Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Sad that he threw a shitload of money at a loser that he didn't bother vetting, Ken Griffin is packing up his poo poo and going to Florida a place where his lovely politics are the norm.

https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1539980574445768708

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

How many people does some poo poo head's hedge fund company even employee? Good riddance.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

The article says it's about 1,000 employees and that some will remain in the Chicago office they'll be keeping.

My biggest annoyance with the content of that article is that Griffin effectively bought the naming rights to the MSI for a $125 million "donation". gently caress that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Big Black Dick posted:

The article says it's about 1,000 employees and that some will remain in the Chicago office they'll be keeping.

My biggest annoyance with the content of that article is that Griffin effectively bought the naming rights to the MSI for a $125 million "donation". gently caress that.

Good loving riddance, now stop polluting our drat state with your excess wealth. Maybe we can get the graduated income tax back on the ballot now and really start fixing poo poo in this corrupt, messed up state.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
the naming rights thing I don't mind because trading vanity for public works is about as time honored a way to get nice things as you want, but also gently caress him and I hope that he has to trudge through feces in the next miami flood

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Oracle posted:

Good loving riddance, now stop polluting our drat state with your excess wealth. Maybe we can get the graduated income tax back on the ballot now and really start fixing poo poo in this corrupt, messed up state.

I forgot about the tax thing he hosed up. They should definitely take another go at it now.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Clouseau posted:

Sad that he threw a shitload of money at a loser that he didn't bother vetting, Ken Griffin is packing up his poo poo and going to Florida a place where his lovely politics are the norm.

https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1539980574445768708

:lol: Miami’s got like ten years, 20 years tops!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:lol: Miami’s got like ten years, 20 years tops!

And so many techbros are moving there its driving up real estate prices.

Miami: the bitcoin of real estate.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also crime rate is going up in Miami and is actually higher than Chicago these days which is supposedly one of his reasons.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
https://twitter.com/geoffreycubbage/status/1540050438040571908?s=21&t=ejwLLzg9-HXovCSGs-0ABw

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Good riddance. I really don’t give a shot if rear end in a top hat millionaires want to leave our state for the south. Less of them the better.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Clouseau posted:

I forgot about the tax thing he hosed up. They should definitely take another go at it now.

He'll still spend millions to beat it, just out of principle.

Pritzker had the option to say gently caress You and raise taxes on everyone in 2020, but he used COVID money to cover the budget until he gets reelected. Illinois is hosed in 2023.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

He'll still spend millions to beat it, just out of principle.

Pritzker had the option to say gently caress You and raise taxes on everyone in 2020, but he used COVID money to cover the budget until he gets reelected. Illinois is hosed in 2023.

How so? Show your work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Good riddance. I really don’t give a shot if rear end in a top hat millionaires want to leave our state for the south. Less of them the better.

Can we have legislation mandating that if a millionaire leaves, they can't come back?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Oracle posted:

How so? Show your work.

We have a barely balanced budget using billions of dollars of Federal Aid. Corporate profits have completely dropped off.

This article thinks Illinois can last until 2024 (the state fiscal year starts in July) but that was before the stock market tanked.

https://www.ctbaonline.org/reports/impending-fiscal-cliff-fy-2025

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

But how was Prtizker going to unilaterally raise taxes? He needs either a referendum or legislation.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The Dems have a supermajority, they could have pushed it through just to show people that Griffin was lying about the referendum.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

They can raise taxes whenever they want, there can just only be one tax rate for all incomes.

If they had balls they’d raise taxes 1% and then promise to lower it back down for everyone making less than $400k, but only if the referendum passes. :lol:

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
One of the dumber things I kept seeing pop up about the progressive tax was that “they could raise your taxes whenever they want!!!“ Definitely felt like I was fighting an uphill battle by explaining that that’s how it already works.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

borkencode posted:

One of the dumber things I kept seeing pop up about the progressive tax was that “they could raise your taxes whenever they want!!!“ Definitely felt like I was fighting an uphill battle by explaining that that’s how it already works.

God that pissed me off.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I saw a sign in my neighborhood against the progressive tax that read “if a billionaire wants it, you know it’s bad.”

Nearly had an aneurysm.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
SO WEIRD!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

What do they count as serious crime? Just wondering.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Bird in a Blender posted:

What do they count as serious crime? Just wondering.

In the thread he said violent crimes and property crimes.

"For the 2010-2020 decade, Chicago averaged about 990 violent crimes per capita, 3407 property crimes per capita. Miami clocks in at 940 violent and 4480 property."

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"a good start"

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

brugroffil posted:

"a good start"

I wonder why they don't have 2022 on there :thunk:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

:thunk: I assumed it was an old screen cap but the temp says 88* so it's gotta be within the last few weeks

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zarin posted:

I wonder why they don't have 2022 on there :thunk:

its only half over and they probably don't have the statistics on hand.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

JB is calling an abortion rights special session. It’s already (near) maximum abortion rights so probably will be stuff like public funding for clinics or doing stuff to help people come here from out of state.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Rs (like Pence) are already calling for a national abortion ban so there will probably be language in preparation for those bills going forward if (when) Rs gain control of Congress.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Are there protests or volunteer opportunities that folks know about?? Two summers ago Instagram was key for finding out about stuff but I’m off social media and don’t really know how to connect with my immediate community as well.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Badger of Basra posted:

JB is calling an abortion rights special session. It’s already (near) maximum abortion rights so probably will be stuff like public funding for clinics or doing stuff to help people come here from out of state.

I really do appreciate our large adult governor.

uggy posted:

Are there protests or volunteer opportunities that folks know about?? Two summers ago Instagram was key for finding out about stuff but I’m off social media and don’t really know how to connect with my immediate community as well.

Where are you in the state? There's a protest at Federal Plaza in Chicago today at 5:30, might be others local to where you are.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I’m off the brown line, city stuff

Thank you!

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Rs (like Pence) are already calling for a national abortion ban so there will probably be language in preparation for those bills going forward if (when) Rs gain control of Congress.

State's Rights (except for stuff we don't agree with!) :jerkbag:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Big Black Dick posted:

State's Rights (except for stuff we don't agree with!) :jerkbag:

New York feeling that burn right now.

Exciting times we live in! We're all idiots for letting this happen.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
How the gently caress did Susan Collins get re-elected?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The people of Maine, much like all voters, are dumb as rocks

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The X-man cometh posted:

How the gently caress did Susan Collins get re-elected?

ES&S voting machines. :tinfoil:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

xzzy posted:

New York feeling that burn right now.

Exciting times we live in! We're all idiots for letting this happen.

Whenever the public believes that both candidates are the same we tend to get very bad presidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/DannyKDavis7th/status/1540854903207145472

:pwn: