Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno how I'd feel on this if I were a Lightning fan. On the one hand, two cups, so who cares but on the other hand they're on the doorstep of absolute hockey immortality and THAT probably closed the door on it.

I dunno if it makes it better or worse that they were probably losing that game anyway with the way the Avs were all over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Pens game 6 in nashville in 2017 when the ref didn't see the preds score a goal.

Also that game 7 against detroit in 2009 when orpik iced the puck (didn't get called) and talbot goes on to score.

cheat to win

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There was also a pretty egregious non-call on obvious icing by the Red Wings in the third period of game 7 2009. Don't remember which Red Wing it was but I definitely remember Mike Lange screaming "HOW IS THAT NOT ICING!?"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Agreed, the Penguins should all be in loving jail.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MJeff posted:

Agreed, the Penguins should all be in loving jail.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I remember the good old days when the big missed call debate was Gretzky high sticking Gilmour. Luckily the Leafs have given their fans many new heartbreakers since to push that one from their minds.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the best thing with Colorado winning the cup would be a bunch of GMs finally deciding to copy a fast team and building for fun hockey again.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I remember the good old days when the big missed call debate was Gretzky high sticking Gilmour. Luckily the Leafs have given their fans many new heartbreakers since to push that one from their minds.

I’ve said this before but as a later in life hockey fan watching the game on Google Video was incredibly underwhelming, it’s one call in a game the Leafs weren’t very good in and didn’t even lose the series, they had a whole other game to play that they lost without controversy. I seriously cannot believe people spent so long fixating on that moment, and I mostly blame Damien Cox and Steve Simmons for never letting it go.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fisting by many posted:

I believe the rule is to award it to the player who took the faceoff, even if he never actually touched it. Would have to double check.

Yeah I remember the Habs scoring on themselves off a draw once and Bergeron got it for taking it even though he lost clean.

Which he clearly did on purpose knowing what would happen.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

MononcQc posted:

the best thing with Colorado winning the cup would be a bunch of GMs finally deciding to copy a fast team and building for fun hockey again.

Go avs

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Kind of annoying that the Blues put up the biggest fight so far against the Avs and had a real shot of beating them if their goalie didn't get Kypreos'd

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I mean we could be talking about how Tampa made a change themselves when their guy was 30 feet from the bench. We could be talking about how the side angle shot clearly shows Cirelli gets his stick up into Kuemper's mask. Maybe we could discuss how Nikita Kucherov did gently caress all again, or how old and slow Tampa's defense looks. But I'm pinning Tampa's loss on the crimes against humanity perpetrated by one Nazem Osama bin Laden Hussein Kadri as he potentially got on the ice a little too soon in overtime.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Simplex posted:

I mean we could be talking about how Tampa made a change themselves when their guy was 30 feet from the bench. We could be talking about how the side angle shot clearly shows Cirelli gets his stick up into Kuemper's mask. Maybe we could discuss how Nikita Kucherov did gently caress all again, or how old and slow Tampa's defense looks. But I'm pinning Tampa's loss on the crimes against humanity perpetrated by one Nazem Osama bin Laden Hussein Kadri as he potentially got on the ice a little too soon in overtime.

Hrmmm literally no one is doing this tho

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

I’ve said this before but as a later in life hockey fan watching the game on Google Video was incredibly underwhelming, it’s one call in a game the Leafs weren’t very good in and didn’t even lose the series, they had a whole other game to play that they lost without controversy. I seriously cannot believe people spent so long fixating on that moment, and I mostly blame Damien Cox and Steve Simmons for never letting it go.

I was going to say it was notable because they didn't make a lot of deep runs in the 90s but I forgot that they actually made the conference finals again the very next year only to lose to the Canucks. And then again 98-99 only to lose to Buffalo.

I forgot they had that many ECF appearances in the 90s.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Ginette Reno posted:

I was going to say it was notable because they didn't make a lot of deep runs in the 90s but I forgot that they actually made the conference finals again the very next year only to lose to the Canucks. And then again 98-99 only to lose to Buffalo.

I forgot they had that many ECF appearances in the 90s.

why go to all those SCF and not win the cup? seems exhausting, OP

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Wait are coaches not supposed to work the refs any more?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Simplex posted:

Who do you think you're responding to right now?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mind_Taker posted:

Wait are coaches not supposed to work the refs any more?

They are definitely.

I can’t wait for game 5 when they call a Too Many penalty on Tampa.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
Plenty of people have pointed out the amount of hockey the lightning have played in the last 3 years. Maybe I'm slow but I'm only now realizing it's not just 50 extra games, it's 50 extra playoff games where if your leg falls off you staple it back on and keep skating. Probably worse than if they played a full extra non-covid season in the same span.

Then again teams have won 4 and 5 in a row. I don't know how dependent they were on the same core of aged guys, but they were playing a much more physical game. Much to consider.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

MononcQc posted:

This is the NHL. The takeaway will be that they won because of their deadline acquisitions of Lehkonen and Cogliano and the market for 4th liners will ratchet up again.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If Kadri was the guy who came off the bench then yeah technically it was too much man. This is the first time a missed call has ever decided the outcome of a game, so I can understand why Tampa Bay would be upset. We’re in uncharted waters here, folks.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ThinkTank posted:

Probably too many men by the letter of the law but you don't often see that called especially in a deciding game. With that said Colorado were all over Tampa after the first period and absolutely cooking in OT. It was just a matter of time until they scored.

And that's the real problem. Honestly might get better reffing if players called their own fouls

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Arguing about this is how we got into a reality with coach challenges and video review of offsides.

Choose the better path, goons. For the love of the game.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

go for a stroll posted:

Plenty of people have pointed out the amount of hockey the lightning have played in the last 3 years. Maybe I'm slow but I'm only now realizing it's not just 50 extra games, it's 50 extra playoff games where if your leg falls off you staple it back on and keep skating. Probably worse than if they played a full extra non-covid season in the same span.

Then again teams have won 4 and 5 in a row. I don't know how dependent they were on the same core of aged guys, but they were playing a much more physical game. Much to consider.

Given that there are now 32 teams versus like, 20-25, it’s def harder now to win 3-4 in a row, which is probably a good part of why it doesn’t happen.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If Kadri was the guy who came off the bench then yeah technically it was too much man. This is the first time a missed call has ever decided the outcome of a game, so I can understand why Tampa Bay would be upset. We’re in uncharted waters here, folks.

I appreciate this post.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
ban video review of everything except for pucks crossing the goal line. no review of offsides, no review of anything else like hand passes leading to goals in overtime like the Sharks that one time. hockey (and by extension all sports) are human endeavors and with that comes the potential for error and self-reflection on how to improve an imperfect but likely fair system in the long run and that doesn't need to be through increased scrutiny on every single thing. don't feed the industrial sports take ecosystem. be good to each other. namaste.

important note: if my team gets screwed in a big spot because of a ref's call, rescind everything I just said and we should turn sports into more of a surveillance state than it already is

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 23, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you're going to have video review at least buy some better loving cameras. Or have some drones zipping around giving sweet overhead views and occasionally getting destroyed by clapper bombs.

e: I know they've tried skycams before but I want to see drones shot down, drat it. Bonus points if they crash into Corey Perry.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 23, 2022

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Bring Mick McGough and Kerry Fraser out of retirement for one last game

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

eXXon posted:

If you're going to have video review at least buy some better loving cameras. Or have some drones zipping around giving sweet overhead views and occasionally getting destroyed by clapper bombs.

e: I know they've tried skycams before but I want to see drones shot down, drat it. Bonus points if they crash into Corey Perry.

A waiting room I was in yesterday had a 3-on-3 game on tv (Team Brian Trottier vs Team Grant Fuhr) where the refs had cameras and the goal replays using ref cams fuckin ruled, reminded me of the camera guy following the shootout in the All-Star game

If they’re out there missing calls/Letting Them Play anyways, may as well give a linesman a video camera to capture some sick footy

Obviously not viable for

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MJeff posted:

I dunno how I'd feel on this if I were a Lightning fan. On the one hand, two cups, so who cares but on the other hand they're on the doorstep of absolute hockey immortality and THAT probably closed the door on it.

I dunno if it makes it better or worse that they were probably losing that game anyway with the way the Avs were all over them.

Winning in 7 tho to achieve even greater hockey immortality :getin:

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
The Avs got bumped from the playoffs because of a stupid offside call on Landeskog in a game 7 where he was nowhere near the play and was hopping over the wall onto the bench, so the linesmen owe us.

acidx fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 23, 2022

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ban on-the-fly changes and make it like basketball where you have to wait for a whistle to make a substitution.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Ban on-the-fly changes and make it like basketball where you have to wait for a whistle to make a substitution.

And increase the timeouts to 6 per half per team.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The joke is actually on Avs fans because they're the ones who will have to spend hundreds on championship gear.

Have fun, idiots.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

acidx posted:

The Avs got bumped from the playoffs because of a stupid offside call on Landeskog in a game 7 where he was nowhere near the play and was hopping over the wall onto the bench, so the linesmen owe us.

haha I was trying to remember who that happened against cause man was that really funny

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

acidx posted:

The Avs and Duchene are why we have coach's challenge of offside to begin with.

Nothing makes up for that.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
That Duchene offside is awesome... it's the most unsure breakaway I've seen and I watched Blake Coleman Comeau make a drop pass on one.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

haha I was trying to remember who that happened against cause man was that really funny

LOL Avs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QbgWMNbEow

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Was this the year SJ got every break imaginable with the hand pass and the Vegas major

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bard Maddox posted:

ban video review of everything except for pucks crossing the goal line. no review of offsides, no review of anything else like hand passes leading to goals in overtime like the Sharks that one time. hockey (and by extension all sports) are human endeavors and with that comes the potential for error and self-reflection on how to improve an imperfect but likely fair system in the long run and that doesn't need to be through increased scrutiny on every single thing. don't feed the industrial sports take ecosystem. be good to each other. namaste.

important note: if my team gets screwed in a big spot because of a ref's call, rescind everything I just said and we should turn sports into more of a surveillance state than it already is

I think it's good to be able to review things as a check against refs with an agenda. But it should strictly be you get 30 seconds max to watch full speed replays and if it isn't immediately obvious the call was wrong, it stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was this the year SJ got every break imaginable with the hand pass and the Vegas major

Yup that was the year. Last time they've been to the playoffs. :unsmith: