Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

His Divine Shadow posted:

Bet that's the only thing bolt upright about this guy.

LOL

his COCK :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol good compilation https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1539586852797169664

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61866971

quote:

Paul Brown, from Newcastle, says he is worried he will miss his stag do this weekend due to the strikes.

It comes after the 31-year-old already suffered setbacks to his wedding having to cancel his big day three times due to the pandemic.

by denying this man his right of passage he is being denied his rite of passage to be tied to a lamp post wearing only a big pair of crude, plastic boobs and a marker pen LIL SLUT tramp stramp and then doused in flour, you selfish, greedy monsters :mad:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
while everyone else goes WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY, like that

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
You know what we're really missing from this being a real rerun of the 70's? - miners strikes.

We have no miners? Boris is on it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61904622

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Because you need to be pretty smart, have a solid grasp of the relevant facts, and also be able to put it across cleanly without getting flustered by dickheads. It looks simple, but it's a real skill.

You also need to not have brainworms, which is even harder.

To be honest, I think what he does best - shrugging his way past the trap questions without leaving a pause or hesitating in a way that would show weakness - is *insanely* hard and takes a huge amount of quick-wittedness as well as cool-headedness.

In that first TV interview, when the Tory shot off a random "Will you apologise to the veterans of countless wars who can't get into town today?" the instinctive thing to do is to try and mirror the question in order to rebut it, because that's just how we're used to responding when someone throws a ludicrous accusation at us.

Which ends up being "No, I don't think I do need to apologise, because-", or at best a rehearsed-sounding "I think what veterans are really upset about is-"

And that then shifts the power across to your opponent to keep pursuing their 'gotcha' - which the Tory was clearly expecting to happen, as he continued to whine about "No apology for veterans then!" even as the debate moved on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Grey Hunter posted:

You know what we're really missing from this being a real rerun of the 70's? - miners strikes.

We have no miners? Boris is on it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61904622
If it's good quality coal it'd make sense to use it in place of importing Russian coal or burning biomass from ancient protected American woodlands with 'renewable' stamped on it, you could even use it for hydrogen generation to replace natural gas. The nice thing about that is that all the carbon dioxide generation happens in the same place, and there's some interesting things that can go in baghouses soon.

It's more likely to translate into a bunch of

articles in the Express though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/JonnyMao/status/1539708385175764993?s=20&t=vCwjiK0xY9eIvyQlTbSuew

Mick is doing it right (I'm pretty sure this is parody but it's still funny)

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
the media just want punch and judy moments they can clip up and push to go viral; they thought becasue lynch was a thick necked working bloke they could easily derail him with nonsense and oh poo poo turns out he's the boss of one of the most powerful unions in the uk with decades of experience in navigating difficult conversations; they still get their punch and judy moment to clip up and go viral just not in the way they wanted

you can see they've already shifted tone to 'mick lynch: behind the legend' (who's your political hero? have you considered going into politics? what do you think about you newfound fame?). he's already slipped up by being drawn into these kind of questions imo, he should refocusing immediately onto I'm here to represent the RMT and my members , the only thing that matters about me is that I'm elected to do this job etc.

the next step will be to flip it to 'mick lynch: too big for his boots?' union baron more interested in media career than representing his members etc - the media will destroy you if they want to, sometimes they just take a few goes to find the right angle.

really nothing expresses class politics in this country better than the leader of one of the most important working organisations in the uk coming on major news channels and being met with "are you a overpaid workshy troublemaker? you overpaid workshy trouble maker" right out the gate. can you image if when a bank CEO or CBI president or something went on tv they opened with "aren't you just a fat cat who'd sell your own granny for pennies"; no that's always please sir thank you sir fawning

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

That last clip in there (the Sophy Ridge one) is really, really, really good.

I mean, it's all amazing, but dang.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rustybear posted:

the media just want punch and judy moments they can clip up and push to go viral; they thought becasue lynch was a thick necked working bloke they could easily derail him with nonsense and oh poo poo turns out he's the boss of one of the most powerful unions in the uk with decades of experience in navigating difficult conversations; they still get their punch and judy moment to clip up and go viral just not in the way they wanted

you can see they've already shifted tone to 'mick lynch: behind the legend' (who's your political hero? have you considered going into politics? what do you think about you newfound fame?). he's already slipped up by being drawn into these kind of questions imo, he should refocusing immediately onto I'm here to represent the RMT and my members , the only thing that matters about me is that I'm elected to do this job etc.

the next step will be to flip it to 'mick lynch: too big for his boots?' union baron more interested in media career than representing his members etc - the media will destroy you if they want to, sometimes they just take a few goes to find the right angle.

really nothing expresses class politics in this country better than the leader of one of the most important working organisations in the uk coming on major news channels and being met with "are you a overpaid workshy troublemaker? you overpaid workshy trouble maker" right out the gate. can you image if when a bank CEO or CBI president or something went on tv they opened with "aren't you just a fat cat who'd sell your own granny for pennies"; no that's always please sir thank you sir fawning

I mean they'll just turn him into the new Bob Crow, making GBS threads on him for taking VACATIONS???? and then lionising him if he dies of a heart attack.

If Lynch dies of a heart attack then it's definitely an MI5 op and Corbyn should be counting his blessings.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Push comes to shove they can always just get Andrew Neil to ask him "do you still beat your wife" over and over until the credits roll, and then claim victory.

Or, just not interview him and allow discourse to happen about him, without him.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
far be it for me to criticise bob crow but that's exactly where you don't want to be sitting on HIGNFY having your speech intercut with ian hislop pulling a horse face

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

winegums posted:

Push comes to shove they can always just get Andrew Neil to ask him "do you still beat your wife" over and over until the credits roll, and then claim victory.

Or, just not interview him and allow discourse to happen about him, without him.

I've always wondered about this, isn't the question "have you stopped beating your wife" or variations thereof inherently libellous if they haven't actually been convicted of it? Because you aren't just asking if they beat their wife, you are outright stating that they have done so in the past, which seems pretty foolish without the receipts to back it up.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
How long until the first article telling us how much his house is worth

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also hearing rumours he owns a fridge

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why won't Boris meet with him then?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've always wondered about this, isn't the question "have you stopped beating your wife" or variations thereof inherently libellous if they haven't actually been convicted of it? Because you aren't just asking if they beat their wife, you are outright stating that they have done so in the past, which seems pretty foolish without the receipts to back it up.

I think that anything in the form of a question cannot be libellous and that's why Betteridge's Law exists.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1539925050781990914

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Relevant to recent discussion:

https://twitter.com/RMTunion/status/1539916524248612865

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How do we have a Tory government and a brexit when the UK public... Doesn't seem so bad? Have they got better?

The olds always turn out and vote, and they vote 80% for the Bad Things these days. Younger people with actual jobs and all that, less so.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Yes, but that's what a union is.
If all the train drivers are in jail, that's just the government doing the strike for you!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well drivers are ASLEF not RMT so that's a sticking point.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think the increasing conglomeration of unions may actually help in the immediate term. The IWW may have been right about the idea of "one big union".

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Seems impossible on a practical level given the overwhelming majority of train tickets are sold on machines and tickets are checked at automated barrier gates.

I guess they could open the gates but that seems like going beyond striking into sabotage.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Set the machines to dispense free tickets and enjoy watching people take free holidays all over the country.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

Set the machines to dispense free tickets and enjoy watching people take free holidays all over the country.

The trains will immediately fill up with rational economic actors travelling up and down the line forever to take advantage of a free good.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

feedmegin posted:

The olds always turn out and vote, and they vote 80% for the Bad Things these days. Younger people with actual jobs and all that, less so.

Yeah, i think maybe the British public isn't so bad. Whereas the British VOTER is a suspicious pie-faced gammon, twitching his net curtains, phoning the police about kids sat on the bench outside, and reading about enemies of the people in the daily mail.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

peanut- posted:

Seems impossible on a practical level given the overwhelming majority of train tickets are sold on machines and tickets are checked at automated barrier gates.

I guess they could open the gates but that seems like going beyond striking into sabotage.

They can just..leave the ticket gates open. Like they already do whenever there is no one to man the gates.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

grobbo posted:

To be honest, I think what he does best - shrugging his way past the trap questions without leaving a pause or hesitating in a way that would show weakness - is *insanely* hard and takes a huge amount of quick-wittedness as well as cool-headedness.
That's probably the most impressive thing about it, watching him deftly sidestep traps I would have blundered into headfirst and been left sputtering and looking like an idiot.

It's why the gammon gotcha of 'well if you care so much about politics why don't you run as an mp' is such bullshit, because it's not about ideas any more, it's about surviving the media relentlessly grinding you down every day, and I don't think any normal person is really going to be able to withstand that.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

Yeah, i think maybe the British public isn't so bad. Whereas the British VOTER is a suspicious pie-faced gammon, twitching his net curtains, phoning the police about kids sat on the bench outside, and reading about enemies of the people in the daily mail.

I think this is broadly right, and a good thing to keep in mind. The general public has - consistently - been found to favour more progressive (socially and economically) policies than we get - like that One Show segment when Gyles Brandreth went around Guildford finding people who supported virtually all of Corbyn's policies but hated him and the Labour Party.

But it gets messy when it comes to votes because the demographics that vote the most are the most reactionary and conservative, and a lot of the rest who will - in isolation - support progressive politics will vote Tory out of short-term self interest or cultural/national appeals. And yes, you get the scary "Full social democracy please...but only for the right sort of people" types as well.

In Mick Lynch news:

https://twitter.com/mrdanwalker/status/1539707071997923331?t=1_bMm0aQVBwT3WNHzXsNkA&s=19

Amazing what can happen when the interviewer is sane!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1539940660547125248

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/zinovievletter/status/1539896477438320641?t=tWpUJL_HX625nKTPNrDg7A&s=19

Some old favourites in this thread.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Here's a loving wild headline

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1539919313100062723?t=aEn0k9z5vOKDVyUAPSH5bg&s=19

Apparently he's some prominent Nigerian politician so I'm expecting a new racist moral panic in the best future.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why the UK?

South Africa would be easier to travel to, has a long history of pioneering organ transplants, overland smuggling routes from the north, and still lets the apartheid chemical weapons meth cook doctor work in a day clinic for some reason, so it seems like there'd be someone you could find with less hassle.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

BalloonFish posted:

I think this is broadly right, and a good thing to keep in mind. The general public has - consistently - been found to favour more progressive (socially and economically) policies than we get - like that One Show segment when Gyles Brandreth went around Guildford finding people who supported virtually all of Corbyn's policies but hated him and the Labour Party.

But it gets messy when it comes to votes because the demographics that vote the most are the most reactionary and conservative, and a lot of the rest who will - in isolation - support progressive politics will vote Tory out of short-term self interest or cultural/national appeals. And yes, you get the scary "Full social democracy please...but only for the right sort of people" types as well.

In Mick Lynch news:

https://twitter.com/mrdanwalker/status/1539707071997923331?t=1_bMm0aQVBwT3WNHzXsNkA&s=19

Amazing what can happen when the interviewer is sane!

I wouldn’t describe a bloke who claims to be a fundamentalist Christian and thinks god invented dinosaurs 6000 years ago, but was busy banging away at his dancer behind his wife’s back on Strictly, as sane.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I enjoy that he disclaims being a marxist and then immediately follows it by explaining marxist theory of worker/employer relations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The immortal science of Marxism-Lynchism

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

Why the UK?

South Africa would be easier to travel to, has a long history of pioneering organ transplants, overland smuggling routes from the north, and still lets the apartheid chemical weapons meth cook doctor work in a day clinic for some reason, so it seems like there'd be someone you could find with less hassle.

It is weird. I'm assuming old politician is trying to buy himself a new liver or something, but you would think it would be easier for him to ship a doctor to Nigeria a than ship a kid to the UK.

Maybe we'll find out, maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

I wouldn’t describe a bloke who claims to be a fundamentalist Christian and thinks god invented dinosaurs 6000 years ago, but was busy banging away at his dancer behind his wife’s back on Strictly, as sane.

Oops - I obviously haven't been keeping my newsreaders (strictly).xlsx up to date...

Still says something that the Christian fundamentalist is so far the one to actually do a proper interview rather than flaring their nostrils and rolling their eyes while shouting "Why are you so flustered, Mr Lynch???"