Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

projecthalaxy posted:

I see. I was just asking because you put

-Get American refineries to up production

As one of your remaining levers and I know there was that announcement that the President was bringing the heads of all the gas companies to the white house to discuss how they're making such profit when Americans are suffering and I wasn't sure if there was a way he could pull the "I am no longer asking" on them

Yeah, it is part of Biden's plan, but it basically amounts to "showing people I am trying" and is not a real thing that will meaningfully bring down oil prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

DeSantis has the same fascist beliefs as Trump only he actually works hard to destroy the lives of the people he governs... and I expect the people of Florida like him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Sounds like we finally hit the Peak Oil we’ve been worrying about for the last couple of decades

Nah. We have plenty of oil. We have oil companies happily rolling in artificially inflated prices to make a buck on a crisis and bemoan the Government.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

Sounds like we finally hit the Peak Oil we’ve been worrying about for the last couple of decades

Unless we manage to somehow discover new sources or dramatically reduce the cost to extract oil, then we already hit peak oil sometime between 2005 and 2011 (depending on how you measure it).

Production is probably going to stay flat or decline year-to-year (barring weird one off events like Covid that plummeted use, but then shot back up) for the foreseeable future, but demand will continue to rise unless the Amish religion really starts to take off in China, India, the U.S., Nigeria, Iran, and Japan in the next 5 years.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 22, 2022

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

For whatever this is worth as a barometer of what extremely politics brained people think, Trump and DeSantis are still neck and neck on PredictIt for the R 2024 nomination, though DeSantis has closed the gap from about 10 cents to basically zero over the last month.

I guess the answer is "neither would defer to the other" but if I was trying to maximize the R votes in 2024, I might look at a Trump/DeSantis or DeSantis/Trump ticket. Are their bases that opposed to each other that a "unity" ticket wouldn't be the best move?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trump will never allow DeSantis/Trump to happen. He’d refuse the offer and whine about unfairness/cheating before accepting a second-fiddle post

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'd assume that a lot of the DeSantis/Trump base cross over and DeSantis hopes that the desire for a "fresh face" or the feeling of enough people that Trump could lose again will carry him.

It seems like DeSantis wants to run regardless of whether Trump decides to run or not, but I would put money on Trump winning the primary if they both run.

Edit: Stuff like this getting mainstream enough to sow doubts is probably DeSantis' only hope if he does run against Trump. I don't know how likely that really is to be the case among Republican primary voters.

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/1539632670988292098

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 22, 2022

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I think about the gas tax thing and see how much it really won’t help to bring prices back down to when they were in the $2.50-$3.50 range and laugh at how the US basically forced everyone to be car-dependent. Just cars to go everywhere, no busses, no trains, no bike paths or even well-designed towns or zoning. Just sticking people in homes that either you drive in a car to get somewhere or you stay at home and go nowhere.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Trump will never allow DeSantis/Trump to happen. He’d refuse the offer and whine about unfairness/cheating before accepting a second-fiddle post

I dunno. Trump might actually think DeSantis would be a good lackey, but that's where the issue would be: I doubt DeSantis would accept a VP only spot, and I doubt Trump would accept it either.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
noteworthy poll for the current discussion.

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1539632046250786816

Desantis can probably dethrone Trump, but Trump will burn him alive in the process.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

I dunno. Trump might actually think DeSantis would be a good lackey, but that's where the issue would be: I doubt DeSantis would accept a VP only spot, and I doubt Trump would accept it either.

That’s what I meant- I don’t know if DeSantis would accept VP, but I am absolutely sure that Trump will not accept VP under any circumstances.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ringo Star Get posted:

I think about the gas tax thing and see how much it really won’t help to bring prices back down to when they were in the $2.50-$3.50 range and laugh at how the US basically forced everyone to be car-dependent. Just cars to go everywhere, no busses, no trains, no bike paths or even well-designed towns or zoning. Just sticking people in homes that either you drive in a car to get somewhere or you stay at home and go nowhere.

It's basically the entire modern world. The U.S. is the most car-dependent, but not outrageously so. The distances in the U.S. compared to Europe can be worse, though.

84.1% of people in the U.S. use a personal car for almost all transportation.

Compared to:

80% in the U.K.
79% E.U. average.
83% in Korea
81% in Japan
84% in Australia

Even China is up to 71.4%.

India is basically the only major country where most people don't use a car.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'd assume that a lot of the DeSantis/Trump base cross over and DeSantis hopes that the desire for a "fresh face" or the feeling of enough people that Trump could lose again will carry him.

DeSantis able to look moderate enough to trick the suburban moderates to vote for Republicans again. He won't tweet and do dumb poo poo, which was the point of contention of the Lincoln project types; that trump was a boor who tweeted too much, never a complaint about his policies.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
In what universe does DeSantis look "moderate"? I don't think you can wage the culture wars to give red meat to their base of degenerates and still claim any semblance of moderation.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mustang posted:

In what universe does DeSantis look "moderate"? I don't think you can wage the culture wars to give red meat to their base of degenerates and still claim any semblance of moderation.

calm hitler.jpg

He bleats about parental rights and just asks questions and 'save the children' and the fig leaves are just enough for barely tuned in suburbanties to be able to nod sagely and go 'he sounds reasonable.'

Same way Youngkin won Virginia.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

That’s what I meant- I don’t know if DeSantis would accept VP, but I am absolutely sure that Trump will not accept VP under any circumstances.

The only way I can see Trump accepting the VP slot is if he tries to steal the 2028 election from both candidates as VP. "I'm going to do what Mike Pence was too weak to do" and all that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mustang posted:

He's not an insane unhinged fascist.

He's just your normal, run of the mill, perfectly sane, hinged fascist.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Fister Roboto posted:

As long as you couch your hatred in neutral language, people will vote for you.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mustang posted:

Trump is in the news for saying outloud racist, sexist, and fascist things and idiotic mouth-vomit that turns off a lot of "moderate Republicans" (in quotes because there actually is no such thing). DeSantis is not in the news for these things, so DeSantis looks moderate by comparison, and he will attract these people.

You also need to remember that despite Trump being Trump openly and publicly, almost half the voters voted for him and he got more voters the second time.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mustang posted:

the same/this one where Biden is a super commie.

its not just Fox/The Regressive Bubble that truely believes these two facts.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

DeSantis isn't even a real fascist. He is whatever the polls say Republicans want to hear at any given moment. He's like a puppet but the puppeteer is newsmax

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

It seems like DeSantis wants to run regardless of whether Trump decides to run or not, but I would put money on Trump winning the primary if they both run.

Yeah Primary Trump is a different beast entirely, he just tore through the leagues of empty suits like a knife through hot butter.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

DeSantis looks moderate compared to Trump.

That's it, that's the whole thing.

By making open mocking racism a pillar of the new Republican party they've made it real easy to pull the whole country right. It's terrifying.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I absolutely believe that the majority of the GOP establishment are desperately hoping they can pivot to DeSantis, and are trying to figure out the exact moment where they can do that while causing the minimum amount of backlash from Trump. I still have no idea what that moment would be, though, since Trump's spite seems inexhaustible and he obviously doesn't give a crap about what's best for the party. Sadly, if I'm being honest, that's also basically the only thing giving me hope for the 2024 election. I think DeSantis could probably trounce Biden pretty easily if Trump would let him.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Yinlock posted:

Yeah Primary Trump is a different beast entirely, he just tore through the leagues of empty suits like a knife through hot butter.

That Trump was also 4 years younger than 2020 Trump, 8 years younger than 2024 Trump.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also Trump may be the one person dumb / vain / greedy enough to attempt a 3rd party run after losing the primary, even if he’s not allowed on tons of ballets due to sore loser laws.

If he can sink the person who “steals” the nomination from him and grift the hell out of the race he will 100% do it. Hell he may even brag about it during the primary to try and bully his way to the top.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

He's not an insane unhinged fascist.

basically, if you remember the people talking about how once Trump was impeached, democrats would at least be able to work with Mike Pence as a decent man with whom they had some disagreements, you know DeSantis' target market

all the same nightmarish beliefs, but if they're presented in a slightly more decorous wrapper, there's a type of person who will kick back, relax, and figure the serious problem has been solved.

it's amazing, it's been six years and we're still finding new ways that the Hillary campaign's strategy of painting Trump as 'not even a Republican' hosed us all

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also Trump may be the one person dumb / vain / greedy enough to attempt a 3rd party run after losing the primary, even if he’s not allowed on tons of ballets due to sore loser laws.

If he can sink the person who “steals” the nomination from him and grift the hell out of the race he will 100% do it. Hell he may even brag about it during the primary to try and bully his way to the top.

I can absolutely 100% see him trying to pull this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kramer had previously said that he would give an arm and a leg to ban abortion and that the U.S. has normalized perversion and perverted God's natural law.

The Supreme Court might drop the abortion ruling this Friday. I would keep an eye on Kramer's legs this week if you believe in fate.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1539639301322989576

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Even if he doesn't run 3rd party, I could maybe see him saying something like "Real Americans wanted me to run again but the swamp decided to put DeSantis instead. Just stay home! Bye-bye!" or similar and having a similar effect of turning off some R votes

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
If Trump is still alive and marginally functional in 2024 he's either going to run for President or they're going to have to find some way to appease his ego which, good luck. It's pretty clear what he actually wants to do is travel around holding rallies and also internationally being fawned over by world leaders. He could kinda do that as VP but I doubt he'd accept as that is explicitly a subordinate position to POTUS.

IMO the strongest GOP ticket in 2024 would be DeSantis/Noem with Trump throwing his support behind them. Both DeSantis and Noem can sound "reasonable" and could be effective at unifying the Trump-loving base and the smaller number of older-school business Republicans and donors who have broken with Trump. I dunno how they thread the needle on having Donnie's support while giving him some kind of position that would satisfy his ego.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I feel like DeSantis is a much more dangerous president than Trump. Being able to accomplish just as fascist things with less of a veneer of bombastic idiot-ness. Am I overthinking that?

He does seem to be hot-headed though so maybe that would make him more prone to campaign ending gaffes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kramer had previously said that he would give an arm and a leg to ban abortion and that the U.S. has normalized perversion and perverted God's natural law.

The Supreme Court might drop the abortion ruling this Friday. I would keep an eye on Kramer's legs this week if you believe in fate.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1539639301322989576

How typical, they promise you an arm and just deliver a hand.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

If Trump is still alive and marginally functional in 2024 he's either going to run for President or they're going to have to find some way to appease his ego which, good luck. It's pretty clear what he actually wants to do is travel around holding rallies and also internationally being fawned over by world leaders.

I know its even lower than VP but that kinda sounds like what Sec State or UN Envoy does?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fritz the Horse posted:

If Trump is still alive and marginally functional in 2024 he's either going to run for President or they're going to have to find some way to appease his ego which, good luck. It's pretty clear what he actually wants to do is travel around holding rallies and also internationally being fawned over by world leaders. He could kinda do that as VP but I doubt he'd accept as that is explicitly a subordinate position to POTUS.

IMO the strongest GOP ticket in 2024 would be DeSantis/Noem with Trump throwing his support behind them. Both DeSantis and Noem can sound "reasonable" and could be effective at unifying the Trump-loving base and the smaller number of older-school business Republicans and donors who have broken with Trump. I dunno how they thread the needle on having Donnie's support while giving him some kind of position that would satisfy his ego.

Trump would never agree to be VICE anything. His whole deal is being the center of attention and The Most Important Guy

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The FDA makes the nicotine reduction rule for cigarettes official today with more information.

- Public comment on the rule will be begin in May 2023.
- Initial planned implementation could be early 2024.
- The current proposal being floated is a 95% minimum reduction in nicotine content for cigarettes.

Literally every major U.S. tobacco manufacturer has already stated that they will sue to prevent the rule. Altria and R.J. Reynolds already say that making cigarettes entirely unappealing to adults is a de facto ban and violates federal tobacco control law that prevents the government from fully banning tobacco products.

So, it seems unlikely that the initial implementation date of 2024 will be the actual implementation date.

quote:

The Food and Drug Administration is planning to require tobacco companies to slash the amount of nicotine in traditional cigarettes to make them less addictive and reduce the toll of smoking that claims 480,000 lives each year.

The proposal, which could take years to go into effect, would put the United States at the forefront of global antismoking efforts. Only one other nation, New Zealand, has advanced such a plan.

quote:

The headwinds are fierce. Tobacco companies have already indicated that any plan with significant reductions in nicotine would violate the law. And some conservative lawmakers might consider such a policy another example of government overreach, ammunition that could spill over into the midterm elections.

quote:

“This one rule could have the greatest impact on public health in the history of public health,” said Mitch Zeller, the recently retired F.D.A. tobacco center director. “That’s the scope and the magnitude we’re talking about here because tobacco use remains the leading cause of preventable disease and death.”

About 1,300 people die prematurely each day of smoking-related causes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

quote:

The F.D.A. would likely have to overcome opposition from the tobacco industry, which has already begun pointing out the reasons the agency cannot upend an $80 billion market. Legal challenges could take years to resolve, and the agency may give the industry five or more years to make the changes.

quote:

A statement from the tobacco company Altria, the maker of Marlboro, offered a preview of arguments that opponents are expected to make against any rule that drastically slashes nicotine levels. “The focus should be less on taking products away from adult smokers and more on providing them a robust marketplace of reduced harm FDA-authorized smoke-free products,” the company said in a statement on Tuesday. “Today marks the start of a long-term process, which must be science-based and account for potentially serious unintended consequences.”

RAI Services, the parent company of RJ Reynolds, declined to comment on the announcement, but said: “Our belief is that tobacco harm reduction is the best way forward to reduce the health impacts of smoking.”

Altria and RAI Services have previously warned that a standard that makes tobacco unappealing to adult smokers would be considered a cigarette ban and would violate tobacco control laws.

“Both an express and a de facto ban would have precisely the same effect — both would eviscerate Congress’s expressly stated purpose ‘to permit the sale of tobacco products to adults,’” according to a letter in 2018 from RAI Services to the F.D.A. about an earlier proposal.

quote:

A 2018 study led by Dr. Hatsukami that followed the habits of 1,250 smokers found that participants who had been randomly assigned cigarettes with ultralow nicotine smoked less and exhibited fewer signs of dependency than those who had been given cigarettes with nicotine levels that were gradually reduced over the course of 20 weeks.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1539358919285477379

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BonoMan posted:

I feel like DeSantis is a much more dangerous president than Trump. Being able to accomplish just as fascist things with less of a veneer of bombastic idiot-ness. Am I overthinking that?

He does seem to be hot-headed though so maybe that would make him more prone to campaign ending gaffes.

He wouldn't get mad about CNN/MSNBC/etc the same way Trump does so if nothing else there'd be far less pushback from those outlets. He'd do the same heinous poo poo but in a "respectable" way.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

https://www.pbs.org/weta/washingtonweek/blog-post/what-are-superdelegates-and-yes-republicans-have-them-too

I was curious if the Republican primaries have super delegates too like people always talk about for the Democratic primaries "putting their thumb on the scale" if the RNC establishment wanted either DeSantis or Trump to win an open conflict and yes they do but at least as of 2018 there were less of them than the Democratic primaries and they were required to honor/follow their home state's primary results so that seems less doable. I guess if the RNC goes to an "brokered ballot" (i think thats the name where nobody wins?) they can just do whatever though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The NLRB has accused Starbucks of "extensive illegal activity" and violating labor laws with its attempt to stop unionization.

The NLRB is going to federal court to seek permission to temporarily gain control of 150 Starbucks locations and force the company to reinstate workers they fired or disciplined in retaliation for union organizing.

If you live in New York, Arizona, or Missouri, then you might briefly have a literal government-run Starbucks in your neighborhood.

https://twitter.com/noamscheiber/status/1539659043241078784

quote:

Labor Agency Seeks Broad Order Against Starbucks in Federal Court

Federal labor regulators have asked a court to force Starbucks to stop what they say is extensive illegal activity in response to a nationwide campaign in which workers at more than 150 corporate-owned stores have voted to unionize.

In a petition filed Tuesday with U.S. District Court in Buffalo, officials with the National Labor Relations Board accused the company of firing and disciplining union supporters; intimidating and threatening workers to discourage them from voting for the union; and effectively offering benefits to workers if they opposed the union.

The agency is also seeking the reinstatement of seven Buffalo-area employees who, it said, Starbucks had illegally forced out in retaliation for their union-organizing activities, and an order effectively recognizing the union in a Buffalo-area store where the union lost a vote despite strong initial support.

The agency said in its filings that the court’s intervention was necessary to stop Starbucks’s “virulent, widespread, and well-orchestrated response to employees’ protected organizing efforts” and that without the proposed remedies, Starbucks would “accomplish its unlawful objective of chilling union support, both in Buffalo and nationwide.”

Reggie Borges, a Starbucks spokesman, rejected the accusations. “As we have said previously, we believe these claims are false and will be prepared to defend our case,” Mr. Borges wrote in an email.

Matt Bodie, a former lawyer for the labor board who teaches labor law at St. Louis University, said it was not unusual for the agency to seek reinstatement of ousted workers. But he said the nationwide breadth of the injunction the agency is seeking was far less common, as was the request for the court to order recognition of a union at a store where the union initially lost its election.

“It’s a big step in line with the Biden board’s commitment to a more rigorous and aggressive approach to labor law enforcement,” Mr. Bodie wrote in an email.

The labor board has already issued more than 30 formal complaints finding merit in allegations similar to the ones it cataloged in its petition on Tuesday. It typically takes months or years to adjudicate such complaints, and the board asserted that allowing the process to run its course while the company continues to break the law would “cement this chill and nullify the impact of a final remedy.”

The agency said that unlawful anti-union activity began shortly after workers in Buffalo went public with their union campaign in late August, and that it escalated after two Buffalo-area stores won union votes in December. It said Starbucks had forced out several union supporters for violating rules that the company had not previously enforced.

The company “quickly jettisoned its past practices to target union supporters more effectively,” the labor board wrote.

A federal judge recently denied the labor board’s request to reinstate pro-union workers it said Starbucks had unlawfully forced out in a similar, if narrower, case in Arizona.

The judge found that in the case of two workers, there was not evidence of retaliation for union activities, or the evidence was “inconsistent” with the accusations.

In the case of a third worker, the judge found that both sides had arguments supporting their positions and that an administrative proceeding might ultimately show that Starbucks sought to retaliate over the worker’s union activities. But the judge concluded that Starbucks would have fired the worker even absent her union involvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

projecthalaxy posted:

I know its even lower than VP but that kinda sounds like what Sec State or UN Envoy does?

Yeah that crossed my mind too. I mean, it's all speculation, maybe making him "Special America First Envoy" and Sec of State where Trump just gets to travel around giving rallies and meeting with foreign heads of state would be sufficient? While DeSantis constantly praises and gives lip service to deferring to Trump's America First agenda?

Srice posted:

He wouldn't get mad about CNN/MSNBC/etc the same way Trump does so if nothing else there'd be far less pushback from those outlets. He'd do the same heinous poo poo but in a "respectable" way.

Right, which is why I threw Noem in there as a "good" VP pick for DeSantis. They both can sound pretty reasonable. IMO Noem is a particular threat to trans rights and culture war issues, she's been a big "womens' rights" anti-trans sports politician and anti-CRT stuff too. Mind you, this is pretty close to a nightmare scenario, but I think they could use Noem to help push a "feminist/pro-women/anti-grooming" culture war agenda.