Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Retro Arena (aka TheRA) & rooted Android on the rg353p: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu7PVYO6SjM. Slaminger's no reviewer so don't expect an exciting vid, but since ArkOS isn't going to be available it's nice to know for sure there'll be a more unlocked alternative to JelOS.

Honestly, my biggest concern right now that hasn't been gone over in any review I've seen is the eject mechanism on SD1. I'll almost certainly be swapping between Linux and Android a lot and as far as I've seen the only way to boot android is to eject the card. Really hope I don't end up breaking the port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

Taki's video is pretty wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poOk-zH2O6k

Its either a 90hz screen or some mythical 124hz screen lol

The build quality over all seems pretty fantastic as well

I really wanted the SN30 to get an update but for some reason the looks of the Anbernic one doesn’t do it for me as much

I just think this looks better. Probably the bezels and smaller sides.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rolo posted:

I really wanted the SN30 to get an update but for some reason the looks of the Anbernic one doesn’t do it for me as much

I just think this looks better. Probably the bezels and smaller sides.
Yeah it does look better, the RG353 just made things too bulbous to fit the SNES aesthetic, plus they added the thick black border and giant ANBERNIC logo chin... but it looks like some stickers can help with that

Instant improvement

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Wow I was unprepared for how TINY the Miyoo Mini is. It's so portable and the screen looks pretty great!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Yeah it does look better, the RG353 just made things too bulbous to fit the SNES aesthetic, plus they added the thick black border and giant ANBERNIC logo chin... but it looks like some stickers can help with that

Instant improvement

That actually looks quite a bit better imo.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Hell, I HAVE an RP2+ and I’m weighing selling it to get this, but the RP2+ is better, right?

Right?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

beep-beep car is go posted:

Hell, I HAVE an RP2+ and I’m weighing selling it to get this, but the RP2+ is better, right?

Right?

The RP2+ is better than the RG353. Consider maybe being less easily swayed by internet video reviews next time?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Right?

It mostly depends on how you feel about the controls on the RP2+.

Satisfied with them? No reason to switch. Can't stand 'em? The RG353P could be a substitute.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Well I didn’t buy it. Just wanted to for a little while.

I did finally come up with a storage solution though.

It’s a file folder holder from the container store.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Well I didn’t buy it. Just wanted to for a little while.

I did finally come up with a storage solution though.

I mean they've made charging stations for a while now

But if you already have the Anker USB multiport charger, yeah why not just use a file folder holder to organize them, looks like it works fine

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 23, 2022

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Saoshyant posted:

The RP2+ is better than the RG353. Consider maybe being less easily swayed by internet video reviews next time?

I won't fully believe this until I see a side-by-side comparison of both systems, with proper cfw/updates, running one of the more difficult systems. It's definitely pretty close regardless.

Of course, I'm sure even the stock Android on the rg353p probably has problems, because Anbernic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zzMisc posted:

I won't fully believe this until I see a side-by-side comparison of both systems, with proper cfw/updates, running one of the more difficult systems. It's definitely pretty close regardless.

Of course, I'm sure even the stock Android on the rg353p probably has problems, because Anbernic.

Well one of the devices is $99 and one of them is $140 for nearly the same performance.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

zzMisc posted:

The Phawx ran benchmarks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRQKOnrI3iw&t=694s

So it's pretty clear, the Retroid Pocket 2+ is over twice as powerful as the RG353P in CPU, and slightly slower in GPU, but for the systems these are emulating the CPU is what matters. Even for systems that they are both fast enough for, the extra CPU means that the RP2+ can run them with more runahead frames.

However the RG353P also has a better right analog, prominent d-pad, and can run linux, so it's not bad overall and still a big step up from the RG351P.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 23, 2022

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

This actually looks really sweet and now I wanna do similar. brb heading to Local Office Supply Store.

That's good to know, thank you; yeah I forgot about the RP2's single high-benchmark core that works well for emulation. I still want to see an actual in-game side-by-side just to see how the difference looks, but that seems pretty unambiguous.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 23, 2022

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Valve Steam Deck posted:

I mean they've made charging stations for a while now

But if you already have the Anker USB multiport charger, yeah why not just use a file folder holder to organize them, looks like it works fine

The file holder looks more useful tbh

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

MarcusSA posted:

Well one of the devices is $99 and one of them is $140 for nearly the same performance.

Yeah but one of them is cuter!!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The biggest issue I have with the 353 is that they don't have a version without the ugly as hell American SNES colours.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Whereas I want the concave X and Y buttons from the ugly as hell American controller.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

remigious posted:

Yeah but one of them is cuter!!

Yeah I agree, the purple RP2+ is adorable

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

njsykora posted:

The biggest issue I have with the 353 is that they don't have a version without the ugly as hell American SNES colours.

What's it like being a crazy insane person

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
US SNES colours suck rear end compared to the SFC/PAL SNES colours, sorry

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

US SNES colours suck rear end compared to the SFC/PAL SNES colours, sorry

The American SNES design is butt ugly too. It’s not just the controller.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sakura on Etsy will 100% fabricate different buttons of the device is popular.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

njsykora posted:

The American SNES design is butt ugly too. It’s not just the controller.

Yep, trash design

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i will never forgive the purple and grey abomination.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The moulding is worse, but the colours are better. This is a fact

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

i will never forgive the purple and grey abomination.

They looked at the Super Famicom and thought gently caress no American's won't buy this rounded edge poo poo we need loving CORNERS.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I was 9? 10? When the SNES came out. We didn't give a poo poo about CORNERS or COLORS because we got to play loving Super Mario World and Final Fantasy 6. That console could have been neon green and orange and it would have been awesome.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Walla posted:

I was 9? 10? When the SNES came out. We didn't give a poo poo about CORNERS or COLORS because we got to play loving Super Mario World and Final Fantasy 6. That console could have been neon green and orange and it would have been awesome.

You misspelled Earthbound.
Despite wanting to play it back in the day I have never taken the time to do so until now. I am about 2 months into playing it, but that is about 2-3 hours per night roughly 3 nights per week on average. I'm grinding all my characters to level 99 before what I assume is the final battle. ChronoTrigger is next but I will probably be playing that on my rg552.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'm always amazed by how much free time I must have had as a kid, I remember busting through like Chrono trigger and breath of fire in like a few weeks, and now I'm lucky if I get through one era in a month.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Alucard posted:

I'm always amazed by how much free time I must have had as a kid, I remember busting through like Chrono trigger and breath of fire in like a few weeks, and now I'm lucky if I get through one major part in a month.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
reading/posting/watching youtube about video games devours way too much of the time that i should just spend playing them

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

reading/posting/watching youtube about video games devours way too much of the time that i should just spend playing them

Hella :same:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

otter posted:

Despite wanting to play it back in the day I have never taken the time to do so until now. I am about 2 months into playing it, but that is about 2-3 hours per night roughly 3 nights per week on average. I'm grinding all my characters to level 99 before what I assume is the final battle. ChronoTrigger is next but I will probably be playing that on my rg552.

Have you not played CT??

If you’re doing it on a retro handheld thing you better have earbuds in. The music is loving good.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Rolo posted:

Have you not played CT??

If you’re doing it on a retro handheld thing you better have earbuds in. The music is loving good.

I have not.
I usually play without sound for most games because I sit there and play while "watching" stupid poo poo on tv with my wife.
She wants to watch all this dumb crap and she doesn't like it when I "hide" in the office and play. So I take my switch or the rg552 out to the family room and sit with her while she watches whatever dumb crap she watches on youtube or TLC.

If the music in CT is that good I will probably throw an ear bud in.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

otter posted:

It's been a while since I played last, but I dont think you need to be anywhere near 99 to beat the final boss. 70-80 should be just fine. You'll probably steamroll him at 99.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Since selling my RP2+ I've gotten a Razer Kishi since those dropped in price and I am much happier with the form factor of it. I don't know if there's a more general Dolphin on Android thread to ask this question but I really want to know, how in the heck did people get Wind Waker to run so well on the RP2+? My current phone is way beefier than a RP2+ and none of the Dolphin forks I have tried have been able to withstand a decent framerate going indoors and in the forest.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Beffica posted:

going indoors and in the forest.

Neither of those sound like "running around on Outset Island for 20 seconds and then enthusiastically letting everyone know that Wind Waker runs great before moving on to something else" to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Beffica posted:

Since selling my RP2+ I've gotten a Razer Kishi since those dropped in price and I am much happier with the form factor of it. I don't know if there's a more general Dolphin on Android thread to ask this question but I really want to know, how in the heck did people get Wind Waker to run so well on the RP2+? My current phone is way beefier than a RP2+ and none of the Dolphin forks I have tried have been able to withstand a decent framerate going indoors and in the forest.
Dunno what phone you have but you gotta keep in mind everyone getting anywhere near "passable" performance on gamecube on a cheap device like the RP2+ is using some special dophin mmjr build for super low end systems and running games at like 0.5 or 0.6 scale (so basically half the pixels are actually rendered, not something as apparent on a 640x480 3.5" screen as on a larger phone screen), on top of the fact that it just takes less power overall to run fewer pixels (see the RG353P performance at 640x480 vs the RG503 performance at 960x544)

sethsez posted:

Neither of those sound like "running around on Outset Island for 20 seconds and then enthusiastically letting everyone know that Wind Waker runs great before moving on to something else" to me.
Also this

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 24, 2022