Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Anne Whateley posted:

A regular slotted spoon (so yeah, a big heat-resistant spoon) is probably your friend here. You can fish out any especially disobedient bits with the silicone-tipped Oxo tongs you probably already have out for the next step.

I love my big Joseph Joseph scoop, which is perfect for many things, but probably not ideal for this since the tip isn't rounded enough to scrape around the edges of round vessels.

It’s not silicone and is not rated at as high of temps. Is it gonna be okay with something where you’re sautéing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If it makes contact for 10 seconds to fish it out, yeah it should be fine. I'm not sure your type of sautéing goes past its max temp (392F) anyway, if you're doing something like cooking lardons or sautéing onions in butter -- for stuff like that you would want it lower anyway so it doesn't burn and smoke. I wouldn't leave the scoop in the pan when it's not in use, but to just scrape it out, it should be fine.

Fwiw I still think the shape isn't ideal for getting into the bottom corners of a round vessel like you want. One of the more rounded knockoffs might be better for that specific purpose.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Looks like a litter scoop.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I use a flat wooden spatula in one hand and the kitchen tweezers in the other. Two utensils is 5x better than one, I can scrape to the side then break the surface tension so they fall off the side where otherwise they hover.

If it's very oily I tilt the pan the other way to drain the oil at the same time, but then I can only use the spatula.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Looks like a litter scoop.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Follow up on commercial immersion blenders. I got this Waring model. Holeeee shiiiit, this is awesome.

My hot sauce blend is: 12 kilograms of habanero chiles, 2.4 kilos of carrots, and 2.4 kilos of garlic. I grind all that to a paste (called a mash) and store it in a 22 quart Cambro to ferment.

Using a Vitamix, that takes about 2 hours. The Vitamix does an amazing job, but with a half-gallon jar, it's a long process.

The Waring immersion blender did the job in 45 minutes. I didn't have to transfer the veggies from one container to another. Just dump it in the Cambro and dive into it. Yes, it vaporized a shitload capsacin, and we had to wear N95 masks. But blending the chiles in the Vitamix is just as bad. Worse, actually, because we're constantly pouring liquified chiles from the blender to the Cambro.

The blender cost about $500, and it was worth every penny.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

You sell your hot sauce online? Got a link?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

nwin posted:

Recommendations for spice storage and knife storage?

I’ve got little kids, so I’m not too keen on keeping the knives in a drawer like I have in the past. I have a great bamboo knife holder that fits in the drawers but if the kids open that drawer than that’s no good and with how much I open it, it could be a pain to put a child lock on it.

Could use a magnetic block but I’ll have to think on the best place to put it.

Spices…I’ve got a lot of spices and can either put them in a narrow (8” wide I’m guessing? Maybe 10”) cabinet or could put them in a drawer. Not interested in the magnetic ones that go on a fridge though.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Delitainers. This cabinet is wider than yours but you should be able to fit two side by side, probably?

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I'm on the delitainer train for lots of things, but how well do they work for spices? It seems like snapping the lid off of several different spices every time you cook would get old, and my clumsy rear end would probably make a mess.

I have some of these, that I've mainly only used for "homemade" spices/spice mixes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072N4Y9XY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They'd probably also work well for smaller quantities, refilled as needed from bulk containers stored elsewhere.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I would be surprised if those screw lids are actually airtight. The delitainer snapping doesn't bother me. :shrug:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

JoshGuitar posted:

I'm on the delitainer train for lots of things, but how well do they work for spices? It seems like snapping the lid off of several different spices every time you cook would get old, and my clumsy rear end would probably make a mess.

I have some of these, that I've mainly only used for "homemade" spices/spice mixes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072N4Y9XY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They'd probably also work well for smaller quantities, refilled as needed from bulk containers stored elsewhere.

Any inconvenience caused by snapping the lids on and off every time is more than made up for by never worrying about your Tbsp measure being too wide to fit into the top of a spice jar. Refilling is also SO MUCH easier and cleaner than the gasketed snap top jars I was using forever. No more spilled spices!

Happiness Commando posted:

Delitainers. This cabinet is wider than yours but you should be able to fit two side by side, probably?

4 delis that aren't blue painter's tape. For shame...

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

You can write straight on deli containers with a sharpie and it'll come off with a quick scrub. They're the best.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

While a little more expensive, I use mason jars and plastic ball jar lids for my spices.

E. Not saying they are functionally better or anything, just another option

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I use the same jars you linked and they're fine, I refill as needed, but they hold a surprisingly good amount. I am thinking about getting some of these though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079QF67S8/?psc=1

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

One of the big Penzeys sales I just restocked everything I needed in the 1/2 cup jar size + got a bunch of empties and standardized on them.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

4 delis that aren't blue painter's tape. For shame...

Multiple colors aren't bothersome and may serve a purpose that you don't understand. If you're going to critique, like, tape of all things? You could maybe get away with saying the tape isn't cut. Tearing tape off a roll is barbarian behavior IMO when you certainly own AND know how to use both a cutting board and knife, but that's just my opinion.

"Oh yes, royally hosed yet once again, prep is on hiatus until Home Depot restocks"

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

parthenocarpy posted:

Multiple colors aren't bothersome and may serve a purpose that you don't understand. If you're going to critique, like, tape of all things? You could maybe get away with saying the tape isn't cut. Tearing tape off a roll is barbarian behavior IMO when you certainly own AND know how to use both a cutting board and knife, but that's just my opinion.

"Oh yes, royally hosed yet once again, prep is on hiatus until Home Depot restocks"

It was tongue in cheek. They've got a very restaurant kitchen vibe going there, but no restaurant worth frequenting would allow any color other than blue on anything for any reason! A sous at one of my places ordered green once because it was like $0.08 cheaper per roll, and there was nearly a mutiny. His nickname was "green tape" for months.

Cutting tape on a cutting board would also get you yelled at in most places I would assume, unless it was a completely fresh/sanid board. Dispenser or just tear at any place I have been.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This is a bit right

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Blue tape is good because it’s designed to not leave a residue

People who are pro-blue-tape are speaking from experience

mystes
May 31, 2006

I imagine that you can get painter's tape in other colors if you want

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

mystes posted:

I imagine that you can get painter's tape in other colors if you want

You can get frog tape in probably any color but its weird to not use the cheapest (no matter the color but not explicitly branded like in the photo) because it doesn't stick as well for easy removal and since, as far as I've seen, kitchens that care about cut tape enough to matter don't mind shades of blue

If people for some reason like torn tape in identical colors, god bless them. I'm used to dymo labels and cut tape in any color but what do I know, I'm just a dishwasher

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

In a professional kitchen context surely it’s safety/risk related of it being obvious should it enter any food - whenever I worked in food prep we used blue plasters/band-aids for that reason. I expect green would be easy to miss if it somehow wound up in a salad, for example. Same with disposable gloves now that I think about it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is a bit right

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

One place I worked had these cambro labels that were meant to dissolve in the dish pit, and to be fair they mostly did. But they'd leave this scuzzy rectangle that objectively didn't matter but still drove me nuts. I want pristine cambros!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm going 2 blow your minds and tell you the blue tape is bad because they also make a bright green painters tape that's infinitely easier to read due to the contrast with your sharpie:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71QA7aD8FFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to use gorilla tape and silver sharpie directly on food to spite the silliest conversation in this thread I've seen so far.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

wait are you not supposed to eat sharpies? i've been using it as a substitute for licorice

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm still just gobsmacked at the idea of cutting painters tape. What a monstrous suggestion.

mystes
May 31, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

wait are you not supposed to eat sharpies? i've been using it as a substitute for licorice
Use one of those scented markers where the black one was actually licorice scented (do those still exist?)

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm still just gobsmacked at the idea of cutting painters tape. What a monstrous suggestion.

Yeah, if I saw someone lining up tape on their cutting board I’d probably be weirded out and uncomfortable.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's a thing in high level kitchens (like Michelin star level) tape gets cut with scissors for labeling stuff. It makes no sense but when the chef tells you to do it you just go "yes chef"
It becomes a part of the routine after a while to where you don't even think about it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Yes, we all know Michelin stars are formed out of compressed mental illness.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That reminds me of this reddit comment from a year ago in response to a question "What skills are being taught at culinary school that amateur cooks don't know?" which is mostly legit cooking tips but randomly includes that along with a couple other silly ones:

quote:

Bake potatoes on a bed of salt until the skin is crispy, scoop out for the fluffiest mash potatoes and gnocchi.
Pan, parchment, bacon, parchment, pan. Into the oven for flat crisp bacon.
Toss nuts in egg whites and spices before roasting. Egg whites make it stick.
Velvet meats with egg whites, cornstarch and soy before stir frying.
Add salt at the start of blending a pureé because its an abrasive and then pass it thru a chinois by slamming it with a 2 ounce ladle for the smoothest result.
Slice a pile of cherry tomatoes between two pint container lids with one whack of the knife.
A hand blender and a bain marie are completely unnecessary for hollandaise. Cold cubed butter and cold egg yolks in a pan straight onto heat and whisk for your life. Too hot and about to break, ice cubes my friend, ice cubes.
A cake tester inserted into a piece of fish and then held to your top lip, if its hot, its done. Stick it in a potato or brussels sprout to see if they're done.
Salt from a way above for an even coating.
Wet paper towel under a cutting board saves fingers.
Plastic wrap makes a perfectly acceptable belt.
Peel kiwis by sticking a spoon in between flesh and skin.
You: How long should I cook it? Chef: Cook it til its done. Otherwise known as chicken is done when you can twist the leg right out of the socket.
Need to peel a fuckton of garlic? Slam it in between two metal bowls to skin it alive.
Don't bruise your herbs into herb paste, use a sharp knife and slice not squish. When chopping chives the only acceptable width requires splitting atoms.
Used coffee grinds get lovely smells off your hands.
Brining chicken and pork chops is why they taste better in restaurants.
Dead crusty bread can be revived by a quick dunk in water and then popped in the oven upside down so the moisture doesn't stick in the crevices.
Listen to your food. Get to know the sound of the right sizzle for a piece of fish. The moment when pâte à choux is done is when it slaps.
Mount sauces with butter at the last minute for extra silky goodness.
Vinegar in a court bouillon is a hell of a lot cheaper than wine.
Rest cookie dough over night. Help hydrate the flour and results in a less flat cookie.
Dress a salad at the last minute otherwise the acid and salt will break down the cell walls of the greens.
Behold the wonders of Crisp Coat and Batter Bind for frying chicken, xanthan to thicken a too loose sauce, soy lecithin to stabilise foams, Activa to glue meat together.
Store egg yolks and boiled eggs in cold water.
Steaming eggs is a hell of a lot more accurate and painless than boiling them.
Always shock green vegetables in ice water to maintain colour and halt cooking.
Learn the joys of beurre manié and making roux in advance to keep on hand.
Reductions like tarragon, black pepper, shallots and vinegar for bearnaise make the world go round.
Don't sleep on chervil or white soy. Fantastically subtle ingredients.
Label everything and if using tape, cut with scissors. We aren't animals here.
Salt the skin of fish, walk away, come back and pat dry, salt again then into the pan for crispy skin.
Don't cook without shoes.
Breaking down mushrooms with your hands is quicker than a knife.
Always make sure your tongs work by clacking them a few times.
Strip a pineapple with a bread knife.
Tie bouquet garni to the handle of the pan so you don't have to fish it out or forget its there and break the blender by having it wrap around the blade like Ashanti did in the middle of his culinary school final.
Cut cakes with wire or dental floss in a pinch.
Make a cornet out of parchment for piping without wasting a plastic piping bag.
Blanch citrus peels three times to remove the bitterness.
Not quite ripe avocado in the mix, dollop of mayo to help guac along.
Sauce not green enough? Add just enough raw spinach for colour but not so much that you can taste it.
Reduce browning with acidulated water.
Peeling hard boiled quail eggs is torture unless you salt the poo poo out of the water.
Slamming something thru a metal cooling rack is the quickest way to dice something soft like avocado, hard boiled eggs or cooked potatoes.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Brother Tadger posted:

You sell your hot sauce online? Got a link?

https://www.hotsmokedtampa.com

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

mystes posted:

Always make sure your tongs work by clacking them a few times.

It is known

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Break down mushrooms with your hands? How and why

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

Break down mushrooms with your hands? How and why

I assumed it meant taking the stems off.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I worked for chefs who required you to cut tape instead of ripping it and it gets its fingers into you. It is absolutely "a thing" in many fancy schmancy kitchens. Now I required it at the last place I ran and I'll continue to do so at any place I run in the future. No ripping. Get scissors or a knife.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a specific reason no one uses a dispenser? I'm just an enthusiast and not a professional so I literally have no idea what the origins, purpose, or expressed importance of cutting tape are. Kind of just sounds like a military type discipline thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Is there a specific reason no one uses a dispenser? I'm just an enthusiast and not a professional so I literally have no idea what the origins, purpose, or expressed importance of cutting tape are. Kind of just sounds like a military type discipline thing.

It's mostly just a "we do everything properly here" sort of idea I think. It's a no-shortcut mentality that is exemplified elsewhere in the processes you'd see in the same kitchens. Especially if you have young people or new/in-training people, apprentices, etc around it's a matter of saying "hey, here's the right/best way to do something, there is value in doing things properly, let's get in the habit of doing everything we do as well as we can".