Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Sam D'Arnold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

lmao, oh Snyder

lol great content. up there with:

"sir, the question was, 'is this your signature?'"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Giving Baker an extension isn't crazy as long as the money is reasonable.

The browns might have to extend him (and overpay due to everything) based on the watson situation.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kawalimus posted:

Mayfield was good in 2020--not contending for all-pro or anything but 26 TD to 8 INT is a pretty strong showing. Last year he was just eh but was hurt most of the year. He's not comparable to someone like Sam D'arnold who I think is what everyone is thinking of. D'arnold at his best was never even close to as good as Mayfield at his worst.

Mayfield is a straight up good option for a team like Seattle looking for a QB and maybe even worth extending depending on the price

Gotta disagree, my friend. Mayfield is not a good option for a team like Seattle.

Mayfield had better rbs, pass catchers, and offensive line than he will have in Seattle. Mayfield was in an incredibly QB friendly scheme. It is extremely unlikely that Mayfield will ever have a year as good as his 2020, in Seattle.

Seattle, on the other hand, had trouble winning in the playoffs with an elite franchise quarterback. Why do you think they'd suddenly have better playoff performance with an average qb?

The outcome of Mayfield on the hawks is they get stuck on the mediocrity treadmill of being too good for a high draft pick but too bad to do anything meaningful related to the post season.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Gotta disagree, my friend. Mayfield is not a good option for a team like Seattle.

Mayfield had better rbs, pass catchers, and offensive line than he will have in Seattle. Mayfield was in an incredibly QB friendly scheme. It is extremely unlikely that Mayfield will ever have a year as good as his 2020, in Seattle.

Seattle, on the other hand, had trouble winning in the playoffs with an elite franchise quarterback. Why do you think they'd suddenly have better playoff performance with an average qb?

The outcome of Mayfield on the hawks is they get stuck on the mediocrity treadmill of being too good for a high draft pick but too bad to do anything meaningful related to the post season.

He was drafted #1 overall to an 0-16 team and they were 7-8-1 the next season with him starting as a rookie. I'm not a big believer in that sort of tanking.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I don’t understand what your response has to do with my post. Getting stuck in mediocrity is independent of actively tanking.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I don’t understand what your response has to do with my post. Getting stuck in mediocrity is independent of actively tanking.

I don't think Mayfield is as bad of an option as you're saying, he had success even as a rookie going onto a team that was 0-16 the previous year on a franchise with a modern history of pure misery. And they were able to build a team around him. So it's a perfectly fine idea for the Seahawks to give things a try if the price is right.

Just throwing your hands up and being bad doesn't guarantee those higher draft picks will result in a better team, as we've seen for years with many franchises. The Bills got Josh Allen not with the #1 overall but #7. Patrick Mahomes was #10. Lamar Jackson a #32. You can very easily just get stuck in a "dreadmill" as much as a treadmill.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Baker will do well in Seattle. That’s a great move if you can get him for cheap and a moderately priced extension

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fsif posted:

Sam D'Arnold
Came to post this.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I guess the issue is if Seattle wants to bother trying to compete with the NFCW this upcoming season with the reigning Super Bowl Rams, the frisky 49'ers, and… umm… the Cardinals.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kawalimus posted:

I don't think Mayfield is as bad of an option as you're saying, he had success even as a rookie going onto a team that was 0-16 the previous year on a franchise with a modern history of pure misery. And they were able to build a team around him. So it's a perfectly fine idea for the Seahawks to give things a try if the price is right.

Just throwing your hands up and being bad doesn't guarantee those higher draft picks will result in a better team, as we've seen for years with many franchises. The Bills got Josh Allen not with the #1 overall but #7. Patrick Mahomes was #10. Lamar Jackson a #32. You can very easily just get stuck in a "dreadmill" as much as a treadmill.

The point is that they had a good team around Mayfield and then built a great team around Mayfield and he was still less productive than elite qbs.

Of course being bad doesn't guarantee that those higher draft picks will pan out. Any draft pick is a gamble. But it's objectively true that generally the better QB prospects go higher than worse QB prospects.

The teams that are consistently at the top of the draft are there because a combination of just awful Coaching/GM and/or no franchise quarterback (also SF had a few years of abysmal injuries). So if Pete and John do get stuck in the "dreadmill" then that indicates that they suck rear end and should be fired.

Mayfield is not going to help Seattle win a superbowl. Heck, he's not even going to help Seattle win the NFC West.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 23, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's not gonna be hard to make the playoffs in the NFC

Outside the Buccaneers / Packers / Rams / NFC East, and I guess you can add the 49ers if you pretend their QB situation is fine.

That's still leaving 2 spots for the Saints, Vikings, Cardinals, and rest of the NFC East to fight over... Not exactly murderer's row and that's even before injuries decapitate anybody.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Baker's situation on the Browns was pretty good but his receiving corps was mediocre. Not many QBs are putting up elite numbers there.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

fsif posted:

Baker's situation on the Browns was pretty good but his receiving corps was mediocre. Not many QBs are putting up elite numbers there.

Landry, OBJ, Peoples-Jones seems pretty good?

I have not seen enough of Njoku to know if he good or not.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Kawalimus posted:

Sam D'arnold

Please don’t post the name of my half-orc rogue

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Wait a minute. There's no apostrophe there? What the hell. I have seen an apostrophe for the last several years. What the heck!!! This is one of those weird things. Man!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

fsif posted:

OBJ showed he wasn't nearly as bad as Baker made him look when he got to the Rams. Jarvis was more injured than Baker last year and had been solid previously.

God their injury management last year was loving stupid.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kawalimus posted:

Wait a minute. There's no apostrophe there? What the hell. I have seen an apostrophe for the last several years. What the heck!!! This is one of those weird things. Man!

:laffo:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mand'ela effect

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Joe F’lacco

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Landry, OBJ, Peoples-Jones seems pretty good?

I have not seen enough of Njoku to know if he good or not.

Where would the Browns' receiver room have ranked across NFL? No higher than, like, 20th. Beckham showed he had some value as a solid secondary option in LA, but he's not a top 30 guy and he was supposed to be Baker's WR1. Landry's a great slot guy and People-Jones is a JAG.

Not the worst group by a long shot but it was pretty limited and the Browns had an elite run game. So, you know, would not expect Burrow numbers from anyone in that situation.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/SBRSportsPicks/status/1540013685250326528

so the nfl's going to have to worry about this guy in a couple of years, right? wonder just how good this kid is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

OBJ showed he wasn't nearly as bad as Baker made him look when he got to the Rams.

He kinda had sameish production by rate stats-wise (possibly a little worse everywhere other than TDs which are admittedly important things), but he did it on a new team immediately with guys he wasn't used to playing with. How much of this is coaching or scheme or QB or whatever is up to debate.

I'm betting on coaching but I'm not going to die on this hill if someone has a better idea.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Sam of Arnold.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

We're talking about the Browns .... right? You could have put Josh Allen on that team and he'd probably be on his way out of the league. Mayfield will be good in a competent organization.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

He kinda had sameish production by rate stats-wise (possibly a little worse everywhere other than TDs which are admittedly important things), but he did it on a new team immediately with guys he wasn't used to playing with. How much of this is coaching or scheme or QB or whatever is up to debate.

I'm betting on coaching but I'm not going to die on this hill if someone has a better idea.

Mayfield just straight up couldn't throw to OBJ for whatever reason. Stefanski ain't the genius he got billed as in 2020 but I don't think the Mayfield to OBJ lack of connecting is on him. That wasn't strong under Kitchens to begin with.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Phobeste posted:

Please don’t post the name of my half-orc rogue

fartknocker posted:

Joe F’lacco

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Introducing the Goalline According to Samuel Trent D’Arnold

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
D’arnold was the worst Musketeer

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Dbrickashaw F'erguson

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Ęłî Mäń’ñïng

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Dbrickashaw F'erguson

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that was a real person. I figured it was one of the Key & Peele made-up ones.
https://www.audacy.com/sports/nfl/dbrickashaw-ferguson-inspired-iconic-key-and-peele-sketch

L’Carpetron Dookmarriot

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

The Arch Manning

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If Arch Manning is as good as advertised that's a hell of a lot of fun watching Texas go nuts for him. Good for them.

*I don't hate UT like everyone else, much prefer this to Alabama, LSU or Clemson

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
People keep hearing Baker extension and assuming its a big money extension. Duder could accept he is getting a paycut

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Zurreco posted:

People keep hearing Baker extension and assuming its a big money extension. Duder could accept he is getting a paycut

He's sitting at a year guaranteed and if he plays well sets himself up for 40+ the franchise tag with the market the way it is. There's no logical reason for him to want to sign an extension right now unless he knows he's brain broke.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that was a real person. I figured it was one of the Key & Peele made-up ones.
https://www.audacy.com/sports/nfl/dbrickashaw-ferguson-inspired-iconic-key-and-peele-sketch

L’Carpetron Dookmarriot

Pretty sure he’s in a later sketch where they sprinkle in some real players like Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and A.A. Ron Rodgers

Think it’s this one: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mDp-ABzpRX8

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Send Baker to Seattle.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Still kinda surprised the Texans haven't gone for Baker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Tim Whatley posted:

Still kinda surprised the Texans haven't gone for Baker

They're going to give Mills a chance. While Baker's not going to be a top level QB, he does present a threat to snaps for someone they internally might like more

They want to suck for better picks OP