Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

For inspo, these two photographers do interesting work and are pretty distinct from each other, and you can see how much a difference the model can make in the photos.

https://instagram.com/candagarslani
https://instagram.com/lukasz_wierzbowski

I’m working with tfp models and so to an extent I have to work with what I’ve got. i’m doing what I can to direct them, and tbf Ive only done make half a doz shoots so it’s still very early days. I do appreciate the input though, not getting that anywhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

echinopsis posted:

if I shared a couple of the dng files, do you think anyone would have the motivation and spare time to see what they could do? just for curiosities sake? (i wouldn’t post them or whatever, not looking for free labour)

Sure, post. It can be an exercise like the now dead editing challenge thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

Sure, post. It can be an exercise like the now dead editing challenge thread

https://mega.nz/folder/jERWhbja#msZRigIjdP2GdSZdcMCG4w

alrighty I've put a couple in there. only if people have time and interest to edit them. just for curiosities sake, what someone else can get out of them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tomorrow I have a group TFP meetup, so will hopefully get a lot of photos. lets see if I can't gently caress it up too badly lol

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

a real quick neutral warm process on this one and a tighter crop

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

eyepatch by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

a real quick neutral warm process on this one and a tighter crop

Actually yeah that crop is much better.

and can you describe the process a bit better? if you don't mind

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

It's hard to describe, I generally process to create the mood that I wanted/felt/envisioned when I was taking the photo.
Since I didn't take this one I went for a neutral mood - warmish tones, bright, airy, with pastel colours.
Depending on the image, I would use masking to enhance what I'm going in terms of tones/colour but this was just a quick 5 min process so it was all done within camera raw.

Interestingly enough the camera raw settings I used were saved into the DNG file (and so were yours), so you can download it here to see the exact settings applied.
https://we.tl/t-mjmWwvKxpV

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

It's hard to describe, I generally process to create the mood that I wanted/felt/envisioned when I was taking the photo.
Since I didn't take this one I went for a neutral mood - warmish tones, bright, airy, with pastel colours.
Depending on the image, I would use masking to enhance what I'm going in terms of tones/colour but this was just a quick 5 min process so it was all done within camera raw.

Interestingly enough the camera raw settings I used were saved into the DNG file (and so were yours), so you can download it here to see the exact settings applied.
https://we.tl/t-mjmWwvKxpV

I appreciate that, and yeah that's a benefit of exporting a dng rather than finding the original dng and copying that.

Just curious how you actually achieved that look.

I went to a photography meetup on the weekend. It was kind awkward and the natural lighting was quite poo poo, but I impressed some people including one of my cities best boudoir photographers. I don't want to tell them that my secret is basically using a 135mm lens, and no one else shoots longer than 85mm and most less than that, so I am really getting that background separation and compression that looks professional, even if my shots are quite average. I ain't complaining though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is this thread cool with nudity? Should I link it? Can I just hide it behind a spoiler? I took photo/s I really like the aesthetic of, therefore I need constructive criticism to be a better photographer.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Cool with nudity but link it please. Spoilering still downloads the image which can he troublesome for those browsing at work.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Will do. Presented without further context. I'm looking for raw feedback so I won't explain what I was going for yet.

:nws:

Model Looking Right
https://flic.kr/p/2ntDTAz

Model Looking Left
https://flic.kr/p/2ntDTEn

Model Meditation
https://flic.kr/p/2ntKadF

Model Supine Log
https://flic.kr/p/2ntDTKx

Model Reaching Water From Log
https://flic.kr/p/2ntLnqc

:nws:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

feels like you were horny

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Like neil breen level horny

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I don't see what her nudity brings to the scene. Why is she nude?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

there's definitely a fae/faerie thing going but the nudity detracts from it, it's not that the images themselves are off but nothing is considered in a void, there's a weight to "nude person in the woods" that's hard to avoid. i just don't see the images, especially as a set, forming something whole that really speaks for itself. i'm interested what you were going for, a statement can make or break a set like this

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can we expand on why the photos feel sexual? Is it just a lack of context for nudity? I tried very hard to clearly make the subject her and not her body, but the tattoos everywhere probably don't help.

Yes the ultimate goal for this shoot is to lean into the faerie/woods theme so I'm glad at least some of that energy is there. She has a costume that she wants to wear, she also wanted to be fully nude but we were on public property and I didn't feel like going to jail. Topless in public is legal here but full nudity is not. I'm actually wary that the makeup, costume, and props she wants to add to these photos will cheapen the result or make it just feel even more like sexy faerie.

So this is a bit of a trial run to establish some posing, try out the location, and, for me specifically, develop a low fidelity aesthetic to use in other photography. I'm actually surprised there wasn't a single mention of the noise. I guess that was less distracting than her nudity. The shoot was during heavy overcast, at sunset, in the woods so there really wasn't much I could do there. Shutter priority to 1/160 and hope for the best.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 23, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

They feel horny because the only thing interesting about the photos is that she's naked. The posing is awkward, especially in the photo where she's on a log holding her neck in an odd position, the lighting is uninteresting and flat. They're just, boring photos of a nude lady.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You've got a model with a nearly blank expression, in flat light, making very static poses. If you wanted to make the subject her and not her body then you need to have some of her personality come through. If you have achieved that here then you have told us that this is a deeply uninteresting woman. I choose to believe you have failed, and that you should let her direct the costuming and poses next time. No amount of makeup or costumes could cheapen these photos. The worst thing about them is that they are boring. I don't even find them sexual. The entirety of the energy given off is that you had a model in the woods that you could convince to take her top off. It isn't sexy, it feels exploitative.
The noise is whatever. If that was the problem with the photos then that would mean that everything else was good, which is isn't so the noise isn't a problem. If you shot with the intention of producing noise then I would ask why, because I don't see what it would add to the photos.
You should go back on a day with more interesting light, and let her wear whatever she wants. It would probably be cool.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh...OH, here it comes. The self reflection about where I am as a photographer. The good stuff. Client feedback has always been positive and I thought something weird was going on. So I appreciate the feedback. It wont be the last time we do this specific shoot so I will take this information and utilize it. I did bring some umbrellas that never came out, should have trusted that instinct. Maybe I'll go back into Lightroom and add a little more fidelity. A lot of my regular portraiture is usually high key or low key. I was getting pretty bored of it and wanted to try something different.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
As a set I didn't understand what you wanted to show other than 'topless lady in woods'. The first two are poorly lit and even if the images were more interesting, this makes it hard to want to be drawn into them.

It feels like you have two separate themes and they don't ever really come together to form a whole. There's the lady who could be an interesting subject and the forest which is a wealth of possibilities. But there's no interplay between those, apart from the one where she's laid on the log (which looks awkward and forced rather than anything organic).As others have said, the posing is flat, there's nothing to show the personality of the model or to tell any kind of a story within the frame. The strongest one is probably the meditation photo but that's more a result of the contrasts within the image than the fact that she has her top off.

If you're going for a forest fae vibe, how did you intend to show that? Just through makeup and props?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
They lack any real connection. If your going for not-just-tits, they need something to pull the viewer that way. Dark, or threatening, or playful, or supernatural, but not just nude in the woods.

The model is stiff, or the direction to the model was stiff.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Helen Highwater posted:

As a set I didn't understand what you wanted to show other than 'topless lady in woods'. The first two are poorly lit and even if the images were more interesting, this makes it hard to want to be drawn into them.

It feels like you have two separate themes and they don't ever really come together to form a whole. There's the lady who could be an interesting subject and the forest which is a wealth of possibilities. But there's no interplay between those, apart from the one where she's laid on the log (which looks awkward and forced rather than anything organic).As others have said, the posing is flat, there's nothing to show the personality of the model or to tell any kind of a story within the frame. The strongest one is probably the meditation photo but that's more a result of the contrasts within the image than the fact that she has her top off.

If you're going for a forest fae vibe, how did you intend to show that? Just through makeup and props?

Conceptually I agree it could have been better thought out. But I work in a vacuum where the only feedback I get is from the client, who largely like what I do. So it's difficult for me to stay focused on where I draw inspiration from while also trying to produce technically good photographs. When you all do a shoot, does the responsibility for posing fall upon you or the model? Like I get adding input like "move your arm this way so its not in your face" and "you need to tilt your head further this way to catch the light better". But I do the posing too. Like "okay for this shot have a seat here, look this way, do this with your hands, that with your legs, lean this way, etc". Then I worry about camera composition, exposure, lighting, etc. It feels like I just need more bandwidth to also focus on theming, concept, or intent.

I'm not exactly well versed in fantasy, supernatural, or otherworldly thematic elements. I was largely going to rely on wardrobe, makeup, props, posing, and post to portray wistful and carefree. The nude aspect is supposed to feed the carefee feel. But I guess I failed there. Like conceptually for me this shoot was more for figuring out the logistics of the location, lighting, and post processing technique.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 23, 2022

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Look at other photos and find ones you like. Think about what you like about them and how to accomplish that.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

to add to everything else that's been said, the long lens really amps up the stalker vibes

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Don't limit yourself to photography as inspiration especially if we're talking fantasy look at paintings and illustration. I think the shot of the model touching the water features a lovely classical pose that shows wonderful expressiveness and form. The scene is simple and made up of strong elements. You get a genuine sense of connection to the environment and it's playful and much more natural. The reflection of the leg and ripples in the water are cool. Technically it's still sloppy. It needs better lighting and a better crop, probably a lower angle, but it gets much closer to evoking something other than awkwardness than the rest in the series.

If you are struggling with managing things on site you need a more thorough plan. Especially when working with a model you aren't familiar with and especially for nudes. Find some locations that are visually arresting beforehand. Think about how your model can use the expressiveness of their body to play in that form and make that connection. It's a cliche but if you must, tell a story.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously I feel like I'm learning more from this feedback than YEARS of looking at other peoples' work. I really appreciate it.

bobmarleysghost posted:

to add to everything else that's been said, the long lens really amps up the stalker vibes

Oof. I didn't feel that at all, I don't like the distortion you start getting under 70mm so I used the 70-200 the whole shoot. But I get what you're saying.

Twenties Superstar posted:

Don't limit yourself to photography as inspiration especially if we're talking fantasy look at paintings and illustration. I think the shot of the model touching the water features a lovely classical pose that shows wonderful expressiveness and form. The scene is simple and made up of strong elements. You get a genuine sense of connection to the environment and it's playful and much more natural. The reflection of the leg and ripples in the water are cool. Technically it's still sloppy. It needs better lighting and a better crop, probably a lower angle, but it gets much closer to evoking something other than awkwardness than the rest in the series.

Hmm you put into words why I felt like that was the strongest photo of the bunch. Funny thing about that is that I was literally laying on the ground for that shot. The shore slopes pretty aggressively into the water. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

I love the idea of drawing inspiration from other mediums. Didn't think to look.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

um excuse me posted:

I love the idea of drawing inspiration from other mediums. Didn't think to look.

Put pre-rapahelite into Google image search.

About posing, I work with a lot of models with different levels of experience. The less experienced the model, or the more specific the concept is, the more directing I'll expect to do. That will absolutely involve figuring out poses as well as micro-managing limb placement, chin elevation, and so on. I had a great shoot a few years ago when I explained the concept to the model, she was 100% all over it and she had more than enough experience to just run with it. She moved, and I shot. It was as simple as that. Othertimes it's friends I've drafted in, or I've got a set of images in my head and I need to get that over to the model. If that's the case, then yeah, you need to allocate more time to make sure you are doing that properly and still producing technically good photos from that effort.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

I'll never not be exclusively in love with my 135mm

um excuse me posted:

Seriously I feel like I'm learning more from this feedback than YEARS of looking at other peoples' work. I really appreciate it.

sometimes it's helpful when people who know their stuff comment because they can articulate something you might have been subconsciously aware of but never known to put a finger on. BUT don't forget these are also just other's opinions, and just because someone speaks with a sense of authority doesn't mean they're correct.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The advice here is definitely hard to swallow sometimes. Especially when the advice is actually unconstructive criticism. Dorkroom could improve in this area. But I'd rather have harsh advice than none at all. I know of very few places on the internet where you can still get stuff this good.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A few shots from yesterday's shoot. Yes my clients don't like wearing clothes deal with it.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

The photoshop cut out of the hair here looks dreadful. What did it look like before the background was replaced?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's not photoshopped. She stood in front of an umbrella.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

um excuse me posted:

It's not photoshopped. She stood in front of an umbrella.

LOL c'mon dude. I've quickly photoshopped plenty of model photos on to dumb flyers in my time. I know exactly what it makes the hair look like and this is it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Well I guess you need to shoot more?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

a wise man once told me that even if you can drink a beer with every meal, you don't have to drink a beer with every meal. i think the same sort of thing could be said for taking portraits and using a lot of flash

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Well I guess you need to shoot more?

Do you see the part in your original image where your editing removed her hair on the right side of the image and then it just starts up again? This doesn't look good. I'm not a portrait photographer so I'm not here to critique your composition or anything, but the photoshopping you did to remove the background where the umbrella light is way too heavy handed and makes the hair look very poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The sliders I use to get that contrast back could have been applied as a bush instead of to the entire image, leaving the hair at the terminus more naturally faded. The bloom from the lighting bleeding over the subject is an intentional choice. It's also the reason I need larger, box style diffusers instead of the umbrellas. I have been waiting for anyone to stock a 60 inch parabolic softbox for months.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 27, 2022