Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

standard.deviant posted:

I didn’t realize Springsteen did that these days.

:ocelot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

standard.deviant posted:

I didn’t realize Springsteen did that these days.

Russian tanker: "whoa oh oh I'm on fire"

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Grip it and rip it posted:

I think concerns over advanced technology being recovered by Russia outweighs the value of actual combat testing

Yeah, but what about Russian tech getting near-peer tested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FwDMzIbZrg

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
who gave Bomber Harris ALL the F-16s?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

IPCRESS posted:

Yeah, but what about Russian tech getting near-peer tested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FwDMzIbZrg

Lmao

I cannot think of a situation even if you insane enough to build it where that would ever be better than just hundreds of cheap suicide drones but I guess the Russian MOD needs to give out defense contractor welfare just like the DOD rather than refine practical solutions that are being employed against them and basically every major military with insane effectiveness.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

IPCRESS posted:

Posting Dahir insaat is cheating lmao.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I like the part where the long range bombers weren't being staged from air bases in CONUS.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

IPCRESS posted:

That's amazing. What's the Russian word for "wunderwaffen"?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gird deletion time!

https://twitter.com/samramani2/status/1539973022899003401?s=21&t=ltGy04VCBjIiK9S169oQxg

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Snake island is going to be spicy

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Is HIMARS the one that can deploy loitering munitions that will make it much more difficult for the Russians to concentrate force?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Fearless posted:

Is HIMARS the one that can deploy loitering munitions that will make it much more difficult for the Russians to concentrate force?

No. It shoots guided rockets, which should be called missiles but aren’t for stupid and illogical reasons.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Lmao

I cannot think of a situation even if you insane enough to build it where that would ever be better than just hundreds of cheap suicide drones but I guess the Russian MOD needs to give out defense contractor welfare just like the DOD rather than refine practical solutions that are being employed against them and basically every major military with insane effectiveness.

It's not real though.

Dahir Insaat is what happens when you keep on drawing cool weapons like an eight year old, but graduate from crayons to a 3D rendering software.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dahir Insaat is a great rabbit hole to fall down. Total lunacy from top to bottom, I'm personally a fan of the gigantic Bed/Sarcophagus combo.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Tank shells on a rising armature that fire outside of a barrel with no ignition system was always my favorite

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TCD posted:

Snake island is going to be spicy

Spicy with a side of steel rain.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Spicy with a side of steel rain.

Well they are metal boxes after all...

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Stravag posted:

Tank shells on a rising armature that fire outside of a barrel with no ignition system was always my favorite

It's a humble detail, but my favorite is during the quadcopter attack on the entire US air force one of the US air defense systems successfully launches a missile. Which is never seen again. It went to live on a farm upstate I guess.

Well, that and the getaway motorcycles.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stravag posted:

The fact that they couldn't be arsed to model their own ATGM and just used a 40mm Bofors round is like the least problematic thing in that one.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Madurai posted:

The fact that they couldn't be arsed to model their own ATGM and just used a 40mm Bofors round is like the least problematic thing in that one.

Im not saying it was the worst just that it was always my favorite part of that one.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Uncle Enzo posted:

It's a humble detail, but my favorite is during the quadcopter attack on the entire US air force one of the US air defense systems successfully launches a missile. Which is never seen again. It went to live on a farm upstate I guess.

Well, once you’ve figured out where the missile isn’t

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we will defeat the west with hopes and dreams

our ideas men will blot out the sun

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Dahir Insaat is the kind of stuff I'd think up when daydreaming at school in 5th grade I love it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Madurai posted:

bofors deez nuts

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

you don't put caviar on a slice of bread

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Dahir Insaat is the kind of stuff I'd think up when daydreaming at school in 5th grade I love it.

The comically impractical musings of a stoner armchair general inventor. There is a certain charm.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arrath posted:

The comically impractical musings of a stoner armchair general inventor. There is a certain charm.

I mean, what else is Patreon for

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Looks like they nabbed a high ranking member of the Russian occupation administration in Kherson (essentially the head of the Putin Youth).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f088eb951438602

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 24, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1540195160310665217?s=20&t=T0apmsSTA9plaqWb6Ydt-g

lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Brilliant failure mode

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiny Timbs posted:

Brilliant failure mode

Who designed that, the US Navy?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ruBLgDuWkU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Wtf did it home on the emitter?

"failed launches" should go dead and dumb, that very clearly locked on to something and did what it was supposed to do (though clearly not to what it was supposed to do it to)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Wtf did it home on the emitter?

"failed launches" should go dead and dumb, that very clearly locked on to something and did what it was supposed to do (though clearly not to what it was supposed to do it to)

It didn't go backwards.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CainFortea posted:

It didn't go backwards.

It did a u-turn and went right back where it came from like it had a track, not sure what you mean by not going backwards.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jarmak posted:

It did a u-turn and went right back where it came from like it had a track, not sure what you mean by not going backwards.

It was going away from the launcher at all times until it impacted the ground. The thing you are saying it did, it did not do. From the missile's perspective, it was going up at an incline, then went down and to the left. Still traveling forward.

You will notice that all the sparks are traveling towards the camera on impact. It wouldn't do that if it was going away from the camera.

Edit: Also also, look at the illumination on the contrails. The parts that are near the launcher aren't as bright as the area near the impact.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 24, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It sure looked like a U-turn to me.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

On the one hand, couldn't have happened to better people and I hope it wiped out the battery.

On the other hand, those kinematics, when the missile's full of fuel and still on the booster!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

CainFortea posted:

It was going away from the launcher at all times until it impacted the ground. The thing you are saying it did, it did not do. From the missile's perspective, it was going up at an incline, then went down and to the left. Still traveling forward.

You will notice that all the sparks are traveling towards the camera on impact. It wouldn't do that if it was going away from the camera.

Edit: Also also, look at the illumination on the contrails. The parts that are near the launcher aren't as bright as the area near the impact.

There's another angle on Twitter that makes it a bit more clear the missile did a sideways horseshoe as opposed to a full 180.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

It sure looked like a U-turn to me.

Video is deceiving. What it looks like to me is, the camera is at 10 or 11 o'clock relative to the missile's travel; that is, the missile is approaching the camera at an angle, rather than traveling perpendicular across its field of view. The missile then suffers a failure that causes it to deflect down and to the left from its original travel, eventually impacting the ground somewhere between the point of origin and the camera. The failure could be a guidance failure but I assume a mechanical failure of one of the fins or something is also a possibility.

The missile only appears to return to the point of origin because we can't see depth in a video very well. In reality, it moves away from and returns to the line between the camera and launcher, but doesn't ever turn around and start getting closer to the launcher itself.