Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

It's funny because this poo poo might have some semblance of a point if it weren't for the fact that Immortal is centered around the PvP and "immortal" aspect bullshit that literally makes the point of the game comparing yourself to other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I was watching some D4 development footage from the blog updates and one thing I noticed is that the dungeons are very well lit and the game looks great in those clips. It makes me wonder if they deliberately mess with the colors in the official trailers just to shut the D2 grognards up? :tinfoil:

You can see for yourself here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKKdmW8zBTY

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Orc Priest posted:

It makes me wonder if they deliberately mess with the colors in the official trailers just to shut the D2 grognards up? :tinfoil:

D2 is a very "bright" game compared to the D4 trailers.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Khorne posted:

D2 is a very "bright" game compared to the D4 trailers.
That's something that's always gotten me about even the D3 complaints about colour. Yeah, D3 might edge a touch too far toward being WoW-y, but... There's plenty of green in Acts 1 and 3, the desert of act 2 is searingly bright, the ice caves in act 5 are a world of blue, and the River of Flame and Chaos Sanctuary are a cacophony of colour (thanks, Oblivion Knights!). D2 had tons of colour, it's just a game from literally 2000 so it's got no modern fidelity.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Imo when people said bright they probably meant pauldron size. I think there's pretty big WoW influence on the character models of D3. It does seem significantly toned down in D4. D2R characters and how items change you also looks pretty good.

The ice caves look fuckin sweet.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It wasn't just the colors but their vibrancy. The d2 grognards were calling it Diablo: My Little Pony so much that we got Whimsyshire as a troll back. And at high level (what is now gr120+) the game does get sometimes hard to read from the neon spam because things live long enough for stacking effects all over the ground, but it is otherwise fine.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

External Organs posted:

Imo when people said bright they probably meant pauldron size. I think there's pretty big WoW influence on the character models of D3. It does seem significantly toned down in D4. D2R characters and how items change you also looks pretty good.

The ice caves look fuckin sweet.

I'm going to link a random diablo 3 gameplay video and you can really see it:
video

The giant neon effects on the enemies, their cartoony exaggerated proportions, the bright damage number popups. There's some really subtle stuff about the way they use color and texture that makes it feel like plastic toys fighting.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's called a house style.

WarCraft III, World of WarCraft, StarCraft II, and Diablo III all use the Blizzard house style that's been in use since 2001. You can even see elements of it in WarCraft II's and StarCraft's concept art by Sam Wise.

Overwatch's in-game art is the beginning of Blizzard's house style going through a major change, but a lot of its concept art still carries a lot of the 2001-2014 style.

Studios develop house styles all the time. It gives a sense of identity for the company and their products. You can tell Disney cartoons apart from Warner Bros cartoons. Or a director will just have a particular artistic vision and all of their work will have a certain look, like shows done by Bruce Timm of Don Bluth.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 22, 2022

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dameius posted:

It wasn't just the colors but their vibrancy. The d2 grognards were calling it Diablo: My Little Pony so much that we got Whimsyshire as a troll back. And at high level (what is now gr120+) the game does get sometimes hard to read from the neon spam because things live long enough for stacking effects all over the ground, but it is otherwise fine.
Sometimes players can identify something is wrong but pin the blame on the wrong system. Most of the D3 backlash was after doing the campaign. There were also lots of people who maybe played through D2 once a decade ago and then bought it and whined. Their marketing for d3 was "dark" while the game wasn't. And it sold an insane number of copies & also blew at release so the combination of all that resulted in some audible complaining.

I can't remember if I complained at first, but my biggest issue was the contrast/brightness were insane with common TN gaming monitor settings at the time. Especially if you had optimal first person shooter settings. I had to adjust a bunch of gpu/monitor settings before D3 looked good at launch and switch between two sets of settings when I went and played other games. These days we have better panels with better color and D3 looks good.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 22, 2022

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Star Man posted:

It's called an in-house style.

WarCraft III, World of WarCraft, StarCraft II, and Diablo III all use the in-house Blizzard style that's been in use since 2001. You can even see elements of it in WarCraft II's and StarCraft's concept art by Sam Wise.

Overwatch's in-game art is the beginning of Blizzard's in-house style going through a major change, but a lot of its concept art still carries a lot of the 2001-2014 style.

Thanks, that is really a good way to describe it. Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 using the in-house style really rubbed me the wrong way at their release.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Orc Priest posted:

I was watching some D4 development footage from the blog updates and one thing I noticed is that the dungeons are very well lit and the game looks great in those clips. It makes me wonder if they deliberately mess with the colors in the official trailers just to shut the D2 grognards up? :tinfoil:

You can see for yourself here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKKdmW8zBTY

druid is giving me shirtless kylo ren vibes

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

WarpedLichen posted:

Thanks, that is really a good way to describe it. Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 using the in-house style really rubbed me the wrong way at their release.

I think it's rubbed people the wrong way because the backlash against WoW is just that enormous, and anything that even has the same look as it earns a lot of hate.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

bamhand posted:

Does area damage work with mystic ally? I know it doesn't for wizard mirror image. Generally if area damage works for your build then it's top priority for GR pushing.

Certainly it didn't work with the old fire build and was rolled off every item. That might be because they split or something.

It also used Shenlong's not the Inna's diabo.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Khorne posted:

Sometimes players can identify something is wrong but pin the blame on the wrong system. Most of the D3 backlash was after doing the campaign. There were also lots of people who maybe played through D2 once a decade ago and then bought it and whined. Their marketing for d3 was "dark" while the game wasn't. And it sold an insane number of copies & also blew at release so the combination of all that resulted in some audible complaining.

I can't remember if I complained at first, but my biggest issue was the contrast/brightness were insane with common TN gaming monitor settings at the time. Especially if you had optimal first person shooter settings. I had to adjust a bunch of gpu/monitor settings before D3 looked good at launch and switch between two sets of settings when I went and played other games. These days we have better panels with better color and D3 looks good.

We must of had some very different hardware and very different profiles at launch because I never went through having to do that. :shrug: I also started off with basically mildly positive/indifferent to the art style to having it really grow on me over time.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dameius posted:

We must of had some very different hardware and very different profiles at launch because I never went through having to do that. :shrug: I also started off with basically mildly positive/indifferent to the art style to having it really grow on me over time.
I had super high brightness & digital vibrance at the time.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Coming back to the game for the first time since 2012 when it launched. When clearing normal rifts, should I TP after summoning and defeating the rift guardian or keep going? Usually I summon it around floor 3 and I saw that there is additional floors.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Aero737 posted:

Coming back to the game for the first time since 2012 when it launched. When clearing normal rifts, should I TP after summoning and defeating the rift guardian or keep going? Usually I summon it around floor 3 and I saw that there is additional floors.

That depends on whether you are there for GR keys or death’s breaths. If the former, leave on RG kill. If the latter, it doesn’t really matter.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you're trying to ultimate min/max everything you're doing always leave after RG kill. If you're playing super casual then just do whatever feels best in the moment.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don't understand how to play earth allies inna and im not sure I would want to from what I do understand.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I feel like conventional wisdom for leaving or staying in a rift was “is it an open map tileset with a lot of champs?” If yes, clear it. If not, leave.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The number of rift floors depends on how big each floor is: there's a certain amount of stuff for you to kill (much more than 100% of the bar). Sometimes you get Superjail or some big layout like that where there's only one floor.

And yeah, if you're interested in DBs and you're on a big open layout, it might be worth making a quick pass for elite packs on that floor.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't understand how to play earth allies inna and im not sure I would want to from what I do understand.

It's like fire except lovely and you add tp to the rotation.

What I really really want for the next season or two is a fast and strong necro build. I mean fast fast. Inna's fast or GoD fast.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I want to see Lazymancer with a speed boost become viable again.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Unless you're really trying to push it, water is just better imo. The freeze helps you not explode if you miss reapplying one of your short-duration toughness buffs (because they're annoying).

I also don't like Inna, though. Lazy PoJ TR is about the only monk build I can stand.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The return of the Lazymancer would be great. Give it a buff for using a 2 handed scythe too.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Miranae gem nerf was the single stupidest nerf in Diablo 3 history and they should roll it back, it wouldn’t even be OP in today’s meta.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Necromancer has way more visually cool abilities than just bone armour. A tanky Rat variation, that would be ideal.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I will always lament the day they killed my precious 4th of July/1812 overture monk build :smith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For the morbidly curious

https://dimi777.github.io/diablo-rift-simulator/

This is a simulation of Diablo: Immortals lootboxes, so you can see how much you’d have to spend to get anything cool.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
My favorite chill build was always tal rashas, you’d just teleport everywhere with badass meteors falling on the screen not even needing to push a button.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bust Rodd posted:

For the morbidly curious

https://dimi777.github.io/diablo-rift-simulator/

This is a simulation of Diablo: Immortals lootboxes, so you can see how much you’d have to spend to get anything cool.

lol the slot machine animation is :discourse:

edit: also you can just spam click the button to interrupt the animation if you don't want to watch hours of spinning wheels. Nice touch.

$2.5k in and the best I have is a 4 star

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 23, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ort posted:

My favorite chill build was always tal rashas, you’d just teleport everywhere with badass meteors falling on the screen not even needing to push a button.

Lazymancer is my favorite because it’s sooooooo lazy, but the 100% pony crusader build where you just ponied around while exploding barrels of nails just fell out of the sky on everything around you was a particularly deliciously way of living. So fast and always comically dragging elites behind you like tin cans on a newlyweds car, while everything just gets nuked by my Guardian Angel, Donkey Kong

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Got my first one at $12,850. Looks like I'm lucky!

So what's the story with all the 1 star gems etc? Vendor trash? Because I've got almost 5,000 1 and two stars from that batch of button mashing and you know there's not enough stash space for that.

edit:
Oh wow, I am a lucky boy! Second run through I got a five star after ONLY $2475! For the low low price of a really nice gaming PC I could have had a digital gem!

It kills me that these gems cost more than real actual gems bought from a rip off jeweler with the de beers tax.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 23, 2022

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Ort posted:

Tal's is super fun. And bonus points because your weapon's damage type will call a meteor too

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I ran a lightning meteor double-channel Tal's build back before the nerfs and power creep. Probably my all-time favourite D3 build. RIP in peace.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is Tal Rasha viable for anything anymore? Why did they kill the whole set?

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

Got my first one at $12,850. Looks like I'm lucky!

So what's the story with all the 1 star gems etc? Vendor trash? Because I've got almost 5,000 1 and two stars from that batch of button mashing and you know there's not enough stash space for that.

edit:
Oh wow, I am a lucky boy! Second run through I got a five star after ONLY $2475! For the low low price of a really nice gaming PC I could have had a digital gem!

It kills me that these gems cost more than real actual gems bought from a rip off jeweler with the de beers tax.

I ran this thing and had two observations. First, I got a 2/5-star legendary gem at just $100 spent! Yes! Winning! Now I can UPGRADE!

Now. I might be mistaken, but I think to upgrade this gem you need a 1-star legendary gem of the same type. My 2-star gem was some blue cylindrical thing with a kind of metal bottom, so I decided to see how long it would take me to get another one of those blue cylinder gems and the answer was $2,875. Down payment on a car or legendary gem? I think the choice is clear.

Then I hit the button that auto-rerolls until you get a 5/5 star and went to bed. When I woke up it had crashed my computer.

So yeah, it's loving completely ridiculous nonsense clearly designed entirely as a gross exploitative slot machine that preys on addicts and dummies but have you considered

GAME FUN SO WHAT

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

assuming you have all 2-star gems as a free player (which is not exactly a given either), you still need to break down the 1-star gems for components that you'll use to upgrade the RANK (not the stars) of the gem

specifically, at rank 5 is when gems get Magic Find (as far as I know)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lol one gem? please, you need six!

at least six, since that assumes no dupes and that you got the ones you want for your build

time to start leveling them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

With incredible value like that, you’d almost be an idiot NOT to buy it!