Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’m glad americas mayor condemned these cars, saving countless lives https://twitter.com/phil_lewis_/status/1539572438752759808

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

mawarannahr posted:

I’m glad americas mayor condemned these cars, saving countless lives https://twitter.com/phil_lewis_/status/1539572438752759808

its real cool theres no places to legally ride these things, so gently caress him and the mayors in massachusetts and hartford and all over that do this rear end in a top hat poo poo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

i yelled "OH NO" out loud when I saw this lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

500excf type r posted:

its real cool theres no places to legally ride these things, so gently caress him and the mayors in massachusetts and hartford and all over that do this rear end in a top hat poo poo

i could see the logic in a supervised injection site approach for motorbike use…

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

500excf type r posted:

its real cool theres no places to legally ride these things

now we just need to expand the approach

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thank god Eric Adams is focusing on the important issue of ensuring people can't illegally ride dirt bikes on all of the mountain biking and hiking trails in NYC.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Irony.or.Death posted:

now we just need to expand the approach

Seriously, I live near the rockies and the dirt bikes and ATVs are outrageously damaging to the environment (they've basically ruined the water quality in the areas they're allowed to operate in in) and that's before you consider all the loving garbage the ATV campers leave out there.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
any "sport" that relies on an internal combustion engine can go gently caress itself tbh

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
So if they're electric that's okay?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

500excf type r posted:

if it involves the severe degradation of the environment not really no. Sorry downhill mtb'ers

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Remember when the government shut down for a couple weeks and within hours of it being announced, ATV/campers/dirt bikers descended on Joshua Tree to wreck the place and chainsaw trees for fun?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Remember when the government shut down for a couple weeks and within hours of it being announced, ATV/campers/dirt bikers descended on Joshua Tree to wreck the place and chainsaw trees for fun?

this is why the best place for atvs and dirt bikes is on streets in the city, their natural home

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Sounds like an issue with people and not forms of recreation tbh

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

500excf type r posted:

if the tires aren’t made of rubber or plastic, and the brakes don’t have pads that emit pollution every time you brake, and if the electricity verifiably comes from magic sources, feel free to send an application to the thread for consideration.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You swap cars out for ATVs and everybody wins

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Train racing should become a sport.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

500excf type r posted:

Sounds like an issue with people and not forms of recreation tbh

lib poo poo

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
what the gently caress is this supposed to do? they're turning away customers...

mystes
May 31, 2006

Homocow posted:

what the gently caress is this supposed to do? they're turning away customers...
Probably "keep the undesirables out"

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
City nerd made a good video about intersecting roads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v537SEfDag

mystes
May 31, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

His videos are really good when he goes into more technical traffic engineering stuff rather than just making top 10 list type things since he actually does that for a living.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
im glad nyc is getting rid of all those dangerous dirt bikes (opens nyt, sees article about 7 year old girl being run over by a gmc yukon that never saw her because the driver was on their phone)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I hate this. The video is good, but the fact that engineers are actually designing hellscapes with the best intentions in mind show how desperately a uniform federal policy needs to step in and create retro-active zero-growth lines.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/JohnSurico/status/1540019740328034304

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

NO CARS BUT STREETCARS
NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
What about train cars

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What about bumper cars

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/lyzl/status/1540677666574962689

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

plz explain how to pull those doors

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Just a little felony hit and run:
https://twitter.com/adamatic521/status/1540765682689658884?t=nHtLFoIb2VX1PoDyrRgpPg&s=19

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

i have been driving slow since reading this thread it is incredibly fun

three months ago i was constantly speeding

plan to sell my car this year

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hirsute posted:

What about train cars

Milo and POTUS posted:

What about bumper cars

"Carriages" and "dodgems". Sorted.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

'this e-bike life' out here asking the real questions

https://twitter.com/this_ebike_life/status/1540860373959643136?s=20&t=ErrLKGxHZSO_mkSs0azOcQ

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Or this gem in response to why the driver didn’t get out to check on the kid:

https://mobile.twitter.com/zoream/status/1541039138790588417

i know this deep into twitter replies is low hanging fruit, but lol, sick country we have

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

In many developing countries the wealth inequality is so high that only the super rich drive cars, and if you hit a pedestrian or bike you are supposed to keep going, as an angry mob will form at the scene and beat you to death if they can.

We're not quite there in the USA yet, but give it a few more years.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

platzapS posted:

i have been driving slow since reading this thread it is incredibly fun

three months ago i was constantly speeding

plan to sell my car this year

I wish I could live without a car. It's a huge cost for something I drive once a week (insurance, maintenance, depreciation). The total lack of public transportation forces me to own a car.

Texas has done an astonishing amount of work to stop public transportation. It's not just a total lack of funding from the state and local governments. Houston Metro couldn't even solicit federal funding for decades until Tom Delay's retirement. The history of Houston Metro is white suburbs and highway industry repeatedly squashing any attempt at Metro expansion. The racism and highway money is a strong combination. It's why our Metro light rail system only extends into minority neighborhoods and never crosses into the whiter west half of Houston.

Of course most Republicans don't say they're totally opposed to public transportation and light rail lines. They are ready to compromise and propose solution such as rail lines built somewhere far away, somewhere totally useless, or somehow a line that is completely disconnected from the wider system so only richer white people could use it, even though probably they won't.

edit: I love the Houston light rail because it runs over idiot car drivers all the time. They have a crash every week, but this could be vastly improved. There are plenty more near misses where the light rail stops to let someone running a red light through. I propose adding bull bars to the front of each light rail car to run over many more cars.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 16:40 on Jun 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Bout to ride a couple of hours into the woods to a secret swimming hole withy kid. As we are preparing we have to consider how to pack lightly but also ensure we have food, water, and the ability to make minor repairs as well as being mindful of the weather and time of day. We have to be clear eyed about our own physical ability as well.

With a car none of this matters. You can load the minivan up with hundreds of lbs of garbage, you are not exposed to the weather and there's always fast food somewhere.

But the sense of adventure is gone as well as the pride of accomplishment and self reliance. Cars are less fun and also make you weak physically and mentally.