NHL news today, now here's hoping for a 3rd

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

The most NHL thing in the world is going in big on NFTs after the bubble has long since burst, just unbelievably consistent in taking Ls

Just so insanely on the nose that it feels like a parody.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

who's ready to get their team branded ape apparel

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

If the NHL were only looking to halve their value in short order they had Jim Benning waiting right there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Backing up a dump truck full of Bitcoins to get my NHL Guardian NFT right here.

ThinkTank posted:

As underwhelming a choice as Maurice is, Brunette was an interim guy that oversaw a really talented roster. Is there anything he's done that makes him worth retaining beyond "he watched Barkov et al play well?"

I don't really have an opinion on Brunette but it's funny to give him zero credit for the team scoring 4 goals a game in the regular season then a whopping 0.75 in a second round sweep. Surely the truth is actually in the middle this time??

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

lmao they asked brunette to join maurice's staff

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1539624147248185344?t=xN5-UepVrlvGAAs1n91bYA&s=19

now with the right tweet

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Not sure who's dumber, Florida or the NHL

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Well the Florida Panthers are part of the NHL so that counts against the NHL too. Plus the whole Coyotes thing and now hopping on the NFT train after it has derailed and caught fire. Definitely going with NHL.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

eXXon posted:

Backing up a dump truck full of Bitcoins to get my NHL Guardian NFT right here.

That's immediately where my mind went... "hmmmm, how could this be even dumber?"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good soup! posted:

lol at the headline alone https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2022/06/21/coyotes-modifications-to-asu-arena-nhl.html

Coyotes' modifications to ASU arena won’t be complete until well after NHL season starts

Apparently the $20 million two-story structure that will have the important stuff - home and away locker rooms, training areas, fitness room, team storage, etc etc, won't be done until the end of the year

I cannot loving wait to see players having to put on skate guards and walk outside into some fuckin trailer rear end locker rooms at intermissions, it is going to rule

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I'd guess the Brunette thing is just a formality that neither side actually thinks will be accepted. From the Panthers its probably "well, we're paying you anyways, so I guess if you want to actually come to work, that's be cool with us."

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Avalanche did a similar thing years ago where they basically demoted Tony Granato to assistant coach when they hired Quennville. Then when Quennville left they promoted Granato back to head coach. Then fired him a year later.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

I'd guess the Brunette thing is just a formality that neither side actually thinks will be accepted. From the Panthers its probably "well, we're paying you anyways, so I guess if you want to actually come to work, that's be cool with us."

Pretty sure he gives up the money if they offer him his old job back and he says no?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
https://twitter.com/MDeFranks/status/1539648913312989184

so further to my point of the Dallas Stars will never fire Jim Nill because they are the ultimate old boys club franchise, it seems that not only does Nill feel confident enough to claim that his contract will be extended past next year, but we are also going to be stuck with whatever dope he picks to be his successor after that. Truly a great day for Dallas fans.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not competent or qualified enough to do my job myself, but let me tell you who is,

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Pretty sure he gives up the money if they offer him his old job back and he says no?

I guess being an assistant turned interim makes it a little different than a normal firing. Do interim coaches get a new contract or would they be on their assistant contract? Does Florida have constructive dismissal laws?

But in that case "sorry the promotion didn't work out, but you can have your old job back if you want" also sounds like a thing people say fully expecting them to walk. Especially in a tiny industry where there's a good chance you'll have some sort of professional relationship with the guy again in the future.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I want NHL NFTs of the Guardian Project heroes. Maybe with guest appearances from Imagine Dragons? Just jam it all in there.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Yes

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/nealmchale/status/1539662807364698112

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

1. Florida (the state)
2. NHL
3. Florida (the team)

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Why the hell didnt they just keep Brunette as coach? :psyduck:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/MDeFranks/status/1539648913312989184

so further to my point of the Dallas Stars will never fire Jim Nill because they are the ultimate old boys club franchise, it seems that not only does Nill feel confident enough to claim that his contract will be extended past next year, but we are also going to be stuck with whatever dope he picks to be his successor after that. Truly a great day for Dallas fans.

It's just how you GM a team in Dallas.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Turn Paul Maurice's losingest head coach ever record into an NFT

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

How the gently caress does Paul Maurice keep getting jobs coaching NHL teams? :psyduck:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

How the gently caress does Paul Maurice keep getting jobs coaching NHL teams? :psyduck:

He is one of the most experienced NHL head coaches in history (4th most experienced ever to be exact) and so he really knows how to look, sound, and talk like an NHL head coach. He looks like the safest choice to people who don't know anything about hockey, such as all of the owners and half or better of the GMs. And he's willing to take a lot less money than Trotz.

Fun reminder while we're here, Maurice (again, 4th all time in games coached, 1st all time in games lost as a coach) is only just barely older than Mike Sullivan. He's younger than Craig Berube or Dean Evason. And when Rod Brind'Amour first came to the Hurricanes as a player, Maurice had already been the (Whalers'/)Hurricanes' coach for five years. He was the last coach of the Hartford Whalers, and he's not even one of the ten oldest coaches in the NHL right now. He started his NHL coaching career really young.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Isn't Maurice one of those guys who has the reputation of being good at whipping underachieving teams into shape but then generally fails to take the next step

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Also Maurice is very articulate in a folksy friendly sort of way which endears him to the average fan, media and NHL GMs

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I have no doubt that Martin St-Louis would be out-coached to hell in some playoffs but I somehow still feel good about his hiring straight from pee-wee by Montreal

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He's also a career hockey guy. He started coaching at twenty when his junior career flamed out so has spent his entire adult life around the coaching/management side of the sport. He knows everyone and anyone these is to know to ensure he keeps getting opportunities and interviews.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jack Capuano almost getting hired is 1000000000000000x worse than Paul Maurice getting a job.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Capuano's whatever, he and Maurice are practically the same guy except Maurice is more articulate and better connected. What's really outrageous is the probability of Quenneville getting another job. He did exactly what Joe Paterno was so justly crucified for. He was presented with a very credible accusation of abuse and rape occurring under his watch, and did everything he could to bury it because "we don't need this distraction right now, or actually, ever". He should be spending the rest of his life in a cell. He sure as hell should never be allowed to work in sports in any capacity again. But he'll have a new multimillion dollar job any day now. Maybe Joe Posnanski can write a glowing biography of him.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Bettman came out this week and said he's not sure if he'd reinstate Quenneville.

Paul Maurice is a very well-liked guy who perhaps has unfairly gotten a reputation for being around a long time and not winning a cup when he's never really had a team worthy of being a contender. His greatest success was the 02 Hurricanes, who lost in the finals to an absolutely stacked Red Wings team with 9 Hall of Famers, while his team was, uh,

https://www.hockey-reference.com/playoffs/2002-carolina-hurricanes-vs-detroit-red-wings-stanley-cup-final.html

He got fired by the Canes in 04, but the roster that Laviolette took to the finals a few years later was much improved and, seriously, does this team look like they should've been better?

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CAR/2004.html

Does anyone consider the Jets 18 conference finals loss to be his fault? I think they ran into a better team.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/playoffs/2018-vegas-golden-knights-vs-winnipeg-jets-western-conference-finals.html

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In 24 years of coaching his team has gotten past the first round four (4) times. His teams have made the playoffs 9 times out of 23 (counting his midseason firings against him, but not counting the year he took over Winnipeg near the end of the season), in a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs.

There's a plenty big enough sample size to say with confidence that he is a thoroughly mediocre coach whose teams are invariably mediocre.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 22, 2022

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Jack Capuano almost getting hired is 1000000000000000x worse than Paul Maurice getting a job.

this is wrong. Capuano should be part of a stable of coaches that could always do well in the Metro and really should be there primarily. it's a different division. guys who should only be there:

Torts
Sullivan
Capuano
Laviolette
Keenan
Lou
Ted Nolan honorary member
(trial) Gallant is developing nicely as a moron coach, he'll be a permanent member soon

some of those guys could be good coaches outside of the division. But any Metro fan knows that those guys will 100% have dog rear end annoying teams in this division

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1539737857115541504?s=20&t=_e7ihlvaH0EhUmFvDYLXvw

To answer the question of is Florida dumb...they certainly seem to think Andrew Brunette is....

Honest question. All sports leagues are country clubs where guys get to stick around way too long but is the NHL the worst at it off the 4 major North American sports? I mean the fact that the same 7 guys can burn out at one spot and get another job immediately is pretty amazing.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

soggybagel posted:

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1539737857115541504?s=20&t=_e7ihlvaH0EhUmFvDYLXvw

To answer the question of is Florida dumb...they certainly seem to think Andrew Brunette is....

Honest question. All sports leagues are country clubs where guys get to stick around way too long but is the NHL the worst at it off the 4 major North American sports? I mean the fact that the same 7 guys can burn out at one spot and get another job immediately is pretty amazing.

I mean is it any different from the current business or political world around us? Thinktank basically already said it but it's probably more that Paul Maurice's best talent is to quickly identify which of the many deep insecurities are currently held by the completely clueless boards/owners currently interview, who generally got where they are with very little to do with merit or ability, and then exploit that in the interview process. Hard to argue with the results from the perspective of Paul Maurice's bank account, even if the results for the team/club are less concrete

Edit: I don't mean that to sound like I'm having a go at you, it's an entirely fair question

aejix fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 22, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maurice has exclusively coached trash tier teams. He sucks but there’s only so much you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Eric the Mauve posted:

In 24 years of coaching his team has gotten past the first round four (4) times. His teams have made the playoffs 9 times out of 23 (counting his midseason firings against him, but not counting the year he took over Winnipeg near the end of the season), in a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs.

There's a plenty big enough sample size to say with confidence that he is a thoroughly mediocre coach whose teams are invariably mediocre.

Most of those rosters were thoroughly mediocre, and the only one to succeed after he left was Carolina, who had a few young players break out and a lot of new faces when they won the cup two and a half years later.

Florida's current roster is by far the best he's ever had, on paper.