Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Did a seatbelt save the guy whose car was pulverized against the median by a semi? No. Therefore, seatbelts are completely pointless."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

"Except abortion! Those laws against abortion are cool and good, and work great. More of those please."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'd have more respect (or less disgust) for his opinion if he just said "the state's interest in preventing gun violence is not really relevant here because carrying guns outside the home is a fundamental constitutional right, period". This pissy sniping about how CCW bans wouldn't have stopped Buffalo is just attacking for the sake of attacking.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'd have less of a problem (only slightly so but still) if these people were at least consistent with their insane positions. You can't say money is speech and then say boycotts aren't protected speech that's totally incoherent.

These two things were said by different people. The "boycotts aren't protected speech" decision came from a lower court judge, not the Supreme Court.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

These two things were said by different people. The "boycotts aren't protected speech" decision came from a lower court judge, not the Supreme Court.

I know but I'm sure that Trump judge agrees money is speech.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rigel posted:

I'd have more respect (or less disgust) for his opinion if he just said "the state's interest in preventing gun violence is not really relevant here because carrying guns outside the home is a fundamental constitutional right, period". This pissy sniping about how CCW bans wouldn't have stopped Buffalo is just attacking for the sake of attacking.

The main opinion is so sweeping already that his concurrence doesn't really have to add anything beyond petty sniping.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1539983073806270471

What sticks out about that ruling isn't just that it ruled against gun control, but that they let Thomas wrote the opinion and enshrine his radical originalism into precedent. He's basically ruled that we can't regulate guns any more than the Founding Fathers would have.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Main Paineframe posted:

What sticks out about that ruling isn't just that it ruled against gun control, but that they let Thomas wrote the opinion and enshrine his radical originalism into precedent. He's basically ruled that we can't regulate guns any more than the Founding Fathers would have.

Except you still have to ignore the "well-regulated militia" part, because that was deleted by the court in 2008 and precedent is sacrosanct

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Look turns out it *is* a suicide pact

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rigel posted:

Alito loves petty sniping.

Mass shootings seem to mainly be done with rifles. This law is about concealed carry of handguns which I would assume are intended more to prevent muggings and similar.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Why bother having any laws at all if people are just going to break them anyway

This isn't what Justice Alito is saying-- he's saying the law in question doesn't have anything to do with the mass shootings (shooters were using rifles and weren't carrying concealed, etc, so they weren't in violation of this law at all), so they're not relevant to this case. He's still a fuckhead for other reasons, but it's accurate as far as it goes.

Rigel posted:

He's responding to what's written in the dissent, not just sniping for no reason.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Pretty hard not to despair

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1539982278037831680?s=21&t=gfmjWqO-dg2V-flr1lg59Q

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The main opinion is so sweeping already that his concurrence doesn't really have to add anything beyond petty sniping.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1539983073806270471

If Thomas truly was going to do radical originalism he would’ve ruled that the 2nd amendment didn’t apply to states.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rigel posted:

I mean this is what happens when we're governed by people whose professional qualifications amount to "watches Fox a lot".

I try to put myself in the mindset that while this experiment in democracy has failed, most humans throughout history have lived under some form of oligarchy so we're in good company.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 23, 2022

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Dopilsya posted:

This isn't what Justice Alito is saying-- he's saying the law in question doesn't have anything to do with the mass shootings (shooters were using rifles and weren't carrying concealed, etc, so they weren't in violation of this law at all), so they're not relevant to this case. He's still a fuckhead for other reasons, but it's accurate as far as it goes.

He's responding to what's written in the dissent, not just sniping for no reason.

Right, on legal grounds this is decided correctly. The dissenting liberal judges probably even know it too, hence talking about gun death stats on suicide, mass shootings etc, when this case was about CCW, not gun ownership. Alito actually rightfully calls it out.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

Right, on legal grounds this is decided correctly. The dissenting liberal judges probably even know it too, hence talking about gun death stats on suicide, mass shootings etc, when this case was about CCW, not gun ownership. Alito actually rightfully calls it out.

Well this case, even though it's about CCW, is about to create binding precedent that says it doesn't matter if we are having daily mass murders - we cannot outlaw Murder Tools if there was not a historical tradition of banning them. Seems like a fine time to raise an argument about mass murders in the dissent.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Devor posted:

Well this case, even though it's about CCW, is about to create binding precedent that says it doesn't matter if we are having daily mass murders - we cannot outlaw Murder Tools if there was not a historical tradition of banning them. Seems like a fine time to raise an argument about mass murders in the dissent.

I'd worry more about setting precedent if I thought that the Republicans cared about it. This sort of thing will not change the outcome of any policy decision.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Granted, that's only two elections (GWB 1st term and Trump), but the timing of those elections had some pretty juicy consequences. I agree with the basic idea, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

IT BURNS posted:

Granted, that's only two elections (GWB 1st term and Trump), but the timing of those elections had some pretty juicy consequences. I agree with the basic idea, though.

Also unfortunate that Marshall got sick when he did otherwise he would've retired under Clinton and we'd been spared Thomas.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

IT BURNS posted:

Elections where the Dem won the electoral college still count as "the GOP lost the popular vote". The point is that they've only had a legitimate mandate to govern for 8 years out of the past 34 and still control 2/3 of SCOTUS

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

haveblue posted:

Elections where the Dem won the electoral college still count as "the GOP lost the popular vote". The point is that they've only had a legitimate mandate to govern for 8 years out of the past 34 and still control 2/3 of SCOTUS

If only someone had warned us about this the last time there was an opportunity to avoid it in 2016. I guess it turns out that elections have consequences?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
SCOTUS: Precedent doesn't matter, who cares what someone in the past thought the law should be! Also all rulings only care about "history and tradition" and if it goes against what someone in the past thought the law should be it's unconstitutional

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Devor posted:

Right and that's entirely accurate. If something is a constitutional right, a state cannot outlaw it. Legislation is the correct response to that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Right and that's entirely accurate. If something is a constitutional right, a state cannot outlaw it. Legislation is the correct response to that.

I have bad news about constitutional rights and legislation

Edit: Bad news in this context, not always bad in the context of rights

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Breyer makes clear in the dissent that he believes means-end scrutiny is correct and the harms of gun violence and the state interest in preventing them are important things to consider when balancing those interests. He cites examples where the court does this in other areas (1st amendment, for example). All of section IIIA of the dissent.

You can say you disagree with this reasoning, sure absolutely. But the credulous "he's objectively wrong and just wasting paper on emotional arguments" stuff is crap.

Sub Par fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 23, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

"Alito is right" is probably the point when you should consider you have an incorrect view on how a law was decided.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Does this affect reciprocity at all?

Does New York need to honor a Mississippi permit now?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

If only someone had warned us about this the last time there was an opportunity to avoid it in 2016. I guess it turns out that elections have consequences?

Yeah, turns out electing Republicans has serious short term consequences and electing Democrats delivers serious long term consequences.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The correct response to a constitutionality issue is an amendment. Good luck with that

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Kaal posted:

I'd worry more about setting precedent if I thought that the Republicans cared about it. This sort of thing will not change the outcome of any policy decision.

The New York law this overturned had been in place for over a century. Precedent is dead.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Piell posted:

SCOTUS: Precedent doesn't matter, who cares what someone in the past thought the law should be! Also all rulings only care about "history and tradition" and if it goes against what someone in the past thought the law should be it's unconstitutional
Of course.

However, if by some miracle, there is a 5-4 progressive SCOTUS in 20 years who want to re-instate abortion and gay marriage and enforcement ability of government institutions, I guarantee the regressives on the court would complain about them ignoring precedent.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Of course.

However, if by some miracle, there is a more progressive SCOTUS in 20 years who want to re-instate abortion and gay marriage and enforcement ability of government institutions, I guarantee the regressive on the court would complain about them ignoring precedent.

Don't forget being 'activist judges' who 'legislate from the bench.'

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It's all calvinball at this point, with the only consistent rule being "reactionary christians win"

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Sub Par posted:

Breyer makes clear in the dissent that he believes means-end scrutiny is correct and the harms of gun violence and the state interest in preventing them are important things to consider when balancing those interests. He cites examples where the court does this in other areas (1st amendment, for example). All of section IIIA of the dissent.

You can say you disagree with this reasoning, sure absolutely. But the credulous "he's objectively wrong and just wasting paper on emotional arguments" stuff is crap.

The state can have an interest against constitutional rights, I don't disagree with that, but a citizen having to have a 'special need' to be allowed to have a constitutional right is ridiculous and entirely inconsistent with how rights are supposed to work. The main issue in this case is whether everyone has rights or just the select people the state says are allowed to have rights. i.e. the good ol boys club, rich and well connected people.

haveblue posted:

The correct response to a constitutionality issue is an amendment. Good luck with that

Yeah it may suck but that's how the country works. Guns are part of the constitution, and the constitution cant be changed easily, for good reasons.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Yeah it may suck but that's how the country works. Guns are part of the constitution, and the constitution cant be changed easily, for good reasons.

Guns are in the constitution? Oh word? Where are they mentioned?

moose47
Oct 11, 2006

Alito chiding Breyer for bringing up mass shootings is hilarious. I wonder if he has the same problem with Thomas recounting the gory details of every crime in his opinions.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The state can have an interest against constitutional rights, I don't disagree with that, but a citizen having to have a 'special need' to be allowed to have a constitutional right is ridiculous and entirely inconsistent with how rights are supposed to work. The main issue in this case is whether everyone has rights or just the select people the state says are allowed to have rights. i.e. the good ol boys club, rich and well connected people.

There's no constitutional right to concealed carry, and no one would have argued otherwise prior to the NRA revising 2A history over the last 50 years.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

I understand and disagree with this but the main point to make is that this case isn't just about CCW. It's about the types of restrictions government can place on gun ownership and use generally and which tests should be used to determine whether those restrictions are valid. CCW is the context of this particular case, but the whole point here is to abstract out some principles. That's why the stats Breyer is quoting are germane to his argument.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

What good reasons are those at this point?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jaxyon posted:

Guns are in the constitution? Oh word? Where are they mentioned?

Amendment II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Originalism lol

https://twitter.com/MarkFrassetto/status/1539996546514784256?s=20&t=dDUlsu9f1gS9h7TA4PdJng