Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bduOMImSzjM

This scene from Harvester has stuck with me ever since I watched the SA LP. "You can't live without a spinal cord son. Nothing unnatural about that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Black August posted:

Proper modern day Mythos horror would be easy by basing the long term plot around the concept of ‘humanity is on the verge of creating its own Great One and becoming a Servitor Race’ and it turns out the stars going right and all the other old ones waking up is actually to bear witness to the event and celebrate it

If you go back and read the part where Inspector Legrasse interviews Old Castro, the one cogent Cthulhu cultist they arrested, he's clear that the way you know Cthulhu is coming back is that humanity has basically become like the Old Ones- amoral, reveling, free in the most horrible way- and then Cthulhu wakes up and takes the lead. Games and stories tend to feature the idea that he might wake up and eat us all but he's more of a thing that happens once we've done it to ourselves, assisting us in the annihilation of our civilization once we've already got it under way.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I am incapable of seeing a body in a horror movie and not saying "I'd say this was natural causes." It is a problem, but I am not making an effort to fix it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Actually Guybrush doesn't shipwreck the ship until later when, if I remember correctly, he accidentally launches a cannonball from a rubber tree? Getting to Monkey Island just involves doing some magic, getting in a cannon (with appropriate safe headwear) and firing himself at the island.

Edit: This is a pretty high level of pedantry, I am aware.

The clincher is that you don't actually have to sink the ship but the game lets you do it and gives you an extra scene at the end for it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bduOMImSzjM

This scene from Harvester has stuck with me ever since I watched the SA LP. "You can't live without a spinal cord son. Nothing unnatural about that."

I think most of the game was horrible trash, but that scene is indeed really funny.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Is anyone playing through Trash Horror Collection? It's this collection of 10 or so mini-horror games which are super serious to not serious at all for about $5 and I really enjoyed it. It's in that theme of PSX 90s horror games.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2017370/Trash_Horror_Collection/

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Man these horror games coming out in the next few months look like they could be dogshit

*adds them all to Gamefly que*

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Holy poo poo I figured this went out of service alongside Blockbuster, it's still going?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Holy poo poo I figured this went out of service alongside Blockbuster, it's still going?

The physical mailing program is still going, but they shut down their streaming services in 2018.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think most of the game was horrible trash, but that scene is indeed really funny.

The star of the cowboy show reading his responses to Steve off cue cards and them cutting away when the sheriff hits the deputy with a newspaper (the only time the game cuts away from violence) are both pretty funny.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.eurogamer.net/creative-assembly-reveals-ballsy-multiplayer-sci-fi-heist-shooter-hyenas

The Creative Assembly game referenced earlier in the thread. It's not Alien: Desolation :arghfist:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The physical mailing program is still going, but they shut down their streaming services in 2018.

Every few years they give me a month for a dollar so I'll sub for that month. This time they did that and when I went to cancel they said "ok fine, hey actually what if we give you another month free?" So I've had two months for a dollar.

The downside to Gamefly is that I've found that a lot of games I'd like to check out don't have physical releases.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Jolo posted:

Every few years they give me a month for a dollar so I'll sub for that month. This time they did that and when I went to cancel they said "ok fine, hey actually what if we give you another month free?" So I've had two months for a dollar.

The downside to Gamefly is that I've found that a lot of games I'd like to check out don't have physical releases.

I kept meaning to get on trying it, after they won their fight with USPS, and then just...keep forgetting. Have you found it to be worth it overall?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I kept meaning to get on trying it, after they won their fight with USPS, and then just...keep forgetting. Have you found it to be worth it overall?

The price of a single AAA release is the same as four months of the basic plan. Its great imo. I rented Dying Light 2 and the new Mario soccer game recently, and I would've deeply regretted buying those.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Disposable Scud posted:

The price of a single AAA release is the same as four months of the basic plan. Its great imo. I rented Dying Light 2 and the new Mario soccer game recently, and I would've deeply regretted buying those.

I had no idea it was around still, so that's great to find out. I jump into gamepass occasionally for pc stuff, having something similar for consoles would be awesome.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 23, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If you live near one check out your local library. Mine usually gets the new AAA releases and then they're just free

WattsvilleBlues posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/creative-assembly-reveals-ballsy-multiplayer-sci-fi-heist-shooter-hyenas

The Creative Assembly game referenced earlier in the thread. It's not Alien: Desolation :arghfist:

Surprising nobody Twitter leakers were wrong again

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like that Yuji Naka offhandedly just confirmed a well documented but still unverified rumor regarding Michael Jackson's involvement with Sonic 3 on Twitter this morning. Dude is just angry posting and it rules.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
how, EXACTLY, does the friends pass work for the dark pictures games? is it local coop only? how do they dl the trial? why is there a file in my library? google isnt really helping

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

sigher posted:

This looks great, god drat.

They basically found that their game wasn't that fun, had to restart but didn't have any funding anymore so the project was shelved.

This is what I’m worried about for Scorn (the not fun part, not the running out of money part). We’ve basically just seen the same 10 minutes of gameplay over and over with somewhat better graphics and, while they mail the Giger+Beksinski art style*, the gameplay itself doesn’t exactly look compelling.

*Though even this is less compelling these days. A lot of games lately are adopting Beksinksi’s style.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Alien: Isolation was also just ported to iPhones and iPads for some reason. Seems like something that would cost more to port than you would make back in sales, but maybe it was to get practice for releasing to mobile.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The main personal reason that I don't stay subbed to Gamefly is that it puts kind of a psychological pressure to play whatever I have checked out and also makes me question "am I having enough to fun with this or would I be having more fun with game2 or game3?" I think that kind of pressure goes both ways. With games like Ghostwire and Dying Light 2 I realized pretty quickly that I would rather be playing something else, so that worked out way better than if I'd bought them.

On the other hand, I grabbed Pokemon Snap and it's a super chill play a little here and there type of game but having it out from Gamefly felt like I should be playing it more often to justify paying to rent it. (the entire dollar!)

Maybe the best reason to sub for a short while is so that you get a month or two for a dollar every few years.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Puppet Combo had a big stream of a lot of cool poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSVnvfbcoCQ&t=1763s

Summary of the reveals here:

https://www.destructoid.com/puppet-combo-direct-bloodwash-power-drill-massacre-stay-out-of-the-house-deadly-night/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pulcinella posted:

This is what I’m worried about for Scorn (the not fun part, not the running out of money part). We’ve basically just seen the same 10 minutes of gameplay over and over with somewhat better graphics and, while they mail the Giger+Beksinski art style*, the gameplay itself doesn’t exactly look compelling.

*Though even this is less compelling these days. A lot of games lately are adopting Beksinksi’s style.

Alien: Isolation was also just ported to iPhones and iPads for some reason. Seems like something that would cost more to port than you would make back in sales, but maybe it was to get practice for releasing to mobile.

When Alien: Blackout was announced I was gutted it wasn't a proper sequel.

What other games have a Beksinki style to them?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I made it halfway through the video and didn't see a single interesting element, which is strange with how good CA is with their game design.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

For the most part it doesn't, but Plague Tale: Innocence has a huge Beksinski inspired cathedral.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elden Ring seemed like it has some bits that were more inspired than Souls usually is (probably a lot lol)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Returnal, in a lot of it's environment designs, reminded me a lot of this guys works. I imagine he must've been an inspiration because, like, the third biome of that game looks straight of his paintings.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Returnal, Tormentum, The Medium, some areas in Destiny 2 (mostly the moon), but tbh he was a very prolific painter and had a ton of different looking pieces of art but all the Beksinski inspired games virtually always just crib from his spindly looking architecture so it's another case of games being incredibly uncreative and turning something idiosyncratic into blandness. Tormentum and Returnal are the most directly inspired and I'd say Returnal does the best job of capturing the ambiance of his work and not just aesthetics.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I really wanted to like The Medium, especially coming from the Blair Witch dudes, but I couldn't get into its story or gameplay.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
castlevania lords of shadow is the first one i can think of that borrowed from beksinski's aesthetics directly

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What are some period horror games like Vampyr, I've been playing Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One and I'm in the mood for that poo poo.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

What are some period horror games like Vampyr, I've been playing Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One and I'm in the mood for that poo poo.

Nightmare Creatures.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Oldstench posted:

Nightmare Creatures.

I've played that a ton of times already lol

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

When Alien: Blackout was announced I was gutted it wasn't a proper sequel.

In addition to the ones mentioned, I’ve also seen a lot of in-development indie games pulling from his style. E.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZCwAbupJdQ

I mostly just find it “creatively annoying” I guess. Just feels like you can tell a lot of people were influenced by the same thing at roughly the same time and rushed to strip mine it of all creativity as fast as possible. Same thing happens with the Planet Earth documentary. It introduced the Cordyceps fungus to a lot of people and over the next few years it was everywhere in fictional media. The Last of Us and The Girl with All the Gifts were to two big ones, but it showed up in a lot of smaller media as well.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That whole look peaked with the Hyperion boss fight in Returnal.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I like seeing Beksinki inspired things!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

One thing Returnal really did right with that look is that it didn't act like his paintings were all desaturated and dark and orangish. He had some really brilliant use of color in some of his pieces.

Too many games also rely on the "spindly structure with spindly creatures" thing and not enough on "impossible doorways and portals" or "big giant dude who is has a sunset horizon for a body under his cape."

I think inevitably any "weird" inspiration like him gets diluted when it ends up being cribbed.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Where're all the Magritte-inspired horror games?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
the underground cities in elden ring are super beksinski, they're great

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

FirstAidKite posted:

Where're all the Magritte-inspired horror games?

Alien Isolation but the xenomorph is replaced by this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also only semi-related since it is about art but in the original Alone in the Dark trilogy, there was always a shot near the beginning where the camera angle was done so it'd look like the protagonist was being watched from far away by a monster and I always loved those specific shots and wish more fixed-camera horror games used them.