Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

Here is a shot of my front patio about 50 feet downwind from the dumbass tree. It's this every 3 days or so and it's not even the loving fall yet, and note these dumb trees dump leaves over like 6 months instead of all at once like a normal loving tree.

Please stop harassing this beautiful tree over the eight perfect leaves it gives you every week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I am on the neighbor's side.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Sycamores are cool in 100+ acre parks, like right down the street. In tiny backyards, not so much. Come on over and help rake leaves and pick up poo poo, you lazy neckbeards! :jerkbag:

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Leave those leaves alone. They provide for our pollinators, you monster!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Yeah, I'm honestly not trying to dogpile, but that photo has the same vibes as this:

I am super confused about why it's so terrible that there are a few crumpled leaves on the side of some pavers or whatever. If I freaked out about every leaf that fell in my yard it'd be a pretty sad life. Are you trying to have a perfect sculpted garden or something?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My kids school hands out free sycamores so I now have 3 of them that will be an absolute disaster after I am dead. Lol not that anyone will care cause they will probably be suffering some horrible post climate disaster existence.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Keyser_Soze posted:

Here is a pic of the house like 10 years ago before I bought it. Remember the cypress trees on the left were there for 20 years before they planted the sycamore.
Here it is from April.

I like your landscaping and see how that tree is a nuisance to what you've got going on, but I think trying to control their landscaping is just going to make everyone involved less happy

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

marjorie posted:

Yeah, I'm honestly not trying to dogpile, but that photo has the same vibes as this:

I am super confused about why it's so terrible that there are a few crumpled leaves on the side of some pavers or whatever. If I freaked out about every leaf that fell in my yard it'd be a pretty sad life. Are you trying to have a perfect sculpted garden or something?

That is every 3 days......look closer and note that the entire property is constantly blanketed with that poo poo, every nook, every cranny, every part of the roof, every rock, every bush, every plant....

You also cannot park a car in the 3rd spot at all or it gets absolutely demolished

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have a mature eastern sycamore in my front yard. It does drop some leaves throughout most of the year, but also, trees actually belong here and our weirdly sterile, manicured domiciles don't, so I don't have a lot of sympathy either. If you want your little plot of house and land to resemble an english manor-house, you can employ a small army of gardeners as they did; or you could accept that it's normal and natural to have some leaves around on the ground and just deal with the accumulations occasionally.

Sycamores are riparian-adapted, their roots seek water, mine sticks some fine roots into my sewer line so I have to get it cleaned out every couple or three years. It was planted directly over the sewer line, lol. Also I'm in California and we have a very lovely native sycamore species, but they planted an eastern one anyway. There's a bunch in my neighborhood so I think it was something they did in the whole development back when it was put up in 1957-8. They're very common landscaping trees though, so it's not like they planted something crazy in their yard. If they keep it reasonably watered it'll be a nice shade tree for decades to come.

Anyway, I digress: that tree was, by your own admittance, there when you moved into this house. It's likely that he owners of the tree's only legal responsibility is to keep it from falling on you or dropping limbs on your stuff. Depending on your local laws you may or may not have the right to have them prune it back to the property line, but it sounds like you actually hated them doing that? Regardless, there is nothing they can do short of completely removing the tree that will prevent it from dropping leaves on your property and you will need to just get used to that idea, or sell your house and move.

Even if they cut it back severely, and they absolutely should not do that to a healthy tree, it will grow new limbs and be back to dumping leaves everywhere in a couple or three years. But like I said, unless the tree is rotting or sick or something, they should not pollard it or severely prune it and the best you could really hope for is like a 10% reduction in leaf fall.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Keyser_Soze posted:

That is every 3 days......look closer and note that the entire property is constantly blanketed with that poo poo, every nook, every cranny, every part of the roof, every rock, every bush, every plant....

You also cannot park a car in the 3rd spot at all or it gets absolutely demolished

The property is outside. This is how outside works. As someone who highly values symmetry and order, I recommend that you consider relaxing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

Here it is from April.

I love that new giant shade tree.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm gonna be honest and admit that I can't even tell what I'm supposed to be upset about in that April photo. I'm not trying to dogpile, I legit can't tell what the problem is. All I see is some neato landscaping changes that I'm all :thumbsup: for.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Keyser_Soze posted:

I seriously feel like I'm missing something in the photo. It's mostly devoid of anything? Maybe I'm just used to everything being blanketed with moss and algae and stuff here in the PNW so nothing in that photo registers as a nuisance (although I kinda love the moss and algae, makes everything so lush and green here! Just sucks on the roof.).

Also, you'd have a total conniption at my backyard, but it's worth it to have these cool views to take in when I'm out there (bonus dog basking...hopefully he'll distract folks from noticing how desperately I need to weed, we just had record rainfall 3 months in a row followed by crazy sunshine, I'll get at it this weekend, promise!).

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
^^that's your yard and is large and it's not dumping all the crap on the downwind property. That tree also probably drops in a normal time frame not all year.

If your "new tree" planted 5 feet from the fence did this to the neighbors long existing cypress trees would you trim your tree? Do you think that looks good?

You also can trim the hell out of trees and they almost always recover.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 23, 2022

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Okay, I definitely feel like we're talking past each other a little - so is the bigger issue the fact that the tree is engulfing things, or that it's dumping stuff in your yard? For the former, I can at least totally get that from the pictures.

For the latter...your driveway looks practically like it was just powerwashed in both the April photo and the close-up. I'm just not seeing debris to such an extent that it would "destroy" a car sitting in that third spot next to the fence. In the close-up, everything looks dry and tiny like it'll just blow off to the edges, break down quickly, and not affect anything. But maybe those photos just aren't doing it justice?

Anyway, regardless of my lack of understanding of why this is such a big issue for you, I'm not sure I can offer any solution, so I'll just shut up now.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I drove by my old house and a maple I planted that I brought home hanging from the back of my Saturn and was like 1" diameter trunk is now about 6" and quite big. I'm proud of it! I think they could probably water it more in the winter as it's a bit thin.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
Our door to enter the garage from inside our house is for some reason not auto-closing when it’s opened now. The door that is a normal inside door but has some kind of spring in one of the brackets to make it close. I don’t know why and I don’t know what search term to help me diagnose why because things like “door to garage not closing” gets me tons of things about the garage door for a car etc not closing.

Any tips?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How about self closing door hinge

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008
I'm realizing that as a kid I just assumed adults all knew everything about buying and maintaining a home. I guess I assumed they took some kind of class like driver's ed?

It occurs to me now that nobody knows what they're doing and people are walking around proudly showing off "sweat equity" to their friends that down the road a future owner will be cursing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

gp2k posted:

I'm realizing that as a kid I just assumed adults all knew everything about buying and maintaining a home. I guess I assumed they took some kind of class like driver's ed?

It occurs to me now that nobody knows what they're doing and people are walking around proudly showing off "sweat equity" to their friends that down the road a future owner will be cursing.

If this isn't the most honest revelation that I can relate to. The older I get, the more people I meet that have zero mechanical instinct. I'll do something very small and they'll say "OMG that's crazy how did you know how to do that?" It literally couldn't be easier now a day. We have YouTube, Internet forums, and a multitude of hardware stores at our disposal. The biggest hurdle is gaining the confidence to tear something apart. But then there's the follow through. YouTube can give people the confidence to get into a project but lots of people will lack the competence to follow through and do a good job.

There's also general interest. Some people like myself are interesting in knowing how things work. I was always tearing things apart as a kid. I took shop classes in highschool because they were fun. I get an emotional reward when I complete a project or fix something to proper working order again. I know a lot of people who couldn't give a poo poo as long as something is fixed.

My family was the DIY type. Growing up, all my uncles would come over and help with underground sprinkler systems and water wells, building decks, interior renovations, pouring concrete patios etc. I'm not sure if it's a nurture vs nature thing or that I have a hard time paying someone to do something I can do, and often enjoy.

But yeah, having friends in our mid 30s owning their first homes, it's clear a lot of people have no idea what they're doing and just rely on contractors or parents to do everything. I also believe learning happens through experience. Unless you're helping your dad fix the house growing up, we never get practice repairing drywall, fixing soffits, staining floors until we own our first homes that people start doing this stuff themselves.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Yeah, almost nobody in my family is capable of using more than a screwdriver and hammer. Even though I took a couple shop classes and got a dang degree in engineering, I have very low confidence when it comes to modifying my house - half my issue is getting over the anxiety of maybe loving something up worse. I waste more time worrying about it than planning and doing the drat job

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm still an idiot but I'm a grizzled old man compared to the version of me that bought my house 11 years ago. Some of it is definitely the drive to start and finish projects, think outside the box, solution, etc. All of which relies on google/youtube education.

I guess my mower is not as popular in the youtube world so there was a spring and tension pulley I couldn't find documented clearly anywhere and the dread of not knowing was paralyzing when guessing on where it goes.

(I got it in the right spot and it didn't matter because I immediately hit a very tiny root that knocked my blades out of timing again and I'm back at square 1 without an impact driver strong enough for the amount of torque the last idiot put on the nuts attaching the blades to the deck. Don't buy a mower with timed blades).

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

StormDrain posted:

I drove by my old house and a maple I planted that I brought home hanging from the back of my Saturn and was like 1" diameter trunk is now about 6" and quite big. I'm proud of it! I think they could probably water it more in the winter as it's a bit thin.

There's a big oak tree at my parents house that I planted from an acorn I took from our neighbors yard when I was like 5. I wish it was possible to move it to my house.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

There's a big oak tree at my parents house that I planted from an acorn I took from our neighbors yard when I was like 5. I wish it was possible to move it to my house.

Plant an acorn from the old oak at your new house

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Yeah, almost nobody in my family is capable of using more than a screwdriver and hammer. Even though I took a couple shop classes and got a dang degree in engineering, I have very low confidence when it comes to modifying my house - half my issue is getting over the anxiety of maybe loving something up worse. I waste more time worrying about it than planning and doing the drat job

Strongly resonate with this post. Everything seems more complicated than it was 20 years ago.

For example, I just got a new natural gas water heater. The PO had installed it themselves with a unit from Home Depot. I have a general rule never to mess with natural gas, so hired a licensed plumber. Turns out they had elevated it which isn't required, causing the water in/out pipes to be higher than they should have been so they're not in the stainless steel housing (mostly a cosmetic thing to be fair), and in California you have to install an expansion tank which they hadn't installed and the hot water cut-off was installed backwards, and the natural gas cutoff valve was not to code either based on its placement. None of that is a big deal really, but man, there is just so much to know about everything (and to be fair, California has regulations on every single little thing, and they change all the time).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Verman posted:

If this isn't the most honest revelation that I can relate to. The older I get, the more people I meet that have zero mechanical instinct. I'll do something very small and they'll say "OMG that's crazy how did you know how to do that?" It literally couldn't be easier now a day. We have YouTube, Internet forums, and a multitude of hardware stores at our disposal. ...

There's also general interest. Some people like myself are interesting in knowing how things work. I was always tearing things apart as a kid. I took shop classes in highschool because they were fun. I get an emotional reward when I complete a project or fix something to proper working order again.
Unless you're helping your dad fix the house growing up, we never get practice repairing drywall, fixing soffits, staining floors until we own our first homes that people start doing this stuff themselves.

I'm sure I've written this before, but this describes me to a T.

We spent just about every dime we had and over-extended our credit to buy this house in 1992. Problems immediately cropped up, as they would in a house not lived in for three years and sold 'as-is.' Hiring a contractor, plumber or electrician simply was not an option - that took care of any reservations I may have had, and commitment was not optional if we wanted to bathe in hot & cold running water that didn't drain into the basement.

Thirty years later, probably one of the only things that has kept me sane through this country's mental & moral decline into banana-republic status is the therapeutic effects of repairing and restoring all manner of things - vehicles, appliances, buildings; to make sound and beautiful the neglected and broken.

(building the garage, 2004)

I had no way of knowing whether or not my son would be inclined to do any of this. You just can't know, but early signs with Duplo & LEGO were encouraging. I turned him loose on my workbench and tools, with only minimal guidance and maximum encouragement, the ghost of my overbearing perfectionist father guiding me in what not to do. Soon, he was making potato cannons and home-made compressed-air guns, and at 13 was trying to melt and cut bottle glass (after I required sufficient protection and supervision). His first car was a '68 VW that we completely rebuilt from a '70, and he picked up the mechanical stuff right away. Two years ago we swapped out the blown engine on his beloved '01 Accord

The glass thing stuck with him. After figuring out college was not for him, he - completely on his own, and unknown to his parents - researched getting certified as a scientific glassblower/lamp-worker, including funding it through his job (that offered very generous tuition reimbursement) He's now five years into making custom scientific apparatus - including pieces for a NASA ISS experiment - and loving it.

He is currently turning a shed at his house into his home lamp-working studio.

The kids are alright, if shown a direction & given support and room.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Lawnie posted:

Plant an acorn from the old oak at your new house

I attempted this last year but it loving died. :negative:

I think my mistake was only planting one. I need to hedge my bets by planting like a dozen all over the yard. Surely one will take then.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think I got pretty lucky growing up, homeownership skill wise. My dad has the mechanical aptitude for house stuff, with him finishing our basement when we moved into a new house when I was 6-7. Then we bought some land and built a vacation home. A contractor did the framing and roofing and some other stuff, but plumbing, electrical, siding, interior finishing, all done by us, with the help of his brother/my uncle who taught construction at a high school, and their friend who was a union carpenter trainer. Then we built a massive 3 car 1.5 story shed from scratch, including pouring the slab building slab and concrete pad outside. So I basically grew up around construction. I was able to help him finish our basement in the next house we moved to, and then I helped him out a lot when we did some of the work on my mom's basement.

Last summer after we bought our house, my father-in-law (who was a marine electrician in a past life) visited us for a week to do some work on the house for us. Everybody in his family was completely incapable of doing any house work, basically all they could do was hold a beer for you. So he knew we had a wishlist of projects he would work on before he came, but he just assumed that I'd be working that week and he'd be doing it all on his own. So he was quite surprised to learn that I'd taken the week off to help him, and then was quite shocked at what I was able to do, and how quickly I picked up learning new things.

And it's a good thing I'm not scared of anything, because buying a 113 year old house means there's always something that needs to be done. I don't think I'd be able to live here if I had to hire every little thing out.

E: Also, growing up I ended up watching a fair amount of "New Yankee Workshop" and always had some little dream in the back of my head of having a nice big workshop. When I moved to the big city for college, and stayed in the heart of the city afterwards, I figured I'd just never be able to realize that dream. Then we rented this house that had two 2-car garages, but the owners used the one half so we just had a "normal" 2 car garage. Then we bought it last year and it was all mine, and now I've got my workshop! Dreams do come true!

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 23, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

I attempted this last year but it loving died. :negative:

I think my mistake was only planting one. I need to hedge my bets by planting like a dozen all over the yard. Surely one will take then.

Works for squirrels

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Epitope posted:

How about self closing door hinge

This gives results that make sense thanks

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

This is a bong.

He’s either lying to you or making space weed with NASA.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
That's the toke.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Lol. I originally thought the same thing when I saw the glass. That's a super cool story though. It's nice to see that creative/mechanical curiosity passed on. My biggest fear is having a kid with no hobbies or interests. I was very hobby driven and my sister not so much. I don't know what brings people happiness when they don't have any personal hobbies. I would also venture to guess we were all Lego kids and enjoyed tinkering.

My parents were pretty inclusive with projects when we were young. A lot of people would tell their kids to stay away and let the adults do it but mine would try to explain things and make me feel like I could help which was probably the biggest inspiration. My mom has a photo of my dad and I standing on the roof of our first house with took belts on because it needed new shingles. I was 5. It's a great depiction of how casual 80s parenting was. My dad wasn't Bob Vila but he was a hard worker and always included me in projects. My mom was super creative. She was always doing crafts in her spare time and helping others with wedding stuff. I think my artistic side comes from her. When they got divorced and eventually married new people, my step dad was into the outdoors which I now thoroughly enjoy, and my step mom owned a painting company which taught me quality craftsmanship. I've picked up a lot from all 4 of my parents and I'm super grateful for it.

Now back to installing new crawlspace vents and vent wells...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

The kids are alright, if shown a direction & given support and room.

This is wholesome as gently caress. Your son seems like a cool kid. Thank you for sharing that, seriously!

I grew up in two families (joint custody), in one nobody really did anything handy themselves and in the other my mom grew up poor and my stepdad was a pipefitter and motorcycle enthusiast. So I kinda saw both ways of living and I went hard for the handy side. I was taking apart stuff as an adolescent, radios and whatnot, had my lego and my erector sets, asked for things for christmas like soldering irons and chemistry sets. I did not wind up doing that sort of thing as a career, but I used our own AI forum here to learn how to work on my truck, and when we bought this house in 2009 as a foreclosed fixer-upper with a lot of accumulated neglect there was no question in our minds but that we'd be DIYing almost everything. No, we had no idea how to refinish floors or sweat copper pipe, but all that was really necessary was having confidence that we could learn, that even if we made mistakes (and we did) they'd still be a lot less expensive than hiring pros (they were) and that there would be people willing to answer questions or give us direction if we asked (there always were).

Goons have been the best resource ever. Better even than the plethora of youtube videos out there nowadays. There's always a goon with expertise willing to share it for free.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Tremors posted:

Engineer is coming Wednesday, dumpster is being delivered Thursday, and crane is coming Friday. :toot:

Engineer arrived as scheduled yesterday. Luckily from the checks he did he doesn't think there's much of a chance that anything changed with the main house structure.

Contractors were out today to begin the demo work.

Apparently the roof of our garage was a material lasagna:

They also found some old termite damage in a piece of the framing, so now we can add a house inspection to the list of things to do:

But I currently have a garage with a view of the sky, what more could I want?! ...other than a functioning garage hopefully by fall at this rate.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

This is a bong.

He’s either lying to you or making space weed with NASA.

Checks out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Welp, today was the day we gave up all hope of a Bosch. The salesman at the appliance store where we'd ordered a Bosch from in August called and said Bosch had pushed the delivery date back to January 2023 at the earliest, and he wasn't confident it would ship then. We have to have an ADA-compliant dishwasher because they're the only ones that will fit under our heavy cast countertops. He offered a Haier/GE that got Godawful reviews, including being unable to fit 10" dinnerplates without chipping them. We were grimly weighing a bad dishwasher vs. no dishwasher, so I called back and asked him to see if there were any other brands they carried that would arrive sooner than January. He came back with a Whirlpool that got a decent review in Consumer Reports and will be available July 19th, God willing, and we said, yes, let's do that.

All hope relinquished, we have settled on the beach of good-enough.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Welp, today was the day we gave up all hope of a Bosch.

Desperately attempts to mash probate button.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

H110Hawk posted:

Desperately attempts to mash probate button.

Very deserving IMHO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Woddido?