Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Yeah, you kind of lost me at "after he broke his NDA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I can *sorta* see why he'd think it's ok, but yeah, you don't gently caress with NDAs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah, like if you have an NDA/embargo, even if it's been shown/leaked or released in other places for real(in this case it doesn't look like it was) you shouldn't post anything that would break it without clearing it past the NDA issuer first.

Nothing GW did here was particularly unreasonable. If you break an NDA/Embargo in any industry you are liable to get smacked hard.

If I break a work NDA or talk about privileged information I have access to, I'm likely to get fired, and I'm protected by a union.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Uh yeah. I have to be really careful with my Gloomhaven shitposting due to my NDA. If I broke that I'd expect some serious penalties. Not working with them anymore would be a given.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MeinPanzer posted:

Obviously being a content creator is a privilege, but GW's response seems to be way out of proportion with Miniac's infraction.

The part where he talks about feeling "discarded" like GW is a friend being cold and not a corporation viewing him as a liability is odd.

Like, GW isn't your friend, lol, they don't give a poo poo. Share prices up and profits well into the black and nothing else matters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It maps to the parasocial nature of his sub industry, though. It's probably really hard to unblur professional and personal associations once you're neck deep in influencer culture.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

There are some bullshit NDAs and having to outsource to have time to do what they want you to do seems a bit lovely, but just leaking new models does seem like a pretty open and shut case of reasonable NDA usage. And echoing what others have said: companies are never your friends, your contact at the company might, but they still have to listen to their bosses and can't always protect you.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

moths posted:

It maps to the parasocial nature of his sub industry, though. It's probably really hard to unblur professional and personal associations once you're neck deep in influencer culture.

This is what I was interested in discussing with posting this. Obviously he's at fault for violating an embargo and breaking an NDA, and GW terminating his contract is the logical legal consequence of that. But corporations do have discretion in how they enforce those kinds of contracts, and I found it surprising that someone loving up and posting something that they quickly took down again when notified would be cut off so abruptly. There was obviously no malice involved, since he posted it to his IG and didn't try to hide what he did.

I mean, from GW's perspective, you'd think it would be worthwhile to give someone a bit of leeway, since there aren't exactly bucketloads of high profile mini painters with tens of thousands of followers on social media.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 23, 2022

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I mean if they wanted to they can always find another painter and prop him up so it's not like he is irreplacable. On the other hand if they let one guy get away with breaking contracts with them because he is popular then what is a message here

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

There are plenty of painters good enough to become that popular if they had the weight of GW behind them, though, and that's probably how whoever runs the partner program looks at it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MeinPanzer posted:

This is what I was interested in discussing with posting this. Obviously he's at fault for violating an embargo and breaking an NDA, and GW terminating his contract is the logical legal consequence of that. But corporations do have discretion in how they enforce those kinds of contracts, and I found it surprising that someone loving up and posting something that they quickly took down again when notified would be cut off so abruptly. There was obviously no malice involved, since he posted it to his IG and didn't try to hide what he did.

I mean, from GW's perspective, you'd think it would be worthwhile to give someone a bit of leeway, since there aren't exactly bucketloads of high profile mini painters with tens of thousands of followers on social media.

Legal departments are not encouraged to be forgiving, as that could be seen to encourage bad actors.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

The other thing to consider is that these guys are essentially click vampires.

Consider what happens if one breaks NDA without consequence. The whole cadre of demi-representatives suddenly has no reason to adhere to the agreement. The incentive of an exclusive "accidental leak" would be irresistible. The whole model unravels.

It stinks, but you can't sign an NDA and then subcontract out the thing you promised not to disclose. I've worked jobs where that would have gotten me fired, fined, criminally charged, or all of the above. Dude's lucky they just dumped him.

It's weird to see someone acting from both sides of the parasocial mindset here, though. The whole phenomenon of parasocial relationships is fascinating, and tabletop and video-gamers seem especially prone to investing in them.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The guy acts as a company's independent advertising and then does something that would get you written up if you were an actual employee of the company. Getting cut off is the natural expected consequence.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Miniac also is on record as not liking Space Marines at all, and Horus Heresy in particular. He was a strange choice to begin with, and the fact he cared so little about this huge launch is pretty unsurprising.

The fact that he is crying about being lightly punished for breaking his contract has really lost him even more clout than if he had quietly accepted his punishment and got back on with posting videos.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Aren't NDAs supposed to be unenforceable? Or is that non-competes

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

NDAs are absolutely enforceable and have been heavily enforced for a very long time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

they aren't actually even leveraging the NDA in any legal capacity. They're just choosing to not continue a professional relationship with him, which doesn't really require any reason beyond what GW wants to do so.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You're thinking of non-competes, and those are variably enforceable depending on jurisdiction and precise language. There are definitely forms of non-competes that have been enforced in certain states and situations. There are also jurisdictions where they're almost totally unenforceable, like here in California.

And this guy may have only accidentally busted his NDA, but when you sign an NDA you are signing up to be meticulously careful. "I thought this had already been leaked on some other channel" isn't sufficient reason to be cavalier; the smart thing to do would have been to contact GW and ask if those specific models were safe to post. Communication is critical. GW not only has the legal right to sever this relationship, they have a reasonable right to consider that this person didn't take the NDA seriously enough to bother to communicate. You don't want to continue a business relationship with someone that careless.

None of this should be construed as actually condoning the practice of using social media personalities as essentially free advertising, or paying people for their work in product instead of money, etc. That's hardly a thing GW invented or is alone in doing, but it's a gross labor practice across a lot of industries and I'd love to see it fade away (or be eliminated via legislation). If you want someone to paint your models for an upcoming convention, you should pay them costs and labor for their work, instead of doling out "free product" to someone who is supposed to recoup their actual costs on their own by hustling for pennies and clicks on youtube.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
oh wait lmao they weren't getting paid at all for this

lmao, and they dropped 1k to have someone else do it.

Jesus christ hobbyist media suuuucks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mors Rattus posted:

Legal departments are not encouraged to be forgiving, as that could be seen to encourage bad actors.

This is what it boils down to. They drew a line and when that line's crossed, even if it's understandable for a person to make that mistake, there's consequences.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

MeinPanzer posted:

It's also unusual to hear a content creator talk so frankly about the costs and stresses of trying to produce enough to keep up with the demands of sponsorship, including paying someone a grand to paint an army.

Maybe I don't pay enough attention, but I feel that this is the second line of defense for any content creator that enters the 'find out' phase of loving around (right after nonapologizing)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dexo posted:

oh wait lmao they weren't getting paid at all for this

lmao, and they dropped 1k to have someone else do it.

Jesus christ hobbyist media suuuucks.

I mean, he makes money from YouTube, so it isn't exactly outside the scope of any other business expense.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Are people actually doing this for YouTube pennies or is that just another stepping stone towards Patreon/ Kickstarter money?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No one has a 100k plus sub count on youtube without a patreon.

jadarx
May 25, 2012
GW is also been having army books months out from release getting leaked in their entirety rules-wise. I can see their legal being a little more on edge with NDA breaks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

moths posted:

Are people actually doing this for YouTube pennies or is that just another stepping stone towards Patreon/ Kickstarter money?

YouTube money is actually pretty good if you have any reasonable level of viewcount.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TEEF NOT TERF made me snort laugh so loud I scared the cats.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

I'm delurking because I absolutely must know the source of this image, if you have it.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

wizzardstaff posted:

I'm delurking because I absolutely must know the source of this image, if you have it.

GIS turns up an artist called AutumnArchfey.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Toshimo posted:

YouTube money is actually pretty good if you have any reasonable level of viewcount.

That depends entirely on how much the algorithm god and ad devils favors you at any particular moment.
This guy with 1.4m subs and 200-600k views per video couldn't stay afloat without patreon currently.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Different niches can pay wildly differently. All depends on what advertisers want to put adds on your videos.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

That guy acts like he is working for GW in that video too, making them money. He does Youtube because it makes him money. He's not a volunteer, or on the GW payroll. Yikes

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

alg posted:

That guy acts like he is working for GW in that video too, making them money. He does Youtube because it makes him money. He's not a volunteer, or on the GW payroll. Yikes

Errr, I mean, I still don't think he has a good argument but he does make GW money. Whether he's directly paid or not they contracted him because it's a mutually beneficial relationship where he benefits from getting early access to product that he can review and they benefit from him basically doing PR for their product. That is the influencer business model, for better or for worse.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Love this, they should have an Agender pride flag too!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/RollPersuasion/status/1540840652908412928

Whoopsie doodle.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

He doesn’t need to be on the website to keep working for the company, which means he just could not resist being up there for his own vanity. Truly incredible.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The man is obviously crushed. He's wearing a shirt with sleeves for godsake.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Tendales posted:

The man is obviously crushed. He's wearing a shirt with sleeves for godsake.

The sleeves are actually a magic item in their next book. They provide advantage on saving throws against shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
What's really funny to me is that the twitter link on his bio takes you to an internet archive snapshot of his twitter from before everyone found out what a shithead he is.