Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Phlegmish posted:

The subject has definitely come up before in this thread - time is cyclical. I remember it being brought up (possibly by me) that the lack of curtains or similar objects in Dutch people's houses has often been linked to their historical Calvinist background. Morally upright citizens have nothing to hide from the rest of the community, and in general they should live as openly, simply, and austerely as possible; that was the idea.
I'm aware that part of the Netherlands is historically Catholic, and it can only ever be a partial explanation anyway, but this Calvinist link has always seemed plausible to me. I guess the real litmus test would be Scotland - what is the custom over there, historically speaking? Similar to the Netherlands, or not at all? Perhaps one of the resident Brits could fill us in.

I personally use window film, as an introvert I absolutely cannot stand the idea of passersby just looking in at me while I'm doing things around the house. Yes, even though in other respects I am quite lax when it comes to privacy.

e: I also have roller shutters on all of my street-facing windows

It's definitely a thing in Britain, having closed blinds is seen as a bit dodgy. Particularly by older and more rural/suburban people. As in, enough so to be subject of gossip or the basis of negative character judgement. Don't think it's a Scottish thing specifically though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Phlegmish posted:

T
I'm aware that part of the Netherlands is historically Catholic,

This part of the Netherlands is generally known as "Belgium"

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Tei posted:

Is true!

I checked in google maps street view
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.9178852,4.4646747,3a,75y,164.3h,66.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snE-PDAGrcu_BCAFSf_XcjQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

or mostly true, most houses also seems to opaque view somehow

Rough ballpark, maybe a quarter of houses have their windows wide open? Similar here: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.446...!7i16384!8i8192 (Vlissingen)

Conversely, I looked around at a handful of places in Wallonia and couldn't find a single apartment with windows wide open ( e.g. https://www.google.com/maps/@50.4564222,4.868144,3a,75y,332.75h,78.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so-5J-C44Ee0Z4kEeWJLm6g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 ), presumably because the Franco-Belgians have so much to hide.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Don't think it's a Scottish thing specifically though.

Ah, so not quite confirmation. Interestingly, one (negative) stereotype that actually does exist for both Scots and the Dutch is that of being stingy/cheap. Well, I suppose it being negative would depend on your point of view.

FreudianSlippers posted:

This part of the Netherlands is generally known as "Belgium"

I know this is a joke, but just to clarify to anyone reading who might be confused, the south of the modern country of the Netherlands is historically Catholic as well. It's not just Belgium. We're getting off-track here, but I've always wondered as to why that would be the case. Over here we take the current north-south religious divide in the Low Countries for granted, but what is now Flanders was actually heavily impacted by the Reformation in its various forms, particularly in Antwerp and the Flemish (in the strict historical sense; as relating to the County of Flanders) countryside. It was only rooted out because the Spanish cracked down hard on it in the territory they controlled. So why did the southern Netherlands, safely on the other side of the border, remain Catholic? I know it basically wasn't considered a fully-fledged part of the country until centuries after the Eighty Years War, but I don't know which is cause and which is effect.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I live in a small (c. 9,000 people) Scottish town that's not too far from Edinburgh but still in quite a rural area. I live in a fairly dense residential neighbourhood of former council housing -- probably about half working boomers and retirees, the other half middle aged families with a few young families mixed in -- and one thing I noticed here after moving in is that almost everyone keeps their street-facing blinds or curtains closed almost all of the time. My wife and I and another young English couple who live just a few houses down are basically the only ones to keep ours mostly open. This also seems to be the general trend in other parts of Scotland I've spent time in as well.

So, yeah, Scotland isn't like the Netherlands in that respect.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe it's both for the same historically Calvinist reasons though.

:geert: "Morally upright citizens have nothing to hide from the rest of the community, and in general they should live as openly, simply, and austerely as possible"
:scotland: "We aren't morally upright, go away"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

We have to abolish the Steelectoral College before the lich John D. Rockefeller is re-elected for the eighteenth time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

What year is it from?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

MeinPanzer posted:

I live in a small (c. 9,000 people) Scottish town that's not too far from Edinburgh but still in quite a rural area. I live in a fairly dense residential neighbourhood of former council housing -- probably about half working boomers and retirees, the other half middle aged families with a few young families mixed in -- and one thing I noticed here after moving in is that almost everyone keeps their street-facing blinds or curtains closed almost all of the time. My wife and I and another young English couple who live just a few houses down are basically the only ones to keep ours mostly open. This also seems to be the general trend in other parts of Scotland I've spent time in as well.

So, yeah, Scotland isn't like the Netherlands in that respect.

but how will they let all the scottish sun into their drab homes?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's probably a joke about hangovers there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

steinrokkan posted:

What year is it from?

I think it's from just before ww2 because they said california's output spiked significantly. I lost the link though lol. I stole it from reddit

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think it's from just before ww2 because they said california's output spiked significantly. I lost the link though lol. I stole it from reddit

Washington: definitely making no materiel contributions in the Second World War.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 23, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Platystemon posted:

Washington: definitely making no materiel contributions in the Second World War.

That's why it's politically loaded

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

What year is it from?

google lens says 1940

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I personally use window film, as an introvert I absolutely cannot stand the idea of passersby just looking in at me while I'm doing things around the house. Yes, even though in other respects I am quite lax when it comes to privacy.

For a year, I lived in a street-level apartment with a large front window. I didn't yet have curtains. The pro power move was to directly stare back at people who looked into my living room.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What the hell did Delaware do that was so important?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe it's both for the same historically Calvinist reasons though.

:geert: "Morally upright citizens have nothing to hide from the rest of the community, and in general they should live as openly, simply, and austerely as possible"
:scotland: "We aren't morally upright, go away"

I think I just have to accept that there's not much evidence for the proposed causal relationship.

...unless it turns out that Swiss (Calvin-influenced) Protestants don't use curtains, either. After that I'm out of ideas.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

For a year, I lived in a street-level apartment with a large front window. I didn't yet have curtains. The pro power move was to directly stare back at people who looked into my living room.

See, I get uncomfortable just thinking about that. I'd probably ineffectually try to ignore them.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 23, 2022

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Re: windows, I've always found it extremely weird that people want and buy houses with huge windows and yet keep their blinds or curtains closed all the time. What's the point of having windows if you don't let in sunlight?

I like light and if some random rear end in a top hat wants to watch my disgusting body from across the street then so be it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Clerestory

Windows

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What the hell did Delaware do that was so important?

Gunpowder, chemicals. Delaware provided the stuff that blew up America's enemies from the Revolution onward, that's how the DuPonts made their money. It's why northern Delaware has so many pretty gardens

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Gunpowder, chemicals. Delaware provided the stuff that blew up America's enemies from the Revolution onward, that's how the DuPonts made their money. It's why northern Delaware has so many pretty gardens
Yup, that sounds pretty important!

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Relatedly, Standard Oil (of New Jersey)'s state of business during the early part of the war:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

What in the hell is that map projection. Make that the standard.

Interesting that it shows eastern Poland as part of the USSR while the rest of it and Czechoslovakia are shown pre-war.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Byzantine posted:

Interesting that it shows eastern Poland as part of the USSR while the rest of it and Czechoslovakia are shown pre-war.

John D Rockerfeller will be dead in the ground before he recognizes the peace of riga

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I'm Dan.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOad90BvvjM

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Darkest Auer posted:

Re: windows, I've always found it extremely weird that people want and buy houses with huge windows and yet keep their blinds or curtains closed all the time. What's the point of having windows if you don't let in sunlight?

I like light and if some random rear end in a top hat wants to watch my disgusting body from across the street then so be it.

A lot of people don't have any or much say in the design of the house they buy. They're buying a pre-built house or a cookie-cutter plan. I'm a cave dweller, so I'd love a house with most of the rooms being windowless.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
My (scottish) flat is on the ground floor without any barrier between me and the street on a fairly busy road, so I keep my blinds shut 24/7 as I do not like the feeling of being watched. I have white vertical blinds that let light through, and unless the sun is out and shining in the direction of the front room of my house (which is very rare), the amount of light that gets in doesn't change much whether I have the blinds open or not.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Byzantine posted:

It is Standard :smug:

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

A lot of people don't have any or much say in the design of the house they buy. They're buying a pre-built house or a cookie-cutter plan. I'm a cave dweller, so I'd love a house with most of the rooms being windowless.

The other purpose of windows is ventilation. I tend to cover every unopened window and love tons of windows for airflow. Not everyone wants windows to see through.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

You're tellin me a country named Chad isn't named after someone?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I think I just have to accept that there's not much evidence for the proposed causal relationship.

...unless it turns out that Swiss (Calvin-influenced) Protestants don't use curtains, either. After that I'm out of ideas.

The Swiss very much keep ground floor curtains drawn, I lived in central Lausanne for 4 years and never saw a ground floor street-facing apartment with open curtains, at least definitely not at night. Although ground floor apartments with windows opening onto the street are not so common like in NL, and often "ground floor" windows are elevated a meter or so off the ground (e.g. as on this street: https://www.google.com/maps/@46.5283468,6.6177153,3a,75y,310.58h,88.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVMI3T_FCUq2wcxLD5vFeDA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 )

Also not quite a map, but definitely politically loaded:

Istanbul: famously a Western European city.
Budapest: famously an Eastern European city.

Maybe the Economist has been running this since before 1989, in which case the distinction might make more sense.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Street level apartments in Denmark often have "frosted" glass up to about 2 meters or so (I don't think its usually actually frosted, just a semi-transparent sheet pasted on the glass). Lets in light but still keeps weirdos from gawking at your nude calisthenics.

In my hometown, some of the old fisher houses have curved glass for most panes that distort the view.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Carthag Tuek posted:

In my hometown, some of the old fisher houses have curved glass for most panes that distort the view.

Ah so you can move your head around to make the nude calisthenics occupants warp into funny shapes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

steinrokkan posted:

Ah so you can move your head around to make the nude calisthenics occupants warp into funny shapes

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 24, 2022

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Lazy map. You should be able to find a mythological founder for almost every country if you try hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sometimes the mythological founder comes long after the nation they allegedly founded, in which case you can't really say that it was named for them.