Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Also I know its the worst thing to hear because its such a crapshoot that it will make a difference, but def get that flux off, just in case. 2 in the past month for me! Which is why I mention

e: actually most of the shiny I'm seeing looks like switch potting - my b!

What's the momentary wiring "supposed" to be? I'm a dumbass w/ guitar pedals but have been working w/ dpdt/dp3t lever switches for modular builds and... its more practice if nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

JamesKPolk posted:

What's the momentary wiring "supposed" to be? I'm a dumbass w/ guitar pedals but have been working w/ dpdt/dp3t lever switches for modular builds and... its more practice if nothing else
With momentary switches it’s important to get the correct side ”up” since they’re only active as long as you keep holding them down. I think I got that right though.

I checked the ground and as far as I can tell that’s not the problem. Gonna try to go over my solderings to see of some of them are bad.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Anyone have experience w/ cheapo drill presses? Or drill guides? Love my power drill but the things I'd like to have a press for keep racking up. In my mind they were 1k plus so I was thinking about makerspaces or something but I'm seeing them for 1-200, and drill guides that let me use my drill for half that.

Worth bothering with? I might eventually start drilling PCBs but for now its just enclosure stuff. I feel real weird about going cheap on power tools I have to use with the mindset that they are capable of killing me, though

Spinal Pap posted:

With momentary switches it’s important to get the correct side ”up” since they’re only active as long as you keep holding them down. I think I got that right though.

err sorry I meant do you have a schematic to check against? But if you got it working, hell yeah

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a cheap harbor freight bench top drill press. It's fine for drilling boxes out a step bit helps a lot.

The chuck isn't able to close enough to hold a drill bit suitable to drill PCBs I had a dremel tool set up as a drill press to do them with.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I do not know much about drill presses but that hasn't stopped me from buying one heyo

I was selling my keyboards at the flea market last weekend and there was a lady selling some of her long deceased husband's tools. She gave it to me for $30, she says it works great. It looks in fine condition offhand. I didn't even see a brand logo.

Drill guides and the like often don't give you the precision you want from a drill press, though I guess some are better than others. I bet you there's a really good design on some youtube RN, which would likely be better than any store-bought drill guides. I long thought about buying a used photo enlarger stand and mounting a drill on it or something.

For PCB drilling you would want to use a dremel tool for a lot of it, I'd guess. They make a little drill press for a dremel, I'd love to get one.

Okay now I'm off inventing handmade drillpresses and such, LOL. Right now my idea might cost as little as going to harbor freight. But it would look real cool!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

WOW there are a lot of cheap drill presses on Craigslist. duh, in retrospect?

As much as I love harbor freight I think I'm gonna keep it local / under $50 but I could splurge and take a truck to the coast and pay $200 for the one we had in high school shop class

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dear thread, any idea if this could be of any use:

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
A drill press is a great investment for any size shop, even the cheapo benchtop models.

I've used many over the years and even the cheapest you can buy is perfectly adequate for home use. Used is always a good option too since even a well used drill press isn't used alot, you know?

But forget the drill guides. They're really only designed for when you need a drill press but it's in a spot inaccessable to one. They're not meant for continuous use and like someone else mentioned, are highly innacurate.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux posted:

Dear thread, any idea if this could be of any use:

To be more specific, what I'm trying to say is, those modules don't happen to have the same dimensions as eurorack by any chance?

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
Got a bass cab question.

I'm planning on building an 8 10 out of my stack of speakers taking up too much room. 6 are 8ohm and 2 are 16. I was going to wire it all up all series/parallel to end up at 8ohm, but then I just found into a 24x19 speaker which is already 8 that I forgot I had.

Can anyone think of a reason to do the 6 +1 over the 8 10 other than looking more unique?

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
In my endless quest to spend as little as possible on my gear, I present my completely free 8x12 bass cab.

The MDF and metal grate were harvested from free piles over the years.

All the speakers and, wiring and sockets were scavenged from old organs. I picked up 9 throughout the month from the Facebook marketplace. The wood I cut up and put in a bin outside my house where people took it for firewood and all the electronics went to the electronics recycling, so I didn't pay for the garbage removal either.

It sounds great and I can finally crank my 400watt amp to the fullest with no distortion.

Just needs a coat of paint to finish it up

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Wow

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MettleRamiel posted:

In my endless quest to spend as little as possible on my gear, I present my completely free 8x12 bass cab.

The MDF and metal grate were harvested from free piles over the years.

All the speakers and, wiring and sockets were scavenged from old organs. I picked up 9 throughout the month from the Facebook marketplace. The wood I cut up and put in a bin outside my house where people took it for firewood and all the electronics went to the electronics recycling, so I didn't pay for the garbage removal either.

It sounds great and I can finally crank my 400watt amp to the fullest with no distortion.

Just needs a coat of paint to finish it up

This is one of the best posts I have ever seen. I just wish I could see it in person and FEEL ITS POWER.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Fing fab

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I hope it’s called the Organ Harvester.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

Well it loving is now!!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Jesus Christ, do you literally have to kill something with the power of rock and roll?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5UmPTttN1s

y'all see this? holy smokes

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I'm just imagining turning this thing on, playing a note, and then that scene from Terminator 2 where the nuclear bomb blows Sarah Connor's incinerated flesh clean off her skeleton plays.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

Thanks for the idea

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

MettleRamiel posted:

Thanks for the idea

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
gently caress yeah that rules.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Oh my god

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if only an image could be a thread title

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

DIY Gear Thread: ORGAN HARVESTER

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

MettleRamiel posted:

Thanks for the idea

:black101:

BRUTAL

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

MettleRamiel posted:

Thanks for the idea

This is awesome! I feel honoured.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Holy poo poo :vince:

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

MettleRamiel posted:

Thanks for the idea

I don’t think you explicitly said what genre you primarily play. I’m imagining someone at a jazz fusion jam standing in front of The Organ Harvester, with their bass cinched up like a baby bjorn and a beatific look on their face, hitting some sweet Jaco licks. A guy holding an arch top guitar sits nearby, awestruck and afraid.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Eddie’s gonna slay Vecna with that in the season finale.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody here looked over some of the audio stuff that can reasonably be run through a Raspberry Pi? I have a keyboard controller I got to start mucking around more with music theory, and now I'm kind of stuck not being able to make sound with it unless I can switch my computer over to run some software for it. Instead, I was thinking of running a Raspberry Pi 4 into a touchscreen that's pretty much permanently on and connected so I can just go over and hit some notes when I have a chance.

I think it would actually be more compact, versatile, and be more reusable for other stuff than, say, buying the cheapest rackmount thing I can find off of eBay or whatever.

Edit: Of some concern here is I'm moving and will be moving again within, like, a year so I didn't want to get a full-length keyboard of any kind and other chonky stuff.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Responding to myself after a day and a half or so: I think the correct answer for having some random computer for running VST instruments and stuff is a second-hand ultrabook that's already got Windows installed. I just got one yesterday and that was that. Very unambitious.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

that or like a korg volca is probably a better solution for you but pis can do a lot:

https://www.gearnews.com/minidexed-run-8-dx7s-on-a-raspberry-pi-for-free/

and

https://github.com/mxmxmx/terminal_tedium

for example

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

MettleRamiel posted:

Thanks for the idea

You gotta get us a video of that thing in action. We need to know.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Two things:

I'm currently catching up on all the DIY pedal kits I bought a year ago and I'm currently testing a Swollen Pickle clone (this, if you're interested: https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/gherkin)

All the fancy fuzzy, scoop-y, crunch-y knobs are working and it makes noise, but the volume doesn't seem to do anything. I thought it wasn't doing anything at all until I maxed the volume on my audio interface and its seems to be responding fine.

My electronics knowledge is not fantastic, but I can't why it would produce a signal but not amplify it. It feels if the volume isn't working then it wouldn't make any noise.

Would anyone be able to provide some insight?

And secondly:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My guesses are that either one of the many amplifier stages is getting bypassed, or the chip's busted, or a majority of the signal is shorting out to ground somehow. It's possible to make an amplifier that stays at unity gain (ie. voltage in = voltage out) or even less, but unless they sent you the wrong chip that's probably not what's happened.

I'd email the company, they should know the circuit best and can help you troubleshoot it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

There's no IC, I'm using 4 transistors as per instructions. Sourced myself, so that might be it. I'll test them before I do anything else.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Make sure Q1 and Q4 are facing one way on the circuit board and Q2 and Q3 the other.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Siivola posted:

Make sure Q1 and Q4 are facing one way on the circuit board and Q2 and Q3 the other.

Lol, first thing I checked. I was fiddling with a phaser pedal last week where the substitute transistors for the substitute transistors for the original transistors had a completely different pin out so I had to twist them to get them in the PCB, so feeling acutely aware of pin alignment at the moment.