Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Does that also apply to the CX3 or CX30? Right on the edge of my budget is a new CX30 with all the fixins, but I'm skeptical of them for reasons I have trouble articulating

I think they're generally well liked too. The CX-3 has the 2.0L engine and is shrunken a bit, and the CX-30 has the 2.5L and is a bit more spacious. Of the two, I'd go CX-30. Unless you're set on an crossover though, the Mazda3 hatchback may be worth consideration too. The biggest dimensional difference is the ground clearance, which goes from 5.5" to 8" with the CX-30.

So I can't imagine they're going to be drastically different from an ownership experience. It's essentially the same car with a lift kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OP specifically told us they want to drive a Subie and then came up with all of their other requirements to justify that decision post-hoc. There's no other reason to stipulate "must be Japanese but not the two most popular Japanese brands."

If you're the kind of person to think Subies are cool because you secretly dream of being the kind of person who drives around with mountain bikes on their tailgate that have never been used, that's a specific taste. Maybe give us some other examples of cars you think are cool? Because I think of those as mom cars and I honestly cannot get a good sense of your tastes from your post.

Now if I wanted to be baller on a budget without any wrenching skills and I didn't want to go Lexus for whatever reason, I'd take a serious look at the Koreans. A Stinger or G70 comes with a 100k mile warranty, and pre-covid, dealers were practically giving them away. You might be able to find an okay deal on an off lease one. But that's a much different idea of "cool" than an Impreza. If that's too luxe for you, there's also the Veloster, which is... quirky? IDK, people think they're cool. Then there's like a Civic Si. Any of those look cool to you? And as people said, the Mazda 3 is a decent choice too. This is out there but what about a Miata?

Edit: and non-WRX Imprezas are not the least bit luxury or fast or anything. They're inexpensive economy cars.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 22, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Door Frame posted:

Does that also apply to the CX3 or CX30? Right on the edge of my budget is a new CX30 with all the fixins, but I'm skeptical of them for reasons I have trouble articulating
The CX3 is kind of deprecated for American tastes. It's on the subcompact Mazda 2 platform and brings the worst of all subcompact and crossovers.

The CX30 is pretty good and very popular accordingly. I'd probably get a 3 hatch if I was in the segment but if you like high riding crossovers for visibility or ease of loading it's just as good as the 3 minus the handling you lose for jacking it up and some of the cargo quibbles I have with smaller crossovers vs hatches.

Loaded Mazda interiors are awesome right now and even not loaded are pretty great. I have a CX 5 and I'm in a CX30 rental right now because I haven't found infotainment I like quite as much as Mazdas. Knob based, quick to boot into Android auto, and just very pain free compared to some of the pains I have syncing phones or getting Android auto to work in rentals.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Nitrox posted:

In 100 words or less, tell us why Prius is not the car for you.

They look bad?

Math You posted:

There was recently like a whole page in either this thread or new car thread about people's Subarus failing spectacularly at under 100k miles.

Get a Mazda 3. "I want a reliable Japanese car but cool", doesn't leave too many other options imo

I want a reliable japanese car but cool is exactly it.

gonna read up on mazdas extensively now. it was in my purview but didnt know how they stacked up. thanks!!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lmbo calrissian posted:

I want a reliable japanese car but cool is exactly it.

Subarus haven't been cool since the early 2000s.

Why are you limiting this to Japanese cars?

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

KillHour posted:

OP specifically told us they want to drive a Subie and then came up with all of their other requirements to justify that decision post-hoc. There's no other reason to stipulate "must be Japanese but not the two most popular Japanese brands."

If you're the kind of person to think Subies are cool because you secretly dream of being the kind of person who drives around with mountain bikes on their tailgate that have never been used, that's a specific taste. Maybe give us some other examples of cars you think are cool? Because I think of those as mom cars and I honestly cannot get a good sense of your tastes from your post.

Now if I wanted to be baller on a budget without any wrenching skills and I didn't want to go Lexus for whatever reason, I'd take a serious look at the Koreans. A Stinger or G70 comes with a 100k mile warranty, and pre-covid, dealers were practically giving them away. You might be able to find an okay deal on an off lease one. But that's a much different idea of "cool" than an Impreza. If that's too luxe for you, there's also the Veloster, which is... quirky? IDK, people think they're cool. Then there's like a Civic Si. Any of those look cool to you? And as people said, the Mazda 3 is a decent choice too. This is out there but what about a Miata?

Edit: and non-WRX Imprezas are not the least bit luxury or fast or anything. They're inexpensive economy cars.

Well I specifically don't want an suv or crossover, but I really was just using Subaru as an in depth reference point. I guess my intention was really just to ask if the economy models of these brands were anything special. So thank u for clearing that up

My only tastes are vintage race/luxury cars, and I don't know what goes on under a hood, so they are nothing to go off. That said, what Lexus did you think is possible for baller on a budget?

I am going to look at these koreans but no opinion yet.

bird with big dick posted:

If you can afford a $30,000 car and $7 gas you can afford a $50,000 car and $0.10 electricity, get an EV.

i mean, i'll start looking on blue book. is there another resource for what's actually good on the market rn? that dont look like they were designed with a literal child's idea of what a car from the future looks like?

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 22, 2022

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Motronic posted:

Subarus haven't been cool since the early 2000s.

Why are you limiting this to Japanese cars?

Just bc I know nothing about american other than the old stereotype of them being behind/not lasting over 100 miles. And the service costs of euro cars?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lmbo calrissian posted:

Just bc I know nothing about american other than the old stereotype of them being behind/not lasting over 100 miles. And the service costs of euro cars?

Um. Japan and "America" are not the only places that make cars.

Your actual preferences are pretty difficult to divine from your posting. You seem to want something specific but aren't willing to say what that thing is. I don't think that's a particular car, but you want a particular thing/feature and it's not entirely clear what that is but becoming increasingly clear it's probably something you're embarrassed to say is a preference. I'm guessing it's "looks out of my price range" is it.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Math You posted:

Get a Mazda 3. "I want a reliable Japanese car but cool", doesn't leave too many other options imo

This is the perfect choice for someone who wants a Japanese compact but not a Honda or Toyota.

I managed to snag a turbo awd for ~28-29k before the market got weird, but you can get the non turbo versions with the same fake leather and the nice stereo for less. Great car for the money.

A cx30 is the same thing but a bit taller for a little more cash.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

lmbo calrissian posted:

My only tastes are vintage race or luxury cars, and I don't know what goes on under a hood, so they are nothing to go off. That said, what Lexus did you think is possible for baller on a budget?

I'm not a Lexus guy but something like an LS460 is probably the final word in understated, cheap Japanese luxury. I'm sure the JDM goons will rattle off exactly what you should look for.

Maybe look at the VW Golf if you're open to Ze Germans.

Honestly Motronic is right. Maybe just Google search cars and post a few you like the look of (regardless of make or price or anything) so we can get an idea of what exactly you're looking for.

If you want "looks way more expensive than it actually was," you should really look at the Koreans.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 22, 2022

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Motronic posted:

Um. Japan and "America" are not the only places that make cars.

Your actual preferences are pretty difficult to divine from your posting. You seem to want something specific but aren't willing to say what that thing is. I don't think that's a particular car, but you want a particular thing/feature and it's not entirely clear what that is but becoming increasingly clear it's probably something you're embarrassed to say is a preference. I'm guessing it's "looks out of my price range" is it.

Not really. I said that I'm fully open to suggestions and my only point was something that is a little sexy while being worth it for me who doesn't know his way around. Of course I like cars that look expensive, I know I can't afford it and so I'm asking for suggestions on a few steps down. My idea of what's cool is something I'd like people in the thread to inform me about. Which is why I'm loving the mazda suggestions. Not embarrassed either. Are you projecting?

I mentioned in above posts about the service costs of european cars (unless people give me greater insight to this), and that I don't know yet know about korean cars, I know not only Japan/US make cars man

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

lmbo calrissian posted:

Not really. I said that I'm fully open to suggestions and my only point was something that is a little sexy while being worth it for me who doesn't know his way around. Of course I like cars that look expensive, I know I can't afford it and so I'm asking for suggestions on a few steps down. My idea of what's cool is something I'd like people in the thread to inform me about. Which is why I'm loving the mazda suggestions. Not embarrassed either. Are you projecting?

I mentioned in above posts about the service costs of european cars (unless people give me greater insight to this), and that I don't know yet know about korean cars, I know not only Japan/US make cars man

The problem is "looks cool" is subjective. I think this looks cool. Do you?

What about this?

Or this

Maybe you think some or all of those are cool. Or maybe they're too "boy racer." In that case, how about this:

Or this

Or maybe

Maybe those are too pretentious. So how about this.

Or

Maybe you're more of a retro Americana person?

Or maybe, just maybe....

No?
How about sporty and Japanese?

No wait, sporty and Japanese with Italian styling!

Every one of those cars are "cool" cars, in that there are tons of people who think they are cool. What do you think is cool? Start by telling us which of those cars are "cool" to you and why.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 22, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, you need to do your homework. Learn the market, drive a few, get a feel for what you like. Then maybe ask for opinions about specific cars.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Reliable Japanese vehicle that looks cool as heck? Clearly a 25 year old imported kei truck is the answer. Maybe a little light on the "sporty" requirement...

(Don't actually get a kei truck, please. Unless you're buying it for me)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KillHour posted:

What about this?

Or this

Maybe you think some or all of those are cool. Or maybe they're too "boy racer." In that case, how about this:

Every one of those cars are "cool" cars, in that there are tons of people who think they are cool. What do you think is cool? Start by telling us which of those cars are "cool" to you and why.

Every single one of these cars looks cool, except the Challenger and especially the Lexus.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

nitsuga posted:

I think they're generally well liked too. The CX-3 has the 2.0L engine and is shrunken a bit, and the CX-30 has the 2.5L and is a bit more spacious. Of the two, I'd go CX-30. Unless you're set on an crossover though, the Mazda3 hatchback may be worth consideration too. The biggest dimensional difference is the ground clearance, which goes from 5.5" to 8" with the CX-30.

So I can't imagine they're going to be drastically different from an ownership experience. It's essentially the same car with a lift kit.

zedprime posted:

The CX3 is kind of deprecated for American tastes. It's on the subcompact Mazda 2 platform and brings the worst of all subcompact and crossovers.

The CX30 is pretty good and very popular accordingly. I'd probably get a 3 hatch if I was in the segment but if you like high riding crossovers for visibility or ease of loading it's just as good as the 3 minus the handling you lose for jacking it up and some of the cargo quibbles I have with smaller crossovers vs hatches.

Loaded Mazda interiors are awesome right now and even not loaded are pretty great. I have a CX 5 and I'm in a CX30 rental right now because I haven't found infotainment I like quite as much as Mazdas. Knob based, quick to boot into Android auto, and just very pain free compared to some of the pains I have syncing phones or getting Android auto to work in rentals.

If it were up to me, we'd be getting a 3 or a maybe just a used hybrid if I were being cheap and practical. However, when I brought up the 3, the missus specifically said that we weren't getting another hatchback, that we needed something bigger with more room, like a CX3 or CX30. This is not a hill I'd particularly care to die on, so CX30 it is. I am impressed by the Mazda interiors, they seem fun to drive, the HP/MPG ratio is good enough, I trust Mazda to not deliver a lemon, and they pretty commonly have our two must have features; adaptive cruise control and Car Play. Lucky lucky

But there is another car she seems to really dig, the Nissan Kicks. I'm not a fan of because it seems like it'd be completely gutless, but besides being slow and probably not that fun to drive, is there anything actually bad about them? She's mostly buying for herself, so my worries about performance don't carry much weight

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The CX3 has less room. Haven't been in a CX30

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The CX-30 and the Mazda3 hatchback have almost identical amounts of room. I would do some more research before making a decision. Probably worth going to the CX-5/CX-50.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lmbo calrissian posted:

i mean, i'll start looking on blue book. is there another resource for what's actually good on the market rn? that dont look like they were designed with a literal child's idea of what a car from the future looks like?

You should not take that post you quoted claiming that you'll save 20k on gas in a reasonable time frame by spending 50k on an electric car as entirely serious, at least in the specific numbers quoted. You said you don't currently have a commute at all, and you might eventually have a 30 mile commute. 30 miles each way daily 50 weeks of the year is 15,000 miles/year, and even at the $7/gal price Bird mentioned (which we shouldn't assume will be sustained) a normal sedan getting 30mpg is using 500 gal of gas a year x $7 is $3500/year. So in that very worst-case scenario of sustaining a 30 mile each way commute for many years and gas sticking at an average of $7/gal, you'll take almost six years just to break even on +$20k, not accounting for any other cost of ownership factors and also pretending the electricity is literally free.

However.

You don't have to spend $50k to buy a used electric car, and you can also split the difference and go for a hybrid that gets 50mpg like... a Prius.

You can even get a sporty-looking hybrid. Do you like any of these? https://www.truecar.com/best-cars-trucks/sedans/fuel-hybrid/

Also are you eliminating hatchbacks? We distinguish a hatchback from a sedan but you might not have intended to. I personally find hatchbacks to be much more practical than cars with separated trunks.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

The Door Frame posted:

But there is another car she seems to really dig, the Nissan Kicks. I'm not a fan of because it seems like it'd be completely gutless, but besides being slow and probably not that fun to drive, is there anything actually bad about them? She's mostly buying for herself, so my worries about performance don't carry much weight

I recently rented a kicks and while it performed okay, I didn't like it at all. Just kept seeing and feeling all the cheapness of the interior all over. Granted, this one was a few years old and didn't even have android auto/Carplay support. Definitely file it under test drive before serious consideration.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Internet Explorer posted:

The CX-30 and the Mazda3 hatchback have almost identical amounts of room. I would do some more research before making a decision. Probably worth going to the CX-5/CX-50.

Oh, that's why I said it wasn't a hill I would die on. I think a Mazda 3 hatch has the perfect amount of room, and she suggested a car that had basically the same amount of room that I thought we needed, but is just taller. Perfect compromise.
She rejected bigger vehicles like the Rogue and CX5, so I think she just likes the look of a CUV, even if it's a miniature CUV :shrug:

Explosionface posted:

I recently rented a kicks and while it performed okay, I didn't like it at all. Just kept seeing and feeling all the cheapness of the interior all over. Granted, this one was a few years old and didn't even have android auto/Carplay support. Definitely file it under test drive before serious consideration.

I've been in my coworkers' Juke and being amazed that he thought it was nice, but I'm extra suspicious of the Kicks because of how cheap and easily you can get Car Play and Adaptive Cruise Control in a brand new one

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

If it were up to me, we'd be getting a 3 or a maybe just a used hybrid if I were being cheap and practical. However, when I brought up the 3, the missus specifically said that we weren't getting another hatchback, that we needed something bigger with more room, like a CX3 or CX30. This is not a hill I'd particularly care to die on, so CX30 it is. I am impressed by the Mazda interiors, they seem fun to drive, the HP/MPG ratio is good enough, I trust Mazda to not deliver a lemon, and they pretty commonly have our two must have features; adaptive cruise control and Car Play. Lucky lucky

Nissan has a history of delivering (IMO) uninspiring vehicles. I don't think it would be unfair to say their offerings in a lot of regards are not on the same tier as Mazda (or Honda or Toyota et cetera) and for a number of reasons. Any of the Mazda crossovers would be a better choice. Being respectful of her opinion though, I think the best thing you can do at this point is have her try out some of these possibilities (and maybe send her an Edmunds review or two).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, that's why I said it wasn't a hill I would die on. I think a Mazda 3 hatch has the perfect amount of room, and she suggested a car that had basically the same amount of room that I thought we needed, but is just taller. Perfect compromise.
She rejected bigger vehicles like the Rogue and CX5, so I think she just likes the look of a CUV, even if it's a miniature CUV :shrug:

All fair. As long as you know what you're getting.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

KillHour posted:

Ok I'll entertain this if it'll give you kind folks any clearer picture. But to restate this is for gathering aesthetic style, which isn't the most important based on my original ask, but since you ask. I don't hate how a Stinger looks if it's all black, but suggesting it defeats the fact that I'm looking for fuel economy. And I kinda stand by my original budget cap

Otherwise the first 3 are too racer boy, yes. The first one is quite funny, the old guy in wraparounds really seals it

I hate how challengers/chargers look. but that greenish one is kinda cool, what is it?

I'm just not a convertible person at all. Or coupes, as I'm actually not trying to pick up chicks

The Genesis is too pretentious to me yes, feels like they were trying really hard to make a car that passes off as european

I do like how some Lexus' look.

I like how Golfs/GTI look and they have the cool/unique factor I appreciate, ultimately not looking for hatchback tho

So, others:

since yall suggested this

Do laugh at my taste. Leperflesh, I'm not looking for hatchbacks, space is not something I need at all. Will get back to that hybrid list soon, thanks!

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 23, 2022

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I had a rental kicks a few years back and it definitely has way less room than a 3 hatch. What I remember most about it was its laughably small gas tank.
It managed like 3.5hrs on the highway before I had to fuel it. Well under 400km.

I'm usually okay with a smaller tank, but what the gently caress? Basically makes it impossible to complete ANY decent day of driving on a single tank. If I took it camping I'd probably have to bring a few cans of gas with me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

lmbo calrissian posted:

Hello, you are about to witness an ask post from the biggest possible dumbass dadless car shopper. I really have no one left to ask IRL, so I'm counting on you guys :pray:
That said I hope how picky I might sound doesn't seem too ridiculous, I am easily persuaded by knowledgeable men esp if you seem be-my-dad material. and can help explain in simply language why

I am currently driving a 2005 Civic with like 180k miles. Its my first/only car. I hate it deeply

Proposed Budget: 15k - 30k. Preferably 25k tops. I'm really looking for an upgrade this time which will last

New or Used: Used. I would sure like something under 50k miles.

Body Style: 4-door, mid to full size sedan. Really not open to anything else. Ideally would really love a sun/moon roof
-Only looking for automatic.

How will you be using the car?
Commuting and just weekend fun. Don't currently commute for work, but I very definitely will again in the future. When I was before, was doing like 30 miles/day. I also just kind of, hang out in my car alot.

What aspects are most important to you?
Now hear me out. I would like something reliable for sure that is primarily for getting around. And to be clear I don't even know how to change my own oil. I would like to learn. But I also very much care about style and comfort, which is why I'm ditching the old one. Clearly, I'm not someone who switches cars often, so I would like to ball out just a little. I want something sportier but not unnecessarily inefficient when I know I won't be doing anything cool with it. Which is to say (all are negotiable):

-I want to stick with Japanese
-I don't want a Toyota or Honda again. hard to describe why exactly other than I want something cooler b/c I want to be cool.
-something sexier than a Camry, but less luxury than a Lexus. I hope the balance I'm looking for makes any sense to yall
-If I go gas, something at least 27-28 mpg (city) would be great. My only reference point on this are the new Legacy and Imprezas.

But, based on me knowing nothing about cars, is getting a CVT /AWD car something I should really avoid or regret? And why? Cost of maintenance is very important for me if it will definitely be a marked difference. Is it true the main problems that came with CVTs are more a thing of the past and not really issues with newer ones anymore?

Do any Acura, Mitsubishi, other JP cars match up to what I'm looking for?

-I am open to a hybrid or EV, but my main thing with them is, they're all ugly. I'm just sort of currently able to afford $7 gas but. Show me a common enough to find/afford currently available hybrid or EV that isn't ugly. I don't actually even know, are there drawbacks to hybrids or EVs? I know it's a whole other story, but any main points about owning one that someone like me should know, esp with maintenance? Considering I don't need a cool car, just want one, should I overlook my hangups and really just go for a hybrid/EV, given the current climate?

If that all didn't sound stupid enough you can definitely present me with a "if you don't know cars at all, you're gonna gently caress up anything else, just get a honda or toyota dumbass" or a greater slur. Thank you, I would love you smart and considerate goons's help

I would get like a 2014 BMW 7 series, tbh

Full size sedan
Looks cool
Toyota uses bmws for their supra now so they're basically Japanese
Under 25k

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hadlock posted:

I would get like a 2014 BMW 7 series, tbh

Full size sedan
Looks cool
Toyota uses bmws for their supra now so they're basically Japanese
Under 25k

Agreed, look at Audi A8 too. I don’t think you’ll get to 25k unless they’re miled out to all hell but at least check it out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Audis are just warmed over Passats

Like buying a Corvette only to find out it has all the interior parts from a Chevy Cobalt

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hadlock posted:

Audis are just warmed over Passats

Like buying a Corvette only to find out it has all the interior parts from a Chevy Cobalt

Nah that's wrong and you should feel bad. There are very few parts bin things in a nice modern Audi. Platform is one thing, I know A3/Golf are very similar, but A8 is a special ride any way you slice it. I'm biased for the dying full size luxo sedan segment though, I like all of them a lot.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

lmbo calrissian posted:

Ok I'll entertain this if it'll give you kind folks any clearer picture. But to restate this is for gathering aesthetic style, which isn't the most important based on my original ask, but since you ask. I don't hate how a Stinger looks if it's all black, but suggesting it defeats the fact that I'm looking for fuel economy. And I kinda stand by my original budget cap

Do laugh at my taste. Leperflesh, I'm not looking for hatchbacks, space is not something I need at all. Will get back to that hybrid list soon, thanks!

How about any of these?

These are all new, close to $25k and most can have a hybrid engine or already get close to 30mpg. You're very limited by your criteria because no one wants to sell cheap sedans anymore, so there aren't many other choices.

If I were you I'd drive the shitbox for another couple of years, and up my budget to 40-50k and then look at ze germans or luxury Japanese/Korean then. Apparently you can get a BMW 3 electric for $45k now? That's not an ugly electric.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 23, 2022

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Just go to Carmax and find the coolest looking small car to you and problem solved.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Mustache Ride posted:

How about any of these?

These are all new, close to $25k and most can have a hybrid engine or already get close to 30mpg. You're very limited by your criteria because no one wants to sell cheap sedans anymore, so there aren't many other choices.

If I were you I'd drive the shitbox for another couple of years, and up my budget to 40-50k and then look at ze germans or luxury Japanese/Korean then. Apparently you can get a BMW 3 electric for $45k now? That's not an ugly electric.

The Kia’s I’m both kinda liking. Is the last mazda a hybrid too or has the option of it?

Yea my friend got a used i3 but it’s hideous. Is the 3 series EV just cheaper than the i4?

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Just go to Carmax and find the coolest looking small car to you and problem solved.

I know this is the simpler route than all the wild stuff I posted, and I may v much go this route, but I still found it very valuable to just hear each and every one’s diverse perspectives anyway. I really really appreciate everyone’s responses!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Going to go look at a ranger tomorrow

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Gonna prowl car max and see if I can find a Subaru that needs a good home with a very broke driver :)

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Gonna prowl car max and see if I can find a Subaru that needs a good home with a very broke driver :)

Buy this goon’s Accord: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=31#post524382131

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dang, looking at that thread, cars with a lot of miles are going for more thousands of dollars than I was expecting.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ornery and Hornery posted:

cars with a lot of miles are going for more thousands of dollars than I was expecting.

:hmmyes:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I might come back and post the template, but as a general car buying question right now, is there anything to make things easier in this market? Car broker? I'm more flexible on cost. Trying to get a small/mid sized electric SUV is like trying to hunt down a unicorn right now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I might come back and post the template, but as a general car buying question right now, is there anything to make things easier in this market? Car broker? I'm more flexible on cost. Trying to get a small/mid sized electric SUV is like trying to hunt down a unicorn right now.

I went through a broker for my last car and I would do it again 100%. Check Leasehackr.

https://forum.leasehackr.com/c/marketplace/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hello, thread!
I am looking to buy a used car:
I'm trying to find a nice comfortable crossover/sub compact SUV, for about 20ish-thousand.
Now note, my last four cars combined are all under this price point, and after I bought my last beater my wife made me promise I'd get a nice car this time.
So this time I'm going to swing all the other way and get like a luxury car. I was looking at the NX but it's a bit too pricey.

What are thread recomendations?