Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Parkingtigers posted:

I know I’m a minority opinion there though, and in contrast I consider The Fog to be possibly his best film alongside Precinct 13 and not enough people give The Fog the respect I feel it deserves.

The Fog is my Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I was pondering one day and realized John Carpenter made a bunch of my favorite films, probably more than any other fimmaker: Dark Star, Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, The Fog, The Thing, Escape From New York, Prince of Darkness, They Live, and In the Mouth of Madness

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Oh hells yeah! Just got tickets for my daughter and I to see the Thing 40th anniversary screening at the local theatre!!! We’ve both been thinking about Aliens (the movie) A LOT and it’s time for her to experience another classic in the best way possible!!!

I’m seeing it tomorrow after work!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Parkingtigers posted:

It's a true goon story when the goon fails to get laid at the end.

Ripley: How many dates is this for you, Goon?
Goon: Thirty eight... simulated.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

PhotoKirk posted:

Vasquez: you always were an rear end in a top hat *clasps Goon's hand*
Goon: *explodes*

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I Googled aliens film analysis (I'd been thinking about the movie) and the first video that came up had slick production values with a decent sounding narrator and a somewhat insightful first few minutes. then, a casual mention of Ronald Reagan in a positive light, must have been sarcastic, and it wasn't until 15 minutes later that I realize he's unironically talking about Aliens being a good movie because it promotes the nuclear family. the future stinks.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 22, 2022

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
the traditional family unit: a disgraced space trucker, a comatose marine, an orphaned child and their bisected android

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I Googled aliens film analysis (I'd been thinking about the movie) and the first video that came up had slick production values with a decent sounding narrator and a somewhat insightful first few minutes. then, a casual mention of Ronald Reagan in a positive light, must have been sarcastic, and it wasn't until 15 minutes later that I realize he's unironically talking about Aliens being a good movie because it promotes the nuclear family. the future stinks.

:chloe:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gnome de plume posted:

the traditional family unit: a disgraced space trucker, a comatose marine, an orphaned child and their bisected android

https://youtu.be/hoRrZ3WCZD8

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Parkingtigers posted:

Vasquez: you always were an rear end in a top hat *clasps Goon's hand*
Goon: *explodes*
Goon: I carried a bag of ammo 2 miles to the atmospheric processor and I didn't even get a facehug out of the ordeal.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 22, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:3:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I once saw a YouTube commenter lament Hollywood “shoving feminism into everything these days” and holding up Aliens as an example of how action movies used to be before this trend.

Like hate to break it to you amigo but Aliens is probably the best feminist action movie of all time.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm really tired of this feminist bullshit. They really need to make movies like they did back in the 80s-90s.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Class Warcraft posted:

I once saw a YouTube commenter lament Hollywood “shoving feminism into everything these days” and holding up Aliens as an example of how action movies used to be before this trend.

Oh they always name Ripley and Sarah Connor, as if that proves that there were always "plenty" of women in action films and we don't need to raise the quota. Hard mode for chuds is challenging them to name an '80s female action star not from a James Cameron film.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Off the top of my head, I can't really think of a big strong female lead that was around that era besides Cameron movies.

Some horror movies of course like Nightmare 1 with Heather Langenkamp. But that's a really big trope in horror movies.

I'll have to google this now.

edit: I'm looking at some lists and Ripley and Connor are on or at the top. Most of these other ones aren't leads but secondary characters.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 23, 2022

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Yup, the cupboard is pretty bare. Some solid backup roles here and there (John Carpenter was great at making sure there were plenty) but that's why it always comes back to Ripley and Sarah Connor.

Even Rhianna Pratchett (who isn't a chud, is superbly progressive, yet is a fairly terrible writer) was in an interview once talking about the Tomb Raider reboot games she was writing, going on about how she grew up inspired by "lots of" strong female characters... like Ripley and Sarah Connor. It's the well we all draw water from.

It just seems like they were both so impressive in those iconic films, so easy to remember, that it sorta kinda eclipsed the fact that we also mostly remember them because there's just so few others to remember from that time.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

PhotoKirk posted:

Lmao

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Trip report! The Thing 40th anniversary showing fuckin’ ruled hard!!! Kid loved it, but did elbow me right off the bat and gave me a wtf look cause she thought I had taken her a movie where dogs get shot. Anyway, was really glad I got the opportunity to show it to her on the big screen :)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Trip report! The Thing 40th anniversary showing fuckin’ ruled hard!!! Kid loved it, but did elbow me right off the bat and gave me a wtf look cause she thought I had taken her a movie where dogs get shot. Anyway, was really glad I got the opportunity to show it to her on the big screen :)

I saw it tonight too and it was a good time

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I saw it tonight too and it was a good time

Hell yeah!!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Kid loved it, but did elbow me right off the bat and gave me a wtf look cause she thought I had taken her a movie where dogs get shot.

Oh honey, no...it's sooo much worse.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Oh, she watched the rest just fine, it was just an initial wtf did you drag me to? sort of thing. She liked the movie!

E: scary body horror involving dogs and people and aliens and flamethrowers is one thing, having the first drat scene in the movie being someone sniping at a doggoe from a helicopter is a little too close to reality living in the hell-blighted state of Texas as we do

Bulgaroctonus fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 23, 2022

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Off the top of my head, I can't really think of a big strong female lead that was around that era besides Cameron movies.

Some horror movies of course like Nightmare 1 with Heather Langenkamp. But that's a really big trope in horror movies.

edit: I'm looking at some lists and Ripley and Connor are on or at the top. Most of these other ones aren't leads but secondary characters.

From my memory I can think of Cynthia Rothrock but she was in B-movie kung fu flicks that are mostly dismissed by regular moviegoers. Brigitte Neilson was also the lead in Red Sonja but it was more or less riding the coattails of Arnold Schwarzenegger's Conan the Barbarian.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Oh, she watched the rest just fine, it was just an initial wtf did you drag me to? sort of thing. She liked the movie!

E: scary body horror involving dogs and people and aliens and flamethrowers is one thing, having the first drat scene in the movie being someone sniping at a doggoe from a helicopter is a little too close to reality living in the hell-blighted state of Texas as we do

The irony being that a dog does get (mercy) shot on camera, and another is shown embedded with an axe. So the movie confirmed her fears *and so much more*!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Consider absolutely NOT watching The Fly II with her, ever.

Android Apocalypse posted:

From my memory I can think of Cynthia Rothrock but she was in B-movie kung fu flicks that are mostly dismissed by regular moviegoers. Brigitte Neilson was also the lead in Red Sonja but it was more or less riding the coattails of Arnold Schwarzenegger's Conan the Barbarian.

I mean yeah that's why whenever people act like representation on that front is fine in big budget Hollywood flicks the only examples people have to prove that is two James Cameron movies from 30+ years ago.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 24, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Consider absolutely NOT watching The Fly II with her, ever.

Counterpoint: show her only the dog scene with no context whatsoever, also show her the dog scene from ‘I Am Legend’, and the infamous dog bit from Futurama. Just go all in, full trauma mode, hold nothing back. :woof::doggo::randvince:

Edit— and Old Yeller

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 24, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

'Strong' is not the right word to use imo.
The Trope from horror movies applies to Sarah Connor, as she was constantly running away scared in the first, then turning around to fight in the second which made her into the 'strong' figure.
I immediately thought of Nancy from Nightmare on Elm Street too. Who did the same.
And Kirsty from Hellraiser.

And forget her name from The Fog.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I mean I guess The Terminator was basically a horror movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Did they fix the aspect ratio and interlacing issues?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Yeah I mean I guess The Terminator was basically a horror movie.

This has got me interested because Alien and Aliens have a similar arc, where the original is decidedly horror and the sequel is, while scary, definitely more action-oriented. I wonder at what point during pre-production was Cameron like "Oh, we're making an action movie," when the studio drove a dumptruck full of money up to his house? Were action movies even thought of like that, before he took two franchises - one of which he wrote - and made them into boom-boom spectacles?

Also, every time I look back it blows my mind that Terminator and its sequel were six years apart. These days we know sequels are greenlit before the original even drops.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Did they fix the aspect ratio and interlacing issues?

Yes, it looked great at my showing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

This has got me interested because Alien and Aliens have a similar arc, where the original is decidedly horror and the sequel is, while scary, definitely more action-oriented. I wonder at what point during pre-production was Cameron like "Oh, we're making an action movie," when the studio drove a dumptruck full of money up to his house? Were action movies even thought of like that, before he took two franchises - one of which he wrote - and made them into boom-boom spectacles?

Your standard horror movie series is usually the same bad thing doing the same bad thing it does over and over again, but just in new locations. With a new story lore to advance the origins or reason why it was born/created.
Not saying this is boring, it suits slasher flicks, but not Alien where 99% was still mystery even after it was airlocked.
If it followed the 'standard' way of horror movies, Alien 2 would mean either another egg being discovered from the Space Jockey and taken away by a new ship, or they found the first Alien floating in space not really deaded by Ripley and it rampages again on a new ship or station.

Both sound ok on the first glance and Cameron would have probably thought of these in first drafts.
But the first option will be just a retelling of the first movie but now with no suspension as you know what the gently caress it is and what has to happen.
And the second, would be better of the two outcomes, but would still be virtually the first again in a larger locale.
Sure both may be good popcorn movies and the studios would have greenlit them instantly.

Totally glad we are in the universe where Cameron decided 'hmm what would be a possible reaction to the Alien by humanity (The Company)' instead.
Some poor rear end universes got Alien Takes Manhattan and Alien: The Revenge making GBS threads up their theaters.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

happyhippy posted:

Some poor rear end universes got Alien Takes Manhattan and Alien: The Revenge making GBS threads up their theaters.

Yeah but think about it like if AvP: Requiem was made in like 1988 it would have whipped rear end.

IIRC for the Exorcist sequels a super cheapo rehash was seriously considered for awhile. Like the plot would be someone new is possessed, let's have 3/4 of the run time be the new characters researching the events of the first movie and showing unused takes from the first movie." :wtc: Exorcist II: The Heretic is really loving bad and is like a more expensive dogshit riff on Abby in some ways but I'm glad they swung for the moon and the ball went so wide it's still flying through space to this day.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 25, 2022

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

happyhippy posted:

Your standard horror movie series is usually the same bad thing doing the same bad thing it does over and over again, but just in new locations. With a new story lore to advance the origins or reason why it was born/created.
Not saying this is boring, it suits slasher flicks, but not Alien where 99% was still mystery even after it was airlocked.
If it followed the 'standard' way of horror movies, Alien 2 would mean either another egg being discovered from the Space Jockey and taken away by a new ship, or they found the first Alien floating in space not really deaded by Ripley and it rampages again on a new ship or station.

Both sound ok on the first glance and Cameron would have probably thought of these in first drafts.
But the first option will be just a retelling of the first movie but now with no suspension as you know what the gently caress it is and what has to happen.
And the second, would be better of the two outcomes, but would still be virtually the first again in a larger locale.
Sure both may be good popcorn movies and the studios would have greenlit them instantly.

Totally glad we are in the universe where Cameron decided 'hmm what would be a possible reaction to the Alien by humanity (The Company)' instead.

One of the reasons I like Aliens so much as a sequel is it keeps the same "people making realistically good/bad decisions" (they aren't all clueless idiots except when it makes reasonable sense) feel from the first film and follows up appropriately. Sure, they mostly disregard the wild tales of the lone survivor with no evidence/obvious mental issues, but the second something happens that fits with her story they send an armed response team with experience killing hostile life forms instead of being chucklefucks and sending an unarmed repair team or something. They don't KNOW Ripley is right, but they aren't going to blindly stick with their first judgement when something happens proving she could be. People generally fail in the Alien universe because they just aren't ready for the xenos despite what they thought, not because they were drooling idiots who didn't at least make a reasonable effort to do the smart thing like so many horror victims. Every time you have somebody who does screw up, they have a well foreshadowed in-character issue and their screw up reflects that issue appropriately. Lambert was the most scared of the original Alien crew, makes sense she freezes up when faced with the xeno right in her face. Gorman's a green lieutenant, he makes reasonably trained but newbie decisions and just isn't flexible enough to handle the situation when it degrades too far into chaos (cover fire with flame throwers while they fall back isn't a terrible order, but when comms fail and he loses his XO he locks up at any sort of follow-up). And of course Ash/Burke are motivated by greed indirectly/directly, which by definition overrides common sense.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I had a horrific Alien: Isolation dream the other night, and I've come to realize that the Nostromo alarm sound is quite possibly the most unsettling alarm sound ever designed.

For reference, not that anyone here needs it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-K8qP1m_s4

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I had a horrific Alien: Isolation dream the other night, and I've come to realize that the Nostromo alarm sound is quite possibly the most unsettling alarm sound ever designed.

No lie. As a result of seeing the film in the theater at age 10, that sounds provokes an absolutely Pavlovian response in me.

During the part in the game where Amanda and the creature are in the Gemini module and that siren is going off, no matter how many times I play it, I am always gripped with this sense of terror that makes my heart race and often makes me panic and screw up.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Hello new ring tone.

(Replacing the Purge siren)

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Anybody remember the Doom mod that replaced everything that was Aliens themed? They even added the sounds of the guns. The best mod for Doom ever made. Probably 1995-1996. I LOVED the game so much

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Mister Speaker posted:

This has got me interested because Alien and Aliens have a similar arc, where the original is decidedly horror and the sequel is, while scary, definitely more action-oriented. I wonder at what point during pre-production was Cameron like "Oh, we're making an action movie," when the studio drove a dumptruck full of money up to his house?

I'm not sure how "action-y" they were thinking, but the idea to make it 'Alien 2' a war movie was Walter Hill and David Giler's. They basically thought to cross the first 'Alien' with another film of theirs, 'Southern Comfort.' That film was more of a 'Deliverance'-style thriller, but it's easy to imagine how the "action" extended from the whole military theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Burning Beard posted:

Anybody remember the Doom mod that replaced everything that was Aliens themed? They even added the sounds of the guns. The best mod for Doom ever made. Probably 1995-1996. I LOVED the game so much

I replayed it a few years ago (evidently it went missing for a while and then was found?) and it still holds up. Really good mod.