Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Major shot across the bow here; sounds like Sanders is ready to stop lending credibility to the Dems

https://twitter.com/berniesanders/status/1539660479001694210?s=21&t=H7ukhLKFj0CpFgP0gVZuiA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
he'll be saying vote for whichever dem come election time, so a shot that can and will be ignored

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

I feel like DeSantis is a much more dangerous president than Trump. Being able to accomplish just as fascist things with less of a veneer of bombastic idiot-ness. Am I overthinking that?

He does seem to be hot-headed though so maybe that would make him more prone to campaign ending gaffes.

Trump murdered a foreign head of state and bragged about it on Twitter. He also suggested we use nukes against hurricanes.

So yeah, depends on what your definition of "dangerous" is.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Trump murdered a foreign head of state and bragged about it on Twitter. He also suggested we use nukes against hurricanes.

He murdered a foreign politician/military general, but he wasn't a head of state. The head of state in Iran is officially the President, but really it's the head of the Supreme Council.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

noteworthy poll for the current discussion.

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1539632046250786816

Desantis can probably dethrone Trump, but Trump will burn him alive in the process.

I maintain all it will take is one "witty" nickname for DeSantis at a rally or on the debate stage and DeSantis is toast. DeSantis is a ruthlessly efficient governor but he does not have the cult of personality.

And NH is all about not saying the quiet part too loud. DeSantis can certainly win the state, but I wouldn't count on him winning it all at the moment.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 22, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's some interesting things about that New Hampshire poll.

- Biden is actually slightly less popular than Trump in NH, but still wins by almost the exact same margin against Trump as he did in 2020.

- Biden is within the MoE against DeSantis, though.

- Fox News viewers and right-wing radio listeners actually prefer DeSantis much more than Trump. The "normal" Republicans prefer Trump more.

- DeSantis is the only potential 2024 candidate that doesn't have over 50% disapproval among New Hampshire voters.

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1539641869545512961
https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1539640732423790595

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Trump murdered a foreign head of state and bragged about it on Twitter.

Really, the only thing notable about that is the use of Twitter rather than television. Remember Gaddafi? And we've had to worry about psychopaths nuking everybody since Nixon. The most atypical thing about Trump was that he was so boorish that people noticed the fascist elements; DeSantis would be able to operate more quietly.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BonoMan posted:

I feel like DeSantis is a much more dangerous president than Trump. Being able to accomplish just as fascist things with less of a veneer of bombastic idiot-ness. Am I overthinking that?

He does seem to be hot-headed though so maybe that would make him more prone to campaign ending gaffes.

100%

DeSantis has come through the pandemic looking pretty good, and I’d imagine lots of moderates think he has the right approach to things. He frames his positions in a “common sense” way that appeals to low info voters (eg: “I just don’t think we should be allowing MEN to play in WOMEN’S sport leagues!!”). I’ve even seen papers like the Washington Post publish “DeSantis was right!” op eds.

He terrifies me, my only hope is that he’s too charismatic to beat Trump. His voice is really whiny :D

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

He also suggested we use nukes against hurricanes.

Don’t worry, our beloved democrats quickly passed legislation outlawing such a thing :rolleyes:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Really, the only thing notable about that is the use of Twitter rather than television. Remember Gaddafi? And we've had to worry about psychopaths nuking everybody since Nixon. The most atypical thing about Trump was that he was so boorish that people noticed the fascist elements; DeSantis would be able to operate more quietly.

Having the citizens of a country kill their leader after supporting their side rebellion/civil war is a whole lot different than bombing a foreign government official while they are in an allied country without even telling the ally.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Oracle posted:

I can absolutely 100% see him trying to pull this.

Why? It would bruise his ego even more. Unless he is going to attempt again to launch a media empire, he can comfortably complain the whole time while the GOP give him treats to calm him down.

Trump was just the appetizer for fascism and it’s the worst timeline that Biden won. If Trump would have won then the battles that were happening would have continued. Instead all the libs “went back to brunch” so to speak and DeSantis will look tastefully moderate and easily slide into victory.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rupert Murdoch is getting divorced for the 4th time and he, his soon to be ex-wife, and his oldest son Lachlan are fighting over Fox News and the Wall Street Journal.

Which, seems a little silly considering Murdoch is 91 and they will be fighting over the trust that owns the parent companies of Fox and the WSJ in a few years.

quote:

Some people close to Mr. Murdoch were surprised to hear of his split from Ms. Hall.

I am personally shocked that a marriage between a 91-year old billionaire who married a model 30 years younger than him only lasted a few years.

https://twitter.com/jimrutenberg/status/1539667769821564929

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I wonder what the road to tobacco and nicotine legalization would look like if they hadn't existed until now and some company came out with them last week? Like, pretend, RJ Reynolds never existed but just yesterday came out with this burning smoke stick that injected tar into your lungs. Or if a black guy invented it.

I'm against most forms of prohibition and think that public education about smoking and its dangers has worked really well. Pretty sure that smoking in the US is far lower than most other countries so mostly I'm in favor of keeping on doing that as opposed to possibly creating a black market or criminal ring around it. I dunno...

Its so crazy. I'm 55 years old and remember people smoking on airplanes, in movie theaters, HOSPITALS, waiting tables with smoking and non smoking sections, my parents and grandparents smoking in cars with the windows rolled up and even smoking in the house. I still (stupidly) smoke but now I might as well as be a leper, and rightfully so.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BiggerBoat posted:

I wonder what the road to tobacco and nicotine legalization would look like if they hadn't existed until now and some company came out with them last week? Like, pretend, RJ Reynolds never existed but just yesterday came out with this burning smoke stick that injected tar into your lungs. Or if a black guy invented it.

I'm against most forms of prohibition and think that public education about smoking and its dangers has worked really well. Pretty sure that smoking in the US is far lower than most other countries so mostly I'm in favor of keeping on doing that as opposed to possibly creating a black market or criminal ring around it. I dunno...

Its so crazy. I'm 55 years old and remember people smoking on airplanes, in movie theaters, HOSPITALS, waiting tables with smoking and non smoking sections, my parents and grandparents smoking in cars with the windows rolled up and even smoking in the house. I still (stupidly) smoke but now I might as well as be a leper, and rightfully so.

I can't remember who said it, but someone said that alcohol and cigarettes would never be legal if they were invented today and you had news reports about "the new drug sweeping the nation that kills half a million people per year, is insanely addictive, is the #1 cause of auto fatalities, and can give you cancer even if you don't use it just by being in the same room as someone who does."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Democrats are expected to finalize their primary reform plans at the DNC summer meeting and then have a final vote on the new rules and primary states for 2024.

The big changes are:

- Effectively ending Super Delegates by not allowing them to pledge before the convention and only allowing them to vote for whoever they want if nobody receives a majority on the first ballot.

- Increasing the number of early primary states to 5 (from 4) and rotating the first 5 states.

- Giving preference for the early 5 states to states with:

1) Ethnically diverse voting populations.
2) Accessible ballot laws (this includes favoring primaries over caucuses)
3) Urban/rural diversity.
4) General election competitiveness.
5) Higher union representation.
6) Geographical diversity (i.e. At least one state from different regions)

So far, 16 states, Puerto Rico, and Democrats Abroad (lol) have submitted letters of intent asking to be one of the first 5 primary states.

Iowa has submitted one, but is most likely already eliminated because they are insisting on holding a caucus, have low union membership, are not ethnically diverse, and are less competitive in the general election.

Michigan seems to be the favorite to be the new first primary. Nevada also seems almost assured to be keeping an early spot.

New Hampshire and South Carolina have also submitted to keep their early spots, but there seems to be a little more division about them. Iowa is the only current early state that is basically 100% eliminated already.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised so many states are competing to get in early for 2024. There is no rule that says a state that made it into the first 5 last cycle can't be in the first 5 in the next primary cycle, but unless Biden dies in the next 18 months, there is not going to be a competitive primary in 2024. Seems like it would make more sense to shoot for 2028. I feel like there will be pressure to put at least a new state or two in each cycle (even though there is no rule saying they have to swap states each cycle) and 2024 is kind of wasting it.

My vote goes to Democrats Abroad as the new first primary for comedy purposes.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1539677126735138818

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Democrats are expected to finalize their primary reform plans at the DNC summer meeting and then have a final vote on the new rules and primary states for 2024.

The big changes are:

- Effectively ending Super Delegates by not allowing them to pledge before the convention and only allowing them to vote for whoever they want if nobody receives a majority on the first ballot.

- Increasing the number of early primary states to 5 (from 4) and rotating the first 5 states.

- Giving preference for the early 5 states to states with:

So far, 16 states, Puerto Rico, and Democrats Abroad (lol) have submitted letters of intent asking to be one of the first 5 primary states.

Iowa has submitted one, but is most likely already eliminated because they are insisting on holding a caucus, have low union membership, are not ethnically diverse, and are less competitive in the general election.

Michigan seems to be the favorite to be the new first primary. Nevada also seems almost assured to be keeping an early spot.

New Hampshire and South Carolina have also submitted to keep their early spots, but there seems to be a little more division about them. Iowa is the only current early state that is basically 100% eliminated already.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised so many states are competing to get in early for 2024. There is no rule that says a state that made it into the first 5 last cycle can't be in the first 5 in the next primary cycle, but unless Biden dies in the next 18 months, there is not going to be a competitive primary in 2024. Seems like it would make more sense to shoot for 2028. I feel like there will be pressure to put at least a new state or two in each cycle (even though there is no rule saying they have to swap states each cycle) and 2024 is kind of wasting it.

My vote goes to Democrats Abroad as the new first primary for comedy purposes.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1539677126735138818

New Jersey is *right there*

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Meatball posted:

New Jersey is *right there*

They applied.

They fall in the "Northeast" geographic area, which doesn't actually have a lot of competition. It's just New Jersey, New York, and New Hampshire.

New Jersey is trying hard to sell itself too:

quote:

New Jersey is leaning into its diversity and its compactness, arguing that candidates can quickly and efficiently stump throughout the state.

“That’s 50 years of doing the same thing, and when you do the same thing, you typically get the same result,” said New Jersey Democratic Party Chair LeRoy Jones. “Now, it’s time to recalibrate, change the script and New Jersey fits.”

quote:

"New Jersey has rural, it has urban, it has racial diversity, it has multiple cities with over a million people, it has the biggest farming industry for several types of agriculture, and New Jersey has been there for the United States and for the Democratic party throughout history. It's New Jersey's time."

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

Nevada Republicans are sending the absolutely worst people they can to the general election.

https://twitter.com/AaronDFordNV/status/1539010853789257729?s=20&t=SAFmOu7b5pUn68HDmK-YIg

guaranteed that she is a FUNDIE too, the chuds always are.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Mendrian posted:

DeSantis looks moderate compared to Trump.

That's it, that's the whole thing.

By making open mocking racism a pillar of the new Republican party they've made it real easy to pull the whole country right. It's terrifying.

Youngkin in Virginia all over again.

"NYT posted:

One of the things you also said in the memo was that McAuliffe’s strategy of linking Mr. Youngkin to former President Donald Trump was ineffective. What in the conversations with your groups made that clear?

The respondents kind of laughed at that approach. They said, “Oh, these silly ads that compared Youngkin to Trump — he just doesn’t seem like that guy.” The thing that these people disliked about Trump was that they didn’t like Donald Trump the person; it wasn’t Donald Trump the constellation of policies. That may very well have been the best message that McAuliffe had, but if we are in that position again, we’re going to lose a ton of races. We’ve got to have something better.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/02/us/politics/midterm-election-polls.html

No one cared that Trump was a maniac, they cared that he acted like a maniac. Just like his own base loves him because he yells a lot and looks like he's owning the libs, but they wouldn't be able to name three of his policies and legislative accomplishments. It's all surface level presentation. The reason those voters didn't dislike Trump's policies is because they couldn't even tell you what any of his policies were, voters don't even know that the President doesn't control gas prices with giant levers in his desk.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 23, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Dangerous in the sense that he can likely get even MORE done based on the veneer of doing it in a less bombastic way.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

They applied.

They fall in the "Northeast" geographic area, which doesn't actually have a lot of competition. It's just New Jersey, New York, and New Hampshire.

New Jersey is trying hard to sell itself too:

but this would violate the anicent pacts of NJ getting the landfills and dumps of the area, while NY, DC, and etc gets the human trash of bankers, lawyers, and politicians/diplomats/lobbists?

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 22, 2022

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
give alabama one of the first primary status so I can go and watch the circus firsthand

No other reason but its a good one

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

World Famous W posted:

give alabama one of the first primary status so I can go and watch the circus firsthand

No other reason but its a good one

They didn't apply.

Georgia, South Carolina, and Texas are competing for the Southeast region.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
whether they applied or not does not change my desires :colbert:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Maybe someone will finally pay some loving attention to Washington State.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BiggerBoat posted:

Trump would never agree to be VICE anything. His whole deal is being the center of attention and The Most Important Guy

this. i suspect trump will try to start his run "soonish"(either july or right before/after midterm) i think trump beats desantis because he is the OG chud and not some weird ghoul who barely won his last race. i think desantis also runs into alot of issues trump does in the general too but he doesnt have trumps hosed up "charisma" and desantis is just famous for (outside chud circles) as some giant bigoted rear end in a top hat who hosed up covid and went after kids and teachers and disney over turning red and more importantly, he acts like a giant dickhead.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 22, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Solkanar512 posted:

Maybe someone will finally pay some loving attention to Washington State.

They submitted for the "West" region.

Colorado, Nevada, Washington, and Nebraska are in the running for that slot.

This is the full list of applicants. The final decisions for each region will be made on July 8th and 9th.

quote:

Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, Washington, Puerto Rico, and Democrats Abroad.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 22, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

-Blackadder- posted:

Youngkin in Virginia all over again.

No one cared that Trump was a maniac, they cared that he acted like a maniac. Just like his own base loves him because he yells a lot and looks like he's owning the libs, but they wouldn't be able to name three of his policies and legislative accomplishments. It's all surface level presentation. Those voters didn't dislike Trump's policies because voters don't even know that the President doesn't control gas prices with giant levers in his desk.

younkin won because he played the moderate and didnt bang the openly socialy conservative dickhead drum as loud and hid it behind buzzwords and the fact that tmac hosed up and younkin kept trump away for the most part.

GOP wins the general in a heartbeat if they get a dude who can pretend to be actually moderate. the problem is those folks don't win the primary outside rigging the game(like youngkin did).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The 8th Circuit ruled against a man who had sued a state saying that forcing him to sign a pledge not to boycott Israel does not violate the 1st Amendment.

https://twitter.com/juliabacha/status/1539673632062013446?s=21&t=_VlQaXPYfWmTrEnesmTn7w

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Colorado should be in the first 5 for sure. We're a trifecta blue state in the middle of a sea of red.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Colorado should be in the first 5 for sure. We're a trifecta blue state in the middle of a sea of red.

Does Colorado or Washington have better regional fair food that is disgusting, but people have to pretend to like because locals insist it is actually great?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
all fair food is good and to pretend otherwise marks you as a traitor of the working class

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

World Famous W posted:

all fair food is good and to pretend otherwise marks you as a traitor of the working class

Even "Salad on a Stick"?

Or deep fried bubble gum?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Does Colorado or Washington have better regional fair food that is disgusting, but people have to pretend to like because locals insist it is actually great?

World Famous W posted:

:hmmyes: or diabetic.

We have all the standard fair food, lots of craft beer, and even more weed. Our airport is likely central to the Illuminati's plans of world domination and it is protected by a giant blue demon horse with red eyes named Blucifer. Blucifer murdered his creator only to be displayed as a warning to others that dare wander into the weird depths of the airport.

There's also a weird regional game called cornholing that everyone loves for some reason where you throw a beanbag into a board with holes in it while drinking lots.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

He killed the leader of Iran's Quds Force, not a head of state

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

That's a perfectly acceptable Italian appetizer made mobile. Whatever state is responsible for this deserves a seat at the table imgo*

(not a typo, the g = Gabbagoolean)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

That's a perfectly acceptable Italian appetizer made mobile. Whatever state is responsible for this deserves a seat at the table imgo*

(not a typo, the g = Gabbagoolean)

That would be called a Caprese kabob in the west. Tomato with mozzarella and basil is basically a side dish. they even drizzled some balsamic and olive oil on there for you.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Even "Salad on a Stick"?

Or deep fried bubble gum?

Yeah?

I can actively feel my life getting worse for not having tried deep fried bubblegum yet

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

We have this, and it's loving awesome and found pretty much everywhere.

Bask in it's glory, a meal fit for the everyman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That would be called a Caprese kabob in the west. Tomato with mozzarella and basil is basically a side dish. they even drizzled some balsamic on there for you.

It's the exact kind of thing that you can grab on the way out the door to a shakedown, and then have a sharp pointy object at the ready when it comes time to convince your uh...client...to pay their debts.