Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

ultrafilter posted:

Pill Baby

I haven't actually finished this one yet but halfway through I'm willing to recommend it.

This looks crazy as gently caress, but I'm disappointed the MC isn't actually a baby. Or a mother feeding a baby pills, like some ultra-demented version of A Boy and His Blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I am still baffled and confused that the mid-2000s anime style in Neon White is such a deal breaker for some people but I've seen it happen over and over in multiple places so I guess that design choice is just going to work against the game. Maybe I'm un-phased by it because I lived through all the much, much worse dialog of Japanese games localized into English in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Do games like Person 4 get this kind of reaction? Because that's exactly what it reminded me of.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Persona 4 is what brought the series to the mainstream so if it did it was pretty muted

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think that was P3.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Maybe? Persona 4 golden was the first time I ever heard about any of those types of games

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The marketing power of the Vita.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kazil posted:

you are posting in a thread about adults playing video games

Oh, then why does steam have an "Adults Only" function?

Checkmate

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

I am still baffled and confused that the mid-2000s anime style in Neon White is such a deal breaker for some people but I've seen it happen over and over in multiple places so I guess that design choice is just going to work against the game. Maybe I'm un-phased by it because I lived through all the much, much worse dialog of Japanese games localized into English in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Do games like Person 4 get this kind of reaction? Because that's exactly what it reminded me of.

It's a statistically insignificant group of people whose sense of social propriety developed in the late 90s.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Impermanent posted:

It's a statistically insignificant group of people whose sense of social propriety developed in the late 90s.

Yeah, but not in a Steam thread on SA in 2022.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

McCracAttack posted:

Full english voice acting multiples the cringe a thousandfold, especially when they're doing child-like voices for female characters.

I have a lot of issues with Anime-style VA - infantilised voices for women, or the random weird grunts like in FF7 Remake. To hear them in in english, in a a game that isn't even from Japan is like... Multiples of cringe. I don't know how else to explain it.

Like river city girls I skip all the VA because it's too... strange.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 23, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh god not the stupid grunt poo poo here to.

People have extremely weird hang ups

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

My hang-up is your hang-up about my hang-ups.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwYNca4iog

is there a game on steam where i can play as Tim "The Toolman" Taylor

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
When the gently caress is the Summer sale starting so we can talk about that instead of whatever the hell this is?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jagged Jim posted:

When the gently caress is the Summer sale starting so we can talk about that instead of whatever the hell this is?

tomorrow, supposedly.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Jagged Jim posted:

Hey, I need to replace a controller. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm playing Dark Souls for the first time. Anything I should know?

Yakuza.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Diephoon posted:

My favorite anime

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BrianRx posted:

Hey, I need to replace a controller. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm playing Dark Souls for the first time. Anything I should know?

Yakuza.

Yeah just get an xbox controller. You can get them for $35 on sale pretty regularly

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

this is the most hosed up thing I've read all day

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the past couple of pages did not disprove my boomer accusation

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Diephoon posted:

Morrowind has a mod making everyone talk like Tim.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah just get an xbox controller. You can get them for $35 on sale pretty regularly

My wireless 360 controller is still working flawlessly after like 14 years

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

AfricanBootyShine posted:

victrix posted:

this is the most hosed up thing I've read all day

:emptyquote:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

My wireless 360 controller is still working flawlessly after like 14 years

I have one that is 10 years old and the only reason I replaced it is because it squeaks a bit on the triggers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ultrafilter posted:

Some obscure picks that are worth keeping an eye on in the big upcoming sale:

Guild of Darksteel

Solid Prince of Persia-like that'll keep you entertained for a few hours.

This is in the newest fanatical bundle with a handful of other interesting games. 7 games for a bit over a buck per.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Diephoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBmoQSHfO2U

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Diephoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S31NnLTNSlc

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Diephoon posted:

all of them, if you try hard enough

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
So... Space Haven is 50% off for a short time and I've had my eye on it for a while. It's been in EA for like two years or something and it's still slowly dripping out improvements. Anyone have any recent opinions on it? Worth a go for a tenner?

EDIT - vvv Ah Thanks. Sorry to hear that. I may still give a whirl since it's cheap, but I'll adjust expectations accordingly.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 23, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I tried to play it recently (last week). I can't put what I don't like about it into words exactly, but it has developed in the exact opposite direction I hoped it would.

They've been simplifying and streamlining the ship construction and management, which was pretty much all I liked about it in original versions. Now it's not very involved, you don't have to put any thought into where things are built and you can slap them all over the place because e.g. now you can just vent oxygen between rooms instead of needing separate life support systems for separate parts of the ship - you no longer need to worry about building power networks throughout the ship because it's all automatic, etc.

On the flipside the things they've been focused on expanding are things that I don't care about or that were just weak parts of the game to begin with - they've added a ton of purely decorative furniture, reworked the crew relationships system so that crew members fall in love, placed a much larger emphasis on "crew combat" (difficult to explain how impactless the system feels but 'crew combat' is literally just an RTS where your units have guns and the enemy units don't and all you have to do to win is make sure your characters stand still because they only shoot while standing still - in the new updates your units are much flimsier and also you can't control them and they like to just run around in circles not firing and not listening to commands)

I've never played it enough to know if ship vs ship combat is any fun but based on the crew combat I'm going go guess "not even close"

And most critically the world outside of your ship is just entirely lifeless and boring. You travel from point to point and mine asteroids at those points (mining an asteroid consists of clicking on it, then clicking a "mine" button), and that is the vast majority of the gameplay. Occasionally instead of an asteroid there's a derelict ship which you can go do crew combat in and then salvage, and there are occasionally non-derelict ships that you can trade with. But all of these systems lead nowhere and there's nothing to do with them, no ultimate goal, no greater galaxy to interact with, etc.

Personally I feel like it's in a worse state now than it was at the beginning of EA but :shrug: I have weird opinions on videogames

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The page for Darkest Dungeon 2 just went up if anyone wants to follow/wishlist. Release isn’t until the game goes 1.0 in (for now) Feb. next year.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1940340/Darkest_Dungeon_II/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Rune Factory 5's coming to Steam on July 13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Edy6Bx_G8

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1702330/Rune_Factory_5/
with the niche genre tax though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gyoru posted:

Rune Factory 5's coming to Steam on July 13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Edy6Bx_G8

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1702330/Rune_Factory_5/
with the niche genre tax though

I've heard that even outside from the heavy performance issues on Switch it's not as good as RF4. Has anyone played it? Wondering if I should pick up the RF4 port because I never finished it and haven't played in years, or if I should wait for 5.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

goferchan posted:

I've heard that even outside from the heavy performance issues on Switch it's not as good as RF4. Has anyone played it? Wondering if I should pick up the RF4 port because I never finished it and haven't played in years, or if I should wait for 5.

I haven't played 5 yet but 4 is real good. The sale is coming up and I'm sure it will be $20 and I can deffo recommend it at that price.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

That's a whole lot of money for a Stardew Valley ripoff!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Phigs posted:

That's a whole lot of money for a Stardew Valley ripoff!

lol

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

goferchan posted:

I played through the main story on the Switch. I love this genre and I love Rune Factory, so I played it for around 100 hours. It's a janky, ugly, stuttery mess, though some of the game mechanics have had some quality of life changes added since 4. Town events show up as icons on the minimap, so you won't go days without progressing because you don't happen upon the next bit like in 4. You can "add all" to fodder and lumber/stone bins instead of having to throw each stack individually.

The environmental textures are muddy and hideous. On festival days, a terrible carnival song plays for the entire day, not just during the actual festival. The ambient sounds include bird chirping that is so annoying, I played the whole game with ambient sounds turned off.

Combat is ridiculously easy on the highest difficulty. Boss encounters are no more challenging than regular enemies. Unlike 4, there is never a point where the enemies become strong and force you to grind or upgrade equipment. You will always be stronger than them, and that's before you bother bringing around up to 3 companions.

The in-game days also run pretty long. After 100 hours and completing the story, I was in the second week of winter, year 1. Often I would finish my daily chores, clear whatever dungeon or story thing I felt like doing, or a side quest or whatever, and it would be like 3 or 4pm. Trying to fill the entire days made the game go at a snail's pace.

So yeah, I like to chill out with these types of games, so I would get past its shortcomings. But know that it's a mediocre entry.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 23, 2022

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

goferchan posted:

I played 5 on the Switch and boyyyyyyyy do its seams show. I mean, I'm not sorry I played it, but some parts of the game were way better than others.

- The farming stuff is cute and fine and works well enough. It's just another iteration on the RF formula.
- The dungeon crawling/combat is kinda clunky and awkward but I managed to make it work with a little effort and some annoyed noises. You can also have multiple people/monsters in your party now, which is cool.
- The plot is completely unsurprising.
- The friendship/romance/townsfolk garbage is super basic and doesn't work all that well. It really feels like they put in the absolute minimum of effort and said GOOD ENOUGH, SHIP IT. You can have same-sex relationships now, which is cool.
- The graphics are reasonably good on monsters and kinda eh on humanoids. Seriously, I don't know what's up with that terrible magnetic-foot walk cycle.

So, yeah, first RF game on a new console, all-new graphics, required a lot of updating and retooling and stuff. Your character's interaction with townspeople is where the game made most of its cuts. If that's at all important to you, maybe wait for a sale.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I think what these village task games need is story lines that turn toward Twin Peaks territory when you're deep in the game and getting to know the characters really well. I don't want to play one of those story games for it, but while I was playing Portion Pemit I was drat, i really want these character's stories to segue into a murder mystery as this town's friendly facade begins to crumble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mescal posted:

I think what these village task games need is story lines that turn toward Twin Peaks territory when you're deep in the game and getting to know the characters really well. I don't want to play one of those story games for it, but while I was playing Portion Pemit I was drat, i really want these character's stories to segue into a murder mystery as this town's friendly facade begins to crumble

The first 10 minutes of The Good Life are basically that.