Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Am I remembering correctly that the session already delayed was supposed to include everyone that requested a pardon? I wonder if congresspeeps have been realizing that they can't get elected in November because they can't simultaneously support Trump and not be conspirators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Those minds that cannot bend, I think they gonna break.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This feels like an absolute victory for the televised hearings. They ran out of steam on evidence collection, they showed their hand of "this is a slam dunk case get on board or get run over", and now people are coming out of the woodwork to help.

I mean this is history. The choices these people make now are going to be engraved on their tombstone. Cheney was definitely right that the conspirators will not be looked upon kindly.

I don't think it's really set in yet for people, the full implications of what happened and how close we came, add to that the fact that because Trump is such a gaudy buffoon there's a facet of this whole thing where people don't take him seriously. There's even the rather ironic truth-is-stranger-than-fiction third act twist that, while everyone has always feared the rise of some fanatical American politician with a grand plans to turn the US into a white nationalist ethnostate or communist police sate, or just pick your poisonous ideology, in the end the motivations weren't anything so epic, it was just a cheap conman who wouldn't let it go because he was such a petty narcissist that the worst thing he could ever imagine is being a loser.

Truly, the banality of evil.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Google gives me jack and squat. Do we know who Starfleet Guy is and his story?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

-Blackadder- posted:

I mean this is history. The choices these people make now are going to be engraved on their tombstone. Cheney was definitely right that the conspirators will not be looked upon kindly.

I don't think it's really set in yet for people, the full implications of what happened and how close we came

It set in for me even before it happened because I saw it coming, know these loving people and it only solidified watching it unfold but, for whatever reason, a lot of people think it was a joke, including here on this board. But I don't see it that way at all. Cheney is going to do down as being on the right side of history, yes, but she'll suffer for it in her modern context, like Muhammad Ali, Colin Kapernick, Malcom X, Dr. King or anyone who spoke out against the second Iraq war after 9/11.

Not being wrong isn't typically enough during the times things actually unfold, sadly, even though it's the right thing to do. I don't think we've ever truly gotten past 9/11 and after all the flag stickers and USA USA chants took over. I view 1/6 as historically significant as 9/11 - or at least close - and I don't think we're done with either. In many ways, I think the first begat the second in fact.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

BiggerBoat posted:

It set in for me even before it happened because I saw it coming, know these loving people and it only solidified watching it unfold but, for whatever reason, a lot of people think it was a joke, including here on this board. But I don't see it that way at all. Cheney is going to do down as being on the right side of history, yes, but she'll suffer for it in her modern context, like Muhammad Ali, Colin Kapernick, Malcom X, Dr. King or anyone who spoke out against the second Iraq war after 9/11.

Not being wrong isn't typically enough during the times things actually unfold, sadly, even though it's the right thing to do. I don't think we've ever truly gotten past 9/11 and after all the flag stickers and USA USA chants took over. I view 1/6 as historically significant as 9/11 - or at least close - and I don't think we're done with either. In many ways, I think the first begat the second in fact.

From Cheney to Cheney in the most loving insane and mind breaking path possible

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Who knew Liz Cheney may be the one who ultimately saves the union?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1539695635716345857

must be a decent amount of info if they have to delay for weeks.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

my guess is its the whole documentary plus a couple other smart ghouls trying to save themselves.

-Blackadder- posted:

I don't think it's really set in yet for people, the full implications of what happened and how close we came, add to that the fact that because Trump is such a gaudy buffoon there's a facet of this whole thing where people don't take him seriously. There's even the rather ironic truth-is-stranger-than-fiction third act twist that, while everyone has always feared the rise of some fanatical American politician with a grand plans to turn the US into a white nationalist ethnostate or communist police sate, or just pick your poisonous ideology, in the end the motivations weren't anything so epic, it was just a cheap conman who wouldn't let it go because he was such a petty narcissist that the worst thing he could ever imagine is being a loser.

Truly, the banality of evil.
this. no one realizes much less in out cyncle internet poisoned brains that poo poo does matter and this is history. these fucks won't be remembered kindly for this. t

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

quote:

CNN —

The House select committee investigating the January 6 Capitol Hill insurrection is preparing to delay its next round of hearings into July, the committee’s chairman, Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, said Wednesday.

The committee will still hold its next hearing on Thursday, which will focus on then-President Donald Trump’s pressure campaign on the Justice Department to intervene in the 2020 election, but then plans to take a break before holding another round of hearings next month.

Thompson said the committee needs more time to go through the new documentary footage it received from documentarian Alex Holder, who possesses never-before-seen footage of Trump and his family, new information from the National Archives, and new tips coming in through the panel’s tip line since the hearings started in order to move forward with its hearings. Thompson said he has reviewed some of the footage Holder provided to the committee, and characterized it as “important.”

The schedule is still very fluid and is subject to change, but a round of hearings in July is the current goal. The House is scheduled to be in recess until the week of July 11, so Thompson said it is likely the hearings will not resume until “after the recess.”

A committee aide told CNN the committee could provide more insight into their schedule during Thursday’s hearing.

“The Select Committee continues to receive additional evidence relevant to our investigation into the violence of January 6th and its causes,” the aide said. “Following tomorrow’s hearing, we will be holding additional hearings in the coming weeks. We will announce dates and times for those hearings soon.”

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AHAHAHAHA!

Oh that's glorious. So many ghouls who already testified going "Oh gently caress, how many times can they prove I lied..."

So many ghouls who hadn't testified or weren't going to be suddenly sweating bullets fearing a congressional summons.
:discourse:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Since the rumor-mill is buzzing about how Trump fully plans to peg everything on Eastman and make him take the fall, I do hope that Eastman has considered flipping himself.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

How are u posted:

Since the rumor-mill is buzzing about how Trump fully plans to peg everything on Eastman and make him take the fall, I do hope that Eastman has considered flipping himself.

Trump continues to think this is a trial. It's a grand jury.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I’m just skeptical that despite all the evidence and everything laid out before the American people that anything will actually happen to these people because the committee is running against the clock now. They have until November to conclude everything because once mid-terms are over, they get replaced by the ‘Democrat stolen election of 2020’ committee and guaranteed there will be arrests of prominent D party members. Democrats are scared to do anything but Republicans have zero problems bringing out a bunch of liberals in chains to the delight of their base.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

mdemone posted:

Trump continues to think this is a trial. It's a grand jury.

I'd say it's more of "Trump continues to think this is The Apprentice where he controls the script."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There's some weird poo poo afloat rn with what appears to be coming out because of the hearings. Stone's documentary crew seems to have some 'you hired a documentary crew for a criminal loving conspiracy??'

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Murgos posted:

I had a thought a minute ago.

There is enough evidence out there of Trump committing crimes that a judge has ruled that it’s probable he’s guilty.

This is way beyond what the FBI would need for a wire tap. Heck, there was enough information public for a wire tap of Trump on Jan 03.

Someone please tell me that there are recordings of Trump in private for at least the last few months. If not longer. Please.

"on what grounds are you requesting this subpoena" "your honor, it would be tremendous content"

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Angry Bum posted:

I’m just skeptical that despite all the evidence and everything laid out before the American people that anything will actually happen to these people because the committee is running against the clock now. They have until November to conclude everything because once mid-terms are over, they get replaced by the ‘Democrat stolen election of 2020’ committee and guaranteed there will be arrests of prominent D party members. Democrats are scared to do anything but Republicans have zero problems bringing out a bunch of liberals in chains to the delight of their base.
The Committee will certainly wrap up in September, as they have always said they would. That is when they will release the full report and also their legislative recommendations. I do not expect that to change, for the very reason you mention. They have always known it had to be finished before October 2022.

The idea this will go away due to the midterms doesn't compute.

This is a Grand Jury without the power to compel all testimony, but it is public. It is public specifically because the DOJ allowed the committee to depose all of these witnesses first so it would be seen by everyone who wants to see, and by this point I am more confident than ever it will also be seen by many who have said or thought they would ignore it.

Some are, sure. Won't change gently caress-all. This conspiracy was too loving stupid. TWO documentary film crews, one in the Whitehouse, and one with the Proud Boys? lol get hosed GOP

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

The Committee will certainly wrap up in September, as they have always said they would. That is when they will release the full report and also their legislative recommendations. I do not expect that to change, for the very reason you mention. They have always known it had to be finished before October 2022.

The idea this will go away due to the midterms doesn't compute.

This is a Grand Jury without the power to compel all testimony, but it is public. It is public specifically because the DOJ allowed the committee to depose all of these witnesses first so it would be seen by everyone who wants to see, and by this point I am more confident than ever it will also be seen by many who have said or thought they would ignore it.

Some are, sure. Won't change gently caress-all. This conspiracy was too loving stupid. TWO documentary film crews, one in the Whitehouse, and one with the Proud Boys? lol get hosed GOP

I agree with you, I've said as much, and the only reason I don't toxx on it is because I love you all so much that I wouldn't risk my account even on that regard.

So maybe a ladies/gentlemens' wager? Toward the Red Cross or something equally important.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I say that stuff as much for myself as anyone else. I'm testing my own convictions. So far I am still feeling more certainty rather than less.

Sorry, I know you have been pretty clear itt; I really only wanted to address the fear we all had that this would not be finished by the midterm elections. But the last time I worried about that was right up until the hearings were scheduled and actually rolled out on time. At that point I stopped worrying about anyone running out the clock, because the DOJ investigations are there, beneath the tip of the iceberg we can see, and if anything they will have an absolutely airtight case for Seditious Conspiracy and that handful of other charges. I don't need it to be Treason.

I love SA too much to toxx, myself. I am absolutely down for a friendly wager but it doesn't have to be expensive. The idea I like most is supporting SA, so we could wager for custom titles or forum features.

The best political bet I ever won was "John Roberts' SCOTUS will/will not uphold Obamacare." Obviously I wagered "for," because if anything I thought Roberts would do, it would be force people to buy private insurance. It's the American Way!

Something tells me Life After Hate should be, like, mandatory experiences for violent white supremacists. I'd fund that, too.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Angry Bum posted:

I'm not singling you out, but you're a good prompt to remind everyone :

This is a LEGISLATIVE committee. This is not a JUDICIAL committee. Liz Cheney is not going to, and can not, charge anyone from this. The intended purpose of this committee is to provide information to Congress so they can pass legislation to stop another coup, and as part of that they have to investigate how this coup happened. They can't charge anyone ; this has been a major contention and something that the Republicans keep loving up when they respond to subpoenas. They can pass stuff on to the DoJ for prosecution (and have, as we've seen), but the only thing Congress can really charge anyone with is contempt of congress.

It's not a trial! All the stuff you learned about trials doesn't apply, and even if it did a lot of the stuff people know about trials isn't true either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

I say that stuff as much for myself as anyone else. I'm testing my own convictions. So far I am still feeling more certainty rather than less.

Sorry, I know you have been pretty clear itt; I really only wanted to address the fear we all had that this would not be finished by the midterm elections. But the last time I worried about that was right up until the hearings were scheduled and actually rolled out on time. At that point I stopped worrying about anyone running out the clock, because the DOJ investigations are there, beneath the tip of the iceberg we can see, and if anything they will have an absolutely airtight case for Seditious Conspiracy and that handful of other charges. I don't need it to be Treason.

I love SA too much to toxx, myself. I am absolutely down for a friendly wager but it doesn't have to be expensive. The idea I like most is supporting SA, so we could wager for custom titles or forum features.

The best political bet I ever won was "John Roberts' SCOTUS will/will not uphold Obamacare." Obviously I wagered "for," because if anything I thought Roberts would do, it would be force people to buy private insurance. It's the American Way!

Something tells me Life After Hate should be, like, mandatory experiences for violent white supremacists. I'd fund that, too.

10 bux isn't really an expensive wager though. Just saying

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
He posted like 5 things on his site yesterday.
Never this many usually.
Guessing hes getting nervous

quote:

Arizona Speaker of the House Rusty Bowers is the latest RINO to play along with the Unselect Committee. In November 2020, Bowers thanked me for getting him elected. He said he would have lost, and in fact expected to lose, if I hadn’t come along. During the conversation, he told me that the election was rigged and that I won Arizona. He said he got more votes than I did which could never have happened. In fact, he said without me, he would have been out of office, and he expected to be prior to my coming along, and big Arizona rallies. The night before the election he walked outside with his wife and saw the tremendous Trump enthusiasm and told her, “You know what? Maybe I will win after all”—and he did. Bowers should hope there’s not a tape of the conversation.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/news

APNews said that Bowers told them he would still vote for Trump in 2024 yesterday

quote:

“If he is the nominee, if he was up against Biden, I’d vote for him again,” Bowers said. “Simply because what he did the first time, before COVID, was so good for the county. In my view it was great.”
https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-capitol-siege-biden-presidential-election-2020-5f0f2eeae477437a5fed9fffe9ce286a

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 23, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

OgNar posted:

Never this many usually.

APNews said that Bowers told them he would still vote for Trump in 2024 yesterday

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/news

Why don't you come get sworn in and testify then like Hillary Clinton did if you want to be heard so much and demand equal time, you fat orange piece of poo poo? Pretty sure the committee would give you as much time as you want. Bring Rudy and Meadows with you.

We'll listen.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I'm a Canadian so forgive an ignorant question: if Trump does see criminal consequences for his actions, does anything stop President De Santis from pardoning him immediately?

edit: apart from not being/becoming president, obviously

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lucasar posted:

I'm a Canadian so forgive an ignorant question: if Trump does see criminal consequences for his actions, does anything stop President De Santis from pardoning him immediately?

depends who charges him. If it's federal charges he can pardon them. If it's state charges, such as by fulton county in georgia, there is nothing desantis could do.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lucasar posted:

Presidential pardons only work on federal crimes, not state crimes, and there's the tiniest, most mild amount of wiggle room about how it works in regards to crimes that someone has been impeached for just cause it hasn't come up ever but it's inside-baseball legal specifics.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Herstory Begins Now posted:

depends who charges him. If it's federal charges he can pardon them. If it's state charges, such as by fulton county in georgia, there is nothing desantis could do.

Thanks!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

OgNar posted:

Never this many usually.

I both think he's getting nervous because he's an insecure whiner who thrives on blaming other people, and also that he will see exactly zero consequences from any of this.

The best I can hope for is watching him squirm.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In the past 2 years it never really occurred to me one of the funniest things about the election was that a bunch of down ballot Republicans got more votes than Donny. The has got to gently caress around with his ginormously malignant ego

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^Nah, that was because of the massive voter fraud^^^

Trump is not going to be charged with anything by anyone.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Turned down 10,000 to 20,000 national guard, ‘troops or soldiers’?

Wtf….

No one in their right mind would think that 3 to 5 brigades of soldiers were just going to be called up to go stand around the Capitol for an afternoon.

We didn’t have that many in Afghanistan.

Also, lol, that his cheese brain couldn’t figure out if troops or soldiers was appropriate.

Edit: It’s kind of interesting that he’s just straight lying that the Committee hasn’t been addressing his claims of irregularities. They have, repeatedly and pointedly shown testimony that his claims were all “Bullshit” and he knew it but by claiming they aren’t he can pretend like they are ducking the question.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 23, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

The committee will still hold its next hearing on Thursday, which will focus on then-President Donald Trump’s pressure campaign on the Justice Department to intervene in the 2020 election,

The DoJ IG office started an investigation into improper use of authority on Jan 25. I have hopes that we get to see some of its findings here.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"on what grounds are you requesting this subpoena" "your honor, it would be tremendous content"

Can you imagine how hilarious it would be to listen to Trump and Rudy on a call together? To be truly magnificent it would need a straight man like Hannity in there trying to keep them on topic.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

10 bux isn't really an expensive wager though. Just saying
Sorry man, for some reason I was mistakenly thinking a toxx-loss resulted in a Perma. I don't think about that stuff much. It was amusing when I caught that 6'er for something I had forgotten was ever a rule. Of course you are right.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

BiggerBoat posted:

Why don't you come get sworn in and testify then like Hillary Clinton did if you want to be heard so much and demand equal time, you fat orange piece of poo poo? Pretty sure the committee would give you as much time as you want. Bring Rudy and Meadows with you.

We'll listen.
And also "we never bothered to call him to testify because he would just stonewall" AND "having him testify would just be a waste of time".

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^Nah, that was because of the massive voter fraud^^^

Trump is not going to be charged with anything by anyone.
Ah. Yeah. But, not calling on him was the biggest warning sign to begin with.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Seems that Mo Brooks who spoke at Jan 6 (while wearing a bullet proof vest *) and was a Trump suck up to no end, said at some point that we needed to move on from the 2020 elections.
Trump, of course, dumped him in a second and started endorsing Brooks rival.
Brooks had previously shunned the committee.
So now it seems Mo Brooks is more than happy to speak to the Jan 6 Committee.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1539773929480388610

* not that he knew anything was going to happen, just to be safe as one does.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 23, 2022

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I thought Mo Brooks got de endorsed by Trump because he started to tank in primary polls well before any of the rest of this.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Zwabu posted:

I thought Mo Brooks got de endorsed by Trump because he started to tank in primary polls well before any of the rest of this.

I read it as after he said that, but I maybe I read an opinion and took it as real.
I could be wrong and many times am.

Next hearing in 2 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4535-VW-bY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Oracle posted:

It'll never be tried as such sadly, because our Founding Fathers (PBUT) were too drat paranoid about their political enemies using it against them and so made the bar pretty much unbelievably high.

Just a refresher:

Though I gotta admit Trump comes genuinely, provably closer than I think anyone in recent American history.

This is the one that they would try to get him on if they felt they had the case (they don't):

What is an 'overt act of treason?'
"Levying war isn't limited to formally declaring war. It includes any forcible opposition to the execution of a public law. Such "forcible opposition" ordinarily requires actual use of force by multiple people with the common purpose of preventing some law from being enforced. Weapons aren't always required; sheer numbers can be enough.

Merely conspiring to overthrow the government isn't levying war—there must be an actual assemblage of people who are ready and intend to use force. (But see "Related Crimes," below.) So, no person acting alone can be guilty of levying war."

Pretty sure :doink: Jack McCoy :doink: could easily turn what Trump did on 1/6 into a guilty verdict for treason.

Conspiring to overthrow the government and then calling on people to use force to do so is levying war.