Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

carbs sound awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I cleaned air filters on three dirt bikes and adjusted the Monkey chain, again. It's at least every 250-300 miles and after 5k miles you'd think the chain would be done stretching. Rollers wearing out? Idk. I've got a new OEM one ready to go. Probably should get the sprockets ordered.
It's getting high time for new tires, too. Unfortunately the most popular ones are out of stock everywhere.

Waiting on a clutch cover gasket, then it's time to replace the clutch in my kid's KLX140. One year of multiple kids learning to use a clutch on this bike has taken its toll. I drained the oil already and it has some interesting looking particles in it. Clutch I hope.
It just stopped moving on the beach last weekend. The clutch had the engagement of a weed whacker spool

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 22, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

right arm posted:

carbs sound awesome

Fuel injection or pure electric are too easy. Each journey should have some component of faffery.

Oh wait, no, that sounds like utter misery.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

carbs sound awesome

How about this: I'll do thirty years worth of damage to your 1290's efi and you can have a go fixing it DIY, then see how you feel.

Steakandchips posted:

Fuel injection or pure electric are too easy. Each journey should have some component of faffery.

Oh wait, no, that sounds like utter misery.

That sounds super miserable, who did that happen to?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Well, the main reason this takes time is that I've never had the need to mess with the insides of a carb before. As in ever, not even on a lawn mower.
It's also slow going because its summer and riding time, and between mine and my brother + father I got 8 other bikes I can use.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But have you considered that a simple device responsible for the flawless running of countless billions of petrol engines for over a century is, in fact, terrible garbage and you're a dumdum for having one?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

He absolutely should consider that, and move to EFI or electric!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Carbureted engines smell bad unless running on alkylate fuel IMHO

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Invalido posted:

Carbureted engines smell bad unless running on alkylate fuel IMHO

Add some castor-based oil and then the smell is right :colbert:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TotalLossBrain posted:

Add some castor-based oil and then the smell is right :colbert:

Castor oil smells great. I used to run it in my childhood methanol/nitro glow engine RC planes and remember it fondly (apart from cleaning up the sticky mess after). Adding perfume to the smelly poo poo that is carbureted pump gas exhaust only makes perfumed poo poo though :colbert:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Not lowly pump gas. Race gas + castor oil

I smell it any time I'm in the dunes. Old 2T race quads all chromed out and burning money. Great smell

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That I can actually believe. Not sure if I have ever smelled the race gas/castor combo but race gas alone is pretty sweet.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I used to have RON 102 fuel a couple of years ago, nearby. Occasionally bought it for the princely sum of 2 euro per liter because it smelled so drat good. Carbureted, non catalyzed exhaust. It had a vague sweet scent to it.
Usually just chucked in RON 95 though. But that definitely smelled less good. Especially Shell's gasoline, which somehow smelled sour.

Now lowly 95 with 10 percent ethanol is already 2,30 or so, and 2,50 for anything with 5 percent or less ethanol (which is pretty much always ron 98 which i don't need, i just want some low ethanol fuel...)

I still avoid Shell V Power because of the sour smell. Bleh.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

best smelling gas is leaded VP race gas

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Huffing gas and comparing notes is too on the nose for this forum, c'mon

"mm yes Charles, lovely bouquet on this one, notes of leather and tobacco"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

Lol

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Welp, almost got hit (my fault looked but it's a busy goddamn parking garage and I couldn't see them till just when I started to turn) and lost my balance going to stop since I was already starting turn. Main damage was to my pride, some knee pain from hitting the cement. Bike is fine, the muffler has a scrape on it but the engine guard bars protected the critical parts and the fairing, and stopped her from going down on my leg.

Good news, they goddamn work, and I can lift my bike up when she's tilted. Bad news is there's a scrape on the muffler and that bar :sad:

I've been riding for 7 years and never had it happen, felt like an idiot but I'm glad nothing's broke and I'm not hurt. Seriously lucky that the engine guard bars stopped it from going completely over because I would have been pinned.

Great reminder that even experience can't protect from unknowns, and it wasn't the other drivers fault at all, it's a bad design on the parking garage and my own rashness which made me not creep out more.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

Huffing gas and comparing notes is too on the nose for this forum, c'mon

it rules tho.

a highlight for me is being at the race track and having all the bikes fire up in the morning when everything is cool and the engines aren’t completely burning their fuel yet.

everything is running a tune and they’re all burning that sweet sweet high octane.

really gets you in a state of mind.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yummycheese posted:

it rules tho.

a highlight for me is being at the race track and having all the bikes fire up in the morning when everything is cool and the engines aren’t completely burning their fuel yet.

everything is running a tune and they’re all burning that sweet sweet high octane.

really gets you in a state of mind.

:hellyeah:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

right arm posted:

best smelling gas is leaded VP race gas, fight me

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Maybe I am misremembering, but wasn't lead sweet or at least pleasent tasting? I think that contributed to it being a real danger, because people were even less wary about ingestion.

mewse
May 2, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

Maybe I am misremembering, but wasn't lead sweet or at least pleasent tasting? I think that contributed to it being a real danger, because people were even less wary about ingestion.

yeah googling “lead sugar” leads to stories about how roman’s would mull wine in lead vessels to make it sweeter

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Buncha lead poisoning itt. Fuel smells 'nice' the same way beer tastes nice - you've been trying to win the manliness contest so long you've internalized something disgusting (I like beer I know what I'm saying) as actually enjoyable. Leaded petrol reeks and makes your eyes water and fucks your skin and gives you boomer brains. It's just a smell associated with fun stuff.

I like the idea of the race paddock bring filled with the tense static and menacing hums of a building thunderstorm, the sense of power coming not from noisy explosions and burning stench, but rather from powerful EM fields pulsing through your body.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol this guy doesn’t get VP on the prison island :D

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sounds like you want to race electrics.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Sounds like you want to race electrics.

Yeah I think it has the potential to be more interesting than petrol racing if the bikes could just suck a little less.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

right arm posted:

100LL has entered the chat.

Only gasoline that doesn’t smell bad before or after it is burned.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lead additives to gasoline are like the Toxoplasma gondii of the chemical world.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Finger Prince posted:

Lead additives to gasoline are like the Toxoplasma gondii of the chemical world.

My love for cats and airplanes is totally genuine.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
100LL is a cheap way to pay for that crazy advance and compression. But it doesn't quite have the same kick as oxygenated race fuel

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
God I hate getting old. Knees alright just still feels stiff as gently caress.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Buncha lead poisoning itt. Fuel smells 'nice' the same way beer tastes nice
Agreed. There are engines which smell nice though when warm. The best in my experience are the fairly old ones. 60s or early 70s. CB350, RD, /2 BMWs. Many 70s mopeds smell the best though. A relatively clean Puch is great.

When I rebuilt my R50 BMW into an R69S I couldn't find used mufflers for it so I had to blow my wallet on reproductions. They smelled like a Walmart trinket factory when I first ran them. It was awful, broke my heart.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A lot of people giving themselves lead poisoning itt instead of smelling the true best exhaust smell, two stroke.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A lot of people giving themselves lead poisoning itt instead of smelling the true best exhaust smell, two stroke.

2t smell is in a category on it's own like everything else about them

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Still regularly smell it because there are still a bunch of Puch mopeds roaming around the cycle paths here, owned by kids who use them to commute to school.

Not my favorite smell tbh.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Like a moron, I broke one of the clutch pressure plate bolt fingers. :(

Tbf it looks like it was made of swiss cheese.
Ordered some aftermarket replacement off eBay. I hope it works

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

yea…. on the sport bikes. it doesnt help that the special tool to hold the clutch basket grabs hold of the rather delicate clutch basket fingers. all the while you gotta put like 100ft/lbs. of torque on the nut that holds the basket to the crank.

on mine the nut is locktite from the factory. so the only way to get it off is heat and an impact. clutch basket loves this obviously.

the clutch basket is also made out of the softest cast aluminum for performance too. thus making it even easier to break

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I *finally* put new tires on the Honda today, and learned a few things:
- the tire changer I bought was 100% worth the money but it also didn't eliminate the need for tire irons, the rear went on fine but the front is just too tight. I still scratched my wheels up a little. I need to get that part figured out before I buy a bike worth keeping shiny
- Remember to balance the wheel before you put it back on the bike, idiot
- The swingarm will slowly slide down my rear stand until it falls off. I got lucky and it came down on the kickstand but it's going to make maintenance extra annoying til I figure out a solution.

FBS fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 26, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FBS posted:

- The swingarm will slowly slide down my rear stand until it falls off. I got lucky and it came down on the swingarm but it's going to make maintenance extra annoying til I figure out a solution.

Spools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The swingarm isn’t threaded for spools on the 919 sadly. My solution was tracking down a homemade service stand a guy used to make that uses the OEM center stand bracket.

e:didn’t click your link. Iiiiiinteresting.