Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

CornHolio posted:

Are slipmats worth it? As in, do they do anything?
Rubber, Cork, and Acrylic generally keep static down. They also make leather ones, but I've no experience with 'em. Said things are not technically slipmats, as they're not designed to let the record slide around, but they're sometimes referred to as such. Actual slipmats are usually felt; they look neat, but usually increase static.

I have both cork and acrylic ones I've made over the past year or so. I'm partial to this cork one on my backup turntable, as it's one of the geekiest things I've ever made:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That's your backup tt?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

CornHolio posted:

I just think they're neat

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
They're also incredibly easy to decorate your walls with, as long as they're rigid enough to stay vertical. Just stick a push-pin in the wall and hang it with the spindle hole.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

dorium posted:

It was $25 but the shop guy inspected it before he sold it and saw it had a light dishing on the disc so he knocked 8 bucks off it.

nice hope it plays well congrats on the find

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

lament.cfg posted:

That's your backup tt?
Well, secondary. It's the one beside my bed.

I don't have a problem.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

thinking about alternate track listings and what i find acceptable in that regard

like, for me, for better or worse, I tend to want something like the original or intended listening experience

i really want a copy of the first VU record, but I definitely don't want one with chelsea girls clogging up the back end of side two - this is difficult to suss out without actually opening the record, since the track listing isn't on the outside of the sleeve and the serial number doesn't clarify

weirdly enough, though, even though it's contrary to the artists' intent, i want a pressing of black celebration that includes but not tonight, which is easily one of my top five DM tracks (it was a bonus track on the initial US LP release)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

i really want a copy of the first VU record, but I definitely don't want one with chelsea girls clogging up the back end of side two - this is difficult to suss out without actually opening the record, since the track listing isn't on the outside of the sleeve and the serial number doesn't clarify

Just get a first press with the torso on the back. Boom, problem solved.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've been looking about trying to find the perfect slip mat for the Denon UFO. Recommendations would be welcome. I'm thinking cork would be the most fitting.
I also got a new dust cover fabricated for it cause the old one was smoky grey and scratched to poo poo.

It is currently still living on the floor under my work bench, most likely until after our holiday in August.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 22, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Megabound posted:

I've been looking about trying to find the perfect slip mat for the Denon UFO. Recommendations would be welcome.
I also got a new dust cover fabricated for it cause the old one was smoky grey and scratched to poo poo.

It is currently still living on the floor under my work bench, most likely until after our holiday in August.

The one you have on there looks fine? Rubber is good.

Cover looks great!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Oh yeah, it looks fine, but it could look better. Maybe I should try to recondition it to make it black again instead of powdery...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Megabound posted:

Oh yeah, it looks fine, but it could look better. Maybe I should try to recondition it to make it black again instead of powdery...

That seems like a waste of time when you could just buy another generic rubber slipmat if it bothered you

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Darthemed posted:

They're also incredibly easy to decorate your walls with, as long as they're rigid enough to stay vertical. Just stick a push-pin in the wall and hang it with the spindle hole.

Oh poo poo, why haven't I thought of this before?

:tipshat:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So far the best slip mats here are marjorie and whichever one of you has the DIY one with the gatefold from that Lionel Ritchie album

hexwren posted:

thinking about alternate track listings and what i find acceptable in that regard

like, for me, for better or worse, I tend to want something like the original or intended listening experience

weirdly enough, though, even though it's contrary to the artists' intent, i want a pressing of black celebration that includes but not tonight, which is easily one of my top five DM tracks (it was a bonus track on the initial US LP release)

I didn't even know there was a version with Chelsea Girl crammed onto it. I have the mono box that Sundazed put out a few years ago and they were from the original tapes. I like it but a lot of people bitch about it because the s/t album is some kind of remix or something. (and that set does have Chelsea Girl which I still have never listened to, lol). That has the first three albums, a compilation of tracks that were meant to be for an album that never was and Chelsea Girl. Anyway, Discogs will tell you what you need to know. Anyway there are a lot of different pressings of that so it should be very easy to find.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

So far the best slip mats here are marjorie and whichever one of you has the DIY one with the gatefold from that Lionel Ritchie album

I didn't even know there was a version with Chelsea Girl crammed onto it. I have the mono box that Sundazed put out a few years ago and they were from the original tapes. I like it but a lot of people bitch about it because the s/t album is some kind of remix or something. (and that set does have Chelsea Girl which I still have never listened to, lol). That has the first three albums, a compilation of tracks that were meant to be for an album that never was and Chelsea Girl. Anyway, Discogs will tell you what you need to know. Anyway there are a lot of different pressings of that so it should be very easy to find.

that's the problem - I've been on discogs, and as far as I've seen there are modern pressings both with and without the extra track, under the same serial number

old pressings are expensive and 00s-20s pressings are a bonus track crapshoot

I'll have to double-check discogs when I get a chance, in case my brain is failing and I'm hallucinating the whole thing, but the last couple times I was in a record store and encountered the record (sealed, new), I couldn't definitively figure out if it was the one I wanted or not

marjorie
May 4, 2014

CPL593H posted:

:3: chuffed to be called out - can't pass up a chance to repost a picture of mine, so I went looking through my posts for it and how fortuitous:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Megabound posted:

I've been looking about trying to find the perfect slip mat for the Denon UFO. Recommendations would be welcome. I'm thinking cork would be the most fitting.

Where did you get the cover fabricated and how much did that cost? My backup table needs one and used beat to poo poo ones are usually $60-80

Etsy has your record mat needs covered. I use a rubber one for the living room but need felt ones on my dj decks so I can queue stuff up... and sometimes drunkenly try to scratch. Basically the "slip" in slipmat is the felt slipping over the platter. With felt mats you are able to hold the record still or manipulate it while the platter spins away underneath. Not possible with rubber, cork, or acrylic.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=slipmat

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

marjorie posted:

:3: chuffed to be called out - can't pass up a chance to repost a picture of mine, so I went looking through my posts for it and how fortuitous:

I didn't even realize you have a Technics 1200. So you're once again better than most people here. UFO turntable is still the best turntable though.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

CPL593H posted:

I didn't even realize you have a Technics 1200. So you're once again better than most people here. UFO turntable is still the best turntable though.

It's probably wasted on me, but there was a local guy whose dad bought him this deck in the late 80s\early 90s for DJing but he never got into it, so it's pretty much pristine. He was just looking to clean out, so I got it for a steal.

Totally agree the UFO table is fabulous, though.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

caligulamprey posted:

Oh poo poo, why haven't I thought of this before?

:tipshat:

Jeff Rosenstock weed pride flag?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

lament.cfg posted:

Jeff Rosenstock weed pride flag?
You know it! :hellyeah:

Too bad it's too hot to wear as a cape in the summer, otherwise I'd be rocking it at the three Ween shows going down next weekend.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

sporklift posted:

Where did you get the cover fabricated and how much did that cost? My backup table needs one and used beat to poo poo ones are usually $60-80

Etsy has your record mat needs covered. I use a rubber one for the living room but need felt ones on my dj decks so I can queue stuff up... and sometimes drunkenly try to scratch. Basically the "slip" in slipmat is the felt slipping over the platter. With felt mats you are able to hold the record still or manipulate it while the platter spins away underneath. Not possible with rubber, cork, or acrylic.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=slipmat

Ty, I got it done by a local acrylic fabrication called custom plastics. I gave them the dimensions and they did all the drawings and cutting, $200 AUD. I'm sure if I shopped around enough or did the drawings myself that would have been less. Buying a custom one off eBay for that deck would have been $300 minimum

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CornHolio posted:

I got an MST3K slipmat, but it (and all slipmats) interferes with my turntable's automatic size detection.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

You know it! :hellyeah:

Too bad it's too hot to wear as a cape in the summer, otherwise I'd be rocking it at the three Ween shows going down next weekend.

Dang I'm jealous about those Ween shows!

And thanks to not knowing who Jeff Rosenstock is I just made $0.36. :)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I cannot loving wait to hear my favorite Primus song coming out of my music room speakers...it's Those Damned Blue Collar Tweakers.

Accidental rhyme..."I was like Jay-Z, or like Andre 3000 or something, I was a lyricist!"

My slipmat is cute but the felt DOES lead to hella static. I may consider switching to another material..

marjorie
May 4, 2014

For what it's worth - I take my slipmat off when I play a record (the platter already has a rubber mat that's a better performer since I don't scratch). It's there for decorative purposes only, haha.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

I have that Tom Lehrer record and it was the best $0.25 I ever spent.

I love Told Lehrer, I wish I could find more of his stuff.

This album's from 1953. It's the oldest comedy album I own, and one of the oldest albums I own overall, and yet it holds up better than most of the albums in my comedy crate. Also the only 10 inch in my collection, which is kind of annoying.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I want a copy of those albums too but every time I see them they're beat up and I refuse to go on discogs and pay four or five bucks to ship a dollar bin record. Tom Lerher rules.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 23, 2022

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

wa27 posted:

I love Told Lehrer, I wish I could find more of his stuff.

if memory serves, there's only a couple more pieces of vinyl to pick up? another ep, a live album and maybe a third thing? discogs can probably finish the set for you easy.

you're honestly a good way into his complete works, he wasn't all that into the music thing, especially if you go by his interviews

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

hexwren posted:

i really want a copy of the first VU record, but I definitely don't want one with chelsea girls clogging up the back end of side two
This is why I don't like all those remastered rereleases with tons of unreleased tracks and B-sides padding out the running time that are the only way you can get old albums on CD or Spotify anymore.

I have been known to go to absurd amounts of effort to part them back out for the ol' MP3 collection.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

What would you guys and dolls recommend to an aspiring audio collage artist with a large collection of old records, besides keep your day job?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

petit choux posted:

What would you guys and dolls recommend to an aspiring audio collage artist with a large collection of old records, besides keep your day job?

:justpost:

Put it up on SoundCloud or mixcloud.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I only have one slipmat and I feel like I must have posted it at some point.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Make cool poo poo and then post it on the internet.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Buy an ice cream truck and drive to the beach blasting your music over the speakers then give away polka records.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Here is my slip mat and my album that showed up on this terrible day.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Flobots Fight With Tools signed repressing back in stock today!

Saw them live a few months ago and have been seriously contemplating spending stupid money for the 10 year anniversary re-pressing... unbelievably geeked they did another run

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Buy an ice cream truck and drive to the beach blasting your music over the speakers then give away polka records.

Thanks, this is a new angle, with the truck and all, I knew I could count on you record store guys.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Garage sale finds for today. The four albums were $5 and the Rush picture disc was $15 (Just got that for a gift).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wa27 posted:

Garage sale finds for today. The four albums were $5 and the Rush picture disc was $15 (Just got that for a gift).

The Sweet rule