Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

plant a baobab in your yard to mark it as goon-safe

do you have baobabs near your house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

plant a baobab in your yard to mark it as goon-safe

Those are some of the coolest looking trees ever

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Large swathes of people without electricity for extended periods will be ... interesting

i feel like widespread and continual rolling blackouts are going to be the "and then quickly" part of the collapse.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
so when does vegas enter the :coolzone: ? i say by next spring

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Stereotype posted:

i feel like widespread and continual rolling blackouts are going to be the "and then quickly" part of the collapse.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oddly enough i've met a whole bunch of goons. Actually helped 2 of them get jobs, had another 1 stay at my house while they were interviewing for a job locally. Like 3-4 others just through random events. Worked with a few goons. Seattle's goony af. Out of all the goons i've met IRL only 1 goon ended up being a huge jerk and another goon had some kind of questionable relationship poo poo but nothing I could verify so I just kinda backed away from hangin.

I tried to go to a meet up once but I couldn't figure out who the gently caress the goons were at the restaurant so I just ended up doing karaoke by myself and had fun anyway.

I have an uncanny ability to get along with just about anyone despite being insanely introverted. I feel like this will help me in the collapse because I'm a big believer in good fences make good neighbors but if you need help with something, im there.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Laterite posted:

so when does vegas enter the :coolzone: ? i say by next spring

Finally, my thousands of hours of training in New Vegas will pay off

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Hooked up with a goonette once, she invited her dad over without mentioning it in the early morning and he made us spaghetti

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Blockade posted:

Hooked up with a goonette once, she invited her dad over without mentioning it in the early morning and he made us spaghetti

are you married yet?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

lmao they gerrymandered the goddamn electrical grid

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

this. no AC, no refrigeration, no communications? things will escalate pretty quickly if that happens

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

I looked at this for like 30 seconds going man thats a weird map of Texas before I started laughing

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Explains a few emails from my power company i didn't read but had subjects about "things you should know"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Unexpected higher temps also ramps up violence

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200817-the-sinister-ways-heatwaves-warp-the-mind

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I looked at this for like 30 seconds going man thats a weird map of Texas before I started laughing

greater texas, the kingdom of chonk

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fly Molo posted:

this. no AC, no refrigeration, no communications? things will escalate pretty quickly if that happens

no economic output at all really. service sector businesses require power to operate in basically any capacity and we've shifted basically our entire economy into the service sector. even arguably productive industries are going to incur massive unrecoverable losses if they have to internalize widespread electricity service disruptions. we're also absolutely going to prioritize power to the most unproductive parts of society, rich people's homes and the air-conditioning in their fancy office buildings, over things that are actually important, like refrigeration for poorer neighborhood food stores.

a month of rolling blackouts and you're going to have riots and the complete collapse of any sort of society we recognize.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

or the rich and the businesses buy generators and those who can’t either make their twice daily visit to McDonald’s or die

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
It will be forced mandatory blackouts. Other countries already have them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

High temps are real bad and it's hilarious that our incredibly dumb brains are constantly making us freak out about cold weather and snow instead

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
drat high temps just put me to sleep, thats the glory of hot vs cold. you can bask in your slow death by cooking instead of chattering to death. may be from having to actually be in high temps enough that im used to it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yup this is well known. people get way more antsy and hosed up when it's hot as hell, especially continuously hot at night.

falling down is a documentary on the dangers of heat

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

High temps are real bad and it's hilarious that our incredibly dumb brains are constantly making us freak out about cold weather and snow instead

i think historically cold was the primary danger and our poorly evolved lizard brains still haven't identified heat as a much more present and immediate danger

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Also The Predator comes to hunt when it's really hot so we'll be way more susceptible to that.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Not having refrigeration is really gonna gently caress up a lot of people imo

Can't wait for the return of Summer Complaint as a cause of infant mortality. Breast feed or die!

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Same, then I wondered why it was Saskatchewan and not Alberta since they're the ones who want to secede and join the U.S. as Texas North. Same funny hats, different weird accents.

I assume the drought is screwing up SaskPower's 20% hydroelectric. I thought they could just turn up the coal plants now because they have some sort of CCS scheme going. Maybe it doesn't actually do anything except shuffle money from one pouch to another?

munce
Oct 23, 2010

thats certainly a drought you got going on there

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
based on how horrible that website looks i can only assume it is an official government website

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Trabisnikof posted:

Finally scientific proof that reading this thread doesn’t have long term negative impacts:

https://www.pnas.org/doi/abs/10.1073/pnas.2122069119

sometimes, it’s so wild to hear, straight, from field experts, about the thing, because it can be so easy to identify with the subject matter

there’s gotta be some new fiction as good as this to help me get to grips with it, right?

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Xaris posted:

yup this is well known. people get way more antsy and hosed up when it's hot as hell, especially continuously hot at night.

falling down is a documentary on the dangers of heat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcSe-iY19Wo

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Unless posted:

sometimes, it’s so wild to hear, straight, from field experts, about the thing, because it can be so easy to identify with the subject matter

there’s gotta be some new fiction as good as this to help me get to grips with it, right?

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Paradoxish posted:

lol

No, I'm pretty sure we'd die from actually not producing enough food long before "raiders" bothered to come by to steal a single basket of tomatoes, peppers, and kale that they'd need to harvest themselves. Home gardens and even homestead-style farms are kind of by definition places that don't offer much potential for theft. There wouldn't actually be any food out there if we stopped maintaining it, and in the insane event that we were trying to live off our garden, there certainly wouldn't be any food for raiders to steal since we'd be eating all of it every day just to get by.
this is why i farm in the forest

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I get it, I get it. Shame, and the baggage of complicity, can be a part of understanding. But I still hold out my final crack/ping that that understanding is a part of whatever is more true than our present status quo.

Hardcore will never die, but we will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35g7cZEW9Aw

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Trabisnikof posted:

Finally scientific proof that reading this thread doesn’t have long term negative impacts:

https://www.pnas.org/doi/abs/10.1073/pnas.2122069119

Somebody explain to me how this isn't a "wrap it up for humanity" level revelation (well, confirmation of what was already obvious)
Combine it with this:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/78-adults-us-report-affected-severe-weather-caused/story?id=85496195
People in general are susceptible to propaganda until they're personally harmed by something, at which point they're only more likely to "believe in" it. But by the time cc impacts our lives, it will be too late to do anything about it.

Touche, capitalism. You knew how weak and stupid the human race is and won because of it

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

miso risky

Undecided Moderate
Jun 22, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Im curious how many of you home farmers use fertilizer

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Undecided Moderate posted:

I don't use any that i don't make myself at least. With composting, seaweed, chicken poo poo, and nettles the garden does fine, and i haven't had any problems. It's a very unscientific process for sure, but it seems to work. Lucky to have an abundance of organic material of all sorts about where i live, and the problem really has been there's been way too much too handle with only manual tools.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

bi crimes posted:

if I needed water, I would simply run through the forest to the idyllic, unpolluted stream and drink.

oh, all of the rivers and streams are toxic waste dumps now? oh

health nut guy I know here was exclusively drinking from a mountain spring because he didn't trust the town tap water

he also wasn't boiling it all and got some weird infection and now he's got colitis and is lactose intolerant

i stick to tap water, but mine just comes from an aquifer 200' below my property and I rely on not very sophisticated filters and annual testing to keep me from dying

Undecided Moderate posted:

Of course I loving do, I want them thicc round bottom girls. But I use a mix of self made compost and some organic poo poo.

In all seriousness I don't use anything on this poo poo I won't use on food crops because the runoff here all goes into food crop areas. And yes, the tomatoes that were directly downhill from the pot were the thickest tomato plants I've ever grown, shocking.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 15:06 on Jun 23, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

this is why i farm in the forest

Phew. You should be safe there.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Stereotype posted:

The Sun might come along and give us a nice big push

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Large swathes of people without electricity for extended periods will be ... interesting

Stereotype posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJwHZVl5Buk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Stereotype posted:

It's going to be the water scarcity, subsequent hoarding, and violent expropriations.