Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

WhiteHowler posted:

I have a small speaker hooked up to the Pi that runs my Home Assistant for audible warnings, but it's only useful when I'm home and on the same floor.

I'd like to have Home Assistant be able to send me Emails or texts, but all of the methods I've looked up have some element that is difficult to set up or requires signing up for another (paid) service. Does anyone have an easy way to do this?

Looks like Home Assistant has built in support for SMTP: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/smtp/
That's one of those things you can just Google "[email provider] SMTP settings" and get what you need to enter into the config.

Once you get email working you can add text by emailing [phone number]@[gateway]. Wikipedia has a pretty good list of sms gateways: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateway#Email_clients?wprov=sfla1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Can you not just use the mobile app and set up push notifications? I mostly use them as a rudimentary security system, eg I get sent a still from the camera in my garage if the door is opened, but it’s simple enough to add to any automation.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any good options other than the Eve Aqua for HomeKit watering control? I have a couple garden beds I’d like to automate the soaker hoses I have put down, so thinking faucet -> manifold -> Eve Aqua on one output and then split the output of that with another manifold to the beds via hoses to the buried soakers.

Just waiting for a sale on it on amazon!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PBCrunch posted:

What is the cheapest Google Assistant home speaker device that has line out and will work with Youtube Music? We have several Echo Dots with external amps and speakers connected, but we are Youtube Premium subscribers, and that comes with Youtube Music. And Youtube Music doesn't work on Alexa. We bring an Echo and a powered speaker out to our little inflatable pool, but Amazon Prime music sucks and never has the songs we ask for. Amazon makes multiple cheap Alexa devices that have terrible or no speakers but make up for it with line out. I can't seem to find something like that with Google Assistant.

If you aren't a stickler for the utmost audio quality you can always just pair a Mini to an audio device of your choice over Bluetooth.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My in-laws have an AirBnb and they're asking for recommendations for how to outfit it with a bunch of smart stuff. So basically this is starting with a clean slate, and I'm trying to figure out which ecosystem to dive into. Generally, I've been kind of averse to smart home stuff myself except for the thermostat, which is just too useful not to have. I'm still wary of having too many connected cameras and stuff in a private residence. But in an AirBnb situation, those concerns are kind of out the window, so it just comes down to what will work best for the best amount of money.

The 4 things we're most interested in right now are:

• Door lock with keyless entry
  • Thermostat
  • Video doorbell
  • Possible additional security cameras

The main factor that I think will drive all the other ecosystem decisions is the door lock. The way we want this to work is that it'll have a keypad and we can change the code remotely. Preferably visitors will not have to download an app or anything, just know the code. So far, the one that seems to best meet these requirements is the Nest x Yale lock.

So, that would lead me to go with Nest stuff all the way, for the thermostat and cameras and stuff. On the other hand, price-wise, Amazon mops the floor with them. I'm suspicious of why the prices are so low, but again, since this isn't really a private residence I kind of don't care that much. However, I've had a surprisingly difficult time finding out if there's one specific smart lock that's the go-to device for Amazon's ecosystem, as opposed to just an "Alexa enabled" device that you can like, talk to or whatever. I see something called August which doesn't really look like the kind I want. Could anyone point me in the right direction here? I'm not even sure what Amazon's smart home stuff is called, exactly. (Alexa? Echo? Ring? All of the above?)

The second most important factor would be the thermostat. This is where I'm inclined to go with Amazon's, which is dirt cheap and seems well reviewed enough. But if we end up going with the Nest door lock, I might stick with the Nest thermostat.

I'm probably overthinking the whole ecosystem lock-in thing a little, but I suspect that being able to control everything from one app would result in fewer tech support calls down the line.

(Probably goes without saying, but the location does have WiFi and it's been working pretty much great.)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sir Lemming posted:

My in-laws have an AirBnb and they're asking for recommendations for how to outfit it with a bunch of smart stuff. So basically this is starting with a clean slate, and I'm trying to figure out which ecosystem to dive into. Generally, I've been kind of averse to smart home stuff myself except for the thermostat, which is just too useful not to have. I'm still wary of having too many connected cameras and stuff in a private residence. But in an AirBnb situation, those concerns are kind of out the window, so it just comes down to what will work best for the best amount of money.

The 4 things we're most interested in right now are:

• Thermostat
  • Video doorbell

The main factor that I think will drive all the other ecosystem decisions is the door lock. The way we want this to work is that it'll have a keypad and we can change the code remotely. Preferably visitors will not have to download an app or anything, just know the code. So far, the one that seems to best meet these requirements is the Nest x Yale lock.

So, that would lead me to go with Nest stuff all the way, for the thermostat and cameras and stuff. On the other hand, price-wise, Amazon mops the floor with them. I'm suspicious of why the prices are so low, but again, since this isn't really a private residence I kind of don't care that much. However, I've had a surprisingly difficult time finding out if there's one specific smart lock that's the go-to device for Amazon's ecosystem, as opposed to just an "Alexa enabled" device that you can like, talk to or whatever. I see something called August which doesn't really look like the kind I want. Could anyone point me in the right direction here? I'm not even sure what Amazon's smart home stuff is called, exactly. (Alexa? Echo? Ring? All of the above?)

The second most important factor would be the thermostat. This is where I'm inclined to go with Amazon's, which is dirt cheap and seems well reviewed enough. But if we end up going with the Nest door lock, I might stick with the Nest thermostat.

I'm probably overthinking the whole ecosystem lock-in thing a little, but I suspect that being able to control everything from one app would result in fewer tech support calls down the line.

(Probably goes without saying, but the location does have WiFi and it's been working pretty much great.)
I'd strongly look at the Ring Ecosystem. There's a Yale lock that integrates, the cameras are fine (the floodlight pro cams are amazing), and it's also an alarm system which I would strongly consider for an AirBnB.
Thermostats: https://ring.com/collections/smart-thermostats
Lock: https://ring.com/collections/smart-home-automation
Ring Doorbell Pro (Well worth the upgrade over the OG): https://ring.com/products/video-doorbell-pro
Alarm system: https://ring.com/products/security-system-alarm-8

With Prime Day coming up, lots of this stuff will be on deep discount. I've got 2 of the alarm system and they've been really solid. The monitoring is cheap, $100/year, and adds a lifetime warranty to everything connected, plus long storage on the cameras. Well worth it, especially for an income-generating property.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

sharkytm posted:

I'd strongly look at the Ring Ecosystem. There's a Yale lock that integrates, the cameras are fine (the floodlight pro cams are amazing), and it's also an alarm system which I would strongly consider for an AirBnB.
Thermostats: https://ring.com/collections/smart-thermostats
Lock: https://ring.com/collections/smart-home-automation
Ring Doorbell Pro (Well worth the upgrade over the OG): https://ring.com/products/video-doorbell-pro
Alarm system: https://ring.com/products/security-system-alarm-8

With Prime Day coming up, lots of this stuff will be on deep discount. I've got 2 of the alarm system and they've been really solid. The monitoring is cheap, $100/year, and adds a lifetime warranty to everything connected, plus long storage on the cameras. Well worth it, especially for an income-generating property.

i have been debating on which door bell to get - i may as well get the doorbell pro since i already have the alarm. I just had a wish to be able to record stuff on frigate as well.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

RoboBoogie posted:

i have been debating on which door bell to get - i may as well get the doorbell pro since i already have the alarm. I just had a wish to be able to record stuff on frigate as well.
I wanted a smart doorbell, but I realized I can't find the transformer for my existing doorbell. It's not in the garage, it's not in the attic, the wires from the "bell" speaker just go into the ceiling, never to be seen again.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

WhiteHowler posted:

I wanted a smart doorbell, but I realized I can't find the transformer for my existing doorbell. It's not in the garage, it's not in the attic, the wires from the "bell" speaker just go into the ceiling, never to be seen again.

Same, I actually paid two people to look for it. It puts out power but just not enough to use a wired doorbell. I ended up getting a battery doorbell with a wired option and it does put enough power that the battery has never lost any charge in months of use.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does anyone have experience running a headless or VM Android phone or image as a server? I've rigged home assistant to read the Schlage Home lock app notifications but don't want it to rely on my phone in my pocket all the time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Does anyone have experience running a headless or VM Android phone or image as a server? I've rigged home assistant to read the Schlage Home lock app notifications but don't want it to rely on my phone in my pocket all the time.

What lock is this? I'm guessing not the zwave one since that one connects directly to HA.

In a vacuum, this seems like maybe you have the wrong hardware for what you're trying to do.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but in your garage, have you looked up toward the ceiling? Mine is about 6 inches from my ceiling by my hallway/garage door. Super weird place for a doorbell transformer but hey, there it was. You could also use a tone and probe kit to trace the wires. The previous owner of mine drywalled in the bell since they used a battery bell. I found it with a tone and probe, and it was fairly easy to spot since it was a bad drywall/paint patch. Instead of cutting it open to get to the wires, I said gently caress it and just bought a Ring remote chime instead.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

WhiteHowler posted:

mine was in the utility room, i missed it at first because it was on the side of the panel, they can be literally anywhere

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thanks! Ring sounds like a pretty good bet. I guess it's sort of "owned by" Amazon but sort of hands off, so I had trouble remembering what it was called. It does seem like the "Amazon thermostat" doesn't necessarily work with it, but there are other inexpensive ones like Honeywell that appear to.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Yeah, lots of doorbell transformers are literally mounted to the side of the breaker box through a knockout. I upgraded mine to a 30VA model and it runs 2 Ring Pros with no trouble.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
the house came with a simply safe door bell, i took it off because the thing cant hold a charge anymore.

I used my voltage detector at the door and the wires were nto giving any current. which was weird so i may have a blown transformer as well. if its not behind the bell then i may give up on it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The one neat thing about Ring is if you pay the $100/year for unlimited cameras, you get like an automatic 10% discount or something when you buy additional cams on Amazon.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

RoboBoogie posted:

the house came with a simply safe door bell, i took it off because the thing cant hold a charge anymore.

I used my voltage detector at the door and the wires were nto giving any current. which was weird so i may have a blown transformer as well. if its not behind the bell then i may give up on it.

What voltage detector were you using? Doorbells run on 24 VAC or less, and non-contact AC voltage detectors typically don't read below 90... maybe 50, but certainly not 24 or less. I mean, they're not rated for it, at least... maybe they'll work, but I don't really trust them anyhow.

It's also not going to have any current flowing unless it has a light or the switch is pressed. Only real way to check is with a multi meter set to read AC voltage. If that reads 0, then something's up.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Continuing the Ring discussion, I see that the 2020 video doorbell is $100 less than the Video Doorbell 3 (aka half the price). Is there a compelling reason to spend the extra $100 on the newer model?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

What voltage detector were you using? Doorbells run on 24 VAC or less, and non-contact AC voltage detectors typically don't read below 90... maybe 50, but certainly not 24 or less. I mean, they're not rated for it, at least... maybe they'll work, but I don't really trust them anyhow.

It's also not going to have any current flowing unless it has a light or the switch is pressed. Only real way to check is with a multi meter set to read AC voltage. If that reads 0, then something's up.

The fifteen dollar one that beeps when there is juice flowing. i dont have a volt meter.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

RoboBoogie posted:

The fifteen dollar one that beeps when there is juice flowing. i dont have a volt meter.

That's not likely to detect doorbell voltage.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Sir Lemming posted:

My in-laws have an AirBnb and they're asking for recommendations for how to outfit it with a bunch of smart stuff.

• Thermostat
  • Video doorbell

Maybe goes without saying, but make sure youre aware of AirBnb’s rules about cameras, as well as local laws in/around a rented premises

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm at my parents' house and my poor mother's X10 system isn't working. This thing is like a final joke from my Dad, rat's nest of X10 modules and wireless transceivers to work on undercabinet and fixed lighting. I can't troubleshoot the freaking thing, I can't find if there are any new loads or anything that are attenuating the signaling, etc.

I'm at my wit's end and about to tear everything out. Looking for simple replacement options that let me maintain a remote. I would replace this stuff with ZigBee/Zwave but my Mom is used to using a remote to adjust the lighting and I want to maintain that. See the remote examples below:

So, is there a Zigbee/Zwave hub that has a remote? My mom is not going to run HomeAssistant. She has a smartphone but that can be a stretch goal.

My requirements:
  • Light system with more modern / reliable signaling than X10. Prefer ZigBee / Zwave
  • Dimmable wall switches (physical wired in controls) that also support remote operation
  • Physical remote control to replace the current method of turning off/on/dimming. I really only need 4-5 switches or scenes, not 16 or whatever these X10s support.
  • Remote plugs that are dimmable like the old X-10 lamp modules. I have Zigbee/Zwave wall plug switches, but I need these to be dimmable.
  • Hub recommendation. This house does have Ethernet and WiFi overlay.

Thanks if anyone has an idea. If not, I'm going to try to get something called the Z-wave Minimote from eBay and see if it works for the remote part.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Does she need a hardware, physical handheld remote? Google Home has an app that shows all the devices and functions like a remote. Google Assistant screens will show a home control interface with all the devices listed with software switches.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes, I am planning on some kind of hard physical remote so that it's just like that X10 garbo it's replacing.
Right now I'm planning on replacing with 3 Lutron Caseta dimmers, as well as 3 plug-in switch dimmers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Sigh, that Euphy camera/doorlock kickstarter now got pushed back til october shipping, originally it was May iirc, then went to June then July now October..

Debating getting a refund now or might just let it ride and if it slips again pull the plug.

First kickstarter experience isn’t going too great! But probably kore due to supply chain issues than anything else. My main worry is the finished product will have corners cut now.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I was looking for a wifi camera that runs on battery that doesn't use the cloud. Something that sends the video to a home PC. Anything like this exist?

edit: I'd be open to a wired option, but I'm not sure what DIY options are available.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

downout posted:

I was looking for a wifi camera that runs on battery that doesn't use the cloud. Something that sends the video to a home PC. Anything like this exist?

edit: I'd be open to a wired option, but I'm not sure what DIY options are available.

Any surveillance camera that uses rtsp/rtmp will do. You can open the feed via vlc. Price is going to be slightly higher than cloud based ones.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

SlowBloke posted:

Any surveillance camera that uses rtsp/rtmp will do. You can open the feed via vlc. Price is going to be slightly higher than cloud based ones.

Or use Wyze cams and block them at the router after setup.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Thanks, this looks like a good option, as I only need one or two cams.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
All my bulbs and plugs are Tapo/TP-link and it seems they haven’t updated their iOS Widget in years, so it’s relegated to the bottom of the side-widget screen since it’s not the modern style of widget which can be added anywhere.

Is there any kind of third party app that can control Tapo stuff and show their on/off status as an iOS Widget without buying any extra hardware?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

salted hash browns posted:

Would you mind sharing some of the things that work better on homebridge than home assistant?

I'm planning a new setup and was preparing to use home assistant. However, Siri/HomeKit is my primary (but not exclusive) way I interact with most of my devices. Perhaps homebridge would be simpler for me?

Sorry for the late reply. I have a dyson fan and some switches that were unreliably responsive in home assistant and often every time I updated I had to remove and reinstall them to get them to work, and if power went out or my internet dropped or something, it was often a while until I could use these things again. In homebridge they all just work seamlessly and have since the initial install several months ago.

I haven't tried to push anything from homebridge into another controller so if that's what you're trying to do I don't have any experience than that.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm looking to start using Zigbee things for integration with Home Assistant, specifically temperature and humidity sensors. What I don't understand is compatibility and control - right now I've got SmartLife integration with Home Assistant set up and I can see sensors which claim to integrate with that app - do I have to have a hub of the same brand as the sensors for this to work?

My goal is to have my raspberry pi running Home Assistant in the house, connected to Ethernet, then have a wifi Zigbee hub in the garage, connected to a temperature sensor there. I just don't know what compatibility I need to ensure - whether I have to get the same brand or app support for them all, or whether the hub just acts as a bridge and I only need sensors that integrate with the SmartLife app. Does that make sense?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I think Home Assistant can support a variety of Zigbee sticks. My recommendation for a Zigbee stick would be the Conbee 2, though you can likely find cheaper sticks.

You would plug the Zigbee stick directly into your Pi and configure Home Assistant to use it. Then, depending on how far away your garage is from your Pi, you may need to purchase a Zigbee repeater or two (I like the Tradfri Ikea repeaters).

Once you have Zigbee coverage to the garage, it is just a matter of getting temp and humidity sensors. The Aquara sensors are hard to beat, especially if you’re running the Conbee with Tradfri repeaters, but know that pretty much the whole line of Aquara sensors are cheap, high-quality, but do not like to talk to all Zigbee repeaters. If you go Aquara, do your research to ensure you’re buying repeaters that will repeat for Aquara and do not add any repeaters that don’t repeat Aquara.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The garage is detached and ~20m away from the house with no opportunity for repeaters in between - this is why I believed I'd need a wifi hub, since the garage does have cat6 to it and a wifi AP.

It sounds like you have clarified that one does need to ensure brand compatibility between components though, so I will look at the Aqara stuff.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

The garage is detached and ~20m away from the house with no opportunity for repeaters in between - this is why I believed I'd need a wifi hub, since the garage does have cat6 to it and a wifi AP.

It sounds like you have clarified that one does need to ensure brand compatibility between components though, so I will look at the Aqara stuff.

20m would be a stretch for a Zigbee mesh, yeah.

Also, for the most part, Zigbee is just Zigbee, though the aforementioned Aquara sensors are finicky with some Zigbee repeaters. Most every other Zigbee device will just work with others.

How about this for an option: Home Assistant can talk to the Ecowitt GW1100 hub (Home Assistant integration, Amazon link to hub), which is a RF hub with a 100m range and can talk to really excellent, cheap temperature and humidity sensors (Amazon link). Would something like that work? I think there is even a combined Ecowitt hub plus extra temp sensor that can be had for a few dollars cheaper than buying both separately.

Edit: To be clear, the GW1100 hub has an onboard temp and humidity sensor and connects through WiFi. So you could put it in your garage, connect it to WiFi, then set up the integration with Home Assistant so that It can collect data from the hub. Therefore, you might not even need any extra sensors, though they are available to buy if you want data from another location.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 12, 2022

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks for the suggestion, though following my last post I saw a load of Aqara stuff was discounted for Prime Day so got:

- A hub that can use Ethernet for the garage
- A hub that uses wifi & USB power for in the house
- Three temperature sensors
- Some cube controller thing ... it was cheap

It sounds like what you're saying is that I should also be able to add other brands to that in the future, though they may be funny with repeaters.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
Other brands will work fine. My zigbee network has some Sonoff temperature and humidity sensors, a bunch of Ikea lights and switches, and a few Hue bulbs. Most Zigbee Home Automation devices should pair with any hub and work, though of course some manufactures don't follow specs exactly. But a lot of people are working on fixing any "quirks" https://github.com/zigpy/zha-device-handlers For stuff like my 5 button Ikea remote or your Aquaria Cube people have written some code to get the right events into home assistant.

There's a site with a database of zigbee devices and compatibility here https://zigbee.blakadder.com Though i think they under report compatibility.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Ikea, is there any alternative to the Tradfri gateway for exposing their stuff to Homekit? That part seems impossible to find these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
I don't see any simple turnkey solutions. You could setup Home Assistant, or a combination of Home Bridge and Zigbee2MQTT https://z2m.dev