Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Alien Isolation was great except for the beginning(medical) and the end. They even had a perfect place to end it before it went bad. Instead they had you do split second shots against tons of face huggers, which left me with a bad overall impression at the end, even if overall it was mostly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So how was The Quarry?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's a bit rocky.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Spider tech is getting pretty advanced. Now i just need a spider-patting game

I would unironically play and enjoy such a game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So how was The Quarry?

Pretty good although the camp counselors act like they're in a rom com most of the time instead of a horror film and three quarters of the ending comes down to single QTE. People say that it's better than Until Dawn but I honestly disagree, it's a bit cleaner mechanically but the plot is not nearly as inspired and there's a lot of self-plagiarism. That said, the creature feature aspect of it is pretty rad.

If you play The Quarry I highly recommend putting on the long QTE option in the accessibility options menu because I did it and I don't know how you could do it any other way.

E. For those who want to discuss The Quarry spoilers, I made a thread for it here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4005073&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 21, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I keep thinking I need to give Alien Isolation another try, they're was so much incredible atmosphere to it. I can't remember the details at this point, but I bowed out somewhere along the way when I got repeatedly frustrated at a sequence trying to deal with other humans. I don't know how much they're in the game, I just remember it felt like a switch to a more generic space game at that point.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Captain Hygiene posted:

I keep thinking I need to give Alien Isolation another try, they're was so much incredible atmosphere to it. I can't remember the details at this point, but I bowed out somewhere along the way when I got repeatedly frustrated at a sequence trying to deal with other humans. I don't know how much they're in the game, I just remember it felt like a switch to a more generic space game at that point.

The score really sets it apart as well as the sound design for me. I feel completely drenched in dread every time I play it and I can forgive it for its faults because it's a masterful experience.

Have you played Blair Witch? Another game that soaks the senses. Though there are some sections that don't play all that well, it also nails the eeriness of being watched by a witch in the woods.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have you played Blair Witch? Another game that soaks the senses. Though there are some sections that don't play all that well, it also nails the eeriness of being watched by a witch in the woods.

I have not, based on the setting it might be too spooky for me :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Alien Isolation is so good, it might just be slightly too long.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
https://twitter.com/aarnomalin/status/1539219566064283656?s=21&t=HyKkVvrW7GeD7X-G3ptkfw

Definitely some interesting stuff, like the rescuing of the daughter basically meant as a trap to waste time.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

CuddleCryptid posted:

If you play The Quarry I highly recommend putting on the long QTE option in the accessibility options menu because I did it and I don't know how you could do it any other way.

What does this do? I think I'm nearing the end of a playthrough and have enjoyed it but it often looks kinda busted on PS5. There's some kind of video filter depth of field stuff that looks blurry and artificial around the characters. Also there has been a few times where subtitles show up even when they're turned off. One time is just said (shocked) at the bottom of the screen and it made me laugh.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jolo posted:

What does this do? I think I'm nearing the end of a playthrough and have enjoyed it but it often looks kinda busted on PS5. There's some kind of video filter depth of field stuff that looks blurry and artificial around the characters. Also there has been a few times where subtitles show up even when they're turned off. One time is just said (shocked) at the bottom of the screen and it made me laugh.

It just makes it so that QTEs have a longer timer on them.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

It just makes it so that QTEs have a longer timer on them.

Ahh I see. I don't think I've missed any except the first one because I thought the prompt was to press circle not to move the stick in a direction. Next playthrough I'm going to do a "no one knows how to catch something tossed to them" run because it happens a bunch of times.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

Most games are too long imo

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Hygiene posted:

It has a dog though.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

bowmore posted:

Most games are too long imo

This sounds like critic talk...

https://twitter.com/TroyBakerVA/status/1277353529791770624?t=oP1AIFZ3Phl1nlsCIizMPw&s=19

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that's a lotta words

too bad I ain't reading em

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

100% convinced that was his table read for MGSV Ocelot

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

You a forest dweller or what? If you like horror it's definitely one to check out. I played it over the course of a couple of nights in the dark upon initial release (I think it was on Game Pass) with a few whiskeys in me for balls. I topped it off watching the original movie and was thrown back 20 years to when I first watched it. I even remembered the creepy sound the website played in the background when you read through the missing persons info. Back in 1999 that was really novel.

The Blair Witch Project lore is pretty interesting beyond what's shown in the movies, and some of the day/night stuff and the time displacement are... not explained, but attention is drawn to them a bit more. I have The Blair Witch Dossier which is pretty cool.

The_Doctor posted:

By the end of it I was glad it was over because my nerves were shot to pieces.

Is there no sequel due to poor sales or something? It's such a pity because it remains the best Alien universe entertainment since 1986.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there no sequel due to poor sales or something? It's such a pity because it remains the best Alien universe entertainment since 1986.

It sold relatively poorly compared to expectations, and the majority of the team no longer works at the studio. So a sequel is unlikely.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

WattsvilleBlues posted:

By the end of it I was glad it was over because my nerves were shot to pieces.

Exactly this. I could only play in 30-45 min sessions because I would be so tense the entire time. 9/10, would induce grey hairs again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It sold relatively poorly compared to expectations, and the majority of the team no longer works at the studio. So a sequel is unlikely.

There were rumors a sequel was in development last year but that's probably just Twitter making poo poo up again

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alien Isolation should have made the xenomorph more child-friendly so that twitch streamers could have made their millions screaming to it instead of FNAF.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gann Jerrod posted:

https://twitter.com/aarnomalin/status/1539219566064283656?s=21&t=HyKkVvrW7GeD7X-G3ptkfw

Definitely some interesting stuff, like the rescuing of the daughter basically meant as a trap to waste time.

Wish more horror games had the weirdness of Harvester. Never cared for the reveal though obviously that was due to the time it was made.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wish more horror games had the weirdness of Harvester. Never cared for the reveal though obviously that was due to the time it was made.

I dunno man, the reveal is the same as the one from the end of the lonely island's "Finest Girl" video, going "whoa, it was all VR/a dream" has never gone out of style

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Len posted:

There were rumors a sequel was in development last year but that's probably just Twitter making poo poo up again

They have occasionally put up job postings for people with experience in designing FPS games or artists with sci-fi experience and such but it's been on and off again for years so people are unsure if it's an Alien Isolation thing or some other thing, some rumors they want to try and jump on the live service bandwagon so could be that if true also.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Exactly this. I could only play in 30-45 min sessions because I would be so tense the entire time. 9/10, would induce grey hairs again.

Glad it's not just me! I couldn't play it after 2100 because I was literally so wound up I couldn't sleep.

I've played through RE7, RE2 and RE3 the past week and am now onto RE4 and... the controls feel awful. I'm sure they were fine for the time but I'm finding it a hard slog to get through and I'm less than an hour in. Is it really worth sticking with?

I'm tempted to get RE8 but it's still quite expensive and lots of games I intend to play end up on Game Pass within a year or so.

thebardyspoon posted:

They have occasionally put up job postings for people with experience in designing FPS games or artists with sci-fi experience and such but it's been on and off again for years so people are unsure if it's an Alien Isolation thing or some other thing, some rumors they want to try and jump on the live service bandwagon so could be that if true also.

I think a service like Game Pass would suit a game like A:I that wouldn't/don't sell all that well individually but can have good engagement numbers. You could imagine a new season or chapter or whatever every few months pushing the story forward rather than the typical model.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 22, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fil5000 posted:

I dunno man, the reveal is the same as the one from the end of the lonely island's "Finest Girl" video, going "whoa, it was all VR/a dream" has never gone out of style

Well the reveal in Harvester is specifically to mock the moral guardians of the time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Well the reveal in Harvester is specifically to mock the moral guardians of the time.

Yeah, it wasn't just that it was all a dream, it was specifically someone being turned into a serial killer by being brainwashed by a violent video game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've played through RE7, RE2 and RE3 the past week and am now onto RE4 and... the controls feel awful. I'm sure they were fine for the time but I'm finding it a hard slog to get through and I'm less than an hour in. Is it really worth sticking with?

I love 4 and think it largely holds up very well, but even then it can take me a good hour or so before the controls really click back into place for me. They're always going to be a bit clunky with how refined things have gotten since then, but I always hit a point where they just start working for me. I'd say keep giving it a shot unless you're just actively hating it.

I think some versions might have an alternate control style to try out too?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Harvester is a brilliant satire of video game protagonists being destructive kleptomaniac buffoons, all the arguments people drag out for Nathan Drake apply to Steve but the game misses the forest for the trees and instead just like "boy moral panic sure is dumb right?"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

al-azad posted:

Harvester is a brilliant satire of video game protagonists being destructive kleptomaniac buffoons, all the arguments people drag out for Nathan Drake apply to Steve but the game misses the forest for the trees and instead just like "boy moral panic sure is dumb right?"

I would disagree with this to a certain extent because the game does definitely reinforce that there really is no good reason to be doing the things you are doing. You carve a path of destruction through the town for the sake of accomplishing a goal that has no value for the player other than everyone in the town keeps calling you stupid for not wanting to do it. At least Drake has a monetary reason to be doing all this destructive stuff, Steve does it because everyone around him is insane and the Lodge leader seems to be the only one with an kind of plan.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I would disagree with this to a certain extent because the game does definitely reinforce that there really is no good reason to be doing the things you are doing. You carve a path of destruction through the town for the sake of accomplishing a goal that has no value for the player other than everyone in the town keeps calling you stupid for not wanting to do it. At least Drake has a monetary reason to be doing all this destructive stuff, Steve does it because everyone around him is insane and the Lodge leader seems to be the only one with an kind of plan.

Steve is definitely closer to an adventure game protagonist back then. Guybrush shipwrecks a bunch of people because he needs to blow up his boat to get to Monkey Island. Gabriel Knight leads several people to their deaths and steals his friends' credit card because he's been having bad dreams. Harvester is a rare adventure game where the NPCs are more insane than the PC but in this case Steve is "normal" and the player is making him do deplorable acts because the lodge apparently has the answers why he's in this Truman Show town.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A reminder that although the blood drive seems like a nonsense task Steve is executed at it if he ignores the primary "goal" of Harvester. It's a bit meta for him to know that before it happens but maybe he picks up on the vibe of the town being insane or shares some meta-knowledge since it's brainwashing VR.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Harvester is a lot more uncomfortable in a bunch of areas with the real life conviction of Steve's actor for possession of child sexual abuse material.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

al-azad posted:

Steve is definitely closer to an adventure game protagonist back then. Guybrush shipwrecks a bunch of people because he needs to blow up his boat to get to Monkey Island. Gabriel Knight leads several people to their deaths and steals his friends' credit card because he's been having bad dreams. Harvester is a rare adventure game where the NPCs are more insane than the PC but in this case Steve is "normal" and the player is making him do deplorable acts because the lodge apparently has the answers why he's in this Truman Show town.

Actually Guybrush doesn't shipwreck the ship until later when, if I remember correctly, he accidentally launches a cannonball from a rubber tree? Getting to Monkey Island just involves doing some magic, getting in a cannon (with appropriate safe headwear) and firing himself at the island.

Edit: This is a pretty high level of pedantry, I am aware.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Also his crew mutineed, so he was ultimately justified in scuttling the ship

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Harvester is a lot more uncomfortable in a bunch of areas with the real life conviction of Steve's actor for possession of child sexual abuse material.

You always were a kidder, Steve.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Gann Jerrod posted:

I unironically adore Harvester and something about its janky rear end animation and overall tone genuinely unsettles me. It's like all the creepypasta inspired games we have now but sincere.

Speaking of, Omori's on Game Pass now and it hosed me up a little. I feel like the pacing was a little uneven but looking it up, apparently some RNG at the start riddled my game with jumpscares. It's one of the better Earthbound clones and it's genuinely charming, and some of the sequences are pretty spooky. The building dread from the last sequence was absolutely nerve-wracking for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I unironically adore Harvester and something about its janky rear end animation and overall tone genuinely unsettles me. It's like all the creepypasta inspired games we have now but sincere.

YES! Right down to it going into full "are you loving kidding me with this poo poo come on lol" territory in the third act. I really do love it.

I do wish it was better, it has such a strong first act.