Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Also, if you just want a fuller/heavier cup, consider getting a metal cone filter for the chemex. The paper filters absorb oils and the now-saturated water that is coffee, and so a filter that has no absorbency will let all that stuff end up in the coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
You can also try a v60 with a cloth filter! I gave up on mine because I got tired of cleaning it, but you definitely get a cup with more body with those.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

JohnCompany posted:

Also, if you just want a fuller/heavier cup, consider getting a metal cone filter for the chemex. The paper filters absorb oils and the now-saturated water that is coffee, and so a filter that has no absorbency will let all that stuff end up in the coffee.

Except you end up with sediment, especially with an encore which has a lot of fines.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I've been using a v60 with bleached filters for almost 10 years now with a clever and french press in between and I see no reason to use anything else. Just make sure you pre-wet the filter.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Has anyone been roasting with a kaffelogic?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use a plastic Melitta cone which uses the standard flat bottom filters you can buy in any grocery in America. I really see no benefit to the v60 unless you need speedier brews. The Melitta only takes like 30 seconds longer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I use a plastic Melitta cone which uses the standard flat bottom filters you can buy in any grocery in America. I really see no benefit to the v60 unless you need speedier brews. The Melitta only takes like 30 seconds longer.

yes but the V60 is Japanese

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mu Zeta posted:

On a related note, are there any flat-bottom filters that will work properly in a Kalita Wave 185 besides the official ones? They're about 50% more expensive than what I used to pay for them, so a cheaper substitute would be great

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

404notfound posted:

On a related note, are there any flat-bottom filters that will work properly in a Kalita Wave 185 besides the official ones? They're about 50% more expensive than what I used to pay for them, so a cheaper substitute would be great

I buy the standard #2 filters and just smush them down to fit the kalita. Works fine on my plastic kalita but my steel version tends to clog.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably take a look at all four units mentioned ( Clever, v60, Kalita Wave, Melitta). Although the Clever seems like a good medium for what I've wanted. Maybe I'll pick two of the four.

If I didn't want to invest into a gooseneck kettle, because I already have a nice water boiler I've been using for a few years, what are my options here? I've seen some cheap-looking tin gooseneck receptacles where you put boiling water into, would that be a decent option?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

The benefit is you already have one or you can buy the v60 filters at your grocery store already like some people can (like me). If you can't, then the Melitta or Kalita is probably more convenient. There is going to be a difference in how it extracts just like there is between the Chemex and v60, but if you like the product you get, don't change a thing. If you don't like it, then changing the shape/filters of your pour over is going to be one of the cheapest options out there.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The Clever is so cheap and works so quickly and easily that imo it’s a no-brainer purchase. If you have a good fast grinder and kettle you can have pretty drat good coffee in 5 minutes flat

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably take a look at all four units mentioned ( Clever, v60, Kalita Wave, Melitta). Although the Clever seems like a good medium for what I've wanted. Maybe I'll pick two of the four.

If I didn't want to invest into a gooseneck kettle, because I already have a nice water boiler I've been using for a few years, what are my options here? I've seen some cheap-looking tin gooseneck receptacles where you put boiling water into, would that be a decent option?

I pour directly into my v60 from my regular kettle.

It’s not perfect but it works well enough. From my research, unless you’re looking to 100% maximize your technique, using a plain kettle as long as you can aim and pour kinda at an even rate is fine.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

obi_ant posted:

That's what I do. I have a Zojirushi water boiler and this small gooseneck pitcher, and it's served me well for years. The benefit of the gooseneck is just being able to get a precise flow of water pouring onto a precise location, doesn't really matter where that water comes from

The Postman
May 12, 2007

404notfound posted:

That's what I do. I have a Zojirushi water boiler and this small gooseneck pitcher, and it's served me well for years. The benefit of the gooseneck is just being able to get a precise flow of water pouring onto a precise location, doesn't really matter where that water comes from

Do you lose much heat transferring to the pitcher? Or do you preheat it or something?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Postman posted:

Do you lose much heat transferring to the pitcher? Or do you preheat it or something?

To be completely honest: I don't really care. Messing with dose and grind is enough variables for me, and I just try to keep everything else exactly the same.

I have my Zojirushi set for 195 F (it has a setting for 208, but I also use the hot water for things other than coffee and 195 is more convenient), and I have the exact same pourover recipe that I use for all my beans. I don't pre-wet my filters (I found it actually caused more stalling in my stainless steel Wave), and I don't preheat anything. The fussiest thing I do is add a few drops of water to the beans before grinding to reduce the static charge.

I probably do lose some heat pouring the water into an unheated metal receptacle, but I don't really want to add more complexity to my routine. I did play around with different recipes at one point (the 4:6 method sounded particularly intriguing), but ultimately I'm just trying to keep things simple.

FWIW, the Kalita recipe I use (I originally got it from somewhere, but can't for the life of me remember where now):

To make 300 ml of coffee:
Start with something like 18 g dose and a 4.0 grind on my 2017 Kinu M47 hand grinder (they've made various revisions to the grinder since I bought mine)
0:00 - 0:10 Pour water equal to double the dose (i.e., 36 ml)
0:10 - 0:40 Bloom
0:40 - 1:10 Pour up to 3/5 the final volume (i.e., 180 ml)
1:10 - 1:45 Let drain
1:45 Pour up to final volume (300 ml)
2:45 - 3:00 Finished draining
Taste and consult coffee compass to refine dose/grind for next time

The timing may vary somewhat, since ultimately I'm using the flavor of the output to determine what to change, rather than adhering to a rigid timetable. I think Ethiopians tend to take longer, for example.

Could I alter my routine to get a marginally tastier cup? Probably. But then I'd be wasting even more beans out of every new bag trying to chase that high, and I'm happy with the sweet spot of convenience to quality that I have right now.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

404notfound posted:

I probably do lose some heat pouring the water into an unheated metal receptacle, but I don't really want to add more complexity to my routine. I did play around with different recipes at one point (the 4:6 method sounded particularly intriguing), but ultimately I'm just trying to keep things simple.

I found that the 4:6 method does a really good job with really fruit-forward coffees but I always feel like it's missing something. Great though if you get, say, a natural process Ethiopian and want to get blasted in the face with fruit like in a commercial for Gushers.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Has anyone been roasting with a kaffelogic?

Hard to find a ton of content about it outside the KL forums and a few youtube videos, but I'm probably gonna buy one when they put it on indiegogo next week

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

eke out posted:

Hard to find a ton of content about it outside the KL forums and a few youtube videos, but I'm probably gonna buy one when they put it on indiegogo next week

Same. Wondering how consistent it is, given that it's basically a smart popcorn popper

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

obi_ant posted:

honestly I just go straight from the water boiler into the V60 most days.

Hario makes an inexpensive polycarb (that’s plastic) pouring kettle called the Air that’s pretty nice to use but you can also replicate much of the experience with your standard 2 cup Pyrex measuring/pouring cup

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Worth noting is that there are tons of different filters available for the V60. The standard ones give you a fairly clear cup, but Cafec medium roast or Sibarist are both a lot coarser and give you some more body/texture. A plastic V60 and a pack of filters is cheap enough to just try.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

Worth noting is that there are tons of different filters available for the V60. The standard ones give you a fairly clear cup, but Cafec medium roast or Sibarist are both a lot coarser and give you some more body/texture. A plastic V60 and a pack of filters is cheap enough to just try.

And a ceramic V60 is like $10-$15 more and feels way nicer to use in the home (the plastic or metal ones are rad for camping tho)

and if you’re keen on looking around and interested, there’s a lot of (often limited run) color variants out there beyond the white/red/black

like my cerulean blue:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
a perfect match for my $1 thrift store Gary Larson mug

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Same. Wondering how consistent it is, given that it's basically a smart popcorn popper

I've talked to/read plenty from people in Au/NZ/UK that really liked it, it's a much cheaper ikawa with much more granular control over roast parameters (notably, for me, having a proper thermocouple in the bean mass and being able to base roasts off that measure, rather than the ikawas exhaust temperature).

Consistency should be very good though, you should be able to completely replicate roasts, which you can't really do without automation. but yeah it's definitely marketed for pros or people who want to really play around with roast profiling

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 23, 2022

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

We posting mugs now?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you ever suddenly run out of beans, and decide to try and use instant espresso, but then decide that it needs something extra to cover the meh flavor, just know this: mixing with tonic makes a really fun foam. I’m not saying it tastes very good, but it’s fun.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

RichterIX posted:

I found that the 4:6 method does a really good job with really fruit-forward coffees but I always feel like it's missing something. Great though if you get, say, a natural process Ethiopian and want to get blasted in the face with fruit like in a commercial for Gushers.

I had the same issue with it. It's still in my rotation but my goto is Lance Hedrick's v60 recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAdgJNK0csc

Tetsu has another recipe out, it scales really well if you are looking to make single cups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miuPSjazpyw

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BrianBoitano posted:

If you ever suddenly run out of beans, and decide to try and use instant espresso, but then decide that it needs something extra to cover the meh flavor, just know this: mixing with tonic makes a really fun foam. I’m not saying it tastes very good, but it’s fun.

Oh don't hate on spro and tonic. Make those regularly through summer.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh I love espresso and tonic, this is about instant powder and its incredible nucleation sites

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Instant powder is great for any baking stuff. I even add it to my pancake mix.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mu Zeta posted:

Instant powder is great for any baking stuff. I even add it to my pancake mix.

Literally anything that involves cocoa powder should have a quarter teaspoon yeah.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Hawkperson posted:

The Clever is so cheap and works so quickly and easily that imo it’s a no-brainer purchase. If you have a good fast grinder and kettle you can have pretty drat good coffee in 5 minutes flat

If you have the budget, I’d spring for the hario switch as it supposedly has better durability, doubles as a v60 (shares filters), and you can experiment with hybrid methods.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty sure you can do pourovers with a Clever as well. I don’t know how well it works but it’s just a matter of setting it on a mug or carafe.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know inflation is a thing but the Clever is also pretty expensive. When I bought mine it was $22 and now it's $38. The aeropress is $40 now.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Pretty sure you can do pourovers with a Clever as well. I don’t know how well it works but it’s just a matter of setting it on a mug or carafe.

For me, I already had a v60, so not having to buy new filters was nice.

Anyone experimented much with hybrid methods? I did this technique for a while but I feel like it’s hard to dial in properly for darker roasts:

https://youtu.be/xKqWYmjXoag

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I know inflation is a thing but the Clever is also pretty expensive now. When I bought mine it was $22 and now it's $35. The aeropress is $40 now.

Wow, you may as well get a hario switch on eBay which starts at around $40

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Re: V60 material chat

From my research, the plastic V60 is actually best. Both the metal and ceramic versions steal a ton of heat so they need to be preheated.

A plastic V60 is $10 an Amazon, or you can get a set with a plastic V60 and a nice glass carafe + 100 filters for $22.

Hario Pour Over Coffee Starter Set Coffee Dripper Set Dripper, Glass Server, Scoop and Filters Size 02, Black https://a.co/d/dcwmCva

Also lol at Amazon using link shorteners so you can’t remove the referral link.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I just made some cold pressed espresso in my Flair this morning (summer has finally come to the Pacific Northwest) and it was great! 16g in, 24g out, just fine enough to choke the machine normally and an extra long pre-infusion. Came out sweet, fruity, and full bodied. I highly recommend it if you have the equipment.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Qylvaran posted:

I just made some cold pressed espresso in my Flair this morning (summer has finally come to the Pacific Northwest) and it was great! 16g in, 24g out, just fine enough to choke the machine normally and an extra long pre-infusion. Came out sweet, fruity, and full bodied. I highly recommend it if you have the equipment.

Time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I think the pre-infusion was about a minute and the percolation was about 30 seconds. I'm still pretty new at this so maybe I don't keep track of all the variables I should.