Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've heard that, but I've also heard people say that the Japanese narrator is also supposed to be mocking the events onscreen, just in a way that's not as clear to a foreign audience (he's mimicking a variety show host, basically).

So it's a wash for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Fwiw I read the manga first and the narrator often comes across pithy and sarcastic anyway so when I saw clips of the dub it didn’t really come across as super unfaithful to the intent of the original even if it’s kinda extra.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean like the difference between the narrators in that clip is as obvious as it seems, the jp narrator is definitely going for a bit of a jp comedy game show thing but that's still kind of a different style from the us narrator there. it just seems like the us dub really heavily plays up wacky vocal affections in bits where the humor in the jp dub, comes from how straight the delivery is, which is a valid choice for an english dub i guess i personally just kinda like the jp va more

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Lord El Melloi Case Files is real good. The story in the gacha game is also somehow good, and Ive finished it all without spending a dime or that much time playing.

Theres still no official translation for it though right?

Lord El Melloi owns.

I want to say I read somewhere that FSN has the longest VN script of all time. I played a fans translation years ago, but it really is long as gently caress.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

did any of the jokes even make sense then if you didn't know anything else..wtf

for the large part, the situations are really funny on their own. Stuff like the grand prix event, or the one where Bezerker has to go out and buy batteries. Basically any scene with Lancer.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
really looking forward to chainsaw man anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfJkvnXx8vw

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
halloween

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i liked unlimited blade works and whatever the prequel show is that I watched first because I thought it was the first one. i had absolutely zero desire to see anything else though. i watched an episode or two of one of the other spinoffs? sequels? idk and it appeared to largely be the same formula and even plot with some twists and different characters and also they're a reboot or some poo poo. doesn't really make any sense to me since it seemed like it already had an ending but since all the shows are apparently connected to an endless stream of gacha money they're never going to stop (why are those games so popular? just buy scratchers Jesus)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larry Parrish posted:

i liked unlimited blade works and whatever the prequel show is that I watched first because I thought it was the first one. i had absolutely zero desire to see anything else though. i watched an episode or two of one of the other spinoffs? sequels? idk and it appeared to largely be the same formula and even plot with some twists and different characters and also they're a reboot or some poo poo. doesn't really make any sense to me since it seemed like it already had an ending but since all the shows are apparently connected to an endless stream of gacha money they're never going to stop (why are those games so popular? just buy scratchers Jesus)

If you enjoyed UBW, I would probably recommend watching the 3 Heavens Feel films since they adapt a different route of the original F/SN VN and it's in many ways sort of an antithesis to UBW, exploring the characters in a different situation that makes them evaluate things differently.

But otherwise yeah you can probably ignore the rest of the anime spinoffs.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the wider fate series is the result of the premise being easy to fit new stories into, most of them don't try to be directly connected to fate/stay night beyond minor allusions. fate/extra plays off it a bit more because it was an early spinoff but it's 90% just a science fantasy jrpg about being bisexual with tamamo no mae and the sequels branch out harder into their own weird thing. these spinoffs were happening long before fgo, and frankly most of what fgo's launched anime-wise has been among the weaker stuff, they're well animated but lackluster and overly direct adaptations of arcs from the game, which is pretty unlike fsn in structure and has a lot of its own things going on thematically and character-wise.

and it's not like fate/stay night having multiple endings already precludes doing interesting things with the cast. fate/hollow ataraxia is 30% sequel (that doesn't actually take place after any defined ending of fsn because nasu really doesn't give a poo poo about doing that lol) and 70% fandisc and it gives extra time to a lot of the best characters in the series and introduces a few of the most interesting ones, and emiya gohan in the same vein gives a more extensive look at their lives post-hollow ataraxia. the fsn spinoffs are cool, because fsn's characters have a lot you can do with them, and the rest of fate stuff is just its own thing to varying degrees of quality depending on the writer.

honestly i'd describe fate/zero as one of the more unnecessary attachments to f/sn's story cause while it has a few fun characters, most of what it attaches to the background of f/sn doesn't actually add very much. the best thing it gave us was waver velvet and iskandar

the biggest issue with fsn itself really is that, the fan translation, is not good. it's not the worst fan translation, but it is not very good and that makes the early going rough cause it's the hardest on long explanations, sol and prose. and not having a good adaptation of the fate route means losing out on a pretty significant chunk and while people like to dunk on that route it, has a lot of legitimately good scenes.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Lord El Melloi owns.

I want to say I read somewhere that FSN has the longest VN script of all time. I played a fans translation years ago, but it really is long as gently caress.

it absolutely isn't lol. it's pretty long but there's way, way longer, big vns get ultra dense sometimes. it's kinda cheating but you could say basically any console release of higurashi is longer when you account for combining the full eight original chapters with whatever console port-exclusive crap you get

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 23, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Is Arkinghts longer than FSN yet? I feel like it must be.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julias posted:

If you enjoyed UBW, I would probably recommend watching the 3 Heavens Feel films since they adapt a different route of the original F/SN VN and it's in many ways sort of an antithesis to UBW, exploring the characters in a different situation that makes them evaluate things differently.

But otherwise yeah you can probably ignore the rest of the anime spinoffs.

if im gonna watch more vn adaptations I might as well rewatch requiem for the phantom or steins;gate instead since i know I like those and it's been a few years. although I don't think I ever finished steins;gate 0 and I can't remember if it was because it was coming out at the time or because it sucked. the movie starring kurisu was good though.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

CSM anime+part 2 = take my money, please!!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ah the soul eater anime before it got mangled

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

symbolic posted:

CSM anime+part 2 = take my money, please!!

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

*for the third, maybe fourth, year in a row* I really should get around to watching a Fate show other than zero (which was awful and bad). I enjoyed Extella and the story in FGO, so I hope theyre more like that.

the canon shows are carnival phantasm, fate/grand carnival, and today's menu for the emiya family. everything else is spinoffs and filler and weird what-if scenarios

e; at least, that's what the fgo players tell me

Schir fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 23, 2022

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Finally got around to watching Josee the Tiger and the Fish. I liked how the female lead isn’t a squeaky voiced anime girl, just a normal 20 something japanese lady. I wanna hear more of that in anime it’s refreshing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Finally got around to watching Josee the Tiger and the Fish. I liked how the female lead isn’t a squeaky voiced anime girl, just a normal 20 something japanese lady. I wanna hear more of that in anime it’s refreshing.

It's a real good movie and I'm glad that it seems to be one of those movies that has kept going strong thanks to word of mouth. Not too shabby for an original movie without a big name director attached!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Lube Enthusiast posted:

wow had never heard of it, will check out

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The movie being mentioned made me remember that the short story collection that contains the story Josee, the Tiger and the Fish was based on finally got translated into English so I guess I'll snag that for some light summer reading!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

marumaru posted:

it's very different, i like both (though i watch the original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtvdKShsqVk

potential spoilers

sounds awful op

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually it's good. I like the way he says "packet seasoned rice"

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Look I'm normally a dub liker, but the kaguya dub is just not good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chalk me up as another hater on the kaguya dub.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's different, but I like it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i'm a dub unenjoyer personally
disenjoyer?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

dubs are good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dubs, I like to check em.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
NYAV Post is good dubbers. I'll always try English first and stick with it if it is good but some of the new stuff on Netflix has had painfully mediocre to average dubs.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Dubs, I like to check em.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nichijou, also a good dub

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Nichijou, also a good dub

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised. Though ultimately my position is comedy = subs, action and drama = dubs

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I just don't want to hear the same six American voice actors anymore, so bring on the subs.

Redline, Hellsing, Slayers, and Black Lagoon are my favorites for dub work though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont mind hearing repeat voices, it comes down to direction. Patrick Seitz rocks as JP in Redline and he's totally wasted in My Sempai is Annoying.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like hearing repeat voices personally, but I'm a VA nerd. Funi and Crunchyroll merging has put a lot of Texas VAs I'm more unfamiliar with into the general ecosystem anyhow.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

they all sound like youtubers. american youtuber voice

black lagoon dub is for the most part better than its sub i think. been a while since iv watched tho

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

well tbh its probably a good thing that they are all american sounding because the alternative is far worse (english)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There are some shows where I kind of like the Japanese and English dubs pretty much equally, Slayers (even though Sylphiel‘s original English VA could not act to save her life), and Cowboy Bebop (which I actually think works a little better in English for some reason) for example

The dubs for Soul Eater/Not and Fairy Tail weren’t bad either (Inuyasha/Yashahime as well though I vastly prefer Kagome’s original dub actress)